Mashin Sentai Kiramager Episode Zero Released

MagiRanger Deux
Forum rules

Kiramager Wiki Link

< Ryusoul | Mashin Sentai Kiramager | Zenkai >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.
decade368990
Train man
Favorite series: Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: W
Dreamy: Osaki Ichika and Kudo Mio
Quote: Grow a spine, J.A.R.V.I.S. I got a date. -- Tony Stark

Re: Mashin Sentai Kiramager Episode Zero Released

Post by decade368990 »

Ghost23 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:40 pm Say are you guys using a new format or something? I'm having trouble playing the episode, it keeps giving me "server execution failed". I tried downloading the 720 version and got the same thing. The KR Zero One played fine.
You're using VLC or Windows Media Player?
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Boy, this show's primary aesthetic is really not doing anything for me. Everything being sparkly (and focused on sparkly) is actually kind of grating in practice. We'll see if it gets a bit easier to deal with in a few episodes once the series proper is underway, but I have to admit this is the least exciting theme Sentai has done in a very long time.

And the stones being bobbled around is the worst. They're still inanimate objects, so there's no getting past the fact that whenever they move "on their own", if someone is holding them then it's blindingly obvious that the poor actor is physically moving them. It's the difference in body motions between pushing something around, and pulling on something that's trying to get away from you. Go-Onger had the right idea with the 2D avatars, especially since the avatars had faces for emoting with.

On the plus side, while the episode did run a little long, it was a solid setup for the series. It's not really a pilot in the traditional sense (especially since it's being told in the past tense), but it works as a kind of summarized origins story. Ultimately it's an exposition dump - it kind of has to be - but it works well enough. And the fake-out at the end with the holograms conveniently sidesteps any problems that could arise from the first encounter with the villains not having occurred with the complete team.
Catastrophe wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:11 am The bad guy had a painted face and exposed nose and mouth. Are they going for that early sentai feel?
We've seen the painted face bad guy in the trailers as well. I actually had my hopes up for that one; it's been the better part of a decade since we last had a face villain. Unfortunately I feel kind of let down on this one. The guy is clearly being overdubbed (and not especially well), so it does a poor job of exploiting the kind of emoting you can get from a proper face villain. I had been expecting a face villain with a weird head piece; instead we got a suit villain with a human mouth attached.

Otherwise, yeah, there are a lot of secondary design elements that certainly feel inspired by the older series. The heavy use of white in places like the swords and the uniforms is a big one. As well as the rangers' helmets. Even the civilian clothes were a bit anachronistic; while nothing looked explicitly and entirely out of place, Pink and Yellow in particular felt like an 80s/90s throwback with the jacket, the two-tone shirt, etc. There's enough going on there that it can't just be coincidental: someone is trying to infuse the designs with some elements of the 80s and 90s. It's a bit of an odd choice, but we haven't seen anything like this in a very long time.
VerusMaya II wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:57 am I... don't really like Mabushiina's baby cherubim face. Gonna be hard to look at her all season.
Right? It's not just unappealing and lifeless, but it's baby puke green as well. :(
takenoko wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:22 am I could go for a lady commander, feels like it's been a while since we had one of those
Ditto. It's been way too long. (Though if Toei were to do this traditionally, I'm not sure they could get away with hiring a JAV actress in 2020...)
Mighty Action X
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: "Fast means going slowly without interruptions."
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Mighty Action X »

I like this Episode 0. It's great to see how they were gathered while still utilizing the late Red Ranger arrival.

Anyway, when can we expect Episode 1?
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

When it's finished
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

had a magical girl anime vibe to it.
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

midorininger wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:34 am had a magical girl anime vibe to it.
Thumbs up.
Sinkuu
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: Let's make it Showy!

Post by Sinkuu »

I typically expect first eps of a series a day or two later than "usual" because of typesetting and getting used to new standards. the whole Ep 0 thing surprised me. didn't this go with the VS movie? where did you guys get the Raw for this from?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Luna sacrificed a chicken to obtained it through dark arts
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

It was on the streaming service, right?
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

/me hides the chicken, whistling
Sinkuu
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: Let's make it Showy!

Post by Sinkuu »

this is why I love you guys... lulz
JustiFanV2
7X

Post by JustiFanV2 »

Ghost23 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:40 pm Say are you guys using a new format or something? I'm having trouble playing the episode, it keeps giving me "server execution failed". I tried downloading the 720 version and got the same thing. The KR Zero One played fine.
If you ever get the "server execution failed" message on Windows Media Player, go to your Task Manager and end task the player from there. It should start working again after that.
Dengar
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by Dengar »

So... Since when is God Eater considered eSports?
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

Dengar wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:46 am So... Since when is God Eater considered eSports?
It was probably the most esports-y title they could get from Bandai that didn't have some other licensed character in it or inappropriate violence.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Monster Hunter recently had a big competition. One of the commentators was Chris from Team Darkside!

Return to “Mashin Sentai Kiramager”