Ryusoulger 17 released

Another dinosaur Sentai???
Forum rules

Ryusoulger Wiki Link

< LVSP | Kishiryuu Sentai Ryusoulger | Kiramager >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:33 pm

★★★★★
30%
★★★★
50%
★★★
No votes
★★
No votes
20%

Total votes: 10
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Ryusoulger 17 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Previous episode rating: 3.75 / 5 (8 votes)

Alt Title: I deny moonbow as a thing

You know what, that was a pretty good episode of Ryusoulger

I have some nit picks of course:
-WTF Canalo, how old are you. How do you not know how rainbows work?
-Little kid, how are you more impressed by the rainbow than the free willy sized dinosaur?
-Is Wiseru good at hypnotism? I'll admit that detailswise I'm checked out of this series, but I swear to god this is the first time I've heard of Wiseru having this ability.
-Why didn't Mosa Rex take advantage of Wiseru having his guard down? They just reveal he's not fooled for no reason.
-/me questions if the Japanese know what mist is

But overall, no one was overly annoying, the characters all had something to do. Heck, most episodes I find the ridiculous age of the Ryusoulgers tremendously pointless, but it actually fed into the twist at the end here in kind of a pathos-full way. Like characterwise, one of the best episodes yet even.

Kind of sad for that teacher though. She clearly still has a thing for Bamba is her regret is rainbows. So um, when Bamba tells Canalo to cherish his bond with Mosa Rex, is he comparing that to his relationship with a woman from 50 years ago???

The one thing that I thought was a real letdown was the Spino Thunder form. It just looked really ugly to me, like someone had two Lego kits and bashed them together in a thoughtless way.

My suspicion was correct, Yuki's actress is also the girl in the young Emiko photo:
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: Ryusoulger 17 released

Post by Lunagel »

Who gives their student a picture of theirself from 50 years ago?!

Not a fantastic episode but kinda amusing.

Mmm, wet Bamba.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Wet bambi?
Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Dreamy: Koyomi / Rian
Quote: Lost in Thoughts All Alone

Favorite Super Sentai : Goseiger / Kyoryuuger / ToQger / Kyuuranger
Favorite Kamen Rider : Wizard / Gaim / Ex-Aid / Build / Zero-One
Favorite Garo : Yami Wo Terasu Mono / Gold Storm Shou / Kami No Kiba

Post by Mandalori »

takenoko wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:33 pm
-Is Wiseru good at hypnotism? I'll admit that detailswise I'm checked out of this series, but I swear to god this is the first time I've heard of Wiseru having this ability.

-/me questions if the Japanese know what mist is
Wiseru used his ability on children during his introduction episode, but they only showed it after the fact.

Considering that mist is suspended liquid water, I don't see what's wrong with it. To put it simply, mist is just liquid water that's too light (drops too small) to fall on the ground, hence why you see it as mist and not as a cluster as drops, but it's still liquid water with all it's properties.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Wiseru being back is only good. Within the first 5 minutes of screentime he's shown to be more competent than whoever the last guy was.

Why is Banba the only well written hero in the show? Every time he's on screen he's either being hyper competent or getting shit done.
WannaFantaMan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Legends of Tomorrow
2nd Favorite Series: Boku no Hero Academia
Dreamy: I have too many to list xD
Favorite Actor?: Kevin Conroy
Favorite Band: Hanson
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Fallout 4 and Elden Ring
Quote: AH, BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!! My mortal enemy!
Type: ESFJ Provider

Post by WannaFantaMan »

This episode was VERY VERY VERY WEIRD...which is saying something since there have been quite a few strange episodes this season so far. Not that I didn't love it, it just came out of left field for me x3. Looks like the cluster fuck mecha is being introduced this weekend so HURRAY FOR THAT!!!
hiro9796
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: TOQger, Kamen Rider Zero One, Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger VS Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Agito, W, Zero One
Dreamy: Sinon (SAO), Megumin (Konosuba)
Favorite Actor?: Endo Aya, Shimono Hiro
Alignment: Lawful Good
Quote: Ah le le!

Now, count up your sins!

By the power vested in us by the Global Police, we will deal with you by force!

There's only one person who can stop you, me!
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by hiro9796 »

Spino Thunder seems rather weird and I agree they are hideous. But how did Dime Volcano speak with his head literally under Mosa Rex chin. Quite nice episode but Spino Thunder movement looks uglier than he looks. Bamba smile. Yeah!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Catastrophe wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:56 am Why is Banba the only well written hero in the show? Every time he's on screen he's either being hyper competent or getting shit done.
Intelligence has an inversely proportional relationship to amount of time talking. The more you blab, the more of a joke you are. Black's the strong silent type, hence his hyper competency.
windfall
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Gekiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva

Post by windfall »

I'm going to pretend that this was just written poorly and Bamba was talking about the bond between master and student and not a romantic one.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

And our first episode after Gold's introduction arc has him immediately becoming the butt of jokes. Eh, we've had worse.

