KR Zi-O 49 released

It's pronounced Ji Oh. AKA Kamen Rider Double Decade
Forum rules
Kamen Rider Zi-O Wiki Link

< Build | Zi-O | Zero-One >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:22 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
25%
☆☆☆☆
11%
☆☆☆
19%
☆☆
28%
17%

Total votes: 36
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Zi-O 49 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki

Last week's Zi-O rating: 3.67 / 5 (12 votes)

Alt Title: D-D-D DiEnd!

Schwartz is defeated and the world is remade into an anime ending.

Not to be edgy, but does anyone care? The main characters are so boring, that I didn't feel anything when Geiz died. Or when Tsukuyomi turned traitor. Wow, you sure fooled me. Instead of getting knocked out of your transformation immediately, you untransformed yourself, stabbed your brother in the back, then got one hit knocked out of your transformation.

Geiz is coming back next April? Fuck that. This show has already shown that it's boring to tears without the nostalgia factor. I don't want to work on that :(

Edit: Also, this is the second year in a row where the solution was to combine two worlds together. That still makes no sense Toei. Lazy!

1/5 stars, didn't really care about any of it

Don't forget to vote in the series poll and participate in the whole series discussion thread
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: KR Zi-O 49 released

Post by Lunagel »

Way to completely underuse that Rider who you only revealed at the end of last episode. FFS I think Aqua got more screen time than Rider Tsukuyomi and IT'S NOT EVEN HIS FUCKING SERIES

Aaaaand the female Rider curse claims another victim. Toei, I know you're a bunch of girl-hating assholes but you could at least pretend to make an effort occasionally.

Yeah I'm gonna die mad about this. But not that mad cause I honestly didn't care that much about this series. And frankly, it looks like the writers didn't really either.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

It's sort of ironic that we get a reimagining of the scene in Movie Wars 2010 where Natsumi as Kamen Rider Kivaaa stabs Decade but this time it's Kamen Rider Tsukuyomi stabbing Schwartz as Another Decade. Man Sougo had some mad time rewriting powers where he could had Geiz, Tsukuyomi, Heure, and Ora exist 50 years prior. I don't quite understand why Woz avoided being a part of the 2018 timeline but I would guess that he didn't die so Sougo couldn't rewrite Woz's timeline. It was sorta funny that Woz didn't initially hype up Oma Zi-O.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Post by TypicalStandUser »

Rushed episode.

Same old "turncoat like Decade" ruse, same old deaths, Sougo defeats Oma Zi-O with the power of friendship.

Yeah, after this episode, the prospect of cosplaying Schwartz!2009 is a pain. I'll just cosplay Jogen considering his Ride Watch will be coming in December.

Ok-ish finale.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
decade368990
Train man
Favorite series: Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: W
Dreamy: Osaki Ichika and Kudo Mio
Quote: Grow a spine, J.A.R.V.I.S. I got a date. -- Tony Stark

Post by decade368990 »

The series indeed concluded in a pathetic way. The belt is the most stupid thing; how can it automatically change into Oma Zi-O belt base on the emotion Sougo erupted from his anger? Come on Toei, stop breaking the rules for fan service. These Heisei Rider belts are created through science and math, the belts are not something can be changed through human emotion unless they are installed with ancient magic tech like Kuuga's belt and Agito's belt.

Sougo becomes Oma Zi-O in the last episode completely rips off Kuuga's final battle. This is a spoiler to those who haven't watched Kuuga.
Spoiler
The last couple of episodes before the final battle, Godai Yuusuke understands if he becomes Ultimate Kuuga, he will lose his mind because the power of the Ultimate form can consume him. But Godai is a kind-heart man and he overcomes such fear since Ultimate form is the only way to beat the final boss.

