KR Zi-O 48 released

It's pronounced Ji Oh. AKA Kamen Rider Double Decade
Forum rules
Kamen Rider Zi-O Wiki Link

< Build | Zi-O | Zero-One >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:10 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
40%
☆☆☆☆
40%
☆☆☆
5%
☆☆
No votes
15%

Total votes: 20
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Zi-O 48 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's Zi-O rating: 3.71 / 5 (17 votes)

Alt Title: Tsukuyomi Make up!

Okay, so Tsukuyomi transforming. Kinda cool, but feels a bit like pandering like the lady scene in Endgame. Yeah you have a lady hero, but she only really shows up for the final episode, and who knows how good it'll actually be. Plus Tsukuyomi has barely any personality or character development, so how good can it really be? It's better than nothing, but you can do better than this, Toei.

The rest of the episode is alright. Like others have said, there's not really a lot of tension because the stake are so vague to begin with. The moment to moment stuff is good, Chase's sacrifice, Sougo talking to Oma Zi-O, DiEnd showing up (still wish Decade/DiEnd would transform into other Riders more). Sougo having a moment with his uncle felt more obligatory than earned.

One last thing, Tsukuyomi, despite all the time traveling and time jumps, in a whole year's time never checked her pockets?

Don't suppose we'll ever find out where Geiz got his belt from?
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Re: KR Zi-O 48 released

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

To no one's surprise, Tsukuyomi's ridewatch is P-Bandai.

I think it's a "buy all 4" kind of deal since the message with the link declared them as a "Memorial set":
仮面ライダーおもちゃウェブ公式仮面ライダーおもちゃウェブ公式 @bandai_ridertoy
【本日予約開始】
「仮面ライダージオウ」より「DXメモリアルライドウォッチセット」が本日11時より予約受付開始:sparkles:
「仮面ライダーツクヨミ」のライドウォッチが登場!
ソウゴ・ゲイツ・ウォズ・ツクヨミの台詞を多数収録!!
https://p-bandai.jp/item/item-1000137861/
#仮面ライダージオウ #仮面ライダーツクヨミ https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ECEVpMtUcAA0lwA.jpg
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Post by TypicalStandUser »

I'll just buy the DX Zamonas Ride Watch in December, thank you kindly.

Oh Junichirou, my Junichirou. Good man. You truly are a good man.

Oh Chase. That logic bomb really screwed you over, but your heroic sacrifice will not be forgotten.

A brilliant plan by the gang. Not only does Sougo defeat his future self and compromise Schwartz’s plan, a new savior is born! Rejoice!!

This moment reminds me of Tsukasa and his gang back in Movie War 2010.

Ok episode.

Now, the moment of truth. Will the Young King become the Demon King or will Tokiwa Sougo screw destiny???
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

A bunch of different and arguably notable things in this episode, and all of them I have sorta mixed opinions on.

I don't know how to feel about Chase's cameo in the last two episodes. Since we're in at the very end, it's arguably a good thing that he doesn't really affect the plot in a big way, and it's cool in of itself to see him again, but I can't really get too concerned in anything he's doing because it's just the very abridged version of his character arc from Drive. Although if they were going to go that far in having him die the same way again, I'd love for him to charge at Another Decade to try and blow him up, only to run into a portal and explode harmlessly in the sky or something.

The scene between Sougo and his Uncle is kinda sweet, I guess. He was terribly underused with the exception of literally two scenes in the whole show. I mean, the viewer was kind of just meant to not acknowledge his existence for most of the time, what with us never getting a glimpse as to how life in their home shared with these three people from the future is like, or what he even thought the Ridewatch display was, so I couldn't get invested in his and Sougo's moment here.

The big thing here for me was Zi-O vs Oma Zi-O. I really liked the whole confrontation as a concept, and it was executed pretty well for the most part. Putting aside whether there was good reason for them to physically fight in the first place, we've seen Sougo failed to overcome his future self after gathering the power of all the past Riders. This time, he makes use of Trinity, which represents the power of Sougo's bonds with his friends whom Oma Zi-O never had. While I don't think they could have completely beaten Oma Zi-O, it's enough to make him acknowledge his past self's power and the different path he's taken.

