Ryusoulger 28 released

Another dinosaur Sentai???
Forum rules

Ryusoulger Wiki Link

< LVSP | Kishiryuu Sentai Ryusoulger | Kiramager >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:21 am

★★★★★
14%
★★★★
43%
★★★
29%
★★
No votes
14%

Total votes: 7
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Ryusoulger 28 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Previous episode rating: 3.22 / 5 (9 votes)

Alt Title:The lung bone is connected to the heart bone

Ha, luna edited in a joke for the alt title.

Here's a plan: cut the fucking tail.

What a flimsy excuse to not give blue any scren time. Fuck you, writers.

I'm really confused as to what Koh's punch did. If Asuna hadn't sneezed the monster out, that monster would have grown to full size in her lung.

Thought this was a pretty boring episode overall. Asuna gets a big acting moment when she tells Koh to hit her. And she does get Pachygaroo, but it doesn't totally make up for the rest of the episode being kind of a slog. Also, if Asuna can wear the armor here, why didn't they just let Melto keep it in the last episode? Stop taking the team aspect out of Sentai!

Two other little good bits. Thought Bamba getting weepy over Asuna was funny. Also Nara being creepily plotting to take the title of red from Koh might be kind of cool.

Poor gold guy, I forgot your name already, he's not even saving single ladies this time around. Stop wasting your time helping a married woman, she's already taken!

Was going to give this episode a 2, but it raises itself up at the end to a 3/5 stars for me.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: Ryusoulger 28 released

Post by Lunagel »

Questionable anatomy aside, this is another Red masquerading as another character's development episode. It's nominally about Asuna, and she even gets the power-up (yay!) but the majority of the good parts are taken by Koh. And yeah, Melto has a point. If he's got experience and he doesn't have that hesitation, then yes, let's let the person with the highest chance of success hit Asuna with the life-saving punch. (wow writing that out made me realize how dumb this whole plot was)

I had to research the "Baron flea" bit as I had never heard the phrase before. And apparently neither had anyone else, since the majority of people were asking about it. General consensus (and the guest actor's tweet) is that it refers to his man parts. Can someone with a penis please tell me if this is a devastating insult or not?

What was with the whole "you're not worthy to be Red"? and "I'll take over for you"? Can he do that? What is Nada's deal anyway? They better explain him within the next 3 episodes or so because I'm getting really tired of him.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I mean, I guess the character for man does show up in the Japanese word for baron (dan-shaku). Baron dick as small as a flea?

I'm also getting tired of how punches are being used as a panacea for all troubles and ails that the Ryusoulgers come across.
Mighty Action X
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: "Fast means going slowly without interruptions."
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Mighty Action X »

I said this once and I'll say it again. This Super Sentai Installment is more about the Mechs instead of the Sentai members.
Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Dreamy: Koyomi / Rian
Quote: Lost in Thoughts All Alone

Favorite Super Sentai : Goseiger / Kyoryuuger / ToQger / Kyuuranger
Favorite Kamen Rider : Wizard / Gaim / Ex-Aid / Build / Zero-One
Favorite Garo : Yami Wo Terasu Mono / Gold Storm Shou / Kami No Kiba

Post by Mandalori »

About the dick think, I think it's an insult to how a man is not able to please a woman and so is not a real man but I'm am unsure since I've never cared about that stuff.

Wouldn't be surprised if Nada was Gaisorg and I love the "do not play with a maiden's heart" since this time, it was litteral.
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

It was alright. Asuna's actress really gave it her all in this one I felt, and the moments of conflict in Koh were done really well. The solution being to punch the problem inside Asuna and not totally destroy her in the process is so absurd though. I know we gotta show off the latest toy, but wow is that 'imaginative'.

So Nada's clearly being set up as turning on the heroes, or at least Koh. Will he go full-on evil villain and try to kill Koh eventually, or will he have a big moment where he fails and is humbled into accepting that he himself isn't worthy to be red? I don't know but I think either could be pretty interesting.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

So failed Red is evil?

I'm not really getting where this show is going to be honest.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

If nothing else, this was definitely an interesting high-concept episode for Super Sentai. I'm not sure there's anything in recent years that's quite comparable to it; we've had several episodes where Hero X is at risk of dying if they aren't saved in the nick of time, but those episodes are normally played in a lighter manner, as weekly filler fare often is. This one was serious and introspective in a way we've rarely seen with Ryusoulger.

Overall I appreciate the seriousness of it - and that was one hell of an opening - though I'm not sure it came together as intended. Mainly, as everyone else has noted, it makes no damn sense how a punch is fixing the problem of breaking what's essentially a barbed wire strung around the heart. Not that Sentai sticks solely to the laws of physics, but it's out there enough that it breaks the suspension of disbelief. Perhaps it's an episode that would have been stronger if it didn't need to work in the newest toy, but then again the climax was always going to have to be attacking Asuna in some physical manner (because that's where the tension comes from).

If nothing else, it does stand out as one of the better episodes acting-wise. Both Asuna and Koh's actors got to reach a bit deeper here, and the show benefits from that. I could have done with more Asuna and less Koh, but the plot doesn't really allow that with her being the victim.

Also, what the heck is the MOTW supposed to be? I see Toei calls him Beelzebub - also known as the lord of the flies - but I'm at a loss for how that becomes the weird clown thingy that we see.
takenoko wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:21 am Here's a plan: cut the fucking tail.
Along with the lack of an explanation for how a punch fixes things, this is the biggest plot hole of the episode. It doesn't ruin things thanks to the character moments, but man does it feel like nonsense.
Marzarret wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:00 am I said this once and I'll say it again. This Super Sentai Installment is more about the Mechs instead of the Sentai members.
And yet this episode damn near skipped the mecha fight. There's like 5 seconds of fighting. Furthermore, judging from the set, they clearly shot this at the same time as last week's fight. Which would be understandable coming after a big fight like that, if not for the fact that they did nothing for the entire month before.

