LupinRanger VS PatRanger VS KyuuRanger released

Training up a future generation of criminals
Forum rules
LupinRanger VS PatRanger Wiki Link

< KyuuRanger | LupinRanger VS PatRanger | Ryusoulger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:30 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
18%
☆☆☆☆
41%
☆☆☆
29%
☆☆
6%
6%

Total votes: 17
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

LupinRanger VS PatRanger VS KyuuRanger released

Post by takenoko »

Wiki

I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either. At 54 minutes, it just doesn't feel like it has enough good character moments to justify having so many characters. (What the fuck are you doing here, Mondo, there must be an interesting story behind the scenes about that)

Liked Raptor fantasizing about a Sentai girls get together. And the LupinRangers are as charming as ever (loved Kogure's overacting and the Lupins stealing the PatRangers' devices for a fight).

It really stands out that the non humanoid KyuuRangers don't appear till the end (and the kid). Admittedly, they're the worst of the characters, but it might have been fun to have Raptor, Shou, or Kotarou around earlier in the movie.

The KyuuRangers seem a bit stronger standing apart from their usual series. Their catchphrases are less grating when you don't have to hear them multiple times every week. Plus I genuinely love the KyuuRanger theme song and was glad to hear it play again during the battle.
daburuwosagase
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Fourze
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: "But they didn't know that this Majide is MADE OF DEKIRU and I will tsubusu you! I will tsubusu and TAOSU you!!"

Re: LupinRanger VS PatRanger VS KyuuRanger released

Post by daburuwosagase »

Have not watched a VS in a long time, and it looks like I picked a good one to come back to. Both teams are in character and mesh surprisingly well. And though the extra cameo was hit-and-run, I found it quite funny even as someone uninitiated to Zyuoh. Having such a large hero cast did make the villains suffer, but let's face it, they'd have been 2D characters anyway.

I'm glad Lucky was paired with the Pats if only to see him in jail, and he was a really good contrast with Keiichirou. Not sure I buy that stuff about Lucky having a brain, but it wasn't the worst. What is the worst is jerk reactions from hearing yossha lucky again.

The Lupins changing into the Pats was really good, and this movie is a great time to have done it. Really enjoyed how they showed Blue and Yellow floundering with the suits' different tactical focus.

Going to be contradictory, the girls' fight scene was really generic and the delusion is such a stereotype. Their synergy was based entirely on gender. Umika and Hame do work well together as genki types, but for that scene they didn't really play it up (the mech fight did a little on that front, though). Not to mention the flowers in the foreground. Talk about beating it into your head with a mallet.

Suddenly hearing the Kyuu ED again after a year invoked some primal terror in me, but Noel being extra more than made up for it. Best part of the movie.

Unresolved stuff: What happened to Hoshi Minato and his manager afterward? Why is his guitar infused with planet juice in the first place? Would I even be satisfied with the answers if they hypothetically gave them to us?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Nah, the girl battle was no more thought out than the Endgame scene. I just like Raptor and her delusions.

Clearly Hoshi Minato is Jin having escaped death somehow, and the guitar is just filled with Enetron.

Anyone from Toei want to explain why a relative of Jealoshitto is in this movie?
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

I'm not sure about this one. I'm inherently pleased about it because it's been a long time since the last actual VS movie, but this one seemed rather underwhelming. I feel like there's a distinct lack of meaningful character interactions and call-backs that any other more passionate VS movies in the past had in spades. This special might be the last time we ever see either the Kyuurangers or the Lupin and Pats in any meaningful capacity again, and it sorta just felt like the kind of crossover that would air on TV in the middle of LVSP's run.

Even the big rollcall in the end felt lacking because it was just all their standard stock footage played one after the other with shortened versions of their accompanying music. I thought they would have spiced it up by doing it 'live' with just the background of the quarry, that would have been different! And if I was really hopeful, I'd want them to really mix things up by inserting some of the Kyuurangers giving their lines in between the Lupins and the Pats.

And look, I was never expecting a big rumble with all the mecha, and I never minded when they reused footage of VSX in the series. It was used infrequently enough that I was able to look past it there. But to see those exact same shots again, here, in this crossover? They couldn't at least make one or two new bits of CGI where, I dunno, it switches out the shoulder fighters and machines for the Kyuuranger's Voyagers for an attack?

Oh, and how bizarre that it opened up with that whole bit with the musicians from another galaxy but then just completely dropped that plot point with no resolution. I mean I wasn't eager to see more of it anyway so it's no big loss, but as far as the audience knows, those guys are still stranded on Earth and are probably going to either starve or get sent to Earth jail eventually.

I wouldn't say anything in this special was bad, but nearly all of it felt so strangely understated.

