Kiramager Episode 05 released

MagiRanger Deux
Forum rules

Kiramager Wiki Link

< Ryusoul | Mashin Sentai Kiramager | Zenkai >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:53 pm

★★★★★
59%
★★★★
29%
★★★
12%
★★
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 17
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Kiramager Episode 05 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last Kiramager's rating: 4.73 / 5 (15 votes)

Alt Title:
WannaFantaMan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Legends of Tomorrow
2nd Favorite Series: Boku no Hero Academia
Dreamy: I have too many to list xD
Favorite Actor?: Kevin Conroy
Favorite Band: Hanson
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Fallout 4 and Elden Ring
Quote: AH, BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!! My mortal enemy!
Type: ESFJ Provider

Re: Kiramager Episode 05 released

Post by WannaFantaMan »

It's gotten to the point where I basically laugh like a crazy person during the mech fights because of how strange and random it ends up being. I MEAN THE CLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWS of doom showed up to fling stuff at them???
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Pretty good episode. Yellow is a really good character.

The auxiliary mechs all being weapons is a little lame though.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

So just to confirm, Tametomo wants to be the leader, and is demonstrably better at it than Juru, but we're supposed to be alright with the idea of Juru being leader just because he's Red?
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Oh I didn't write my post. I really liked this episode too. I think it's funny that yellow is functionally the leader and is the one secretly running things. So that's why I'm confused as to why we have to "say red is the leader" and "fool Shovellow into believing red is a good leader" instead of letting red be a good leader or proving he's a good leader too. Seems like just another in the line of Kiramager ending with weird takeaway morals.

So cute that the Earth babby Mashin yell Machiin when they transform compared to the Crystalia that yell Mashiin.
Catastrophe wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:30 am Pretty good episode. Yellow is a really good character.

The auxiliary mechs all being weapons is a little lame though.
So how fucked is it for blue's mecha to be a sword, totally swap outtable on the same level as the other three weapon mecha?
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

My thought exactly. I assume there will be some configuration where Blue gets shelved to dual-wield something else.
Sinkuu
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: Let's make it Showy!

Post by Sinkuu »

and yet every other sentai where the supporting mecha have been new arms, replacing a "main mecha". no one has said SHIT.

you get new stuff, you switch out the old. always happens.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT

Post by Catastrophe »

It's a special kind of sad when you aren't even a limb and get made redundant at episode 5.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

It's my main issue with Kiramazin, that Blue isn't really part of the combination at all, he's a weapon. It wouldn't be so bad, but it means that the only difference between Land Mage and Kiramazin is Helico's chest piece, and Mach flipping out a new face. Even just making Jetta provide the new face would have been better.

Ah well, he's still more vital to the combination than some other mecha. Like Bakuryu Ptera (Who was so unnecessary they once straight up didn't use her), Hououmaru, Wanmaru, Kidenjuu Houou (In Dairen-Oh at least), and probably loads more I'm forgetting.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, I know it's technically no different from swappable arms, but the difference here is the rest of the mechs can be the same robot even if he's not there. If the arm swaps you out, at least they consider that a new "form" at least.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

So, I’ve waited a few episodes before putting my thoughts down just to make sure I wasn’t being blinded by that new series glow. (Pun partially intended.) I’m really enjoying this series. There’s a lot the series is doing right, chief among that being the casting. I don’t think I’ve liked a cast this much since Kyouryuuger. Having spent on-screen time with them before, there’s something comforting about seeing Sayo and Shiguru in these new roles. Looks like we’ll spend some more time with Sayo next week, but she’s (ironically) been the typical big sister type so far . Shiguru’s character could easily be robotic if performed by the wrong actor, but he’s letting just enough through that stoic facade to ensure the character is multidimensional. Sena’s actress has so much energy that just bleeds through to the character and makes her so much fun to watch. I’m so grateful that they built a reason for Jyuuru to be the leader into the story despite him being the youngest and a student to boot. Tametomo strikes a great balance between emoting more than Shiguru, but not veering too far into being rash and hot-headed.

