Ryusoulger 34 released

Another dinosaur Sentai???
Forum rules

Ryusoulger Wiki Link

< LVSP | Kishiryuu Sentai Ryusoulger | Kiramager >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:58 pm

★★★★★
No votes
★★★★
42%
★★★
33%
★★
17%
8%

Total votes: 12
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Ryusoulger 34 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Previous episode rating: 2.14 / 5 (14 votes)

Alt Title: Let's head to the mountains to power-up

...despite Nada dying to give Koh a power-up just last episode. A power-up that's instantly nullified by this episode...

It wasn't a bad episode, but despite Romi Park, I didn't really feel very excited about this episode either. It was fun to see Oto messing with her brother, but why does the elder call her Aki? If that's a reference to something, it went over my head. It also kind of speaks to the poor world-building in that, despite the sparseness of the world, this is still the first time the elder has met the sea Ryusoulgers and the brother Ryusoulgers.

If you have a question of why Pricious is gendered male, take a peek at Luna's thread here (where this staff of cis heteros declares the gender of this fictional character):
viewtopic.php?f=155&t=23755

Otherwise here's my live commentary from when I qced the episode:

Why is Koh depressed? Did he have an especially close relationship with Nada that... I dunno... maybe Bamba or Towa would have made more sense to have? How is Koh the most stupidly happy character and also the one most depressed too?

I forgot Elder was a character? (Looks at the episode count.) It's kind of dumb that he hasn't met the brothers even yet. This writing is so strange. Why a yellow car?

Man that space Godzilla sure is fucking up the city. Why does Space Dragon feel like kind of a boring design? Even the name is lacking in imagination

Well, it was nice to see Asuna and Melto in the cockpit for one scene

Luna are the stairs where Max Red fighting Pricious famous? I want to know the location so people can go there and do a Joker dance on them.

God I hate ShineRaptor as a thing that exists since it's such a terrible impedement to story telling and world creation. "We can't let the city remain destroyed, just call out the genie to wish it better."
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: Ryusoulger 34 released

Post by Lunagel »

Damn Koh, not depressed over Nada's death? Harsh, dude.

I rarely comment on the cms but I'm just gonna say that the Amazon one is technically a lie, they did a Cyber Monday sale last year which is basically the same thing.
Slowking
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Favorite series: Magi/Geki/Gokai/Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gosei/W
Quote: Henshin!

Post by Slowking »

Better than last week but Koh's lack of depression and the rest going "oh you weren't depressed? good!" was WEIRD.

The remembered the Elder two thirds into the show? Oh well, better late than never, but it would have made more sense for world building if they had done this at the beginning.

"I just don't like that he's the only one standing out." Neither do we Bamba, neither do we.

Canalo using the new Kishiryuu was good.

Pricious should stick around and overpower them for a while. Her pet is fun too~

3/5
Behold the Emperor!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Sorry Nada, looks like people just couldn't give a damn
Lunagel wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:29 am I rarely comment on the cms but I'm just gonna say that the Amazon one is technically a lie, they did a Cyber Monday sale last year which is basically the same thing.
#AmazonLied

This forever

>Canalo using the new Kishiryuu was good.

He did what now?

Oh yeah, more people should comment on CMs. Asuna being away to eat at the start of the live show instantly makes this funnier than like the 100s of sentai live show cms they've done before.
Slowking
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Favorite series: Magi/Geki/Gokai/Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gosei/W
Quote: Henshin!

Post by Slowking »

takenoko wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:13 am
>Canalo using the new Kishiryuu was good.

He did what now?
Pteradon
Behold the Emperor!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Oh I hadn't even noticed. It's a pity the mecha are so forgettable this time around
hiro9796
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: TOQger, Kamen Rider Zero One, Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger VS Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Agito, W, Zero One
Dreamy: Sinon (SAO), Megumin (Konosuba)
Favorite Actor?: Endo Aya, Shimono Hiro
Alignment: Lawful Good
Quote: Ah le le!

Now, count up your sins!

By the power vested in us by the Global Police, we will deal with you by force!

There's only one person who can stop you, me!
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by hiro9796 »

takenoko wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:13 am
This forever
This is where I wish we have Tendou Souji, Kagami Arata and Kamishiro Tsurugi personality in the Ryusoulgers. I can see Bamba is another Tendou but why he is black instead of red!!!!
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

That was an interesting episode. The humor is kind of painful, but then it often is. Either way, we were due for it since they killed a guy last week; so they had to find somewhere to throw in the bad gags before things got serious again.

I'm glad we have another Druidon general. Groucho Marx is too one-dimensional, and Wiseru is a bit worn out. I have to say I'm really surprised we're getting a knight Druidon though; since the Ryusoulgers are the knights, I expected the Druidons to only do Pawn/Rook/Bishop/Queen/King.

I'm less enthused that the new guy immediately nullifies the new power-up. It had to happen, of course, as you can't have Koh on his own curbstomping everyone for the next 18 episodes. But they really went from 100 MPH to 0 there. Buy the cool toy were were hyping up 5 minutes ago, even though it just got hard countered by a new bad guy.

Do find it interesting, however, that it's Max RyusoulRed. Maybe, just maybe, Koh will share the new power-up?

The upshot, at least, is that the fighting scenes with the Max Ryusoul have been good. Even in the short fight against Groucho, there was a cool spinning backkick that looked very flashy. One of the downsides of the Ryusoulgers' swords being a core part of their armory, we don't get very much hand-to-hand fighting - and kicks are rarely much more than a forward kick - so it's a nice way to change things up.