I continue to be flummoxed at what's going on with the mecha fights. Something weird is going on behind the scenes.
Lunagel wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:47 am I had to research the "Baron flea" bit as I had never heard the phrase before. And apparently neither had anyone else, since the majority of people were asking about it. General consensus (and the guest actor's tweet) is that it refers to his man parts. Can someone with a penis please tell me if this is a devastating insult or not?
Agreed on the interpretation that it's likely an insult about penis size. The MOTW's catch phrase of "enter hole"(!) leaves little room for doubt on that one. As for whether it's a devastating insult, while "flea" in particular isn't particularly effective, mostly because it doesn't quite work in English/western culture, in general I'd consider having your wife - your partner and the love of your life - insulting your penis size to be pretty damn devastating. :o

Meanwhile, I'm more surprised Sentai even went there. It's not a show above crude jokes, but normally Sentai plays down with bodily function humor (e.g. farts). Making such an overt reference to penis size is something else entirely. :shock:
BreadToku wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:21 pm So Nada's clearly being set up as turning on the heroes, or at least Koh. Will he go full-on evil villain and try to kill Koh eventually, or will he have a big moment where he fails and is humbled into accepting that he himself isn't worthy to be red? I don't know but I think either could be pretty interesting.
I was just thinking the same myself. Nada is definitely being setup for something. But the whole matter seems rather ham-fisted, as the series hasn't even established why he's stayed around for the last few episodes. He doesn't really interact with the other characters, besides Koh, so no effort has been made to show him as fitting in. As a result, it's difficult to take him seriously when he just seems to be a hanger-on that's around to stir up drama.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>Also, what the heck is the MOTW supposed to be? I see Toei calls him Beelzebub - also known as the lord of the flies - but I'm at a loss for how that becomes the weird clown thingy that we see.

Oh, he's a clown. THe minusaurs are a mashup of two ideas representing the scientific name of the monster. So in this case, this is the clown type of the beelzebub category of monster. When I translated this one for the wiki, I wrote Crown instead of Clown.
http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Kishiryuu_ ... b_Minusaur

>greed on the interpretation that it's likely an insult about penis size. The MOTW's catch phrase of "enter hole"(!) leaves little room for doubt on that one. As for whether it's a devastating insult, while "flea" in particular isn't particularly effective, mostly because it doesn't quite work in English/western culture, in general I'd consider having your wife - your partner and the love of your life - insulting your penis size to be pretty damn devastating. :o

You know, I laughed when I heard the phrase was "enter hole", but combining that with the penis thing really makes me wonder about the weird adultness of the subtext
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:56 am You know, I laughed when I heard the phrase was "enter hole", but combining that with the penis thing really makes me wonder about the weird adultness of the subtext
Depending on whether we count Canolo's strange as heck quest to get married, this is either the second or third time the show has been weird in that way this season. Back in the teens we had that episode where the victim was vaguely hinted to be a pusher for a hostess club. Every now and then we're getting oddly adult fare in a show that is otherwise not aimed at that audience.

(It's a shame this episode came out in October. If nothing else, it would have been good fodder for 4-1)
Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Dreamy: Koyomi / Rian
Quote: Lost in Thoughts All Alone

Favorite Super Sentai : Goseiger / Kyoryuuger / ToQger / Kyuuranger
Favorite Kamen Rider : Wizard / Gaim / Ex-Aid / Build / Zero-One
Favorite Garo : Yami Wo Terasu Mono / Gold Storm Shou / Kami No Kiba

Post by Mandalori »

ViRGE wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:22 pm Back in the teens we had that episode where the victim was vaguely hinted to be a pusher for a hostess club.
I think I don't remember that one.
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

Mandalori wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:22 am
ViRGE wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:22 pm Back in the teens we had that episode where the victim was vaguely hinted to be a pusher for a hostess club.
I think I don't remember that one.
14, the Canalo intro episode
CheetahLynx
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Engine Sentai Go-Onger

Post by CheetahLynx »

Would this have been better if Koh were the victim and Asuna were the one to save him?
CheetahLynx
I was gonna list all the series I've watched but there's a 255 character limit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Oh well.
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

CheetahLynx wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:28 pm Would this have been better if Koh were the victim and Asuna were the one to save him?
Definitely. Koh has had enough focus episodes
Mxylv
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

So Ryuusoulger but with a little Alien? This show can be oddly dark, though maybe it rubbed me the wrong way, since it wasn't even fun by this point (and that's coming from someone who usually likes darker episodes). It feels like this should have been a victory for both the series and Koh as a character, but it's rather littered with issues. Mainly, I can get Koh wanting to be the solution to a problem he saw himself as partially causing, but between Melto having more experience with the armor and Koh's previous failed attempts, it ultimately seemed like selfishness rather than honor that drove Koh, and the stakes are too high here to take such a motivational and logical flaw for granted.

If nothing else, I'm glad they skipped Canalo's romance subplot, plus they let Asuna use the Ryuusoul at the end. Still, the rather ludicrous darkness, the reliance on fridging, the double entendres and the aforementioned issue with Koh made it a pretty bad watch for me--probably my least favorite episode of the series so far. When Asuna said "How dare you try to meddle with a maiden's heart," it felt like she wasn't just talking to the minosaur threatening her heart so much as whoever wrote the minosaur doing so.
CheetahLynx wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:28 pm Would this have been better if Koh were the victim and Asuna were the one to save him?
I'd be up for that; I don't think it'd raise the episode to 5 stars for me but it sure would help
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, HwTM, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,

Return to “Kishiryuu Sentai Ryusoulger”