KR Zi-O the Movie: Over Quartzer

It's pronounced Ji Oh. AKA Kamen Rider Double Decade
Forum rules
Kamen Rider Zi-O Wiki Link

< Build | Zi-O | Zero-One >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Zi-O the Movie: Over Quartzer

Post by takenoko »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Kamen_Ride ... r_Quartzer

Stealth release
Kamen Norider 01
Thread forums.tvnihon.com/viewtopic.php?f=116&t=23868
Wiki wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Kamen_Norider
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: KR Zi-O the Movie: Over Quartzer

Post by Lunagel »

So nice to see the producers yelling at the fans for being too picky again. I mean, I get you guys are working on a budget and a deadline, but sometimes criticism is justified (like say, with most of Ghost). Having the main characters basically act against the viewers (Quartzer) who want to see a more cohesive history? It kinda left a bad taste in my mouth. Someone saying I "just didn't understand it" doesn't make me more likely to enjoy something, it makes me more irritated at the people who couldn't explain their vision properly.

That said, the non-Rider Rider cameos were pretty great. I freaking love Kamen Rider G and seeing the Brain/Zangetsu suits get a little more use out of them was fun. After all the Rider anniversary stuff, it's nice seeing the Riders that never show up in anniversary stuff because they're not technically Riders. Maybe we could get that with a sentai movie?

However, the niche-ness of the cameos is a bit perplexing. Brain was a TTFC exclusive web series, Zangetsu hadn't actually come out on DVD yet when this was in theaters so unless the kids went to see the stage play, they were probably confused. G was a tiny segment on a tv show like 15 years ago (though at least that's on youtube). At least with the main riders kids can easily find the series on streaming or on rental dvd, but way to basically put up a paywall to figure out what's going on. It's hard to see who this appeals to besides hardcore Rider fans. And while I have no problem with Toei pandering to the older crowd, doing so at the expense of the kids, who are the main audience for this movie, seems a little disingenuous.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

So they performed the PARTY song for Kouhaku Gassen this year. Gotta love those rugby thick boys in the background. Just massive appendages.

Goodbye Heisei!
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

I think I like this movie a lot more than I should. This movie brings up some plot points that ostensibly tie it into the show, but they're don't fit at all with any of the already ridiculous mess of plot points the show had. Nothing about the Drive ridewatch situation is cleared up, and Woz's 'backstory' just raises more questions than it answers.That all said, I ended up enjoying taking in the movie as it is, and as a weird send-off to the twenty years of heisei riders. Heisei Generations FOREVER felt more like a big party to celebrate those heroes legacies, whereas Over Quartzer is like some strange little story based on the idea of all those legacies existing, and I found it mostly entertaining.

The first half in the Sengoku period was okay, a really standard kind of toku action which I find rather odd to see here. I mean, I would have thought the big summer movie for your big anniversary rider isn't where you'd want to use such a generic set-up, but whatever. It was inoffensive. All the stuff that came after with the Quartzers... is rightly insane, but I never found myself upset about the weak story. For the most part, I was made to mostly remember the parts about Zi-O as a whole I was fond of, like the bombastic action, (admittedly shallow) cameos, and Woz's everything.

The Quartzer's and their mish-mash Heisei suits range from pretty cool to just okay. I think the Amazons guy looks the best, Black RX main villain being decent, and the green one based on those three old movies was eh. It doesn't visually read that well to me that they are capable of besting Geiz Revive and Grand Zi-O (then again, all Grand Zi-O does is job, huh.), but they're a fun concept.

As for the obligatory movie form though, I wish I found it more interesting to talk about. Oma Form is a rather generically 'cool' golden suit, but I can't help but compare it (unfavourably) to Zi-O's others forms. Zi-O II is much cooler, Trinity and Grand are much 'louder', and I don't even think Oma Form resembles Oma Zi-O anymore than his base form does. It's just generic and also powerful in a generic way. I really feel like the climax with all twenty riders (plus Geiz) should have been handed to Grand Zi-O, you know, the form that is supposed to represent the twenty series?

That climax though... Seeing the actual titles of the shows and their logos break through that giant screen to form the words Heisei? I love it for both it's absurdity and how amazing it is.

Though one nitpick I felt like having, which I admit I feel weird even nitpicking about this... That credits is really half-baked to me? It looked like a low effort fanmade music video. Just set a bunch of random clips in front of a black screen to a song. I mean okay, it's not entirely random, there was an effort to showcase the characters in a mostly sensible order (and I guess whoever made it agrees with me that Episode 28 was the peak of the show), but for a big screen product, it looks really bad.
Lunagel wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:02 am So nice to see the producers yelling at the fans for being too picky again. I mean, I get you guys are working on a budget and a deadline, but sometimes criticism is justified (like say, with most of Ghost). Having the main characters basically act against the viewers (Quartzer) who want to see a more cohesive history? It kinda left a bad taste in my mouth. Someone saying I "just didn't understand it" doesn't make me more likely to enjoy something, it makes me more irritated at the people who couldn't explain their vision properly.
I had interpreted that whole bit in a completely different way which is why I found it more personally agreeable. The Quartzers complaints about a messy history isn't about Zi-O itself being a mess, it's about how every Rider show does it's own thing and aren't at all compatible to one world where all these things could fit together. The various crossover movies have made people want to think about all the Riders in a shared universe of sorts, but every single series prioritising being it's own thing whether it takes place on a completely different kind of Earth like Build, or has its own idea about how humanity became the dominant species like Blade, is more interesting than trying to think about how they might all connect in a neat and tidy way.
Last edited by BreadToku on Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I have to agree with Luna. It felt like there where digs at the fans based because the staff can't get their shit together to handle the cohesiveness of the story and can't take criticism. Go looses his memory because the Drive power was passed on, but in pretty much the very next scene he remembers giving the rider power to Zi-O.

My biggest complaint is that the movie seems to completely ignore whatever the series was setting up. This fake Sogo was actually behind everything the whole time, except in the end he wasn't? I don't really get it.

The movie form was neat though. I feel like it should have been Zi-Os final form in season, as it looked much better than Grand and was fitting as a good Ohma Zi-O.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

This movie was everything wrong with Zi-O summed up in one neat little package.
Catastrophe wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:58 am I have to agree with Luna. It felt like there where digs at the fans based because the staff can't get their shit together to handle the cohesiveness of the story and can't take criticism. Go looses his memory because the Drive power was passed on, but in pretty much the very next scene he remembers giving the rider power to Zi-O.
It's funny, because the first instance of them taking digs at fans was back in 2.5, which obviously was filmed long before the show started. So it wasn't even fans criticising them, they were well aware right from the start how little sense Zi-O makes, and they did nothing about it.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Post by TypicalStandUser »

Zamonas, Norider, Brain, Manga!Kuuga, Zangetsu Kachidoki were the only things that mattered to me in this movie.

ISSA and gang should've gone for another gig than this.

I'd rather watch the Final Stage movie rather than this.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
KRCentury
I am the new #2
I am the new #2
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Ghost
Dreamy: Medic
Favorite Actor?: Gaku Sano
Favorite Band: ONE OK ROCK
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Rider Cards
Quote: "Humanity has Infinite Potential!"
"I don't want anyone to cry anymore!"
"Become a man who can always protect everyone's smiles!"
"WE fight for love and peace!, We'll create everyone's futures!, No one can crush that dream!"
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by KRCentury »

Putotyranosaurus can be heard right after Xtreme during that line of transformations
Uzur9
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaimu
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokai
Favorite Band: J-rock/pop + Dubstep
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by Uzur9 »

Clara's into line should be "Ich bin..." Not "ik ben" (12:40)
Kamen Rider left to finish:
Reiwa: Geats, Gotchard

Super Sentai left to finish:
Shōwa: Denjiman, Goggle V, Dynaman, Changeman

Heisei: Complete.

Reiwa: Zenkaiger, High School Heroes, Donbrothers & King-Ohger
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Uzur9 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:38 am Clara's into line should be "Ich bin..." Not "ik ben" (12:40)
She's Dutch, not German, "ik ben" is correct
Uzur9
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaimu
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokai
Favorite Band: J-rock/pop + Dubstep
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by Uzur9 »

Lunagel wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:59 am
Uzur9 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:38 am Clara's into line should be "Ich bin..." Not "ik ben" (12:40)
She's Dutch, not German, "ik ben" is correct
Thank you for clearing that up for me then.
Kamen Rider left to finish:
Reiwa: Geats, Gotchard

Super Sentai left to finish:
Shōwa: Denjiman, Goggle V, Dynaman, Changeman

Heisei: Complete.

Reiwa: Zenkaiger, High School Heroes, Donbrothers & King-Ohger
Aeikozz
Faiz
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Aeikozz »

I loved those nods to the Niche riders. I lost my shit when G came on. Him and his buildings.

That Manga Rider was cooool as helll.
Spoiler
I hear that Precure is Actually cameoing in one of the upcomming SHT movies.
This movie was alot of fun. Which i don't mind when it comes to Zi-O.
Sonicguy001
Go Go!
Quote: I'm a Kamen Rider

Post by Sonicguy001 »

KRCentury wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:31 pm Putotyranosaurus can be heard right after Xtreme during that line of transformations
really? wow. I never caught it
FangTrigger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: OOO
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Kamen Rider Sentai
Quote: Impossible is nothing.....Master everything!

Thank GOD Zi-O is over

Post by FangTrigger »

You know, in all my years of watching Heisei Kamen Rider...Not once has any of their movies or shows made me want to physically punch it in the face.

Zi-O is the first and only Rider to ever get that unique act of violence from me.

Now I see why this one has no poll, because this entire moive just felt like it was supposed to be a tongue-in-cheek joke about the abysmal writing of this series, straight down to the script. Everything felt sloppy, and most of the (4th wall? 3rd wall?) breaks were genuinely infuriating to me. The one moment that got a chuckle out of me was having the Special Riders showing up like in the middle of the final battle. Everything else felt wasted.

HowlingSnail said it best:
HowlingSnail wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:15 am This movie was everything wrong with Zi-O summed up in one neat little package.

To everyone who decided to read the posts before watching the movie, please, do yourself a favor and skip this garbage.
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

Now I feel like Woz, being the only one to cheer for Zi-O (this time) while everyone else wants him dead.

Return to “Kamen Rider Zi-O”