Same thing with Sougo here, the power of Oma Zi-O can consume him and yet he overcomes it and uses the power to beat Another Decade because he is a kind-heart person.
Deadrider50
Infinity
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Ghost
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Ex-Aid
Dreamy: Shijima Kiriko
Favorite Actor?: Sano Gaku
Favorite Band: DA PUMP
My boom: Download all Tokusatsu and Anime Series
Quote: I'll do it in my way. Don't butt in
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Deadrider50 »

The only thing that be useful in this episode was the Oma Zi-O's transformation scene. The scene was epic for me. Yeah, the episode kinda rushed to the final. I was hopping for a cliffhanger endings like Decade ten years ago but guess what, Toei had already know that all the fans was waiting for that and made a last minute change, cut some of the other scenes and make to a lalala happy ever after ending.

And can I point some mistake at 7:05. The sound that I heard was "Hit!, Hit!, Hit!, Great, Perfect". The "Maximum Critical Break" never occured. But judging from your point of view, I guess it's ok.

Hope the V-Cinema tells the story about how Geiz got his Ridewatch and Ziku Driver. And the other Time Jackers past and back stories never in the head of Toei's ??? F*ck that up. That's the only reason I watched this series. I like to discover how the villains rise in this stories but Toei had to break that up.

Next week Zero One will advent to the stage
Sentai_ZXR7
Infinity
Quote: Ready for the Next Challenge

Post by Sentai_ZXR7 »

Overall this series had its good and bad moments, poor writing, less imagination, even so I have enjoyed watching it until the end.
The concept of the Time Mazine was cool, but the rules of time travel broken.
The last two episodes were almost similar in concept to Kamen Rider Build, where the world had to be remade.
What I liked is that Geiz, Tsukuyomi, Ora and Heure were revived in a new timeline.
When Sougo transformed into Oma ZiO out of anger, was similar to Kamen Raider Gaim, Kouta Kazuraba, when the overlord was killed by the second in command, which was dealt swiftly.
If Toei were to make good series with better writing and more convincing concepts, it could prove a winner formula, but I think they want to make things the cheap and worst way.
Anyway, it was something to watch; for KR Zero 1, I believe we have to see how things unravel
jamebarktoku
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Drive
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Ex-Aid

Post by jamebarktoku »

First off, thank you TV-N for subbing this show. It may not be the best thing ever put to screen, but your hard work is very much appreciated. That said, this finale feels so rushed. Tsukuyomi was underused and dull before she became a Rider, but here she's just used to force a conflict in the last portion of the series. Not to mention she's yet another casualty of the female Rider curse and the fact she didn't get a death scene that wasn't a projection with Swartz makes me feel shortchanged. It's a shame none of this show's original characters are remotely interesting. Geiz's death feels unearned, as it comes out of nowhere, and as much as the death scene made me choke up a bit, it was really unnecessary. Sougo becoming Oma Zi-O also feels unearned as a result.

Swartz is officially the worst main villain in all of the Kamen Rider series I've seen because it takes most of the series for him to even have any motivation. Heure and Ora returning at the end feels unearned, mainly because they weren't good characters to begin with, but also because their deaths were so anticlimactic. Geiz and Tsukuyomi returning at the end was nice, but like with Kazumi last year, it undoes any emotional payoff that came from their demises. Tsukasa and Daiki are easily the best parts of this epsiode and the series as a whole, but I kinda wish they weren't so prominent as it isn't even their series. Woz is and always will be best part of this series for me, but even he doesn't really do anything in this episode. Overall, this is a weak finale in an even weaker show, and I'm so glad it's over, cuz now the Zero-One hype can begin.
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

So, I’ve never disliked ‘reset’ endings in of themselves, since I liked Build’s ending a lot and I even look back somewhat fondly on Ryuki’s ending. But I really hate Zi-O’s ending. I’m just going to work my way through the episode and cover the parts I wanna type about.

The first big elephant in the room that I know everyone will be (rightfully) groaning about, Kamen Rider Tsukiyomi being useless. Now, I knew that she wasn’t just going to end our big villain as soon as the episode started and that Sougo himself still had to save the day, but Tsukiyomi’s fake betrayal ploy here was sooooo bad and stupid. It made no sense at all why she should think it would work, or why it did work for as long as it did! Worse of all, the ‘critical moment’ she decided to attack Schwartz hardly felt needed since Sougo was winning so easily.