I didn't find the plot about this episode to be especially notable. However I find myself in very odd agreement with Creon that it's good to have Wiseru back. Which is a difficult thing to admit, because I was very happy to be rid of him a few episodes ago. However General Grouch made me miss having someone with some actual charisma heading up the evil deeds...

Speaking of Wiseru, that shot of him undressing while Cantaloupe was covering his eyes was great. That's one of the best visual gags in Sentai in quite a while; it was simple, effective, and quick. And totally in character for everyone involved.

Mosa Rex sure was captured easily though. Like, really easily. If all of the Ryusoulgers are this dumb, then the Druidons should be capturing the mecha more often.:o

On the plus side, the MOTW design was very neat. It's rather unorthodox for Sentai, and while this episode didn't really do anything that called for an unorthodox monster, I'm still glad they did it.
takenoko wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:33 pm The one thing that I thought was a real letdown was the Spino Thunder form. It just looked really ugly to me, like someone had two Lego kits and bashed them together in a thoughtless way.
Agreed in full. I actually feel bad for the Toei/Bandai staff here. Someone had to figure out a way to get these toys to combine. And then someone else had to make and rig a complete CGI model of the resulting mess. Everyone did their job correctly, so I'm hesitant to knock any one person/group, but the resulting formation did not come anywhere close to meeting its potential.:(
Lunagel wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:11 pm Mmm, wet Bamba.
Bamba's actor was definitely chosen to be eye candy for all the mamas. :lol:
takenoko wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:11 pm
Catastrophe wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:56 am Why is Banba the only well written hero in the show? Every time he's on screen he's either being hyper competent or getting shit done.
Intelligence has an inversely proportional relationship to amount of time talking. The more you blab, the more of a joke you are. Black's the strong silent type, hence his hyper competency.
This is as good an explanation as any. However it almost undersells just how much better he is at the whole heroing thing. I'm not going to was nostalgic for old Sentais, but I do miss the teams being more competent. In the meantime, more Bamba focus episodes would be great...
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Bamba doesn't really need focus episodes. He's always good when he does something. It's actually my favourite part about somebody else's episode is Bamba being there to fix the mess.

Phantom Box can't be killed? Bamba already found it.

Mosa Rex captured? Bamba knows to get DimeVolcano.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

The whole Bamba's girlfriend was the cram school teacher thing was really tacked on in the end. It didn't seem to me the episode wasn't building up to that point and made it more of a joke on Canalo's expense.
Mxylv
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

Huh; neither Bamba nor Towa have their character arcs undone, but it's kinda weird that they're still walking around on their own. I'm also not sure if my attempted predictions of two separate twists that never materialized (namely, Mosa Rex only pretending to be pretending and the kid being the real host) is evidence that the episode deftly avoids cliches, that it was too thinly written for such twists or that I'm just looking for plot points in all the wrong places, so I think I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. On the bright side, the episode did give us the strongest ending we've had in quite a while, although I agree that a bit more foreshadowing would've helped (with that said, it does give some earlier points like Towa's line "Minama Town... how many decades has it been?" some extra poignancy).
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, it's not great foreshadowing, but there was some work laid for the twist at the end. Appreciate the effort.

This episode was written by Shita Ayumi which is nice since it seems like we don't get many lady writers in recent toku. Next episode is yet another new writer. Wonder if they've given Yamaoka Junpei up for the time being so he can hone his craft.
hiro9796
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: TOQger, Kamen Rider Zero One, Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger VS Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Agito, W, Zero One
Dreamy: Sinon (SAO), Megumin (Konosuba)
Favorite Actor?: Endo Aya, Shimono Hiro
Alignment: Lawful Good
Quote: Ah le le!

Now, count up your sins!

By the power vested in us by the Global Police, we will deal with you by force!

There's only one person who can stop you, me!

Post by hiro9796 »

takenoko wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:27 am This episode was written by Shita Ayumi which is nice since it seems like we don't get many lady writers in recent toku. Next episode is yet another new writer. Wonder if they've given Yamaoka Junpei up for the time being so he can hone his craft.
My guess is that Yamaoka Junpei was not used with writing team based stories, which apart from fillers of team bonding/character development do requires opinion for others on what kind of outcome Toei wanted for Sentai and what is the proper way to achieve it. Rather than just the Red being the one find out and clinch everything, it is better that each member had perform the roles specified to them to achieve victory

Return to “Kishiryuu Sentai Ryusoulger”