Pricious Pronouns

Another dinosaur Sentai???
Forum rules

Ryusoulger Wiki Link

< LVSP | Kishiryuu Sentai Ryusoulger | Kiramager >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

ASSUME! THAT! GENDERRRRRR!

Boy
42%
Girl
16%
Nonbinary
6%
Other
6%
Monster
29%

Total votes: 31
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Pricious Pronouns

Post by Lunagel »

Yes, it's time once again for everyone's favorite game!

You'll notice that I used "he" to refer to Pricious in this episode and "she" in the previous one. The truth is there's no hard evidence for either so I'll lay out the facts:
  • Heart/Pink - Pricious has a heart design on the face and uses pink liberally on the suit.
  • Body shape - Is fairly slim and moves effeminately
  • Boku - Generally a male pronoun to refer to self, but there are the occasional girl characters that use it
  • Voice actor - Female seiyuu but voice is quite low so could go either way
  • Name - Precious (pixiv says maybe Principal like the ballet term?) + Prince/Princess? / Name could be a reference to 2017 anime Princess Principal?
  • Tits - none
I made the call this episode to use "he" since the last point is the most damning in my mind. AFAIK there has *never* been a female commander without obvious boobs because without tits how will the kids know it's a girl? (Kyouryuuger's Luckyuro never got any confirmation either way so no count)

I'm not going to use intersex/gender neutral pronouns because I think that's crediting Toei with too much imagination.

Don't tell me that RangerWiki uses "she" cause a) anyone can edit that shit and b) they're going off the same information I have so it's just opinion
Slowking
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Favorite series: Magi/Geki/Gokai/Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gosei/W
Quote: Henshin!

Re: Pricious Pronouns

Post by Slowking »

The only other thing atm is speculation by some people that the Druidon generals are chess pieces, and Pricious is the queen piece. But it's speculation. I do lean towards boy for now though.
Behold the Emperor!
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

Tankjou and Gachileus are rooks, Wiseru and Wuden are bishops, Pricious is a knight
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Hate to agree with Luna, but that's a knight diagram on Pricious' design assuming they copied the design off this site:
http://www.chesscorner.com/tutorial/bas ... knight.htm

Seems obviously coded male to me, going off the design and the fact that "boku" is used. Besides being voiced by Romi Park, there's just nothing that strikes me to think this character is female (guys can have pink and hearts too). Plus Romi Park has played a ton of famous male anime characters, so her gender isn't really that much of a weighted factor towards female.

Feels like a repeat with Luckyuro and Kyuuemon.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Just to add a bit more from the Pixiv article
https://dic.pixiv.net/a/%E3%83%97%E3%83 ... 3%E3%82%B9

They don't ultimately land on a gender. A few things they mention.
-The suit actor never plays female characters
-There's every possibility that Pricious is a tomboy, which would explain the use of boku and the slim figure.

So that kind of shakes how sure I am of the characters gender. Regardless, since the character self-identifies as boku, I still think Luna made the right call with treating Pricious as a male character until proven otherwise.

(Also, the new She-Ra has a gender neutral character, and they're awesome! )
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

takenoko wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:56 am-The suit actor never plays female characters
That's uh, rather inaccurate there. Yuichi Hachisuka has a styled history of playing female characters from Shinkenger's Dayuu Usukawa to Candelila, Madame Noir, Naria, Gauche to GoseiPink, White Swan, Pink Turbo, Mele's armored suit, the list goes on.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Maybe the writer didn't know the suit actor or thought it was someone else? I didn't research it super hard, but the suit actor for Pricious isn't listed on the Japanese wiki yet
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

Ah, no, I understand. Meant none of that personally as much as speaking as a fan of Hachisuka's work. That's weird if it's not listed on the Japanese wiki though, they're usually a lot more reliable than places like Rangerwiki...
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Do we have an official source for the suit actor identity? I think a lot of the time Japanese wiki will cite like a magazine or some interview from the suit actor themselves.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Lunagel wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:16 am AFAIK there has *never* been a female commander without obvious boobs because without tits how will the kids know it's a girl? (Kyouryuuger's Luckyuro never got any confirmation either way so no count)
Everything else points to Pricious being a girl. But that item alone is a damn compelling argument. You're absolutely right about Sentai not being subtle about these things. :o
takenoko wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:39 am Hate to agree with Luna, but that's a knight diagram on Pricious' design assuming they copied the design off this site:
http://www.chesscorner.com/tutorial/bas ... knight.htm
Interesting find. After whitehelm's observation last week, it was clear that Pricious wasn't the queen. But I hadn't been sure if he was meant to be a knight or a king. It seemed too early for the latter, but then again I wasn't expecting any Druidon knights, since knights are the Ryusoulger's whole thing. Based on those diagrams, this is very clearly a knight. Leaving us with knight-on-knight violence.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Typically when they have a female commander, they go out of the way to make it obvious as possible (ie breasts on the suit and an obvious female voice).

Romi Park doing the voice and the appearance doesn't really scream female space monster to me.
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

oh i thought it noticed a hint of breast when Precious was Slapping their power up card into their shoulder.
whitehelm

Post by whitehelm »

ViRGE wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:15 am Based on those diagrams, this is very clearly a knight. Leaving us with knight-on-knight violence.
The horse heads make it more obvious.
njb
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Timeranger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze

Post by njb »

Lunagel wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:16 am
  • Name - Precious (pixiv says maybe Principal like the ballet term?) + Prince/Princess? / Name could be a reference to 2017 anime Princess Principal?
Perhaps capricious + precious?
Watching:
- SS Kiramei, Deka, Ninnin
- KR Saber
Finished:
- SS Time, Shinken to Toq, Jyuoh to Ryusoul
- KR Decade to Zero-One
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

njb wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:48 pm
Lunagel wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:16 am
Perhaps capricious + precious?
Dunno, it's a possibility but I'd be a little doubtful simply because capricious is a big word that's not taught in high school

Return to “Kishiryuu Sentai Ryusoulger”