Also didn’t we literally see this exact same plan from Ora a few episodes back? They even both used the exact same hand-saber move! Did the writer like that ‘twist’ so much that they couldn’t resist doing it again?!

It would been so less frustrating if she just fought Another Decade in the beginning but isn’t strong enough to beat him. I know it’d still suck to see her lose her first fight, but it wouldn’t have been nearly as stupid and it would have given her at least a scene to showcase some impressive powers for a little bit!

Uncle fixes the Ridewatches, that’s honestly kind of cute. It doesn’t stop the world from being in utter chaos but that’s a part I’m willing to let slide.

Decade and DiEnd basically exit out of this episode early on without good reason. That’s rather disappointing but fair, this isn’t their show or finale. Though I’ll argue they’ve never truly had a moment to shine because they both (Tsukasa especially) spent all their screentime in the whole show being mysterious or vague about everything.

One final hurrah from Grand Zi-O, and I admit this was the closest the form came to the glory it displayed in it’s debut episode. It still jobs though. It’s officially the jobber-est final form.

And then Geiz dies and... Okay, I’ll be honest, this scene really got to me. The exact words he chooses to say, the way Sougo cries and shouts his name, Geiz finally calling Sougo by his name. I will fully admit that, even though I knew it wasn’t gonna stick, I could feel my eyes tearing up. I thought it was really well-done.

And then Sougo turns into Oma Zi-O and it is quite the spectacle. The transformation, the utter curb-stomp of everyone and everything! I really enjoyed watching all of it unfold. This is followed by Sougo using his overlord powers to essentially rewrite time itself so that everything is happy and nice and all is well. ...I have problems with this.

Admittedly, I was already expecting something akin to turning back time or the like for the finale. I never thought for a moment that Sougo would actually go on to become a benevelont king of the world or something. But I feel like the ‘conflict’ of Sougo deciding to erase his potential future as a king is meant to be seen as a big sacrifice on Sougo’s part, like he’s giving up this thing he’s been working towards his whole life. But that doesn’t work for me at all. That part of his character hasn’t even been touched on sometime in the first half of the series, I don’t think? And he never sounded that adamant about it anyway.

It’d be a little more tolerable if Sougo had do something diffiicult or drastic to accomplish this (like in Ryuki), or if he somehow lost something because of his decision (like in Build), but nope! He just made his life good again at no cost whatsoever.

So Sougo just making everything better again and that costing him nothing would be bad enough, but the actual state of the world now is just annoying. Even putting aside the fact that it makes no sense (which is putting aside a lot), you basically just wiped away everything regarding the development and relationships of all these characters. ...so basically only Sougo and Geiz lost anything, but still.

It’s so bad and unnecessary. You could have just brought them back to life as is, but they had to go this extra, infuriating step. I wanted a happy ending for (most of) them, but they’re all completely different people anyway. Now nobody, not one person, has learned anything or gone through anything over the last 49 episodes! I’m not even watching them live the life they could have in a world without Oma Zi-O, but instead some high school AU version of themselves! Yes, I know the inevitable supplimentary and spinoff material will probably given them all back their memories, but it wouldn’t retroactively make this finale any better.

And by the way, who even cares that those two timejackers are alive again? They were non-characters the whole show who only ever did blatantly evil things. Am I suppose to feel happy seeing them smiling and laughing alongside our heroes? One of them murdered the other in cold blood!

Oh, and Woz isn’t affected because he has to give our closing narration, I guess. I really hope Sougo didn't intentionally made it so Woz gets stuck being alone with nobody who knows him.

And that’s all not even getting into the dozens of loose ends, unresolved threads or unanswered questions that I had given up on the show ever acknowledging.

The most negative feelings I’ve ever had on an ending in Kamen Rider was feeling underwhelmed, and that’s only ever applied to three, maybe four shows. Kamen Rider Zi-O’s ending is the first to make me actually upset, but only because I chose to care as much as I did. I don’t regret caring, but this was not a good send-off in my opinion. I never thought the ending was going to be ‘great’ to begin with, but the very final scene should not leave me feeling like I want a do-over.