That kind of leads me into this episode, since it’s a Tametomo focus with a side-emphasis on whether he would be a better leader than Jyuuru. As soon as the flashback reached the point where little!Tametomo yelled at his grandfather, I was so afraid they were about to kill him off before Tametomo could apologize. Sure enough, they did. I lost my grandmother three weeks ago. I didn’t have anything nearly as tragic happen in our final interactions, but that part of the story hit me a little harder than it would have this time last month.

That said, it shed a really interesting light on Tametomo and Shovellow’s interactions. The way Tametomo went out of his way to avoid hurting Shovellow’s feelings was sweet, but I can’t help but wonder if the truth will come out at the worst possible moment (i.e. a later episode) and cause more harm than talking it out now would.

While you could argue that Tametomo is functioning as the team leader when they’re in battle, we’re probably heading toward a recognition that a strategist doesn’t have to be the leader because a good leader (i.e. Jyuru) knows when to defer to others. I know I said that I was glad there was an in-universe reason for appointing the youngest and least experienced member the leader, but that decision is still a little absurd.

There’s something about the dynamic between Jyuuru and Tametomo that reminds me of Magiranger’s Kai and Tsubasa. Maybe it’s just those snazzy matching outfits they wear before they transform.

The support mecha are pretty adorable. I’ve been having a hard time connecting to the Kiramei Stones when they’re in the jewel forms since they’re basically just talking bricks. Shovellow and the support crew were able to emote so much better in their vehicle forms with something as simple as the lights serving as eyes.

Daiya’s use as an extra team member is a really clever gimmick. For a team made mostly of adults with full-time jobs, having a proxy to fill in for them in a pinch is brilliant. It’s probably only a matter of time before overusing it gets them in trouble or the enemy hijacks, but y’know, all good until then.

All in all, a solid episode. If there’s a weak point right now, I’d say it’s the villains. Even with the evil uncle over there, their motivations are pretty generic.

Random thoughts:
-I felt really embarrassed that I didn’t get the Jyuuru/Jewel pun until I saw it explained somewhere.
-Those cockpits are soooo sparkly.
-That team pose at the end of the roll call is wacky. If even one of them was a gymnast I might be a little more understanding, but it doesn’t make any sense for any of their characters. Then again, I thought the Kyouryuuger dancing thing was bizarre at first and now I can’t imagine their transformations without it, so it may grow on me yet.
-I like the concept of Mabushiina - her backstory and her interactions with the team - but I have such a hard time looking at that face.
-The only quirk that’s annoying - Jyuuru’s catchphrase - is used sparsely enough that I can deal with it. I think it helps that the actor implied that it was embarrassing and had to be coached into doing a better job.
-Love the ending theme! Ryusoulger was the first series in a very long time whereI skipped the ending song because both the dance and song itself was not to my taste. Kiraful Miracle Kiramager is upbeat without being stupid about and the choreography isn’t too ridiculous.
-The opening theme is fun too. It’s a little awkward how certain sections in the video clips are probably placeholders for future mecha/characters to be added.
-I was a little surprised to hear that Kiramager was still filming when Jyuru’s actor got sick. I’d hate to see such an enjoyable series get derailed because of something out of anyone’s control, but not at the risk of the cast and crew’s health.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Hey PHurricane!

>I don’t think I’ve liked a cast this much since Kyouryuuger.

The casting is really good, but in general, the series as a whole just feels a lot better than some Sentai series that we've had in recent years. I'm not sure what to attribute it to, maybe it's Arakawa using his writing to steady the series and give it guidance that some of the more inexperienced writers aren't so skillful at doing?

>As soon as the flashback reached the point where little!Tametomo yelled at his grandfather, I was so afraid they were about to kill him off before Tametomo could apologize.

Yeah, I was already feeling secondhand embarrassment for lil Tame because it was obvious how it was headed. (Also sorry to hear about your grandmother) I don't know if it's conveyed, but Shovellow speaks with the cadence of an old man, and Shovel-jii is like Gramps Shovel or Old Man Shovel

>While you could argue that Tametomo is functioning as the team leader when they’re in battle

I guess there's something cool about Tame being like the brains behind the leadership. There's more to being a leader than having the title. And some very good leaders only work because they have really good support staff to help them accomplish things. I'm not too clear on what the true message is, but it's a neat way of introducing these concepts to kids

>There’s something about the dynamic between Jyuuru and Tametomo that reminds me of Magiranger’s Kai and Tsubasa. Maybe it’s just those snazzy matching outfits they wear before they transform.