Also, I know it's petty of me to complain about this, but I genuinely don't like Jyuoh TheWorld's cameo here. He's in it enough to be distracting, but leaves quick enough that I'm left questioning what was the point. There wasn't even an actual joke behind his appearance other than 'he is here for no reason' which is neither funny nor exciting nor... anything worth a reaction other than confusion.
Deadrider50
Infinity
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Ghost
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Ex-Aid
Dreamy: Shijima Kiriko
Favorite Actor?: Sano Gaku
Favorite Band: DA PUMP
My boom: Download all Tokusatsu and Anime Series
Quote: I'll do it in my way. Don't butt in
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Deadrider50 »

I think the part where Mondo running away from the battlefield was a funny moments for me. I think he's trying to said why there isn't any Cross-Overs for his series LOL. Poor Mondo. But it's good to see him back in the Sentai Series.

So far, the Sentai Mecha battle part was too shabby because we didn't able to see KyuuRanger and LupinPat Special combination together. What is wrong with Toei anyway.

Note (Mistakes): There are many part of the characters' dialogs that isn't subbed,(Most of them isn't sub during the battle scene).

Thank you for subbing this V-Cinema guys. Awesome work. I've been waiting so long for this movie
Last edited by Deadrider50 on Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deadrider50
Infinity
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Ghost
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Ex-Aid
Dreamy: Shijima Kiriko
Favorite Actor?: Sano Gaku
Favorite Band: DA PUMP
My boom: Download all Tokusatsu and Anime Series
Quote: I'll do it in my way. Don't butt in
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Deadrider50 »

daburuwosagase wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:40 pm Unresolved stuff: What happened to Hoshi Minato and his manager afterward? Why is his guitar infused with planet juice in the first place? Would I even be satisfied with the answers if they hypothetically gave them to us?
When I think about it, yeah that was many unresolved stuff over there. And one more thing. How can Don Armage had created a Double body when he was only one entity in the series. Talk about a plot twist there. Toei really want to keep getting money out of this film ehh...
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Only 5 minutes in so I can't really comment on anything else yet, but I'm glad they remembered Kyuranger is another universe. They've been incredibly consistent with that fact. And who says Toei doesn't care about continuity?

Also, I'll mention this since I brought it up with Kyu vs SS too, but "galaxy" really doesn't work as a translation of uchuu when you're talking about dimensions. You can fly in a spaceship to another galaxy, you can't fly between universes, which is what this is. You wouldn't describe Narnia as being in another galaxy. Galaxy and universe are two different words with different meanings, and the context you've been using it for Kyuranger is just wrong.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I mean, that's a fair point. But it started off with just one galaxy in Kyuu, so when they started hopping dimensions, it just became habit to keep using that translation for uchuu.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Found a mistake. At 17:29 you wrote "bueno", but it should be "buono". Spada speaks Italian, not Spanish. You can ever hear he pronounces it the Italian way, not Spanish. I'd argue a few lines later that his "non, non" should be "no no" for the same sort of reason, although I can't remember if Spada ever came out with French during the show. Plus I think you can hear the "n" there. If I'm gonna get really picky, Spada's "Si" at 29:43 should really be a "Sì", with a grave accent on the i.
Seen:
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Oh yeah, I was constantly making that mistake when translating Kyuu. It just slipped my mind.
kangchan
Douza Uru Zazaado

Post by kangchan »

HowlingSnail wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:51 am Only 5 minutes in so I can't really comment on anything else yet, but I'm glad they remembered Kyuranger is another universe. They've been incredibly consistent with that fact. And who says Toei doesn't care about continuity?
It depend on who is writer of movie VS. In this case, the writer is Arakawa Naruhisa, who also the sub-writer of Kyuranger for couple eps which explain Kyuranger come from another universe. Therefore he remembered when wrote this movie.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

kangchan wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:10 am
HowlingSnail wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:51 am Only 5 minutes in so I can't really comment on anything else yet, but I'm glad they remembered Kyuranger is another universe. They've been incredibly consistent with that fact. And who says Toei doesn't care about continuity?
It depend on who is writer of movie VS. In this case, the writer is Arakawa Naruhisa, who also the sub-writer of Kyuranger for couple eps which explain Kyuranger come from another universe. Therefore he remembered when wrote this movie.
He also did Kyu vs Space Squad and the Saikyou Battle. And Gokaiger and Akibaranger. He's a man who loves continuity.
Seen:
Aeikozz
Faiz
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Aeikozz »

would "Realm" be a better word then? i know like Kyuranger is complete so this is pretty moot but still.
Aeikozz
Faiz
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Aeikozz »

Am i just not getting the joke? Why is za world there?
DaVinci030
Space Empire Zangyack
Space Empire Zangyack
Favorite series: 牙狼<GARO>
Alignment: Neutral Good
Instagram: DaVinci030

Post by DaVinci030 »

HowlingSnail wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:15 am
kangchan wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:10 am

He also did Kyu vs Space Squad and the Saikyou Battle. And Gokaiger and Akibaranger. He's a man who loves continuity.
Uhhh... It was Mouri Nobuhiro who wrote Kyuu vs. Space Squad.

Return to “Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger VS Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger”