Ryusoulger 36 released

Another dinosaur Sentai???
Forum rules

Ryusoulger Wiki Link

< LVSP | Kishiryuu Sentai Ryusoulger | Kiramager >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:05 am

★★★★★
50%
★★★★
38%
★★★
13%
★★
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 8
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Ryusoulger 36 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Previous episode rating: 2.56 / 5 (9 votes)

Alt Title: Someone gets a character episode besides Koh

So, I'm going to start by saying I'm giving this episode five stars. My criteria for a five is when an episode goes above and beyond what is a usual "good" episode of the series. And with Ryusoulger, giving a non-red character their own episode qualifies for that.

It's kind of an interesting episode, because I'm usually pretty ambivalent about Towa. He's just usually their to be Bamba's foil. He hasn't really had a focus besides being kinda shitty at the beginning, then having a character arc where he and his brother become less so. So when he tells Koh that he's always been nice. I have to ask, "Were you really, Towa?"

But in general, I liked that Towa has some concerns and they're mirrored out by the girl he meets in this episode. I honestly don't know if worrying about what'll happen in the future is really a good theme for either Saki or Towa (it's honestly kinda weird if you think about it) but it's fine. But it's fine as a character moment, since Towa doesn't really have much else to draw upon.

My only major criticism is that it's paced weirdly. We see Saki and Towa at the beginning. But we don't really return to them till like 7 minutes in, and it doesn't really truly feel like a Towa episode until like 15 minutes in. It doesn't kill the episode, but it could just be a little tighter.

Bonus: Saki's coach is played by Sazer Gans. You get to see his bald head for a second!

And now my fun live commentary notes:
-Wiseru physically can't get it up. It's canon. Slime guy said so

-Does Wiseru always pun? I don't remember him doing that before

-Koh, get the fuck out of here. Bamba should be talking to his brother about Saki.

-Towa, you were with Saki all day and you didn't notice the green globs coming out of here? Get out of here, writer-san

/me looks at the timer
Oh 15 minutes in and this is a Towa episode? I suddenly like this a lot more.

-Has Yokuryuu-Oh always had Canalo in the cockpit? I get that they need Towa to make this a character episode, but it's so sloppily arbitrary that I can't feel too happy about it even when they're ostensibly doing what I ask for. I mean can we bring in Asuna as a pilot to make the robo stronger? Or Bamba to make it more stalwart? If so, can we get more of that please?

-Oh it's not Yokuryuu-Oh, it's the ultimate combo one.

-I hate that these guys are weird 100s of year old guys and it's never addressed in the lore. Like are they creepy vampires like Edward from Twilight for hitting on people way under their age?

-So let's talk about Saki a sec. Given what we know now, what is the mafia sounding conversation supposed to be at the beginning?
Slowking
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Favorite series: Magi/Geki/Gokai/Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gosei/W
Quote: Henshin!

Re: Ryusoulger 36 released

Post by Slowking »

It is stunning how much difference it makes when 1) focus is truly on a non-red character 2) you see Asuna use a power-up even if it's just during training 3) the enemy with the best personality is directly involved in the fight 4) you can relate to the character of the day.

Yes Canalo, doing the card tower trial definitely honed your concentration skills, this will finally help you find a wife, oh wait...

I was going to give this ep a solid 4/5 but ended up going for a 5/5 in the end simply due to Kreon spinning the rod and then saying "Now he's invincible!" (これで無敵だ Kore de muteki da), a reference to the Dairanger ending theme! Check this out at 12:25.
Behold the Emperor!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Oh right. The "invincible spear" is a reference to the Japanese word Mujun/Contradiction (矛盾). The kanji is made of a spear and a shield, with the story being there was a spear that could pierce anything and a shield that could block anything, and how it doesn't make any sense.
Slowking
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Favorite series: Magi/Geki/Gokai/Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gosei/W
Quote: Henshin!

Post by Slowking »

takenoko wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:44 pm Oh right. The "invincible spear" is a reference to the Japanese word Mujun/Contradiction (矛盾). The kanji is made of a spear and a shield, with the story being there was a spear that could pierce anything and a shield that could block anything, and how it doesn't make any sense.
Nice! Don't think I have heard of that before, I will look it up.
Behold the Emperor!
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

You may notice that there's no CMs this week not because there weren't any interesting/new ones, but because SOMEONE WHO SHALL REMAIN COMPLETELY NAMED TAKENOKO managed to totally delete the recorded raw AND all my image files INCLUDING effect images AND splashes
hiro9796
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: TOQger, Kamen Rider Zero One, Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger VS Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Agito, W, Zero One
Dreamy: Sinon (SAO), Megumin (Konosuba)
Favorite Actor?: Endo Aya, Shimono Hiro
Alignment: Lawful Good
Quote: Ah le le!

Now, count up your sins!

By the power vested in us by the Global Police, we will deal with you by force!

There's only one person who can stop you, me!
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by hiro9796 »

Unexpectedly, I like this episode better than most episodes before. Just remove Koh and replace with Bamba. That makes sense.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

All I've learnt is that Towa is better at getting a girlfriend than Canalo.

Also, last episode Towa kills 1000 mooks for his trial, and this episode he can't manage half dozen.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Lunagel wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:05 am You may notice that there's no CMs this week not because there weren't any interesting/new ones, but because SOMEONE WHO SHALL REMAIN COMPLETELY NAMED TAKENOKO managed to totally delete the recorded raw AND all my image files INCLUDING effect images AND splashes
It was pretty amazing number of things that went wrong. It's windows 10 so it doesn't give a confirmation by default when deleting. It didn't delete to the recycle bin so I must have been hitting shift when deleting. THe backup record didn't work because that computer's harddrive was full. Etc. No denial that it was all me, but I honestly can't explain how it happened other than I fumbled the key presses because I'm turning into an old man.

Luckily, I was able to grab the captions before losing the folder.

I was trying to delete something, but I thought I was in the Rider folder working on Zero-One stuff. I must have been in the file tree and had the Sentai folder related.

Sorry, no Power Rangers CMs this week!
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Holy cow. They finally remembered how to write a character-focus episode!

I'm not going to spend a ton of time gushing over this episode. But it's really good. It's easily among the best in the series even though there's nothing really relevant to the series' overarching plot going on. It's that quintessential Sentai character episode that draws on the heart of the franchise, and reminds you why this isn't just an action series.

Towa has had some of the least focus up until now, so to say he was due was an understatement. And while he didn't exactly come into this episode with problems, the writers did a good job of making hay with what they had. Pairing off the character with another, similar character to give them a mirror into their own lives is a classic technique, and done right it works really well. It allows the writers to sort of dissect Towa without the character being terrible introspective himself, which wouldn't be in character for him. And pairing him up with a speedster was an especially nice touch, since it gives them even more in common while disarming his ability to somewhat ignore things by being able to get away from them.

And while it was a Towa episode, I liked what they did with Melto and Koh as well. It wasn't an episode that focused on Towa to the exclusion of everyone else, and instead remembered that Melto was a tactician. Or better still, Koh is actually a great leader in this episode. He stands up for his subordinate when the others complain, and he cheers up Towa when he's facing his dilemma. But all the same, he also makes it clear to Towa that his skills are needed, and that he needs to resolve the situation.

The stunt choreography was also a cut above for this episode. We didn't get any long, explosive fights, but there are several shorter sequences in here that have a lot of care put into them. That training fight, for example, was a lot more kinetic than the usual MOTW fight. And, of course, we got a lot of Towa fighting untransformed. They also got some good, right-in-the-middle action shots of the transformed fight from what I'm assuming was a drone. Heck, even the mecha fight for this week was better than last week's, with more use of the physical suit.

Oh, and that entire exchange where Creon gives the MOTW a spear was great. It rides the line perfectly of being genre savvy by paying attention to what the heroes are plotting, while also not delving into parody and bad humor - a spear wielder moving at such fast speeds really would be a problem.

That is just about the most Sentai thing ever right there.:lol:

Though I am not sure what to think about how Creon and the MOTW escaped for the first time. Running full speed into Creon while he's doing his goo thing? That, uh, is a hell of a way to teleport.:o

If I have any complaints about the episode, it's that I'm tied of Canolo marriage jokes. Like, I really am exhausted of them. I'll admit it was a decent setup to the Towa plot, but it doesn't change the fact that the writers pumped that well dry a dozen episodes ago. At this point they're just bad reminders of how one-dimensional Canolo is.