My only problem with this is that while we have seen Sougo form a very strong bond with Geiz and we know at this point how far they'd go for each other... we still don't know anything about Woz. We don't know what the reasons behind his feelings or motivations regarding either Oma Zi-O or Sougo, and I can't ever recall a single instance where it felt like Woz and Sougo acted like they were friends beyond Woz wanting Sougo to obtain power. The whole moment of Sougo talking up the power of friendship is rather undercut by the fact that one of the two friends who makes up Trinity really doesn't feel like they ever reached that level of closeness with him.

Kamen Rider Tsukuyomi looks cool, and was a nice surprise. It's way too late to try and make up for how much the character has been under-utilised, but I hope she makes a strong last impression in the next episode or in the inevitable V-Cinema spinoffs.
Last edited by BreadToku on Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
TrafficRider
I am the new #2
I am the new #2
Quote: A true man always reaches out to help his fellow

Post by TrafficRider »

Didn't they address the Geiz getting his driver thing in the Ghost arc?
Sentai_ZXR7
Infinity
Quote: Ready for the Next Challenge

Post by Sentai_ZXR7 »

Well, the penultimate episode shows at least more of everything, after the confrontation between ZiO and Oma ZiO, Oma ZiO will help Sougo in some way.
And the final episode titled "Apocalypse" can go either ways, will Sougo transform into Oma ZiO? will he defeat the evil Timejacker?
Will he confront Geiz? the odds for the next episode will be unearthed coming Sunday 25 (but we have to wait for the translation of the final episode) so I am anxious now!
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

TrafficRider wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:47 pm Didn't they address the Geiz getting his driver thing in the Ghost arc?
They most definitely did not, though I guess it's not too far of a leap on the viewer's part to just assume he stole a spare Driver alongside the Ghost and Drive watches.
TrafficRider
I am the new #2
I am the new #2
Quote: A true man always reaches out to help his fellow

Post by TrafficRider »

BreadToku wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:41 am
TrafficRider wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:47 pm Didn't they address the Geiz getting his driver thing in the Ghost arc?
They most definitely did not, though I guess it's not too far of a leap on the viewer's part to just assume he stole a spare Driver alongside the Ghost and Drive watches.
Kinda odd, I could swear Woz made some crack about Geiz's belt being a lucky spare, though it could be mixing up arcs as well
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

BreadToku has largely taken the words out of my mouth here. There's a bunch of neat bits in this episode, but the show as a whole is suffering from its chaotic writing. The lack of focus means that this finale arc isn't as captivating as it should be, particularly because it's not clear what the stakes are besides the fact that it's the end of the world in the most generic sense.

At any rate, I enjoyed seeing Decade and DiEnd team up - and that the writers didn't forget that DiEnd had time powers. Or, for that matter, giving us some kind of explanation as to why Sougo has any kind of time power to begin with, and confirmation that it's not something innate to him.

Though I guess we're just going to ignore Oma's crazy Dai Mazine robots from back in episode 15/16?

Edit: Oh, and there's a possible typo in the HD encode. 5:17 "My plan has caveat". I'm assuming that's supposed to be "has a caveat"?
takenoko wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:10 pm Okay, so Tsukuyomi transforming. Kinda cool, but feels a bit like pandering like the lady scene in Endgame. Yeah you have a lady hero, but she only really shows up for the final episode, and who knows how good it'll actually be. Plus Tsukuyomi has barely any personality or character development, so how good can it really be? It's better than nothing, but you can do better than this, Toei.
I am of course happy to see Tsukuyomi get to do something other than ineffectively fire a laser gun. But this comment is unfortunately spot-on. She hasn't really had an arc this entire series, other than waffling on whether to kill Sougo. And while she's been important in this final stretch of episodes because Schwartz wants to kill her, nothing's really hinged on her actions. So having her become a Rider this late into the game definitely feels like fan service. :?
BreadToku wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:41 am
Is there any reason it can't be Zi-O's driver? Since Oma has his own driver, the original Zi-O driver would have been still be sitting around in the future, I would reckon.
Last edited by ViRGE on Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

