Kiramager Episode 01 released

MagiRanger Deux
Forum rules

Kiramager Wiki Link

< Ryusoul | Mashin Sentai Kiramager | Zenkai >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:20 am

★★★★★
35%
★★★★
42%
★★★
23%
★★
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 26
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Kiramager Episode 01 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last Ryusoulger's rating: 3.36 / 5 (14 votes)

Alt Title: I have a stone, I have a magic! UNHHH! Kiramager!

Kinda meh about it, but I generally don't like episode 1's. I thought 0 was boring, but at least it had the variety of character's.

Here, it's just red going Euremeking constantly and wowing everyone with his IMAGINAAAAAATION

Plus there's some redundancy with stuff here that's already explained in ep 0

Basically I liked the four ranger group fight. Everything else is very stylish but I wasn't super entertained.

I think it's interesting that red stone can turn into a car and then a fire engine. Certainly opens up the possibilities for power ups.

Please be a good red year
VerusMaya II
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Mebius, Lupinranger vs Patranger, Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Ryukendo
Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo
Type: INFP Healer

Re: Kiramager Episode 01 released

Post by VerusMaya II »

That boy ain't right. I hope he calms down as time passes!!!

Don't have that much to say on this otherwise, honestly. Pretty standard introduction. I liked the Stone Bomber lmao

The idea that Crystalians were incapable of drawing (and imagining?) things other than their immediate reality is interesting. How'd they design buildings and stuff? Power levels seem unfair. This guy is good at fake swordplay. This guy can press buttons real good. And THIS guy has the power of the king!!!!
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

https://pbfcomics.com/comics/guntron/

When your mecha is used as ammo for other mech

I should probably rewatch that end dance

Edit: Forgot my notes:

-Man that CGI squid looks bad

-Today I learned the Japanese word for faucet is "snake's mouth"

-Ishi wo motsu ishi

Edit:
So I've been thinking about this a bit more. These are the two scenarios. What if Episode 0 had been Episode 1, Episode 1 was Episode 2 or what if Episode 0 and 1 were edited together into episode 1.

The first scenario probably would have been pretty unsatisfying as these. Some parts are too long while still not spending enough time with the Kiramagers. I know there are some past series with frustratingly scant backstories, but I think we spend too much time in Crystalia in episode 0. I feel like the strongest parts of both episodes were when we were visiting each ranger. There's a little too much focus on red in episode 1 for me.

The amalgam episode may have been more appealing to me? Just cut the fat and just have a stronger episode with equal focus on each ranger?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Kirameki MOvie 1

Post by takenoko »

At first I was annoyed at red, and wanted yellow, blue, or one of the girls instead.

But then I saw the montage and felt bad for him.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Dance

Post by takenoko »

Wish this were just a smidge more zoomed in. Have to admire the costumes this time around. Hey, the girls have white shoes while the guys have black shoes. Also just noticed the color lines that go down their pants/shorts.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Call me cautiously optimistic. I don't immediately hate Red, and the cast seems like they're already working pretty well together. The Mashin could go either way, either really obnoxious or kinda charming, depending on writing. I think Ryusoul messed up bad by not having deeper connections with their Kishiryuu, it just made all their talk of merging souls go really flat. Hopefully we won't go down that path.

Okay, the Sparkling Movie vol 1 was probably one of the best youtube extras we've ever gotten. Short, sweet, and pretty damn funny at points. The Rocky montage was inspired, and I honestly laughed out loud at the bathroom break. A far cry from the LVSP Henshin lessons that looked and sounded like they were filmed in a spare meeting room.

Wish the Kiramei Dance was more like some of those Precure dance tutorials. I mean this is way easier to sub, but it's so visually boring cause only like a quarter of the screen is actually moving.
Dengar
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by Dengar »

Not gonna lie... I have no idea why I'm this excited. But regardless, I can't wait for the next episode.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

So, it was pretty good as far as first episodes go. Like I'd say a 4.5/5. Except I'm pretty sure I only feel this way because we had episode 0 to watch and I went in to it knowing all that stuff. If you hadn't seen it, it probably came across as a very Red heavy episode.