Meanwhile, we finally get a proper kaiju! After the one in the very first episode, I wasn't sure we'd get another. Like Max Ryusoul, it's a nice way to shake things up. But as we saw in this episode, these giant-only suits mean we're going to get a high production value fight, and this episode didn't disappoint. Sadly, it was a short fight - about half a fight, really - but they did a great job with the pyro, the low camera angles, staging the punches, etc. Also, when you consider what it takes to actually stage a scene where a suited actor is riding on top of another suited actor (those suits are heavy!), that's really impressive.

Oh hey, and it's the village elder. Whom we haven't seen in about 30 episodes. Why are you here, again?

Finally, I have no idea why Koh is thinking he's conceited. Losing a fight against an enemy you knew would be tough is not conceited in my book.
takenoko wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:58 pmWhy does Space Dragon feel like kind of a boring design? Even the name is lacking in imagination
I for one like the design; it's nice to have a non-humanoid kaiju now and then. However I absolutely agree that the name is rather lame.
Slowking wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:28 pm"I just don't like that he's the only one standing out." Neither do we Bamba, neither do we.
Hear, hear!
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Didn't they have to do random trials in Kyoryuger to get a power up as well? Are they seriously ripping the same arc off?
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

SO i guess its confirmed thats Max Soul is Red only? thats lame. like seriously, why couldnt the others use it? though personally i would have liked for Nada to stay around as RyusoulViolet, and redeem himself as a person and as a ryusoul tribe member. i liked that he transformed with his sword, which looks a lot better than with those chunky red dino heads everyone else wears.

but anyways, the power up got defeated in the next episode after it being introduced is kinda weak, but i guess the other members going to strengthen themselves ... oh wait .... EVERYONE is going. meh. ALSO Koh why didnt you mention Precious to the Elder? like seriously? why?
Mxylv
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

It's nice that they're giving Koh flaws, but I really wish they were consistent. He's had anger issues show up for what feels like a good 5 episodes (and are now adding pride), but it seems like he only has problems when they relate directly to the story. (Also, wow; Koh's friends try to cheer him up after Nada's death, but Koh's just thinking of how to use the power he got as a result of Nada's death? Hope that was intentional as per his having flaws...)

Anyway, nice bit of continuity with Koh and Melto deciding not to tell Asuna about the Elder (also, by this series' standards, nice bit of continuity with remembering the Elder exists). The villains are also starting to feel more like actual characters thanks to the in-villain conflict and interaction; I don't recall multiple Druidons talking to each other being used for much more than a gag or character intro beforehand, with Kleon being the sole exception. Additionally, prior episodes lacking a proper mecha fight only make the druidon's near Godzilla-level destruction seem to actually matter. (Except then there's Shineraptor... I know Sentai aims pretty young, but if you can fix anything and largely ignore the human toll it starts to feel like nothing matters, and that's after they killed a character off).
takenoko wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:13 amImage
Ha! I'd taken the same screenshot, but you beat me to posting it
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
Aeikozz
Faiz
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Aeikozz »

at this point i'm like... just wake me up when the next sentai gets here.
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

I was ready to just assume that enough time had passed from the previous episode to this one that all the characters had done all the mourning they needed to, so if they didn't say anything about Nada's death, I'd be fine with that. But the episode opens with them trying to cheer up Koh with a comedy act presumably because he's still bummed over losing Nada.

I have so many problems with this opening gag, the fact that they think the best approach to someone in mourning is to tell stupid jokes to get them to laugh. I mean, maybe if it was a child (make whatever jokes about Koh as you wish). Or the fact that Koh said he wasn't actually upset about that sort of gives the deeper implication that absolutely nobody on the team had any lingering emotions about what happened to Nada whatsoever. ...It was really a bad addition to the script, all in all.

Anyhow the rest of this episode was pretty straightforward. New bad guys show up, beat up the heroes, and now the heroes need to go on some trial of self-discovery to get stronger. It might be too much to hope that it's going to be a big and important development for all six of them rather than just Koh, but I'm hoping it'll be a fun journey regardless! (Fun for the audience, I mean. I expect the heroes to be run through the wringer.)
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

ViRGE wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:45 am Do find it interesting, however, that it's Max RyusoulRed. Maybe, just maybe, Koh will share the new power-up?
I wish, but looking at the design it seems unlikely.

>Didn't they have to do random trials in Kyoryuger to get a power up as well? Are they seriously ripping the same arc off?

Did they? I totally forgot

>Anyway, nice bit of continuity with Koh and Melto deciding not to tell Asuna about the Elder

What was that again?
Greenstalker
Mega

Post by Greenstalker »

takenoko wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:32 am
ViRGE wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:45 am Do find it interesting, however, that it's Max RyusoulRed. Maybe, just maybe, Koh will share the new power-up?
I wish, but looking at the design it seems unlikely.

>Didn't they have to do random trials in Kyoryuger to get a power up as well? Are they seriously ripping the same arc off?

Did they? I totally forgot

>Anyway, nice bit of continuity with Koh and Melto deciding not to tell Asuna about the Elder

What was that again?
The grey ranger put them into tests against some of the dino powers and red was put on all fours tests and manage to complete it before all of them than gray said red didn't have any weakness so he can't level up anymore. A similar situation to current one.

On an unrelated note am I the only one thinks that Kleon might be the king piece and last boss? I just have this feeling about it.

Return to “Kishiryuu Sentai Ryusoulger”