The V-Cinema trailer looks like that builds off this ending. But since I hate this ending so much, I’m already going into the next piece of Zi-O media utterly uncaring about anything that happens in it. ...Which after Cross-Z New World, might be for the best.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Well, time was reset, as I thought it would be. Good, it means we can pretend this show never happened. But yeah, it was bad. At least Tsukuyomi paid tribute to the female Riders of the past. She was in minimal episodes, she barely did anything, and she died. Dark Necrom P got to fight more than she did.

Anyway, here's a list of things that the show never explained:

Much of anything about Geiz or Woz, though I expect the V-Cinemas will do that.
The fact they completely ignored Build's ending.
The ever-changing rules of how Another Riders work.
The nonsense time travel logic.
Shiro Woz's deal.
Kamen Rider Ginga.

Anything else?
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

So based on the state of affairs of this series thus far, I wasn't coming into the finale with high expectations. The show's been a mess for a while, and the finale would probably continue that. Still, I was underwhelmed by the finale. In fact I'm surprised by just how much it underwhelmed me.

I'll skip the absurdly long write-up since BreadToku is killing it, but somehow this finale was the perfect culmination of bad writing, bad pacing, and failing to properly utilize the tools at their disposal. For example, while I was hoping we'd get some kind of grand fight with KR Tsukuyomi, I figured it was unlikely. Then Toei went and underdelivered even those expectations by actively avoiding any kind of fight. Like, what was even the purpose of KR Tsukuyomi? In the end, it's not even good fan service.

The finale arc has been too packed for everything the writers have been trying to do. And that came to a head here, where not only is there not any time to try to wrap up any remaining dangling plot threads, but then precious time is siphoned off by ridiculous twists. When has Tsukuyomi ever been the backstabbing type? It feels like a twist merely for the sake of being a twist. And then there's killing her and Geiz; to the credit(?) of the writers, I didn't see that coming, despite the fact that killing off the secondary Riders has become some kind of perverse Toei tradition. But now it's overdone and unsatisfying. Killing off Riders just to bring them back 10 minutes later has become a cheap way of shocking the audience. With better writing, it could have been made to feel more impactful and necessary, but then that goes for a lot of things in this series. If nothing else, Geiz getting killed should have taken place in an earlier episode.

On the plus side, the action was good. Grand Zi-O has officially become a joke (I'll expand on this for the series discussion), but after 49 episodes we finally got to see Oma Zi-O curb stomp some bad guys, and that was very satisfying. Zi-O (the Rider) never really got to have too many curb stomp battles, so the few that are in the series have been fun to watch. Meanwhile, I'm just going to ignore how using Oma Zi-O's power didn't make Sougo an evil tyrant, since the writers seemingly have too.

The scene between Sougo and his uncle was also sweet. Toei telegraphed the fixed watches a little too hard (and actually, they did a worse job of explaining them being broken in the first place), but none the less, it's an emotionally resonant moment.

I can't say the same about the reset world, however; that was decidedly unresonant. Besides being a damn near carbon copy of Build's finale, it basically undoes the entire damn series. And while the purpose of the series is to entertain (and sell toys) - in other words, it's the journey rather than the destination - undoing everything comes off as a bit of a slap in the face to anyone that got invested in the series. Resets can be made to work, but Zi-O didn't come close to making it work here. Some AU version of the crew is alive and well, but most of the characters we've been watching for the last year are still dead.

Ultimately I score this episode a 2/5. The cast and crew clearly made an effort here, but in the end they couldn't properly tie things up into the satisfying finale the Heisei era deserved.

In the meantime, thank you once again to the hard working TV-N crew for another season of KR. You're the real heroes of this story! :D
takenoko wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:22 pm Geiz is coming back next April? Fuck that. This show has already shown that it's boring to tears without the nostalgia factor. I don't want to work on that :(
I get why Toei has to put these epilogue movies so far after the end of the series - they need to come after the holiday team-up movie - but it doesn't change the fact that I'm not going to care about Zi-O 8 months down the line. Not that I especially care now, but even with a good series, that's too much of an ask.