There is some promising stuff. I like that the villains have a base (although I imagine being ankle deep in water can't be pleasant for the actors). I really enjoy that other than Red, the other 4 are super talented and experts in their field and Red isn't actually that great of an artist, but had this potential and between him and his gem, has this ability that can just wish things into existence. I'm sure at some stage this ability will get annoying because it'll probably be used as a deus ex machina all the time. I can also see myself getting fed up with the catchphrase. Also enjoyed the Red/Yellow gag.

My only minor nitpick is the fact that the suits already have this vehicle motif to them, when the gems had never turned into them previously. It can't have been that hard to at least hide the road markings on the suit and change them when that scene happened.

Cautiously optimistic of the year ahead.
WannaFantaMan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Legends of Tomorrow
2nd Favorite Series: Boku no Hero Academia
Dreamy: I have too many to list xD
Favorite Actor?: Kevin Conroy
Favorite Band: Hanson
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Fallout 4 and Elden Ring
Quote: AH, BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!! My mortal enemy!
Type: ESFJ Provider

Post by WannaFantaMan »

In comparison to the first episode of Ryusoulger, this was much better IMO. This had a good amount comedy in it so it's giving me a good mix of Abaranger and Magiranger in terms of feels.
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

I enjoyed this, especially because this was 99.99% camp. I have a theory that the red part was supposed to be cast as a girl, but they chickened out at the last minute. I kept thinking how a LOT of red's actions would seem more normal for a girl than a guy. Also, Yellow's crushed reaction when red knew everyone else but him would have been the normal reaction for a pretty boy to be dissed by some girl.
Sinkuu
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: Let's make it Showy!

Post by Sinkuu »

and to me, Red is coming across almost neurodivergent. agreed on the IMAGINAAAATION, there are a lot of things that call to other series, but I think it's kind of expected. I felt mashin fire and the vehicles call to GoGoV, the henshin DEFINITELY calls to hurricanger.

on the fence, will give it a few more eps.

btw, are we allowed to discuss the "Next time, on...." bits?
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

resop2 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:33 pm I enjoyed this, especially because this was 99.99% camp. I have a theory that the red part was supposed to be cast as a girl, but they chickened out at the last minute. I kept thinking how a LOT of red's actions would seem more normal for a girl than a guy. Also, Yellow's crushed reaction when red knew everyone else but him would have been the normal reaction for a pretty boy to be dissed by some girl.
Really doubt that. Red is a pretty average boy character, and more likely Yellow was mad cause he technically should be the most famous of the lot, but Red doesn't recognize him at all.

Since I have a feeling we're going to get questions about it, we're translating the name as Jodonheim with J not a Y despite the obvious Y sound. This is because the name is based off of the Norse realm of the giants, Jotunheim, and it takes more of a y than a j sound. Add in a palm tree Yggdrasil and it's clear what the background theme is this year.
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

Lunagel wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:21 pm
resop2 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:33 pm I enjoyed this, especially because this was 99.99% camp. I have a theory that the red part was supposed to be cast as a girl, but they chickened out at the last minute. I kept thinking how a LOT of red's actions would seem more normal for a girl than a guy. Also, Yellow's crushed reaction when red knew everyone else but him would have been the normal reaction for a pretty boy to be dissed by some girl.
Really doubt that. Red is a pretty average boy character, and more likely Yellow was mad cause he technically should be the most famous of the lot, but Red doesn't recognize him at all.
Is it normal for a high school boy character to writhe in embarrassment when he was praised? I don't know enough about Japanese culture myself to know that.
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

resop2 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:54 pm
Lunagel wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:21 pm
Is it normal for a high school boy character to writhe in embarrassment when he was praised? I don't know enough about Japanese culture myself to know that.
Didn't seem too strange to me. Plus the show is marketed to young boys. They're never going to have a female red from the onset.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Sinkuu wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:33 pm btw, are we allowed to discuss the "Next time, on...." bits?
Sure, but if you think it'll tread upon spoilery material, there's always the spoiler tag. It's the button on the far right that looks like a line through an eye.

Return to “Mashin Sentai Kiramager”