Oh, and while 3 people driving the Greatest Robo Of All Time (TM) is better than 2 people, it's still not as good as having the entire damn team driving it as they should be.

Edit: Towa's girlfriend is named Saki and she drives real fast. I see you hiding there in the corner, Go-Onger! :P
takenoko wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:05 am -Wiseru physically can't get it up. It's canon. Slime guy said so
I can't decide of the post on the front page was worse before I saw the episode, or after I've seen it and get the full context. Both scenarios are terrible in their own ways.:lol:
-I hate that these guys are weird 100s of year old guys and it's never addressed in the lore. Like are they creepy vampires like Edward from Twilight for hitting on people way under their age?
You're not wrong. It's an inherent flaw (or at least squickiness) to the premise. But otherwise they'd only be able to interact with Ryusoul tribe members, and there is a significant shortage of those for unexplained reasons. For all practical purposes they're still as young as they look; they don't seem to have the wisdom or emotional maturity from someone who's lived for a hundred years.
-So let's talk about Saki a sec. Given what we know now, what is the mafia sounding conversation supposed to be at the beginning?
I don't think that was meant to be mafia-related or the like? Rather, it sounds like her manager and/or sponsors are quite pushy?
hiro9796 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:38 am Unexpectedly, I like this episode better than most episodes before. Just remove Koh and replace with Bamba. That makes sense.
I actually disagree with that. Bamba was great in this episode; I liked how they played his stoicism perfectly when he pointed out that he's focused on defeating the Druidons first before even thinking of what comes after. He really is old school stoic in all the good ways. But for that reason he's not the person to console Towa. Towa didn't need to hear emotionally distant stoicism; he needed to hear something more motivational from a friendly leader. As written, Koh was the perfect character for that scene.
Catastrophe wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:38 am All I've learnt is that Towa is better at getting a girlfriend than Canalo.
Towa is not desperate. That instantly makes him a lot more attractive.
Also, last episode Towa kills 1000 mooks for his trial, and this episode he can't manage half dozen.
To be fair, he was doing just fine until Creon took a hostage and forced him to stand down.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>I'm not going to spend a ton of time gushing over this episode.

/me looks at this statement, then scrolls down

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Credit where credit's due, this episode was written by Shita Ayumi (who gets points just for not being our usual main writer for this series). She did
episode 9 - the one where Bamba saves the day
episde 17 - where we learn Bamba is into grandmas
episode 23 - which seemed to piss off luna for some reason
episode 30 - the boxing one?
Not bad considering there's more forgettable stinkers in this series

>Oh, and while 3 people driving the Greatest Robo Of All Time (TM) is better than 2 people, it's still not as good as having the entire damn team driving it as they should be.

Hear hear

Edit: Towa's girlfriend is named Saki and she drives real fast. I see you hiding there in the corner, Go-Onger! :P

>I can't decide of the post on the front page was worse before I saw the episode, or after I've seen it and get the full context. Both scenarios are terrible in their own ways.:lol:

Hey, Luna stole my joke. Hax!

>I actually disagree with that. Bamba was great in this episode; I liked how they played his stoicism perfectly when he pointed out that he's focused on defeating the Druidons first before even thinking of what comes after.

As understandably tired I am of Koh, you're probably right about that
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:10 am >I'm not going to spend a ton of time gushing over this episode.

/me looks at this statement, then scrolls down
Okay. Well I was trying to keep it short. Brevity is not one of my strengths. :lol:
Credit where credit's due, this episode was written by Shita Ayumi (who gets points just for not being our usual main writer for this series). She did
episode 9 - the one where Bamba saves the day
episde 17 - where we learn Bamba is into grandmas
episode 23 - which seemed to piss off luna for some reason
episode 30 - the boxing one?
Not bad considering there's more forgettable stinkers in this series
She definitely has the makings of a writer on the rise. It will be interesting to see how far she can go.

Return to “Kishiryuu Sentai Ryusoulger”