ViRGE wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:13 am
BreadToku wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:41 am They most definitely did not, though I guess it's not too far of a leap on the viewer's part to just assume he stole a spare Driver alongside the Ghost and Drive watches.
Is there any reason it can't be Zi-O's driver? Since Oma has his own driver, the original Zi-O driver would have been still be sitting around in the future, I would reckon.
I actually really like that thought and will be accepting it as my headcanon. I just said it could be a spare since Woz seems to have an endless supply of them, but the thought of Geiz specifically using the original driver of the evil overlord to give himself the power to fight back is very classic Kamen Rider.

And then there's another ironic layer when he gives that driver to Sougo back in episode 16 but I'll leave that for others to stew on.
Deadrider50
Infinity
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Ghost
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Ex-Aid
Dreamy: Shijima Kiriko
Favorite Actor?: Sano Gaku
Favorite Band: DA PUMP
My boom: Download all Tokusatsu and Anime Series
Quote: I'll do it in my way. Don't butt in
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Deadrider50 »

Why did they made Kamen Rider Tsukuyomi a real thing now ? I thought she was just a gag joke back in the supplementary project before.

The part where Chase died really gives me a throwback from the Drive's series. Chase, you were definitely a hero for me. So long brave warrior

I think the proper line that Tsukasa said at 5:17 was "My plan has a caveat". And at 21:00 I think Swartz want to say "In the end you were just a junk Kamen Rider". Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm trying my best to not being annoying here again. By the way, great job you guys for doing this sub. Can't wait for the finale

That should be perfect right ???
Last edited by Deadrider50 on Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eternal_Winterbane
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Go-Busters
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Eternal_Winterbane »

Something i am surprised no one has picked up on is that they forshadowed our female rider back in episode one, and have repeatedly done so every episode. The intro, all three mains (minus Woz) have had the world spin effect that we only see during a henshin :)
Cyborg-Lucario
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Black/Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze/Gokaiger
Dreamy: Garou (Ookami Blue)
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by Cyborg-Lucario »

I thought it was really cool to see Decade and Di-End fight together again (though I can agree that it would be cooler if they transformed into other Riders during that fight), and Chaser may not have affected the story too much since we're close to the finale, but it was cool to see him return but I'm sad to see him die again. ;_;

I have never thought about that Eternal_Winterbane, but now that you're saying it so does it make sense that our moon themed Rider has been foreshadowed (in a rewatch bonus way), and the jingle that plays after Tsukoyomi transformed gives me Sailor Moon vibes, and as someone who grew up watching Sailor Moon on TV so do I appreciate it. :3

I can't wait for the finale, and then it will be time for 01!
A cyborg pokémon who may or may not be a Kamen Rider.
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

I still think that the end of the series should be that Schwartz is defeated, but uses the "backdoor" he built into Sougo's conscious when Sougo was 10 to hijack Sougo's mind. Schwartz wins and becomes the demon king of the world, but Geiz, Tsukuyomi, and Woz escape. Then the second season is team future wandering around finding the female rider watches for Tsukuyomi to use as power ups so that she can free Sougo's mind. To save money, they could do this as an anime spinoff.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Ha, now I don't know what to believe with the opening bit. I just figured the world flipped because they were the main characters, but now that all the main characters are riders...

>So having her become a Rider this late into the game definitely feels like fan service.

Yeah, she's easily the most poorly written character in a show of extremely shallow characters. Sure, she does some time investigating hijinks with Decade, but overall her role in the plot is super passive. Let's just hope she doesn't get knocked out of the transformation immediately in the next episode, given Toei's past record with female Riders.
Deadrider50 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:53 am I think the proper line that Tsukasa said at 5:17 was "My plan has a caveat". And at 21:00 I think Swartz want to say "In the end you were just a junk Kamen Rider".
Thanks Virge and Deadrider, those suggestions are fine, I'll do a v2.

Return to “Kamen Rider Zi-O”