In the meantime, I'm not sure whether the enigmatic trailer is a good thing or not. Geiz is probably the most interesting character of the show; but the trailer says so little that it's hard to get a bead on where all of that is even going.
Lunagel wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:53 am Way to completely underuse that Rider who you only revealed at the end of last episode. FFS I think Aqua got more screen time than Rider Tsukuyomi and IT'S NOT EVEN HIS FUCKING SERIES

Aaaaand the female Rider curse claims another victim. Toei, I know you're a bunch of girl-hating assholes but you could at least pretend to make an effort occasionally.

Yeah I'm gonna die mad about this. But not that mad cause I honestly didn't care that much about this series. And frankly, it looks like the writers didn't really either.
Honest to goodness, sometimes it feels like Toei's writers are doing the absolute bare minimum with female riders. It's as if an executive ordered them to include a female rider, so they dutifully include one. But they do so in the most half-assed way possible, to the point that it's practically malicious compliance. As someone pointed out last week, the SFX for Tsukuyomi have actually been in the belt since the very beginning (i.e. this was decided on easily 14 months ago), and it amounts to not even a minute of footage.

It's always going to be a franchise aimed at boys first. But Toei's ability to consistently leave the female riders half-baked (at best) is on a whole other level.
TorchWood
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Pirate Sentai GoKaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Special Operations Squadron Go-Busters
Alignment: Lawful Evil

Post by TorchWood »

So, the Oma Zi-O form was essentially a Deus ex Machina.

Probably found in a box of hamdingers.
Something happening on a show turns into a board comment.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

This episode encompasses everything I feel about Zi-O. A little bit of promise but the rest of it is blah.

The plan goes to shit and they have no way out, except Uncle, a character I did not care about until this episode, manages to fix the rider watches because he can fix any watch. The idea that Swartzs plan could be screwed because of it was great. Grand Zi-O gets an amazing transformation sequence. And then it turns to shit. Why is Gaim pineapple arms there? Geiz can move fast enough to intercept the attack but not move Zi-O?

The thing that annoys me the most is that the whole series makes a point of Sougo not becoming Oma, but Geiz wants him to do it with his dying breath. And he does and while I admit the beatdown of the previous villains is great (some great suit acting by the Utopia Dopant), Tsukuyomi then does her great plan that does nothing and wasn't needed in the first place because Zi-O had the situation under control.

Then we get a universe reset. The ending just felt unfulfilling. Builds had weight to it (until the Cross-Z special) but I didn't care for any of these characters. I totally forgot about the other Timejackers until they came back.

An end I would have expected for this series, and a disappointing end to the Heisei era of Rider.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

ViRGE wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:22 am Honest to goodness, sometimes it feels like Toei's writers are doing the absolute bare minimum with female riders. It's as if an executive ordered them to include a female rider, so they dutifully include one. But they do so in the most half-assed way possible, to the point that it's practically malicious compliance. As someone pointed out last week, the SFX for Tsukuyomi have actually been in the belt since the very beginning (i.e. this was decided on easily 14 months ago), and it amounts to not even a minute of footage.

It's always going to be a franchise aimed at boys first. But Toei's ability to consistently leave the female riders half-baked (at best) is on a whole other level.
I think Poppy proved that pretty well. I have high hopes for Valkyrie though. She's around from the start, is in all the promotional materials, has a figure coming out, and she even has a form change coming at some point before Christmas. Whether she'll ever actually do anything useful is debatable, but we should at least see a lot of her.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

Deadrider50 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:29 amAnd can I point some mistake at 7:05. The sound that I heard was "Hit!, Hit!, Hit!, Great, Perfect". The "Maximum Critical Break" never occured.
......f**k, I actually caught that when I was doing QC, but someone else had updated the QC notes before I finished, so I had to redo my list and forgot to copy that one. orz

Return to “Kamen Rider Zi-O”