I'm surprised I didn't make that connection up till now since the MagiRanger energy is so high

>Daiya’s use as an extra team member is a really clever gimmick.

I'm really glad this gimmick is an ongoing thing and not just a one off like I feared it being in episode 2. I still wonder if Daiya has any thought of its own though

-The only quirk that’s annoying - Jyuuru’s catchphrase - is used sparsely enough that I can deal with it. I think it helps that the actor implied that it was embarrassing and had to be coached into doing a better job.

Yossha lucky!

-I was a little surprised to hear that Kiramager was still filming when Jyuru’s actor got sick. I’d hate to see such an enjoyable series get derailed because of something out of anyone’s control, but not at the risk of the cast and crew’s health.

I thought they shut down the studio to get it cleaned. Were they still filming? Maybe they were filming the socially distanced parts
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

That was a pretty fun episode. But man, the writers were definitely on something when writing this one, especially once it got to the mecha fight.

I'm going to start with the villains this week, as it's easy to write about characters that were mostly absent. While this series clearly isn't being anchored by a villain face character - and as such the villains aren't going to get more screentime than usual - I was actually surprised by just how little screen time they got. The MOTW was on the screen for less than a minute; most of the initial fight was ranger-on-ranger, and most of the second fight was ranger-on-mook. It certainly worked, but I'm struggling to think of a self-contained episode that involved so little of a new MOTW. Normally I'd expect a MOTW to return if they're only sparingly used, but with these cheap designs, I reckon he's a true one-and-done.

Meanwhile we finally have confirmation that the series is going the Go-Busters route by reusing giant monsters as bases. Go-Busters handled the concept extremely well, but the show also set a rather high bar. In this case I'm not sure Kiramager is doing a very good job differentiating the body types; Go-Busters' Alpha/Beta/Gamma were very distinct, even after they were dressed up with their respective MOTW's abilities. But so far the Kiramager giant mosters kind of blur together in their basic designs (not helped by their limited color palette), and the only customization done to them (so far) is to the head/mask. So it comes off as kind of lazy here, as opposed to Go-Busters' tactical planning.

Meanwhile, I got a kick out of the moral of the day, if only because it tries to manipulate the audience in a kind of way that only Japan could try to pull off with a straight face. We learn about Tametomo's grandfather, and how, after Tametomo was a brat one day, his grandfather died of a heart attack. And then the show does nothing to try to make it not seem like Tametomo's fault. Not only is the backstory very concise in going from A to B - cause and effect - but then Sena comes in, and rather than saying something like "You must blame yourself. You know that wasn't your fault, right?" we get the equivalent of "boy, you must have felt like a shithead afterwards".

Normally I'd just write this off as being just a bit rushed or tone deaf. But then you have to take into account the actual intended audience for the show; the very young, very impressionable audience. And it no longer seems like it wasn't intentional. So there's your first lesson of the day, kids: don't be brats to grams and gramps, otherwise you'll kill them! :lol:

And then the show doubles-down on the whole message by using it to justify why no one can just tell Shovellow that he's wrong and is behaving inappropriately. No. Shovel-jii is the respected elder and is never taken to task for his subterfuge. Instead, he has to be tricked into re-joining the team and believing that Jewel is a capable leader. So there's the second lesson of the day, kids: don't talk back or try to correct your elders. :lol:

In all seriousness, it really is kind of a terrible moral.

Meanwhile I second the motion on the whole leader subplot being very unclear. Just because Tametomo is a master tactician, doesn't mean he needs to be the leader. We saw that point as recently as Ryusoulger last year with Melto being the brains. But what does Jewel bring to the table? He's red, and he has a specific power that no one else has. But that doesn't mean he needs to be the leader either. So far the show hasn't given us a good reason for why he's the leader, and while that's not something a Sentai has to absolutely establish right away, it's something that it really should have done early here if Tametomo wanting to be the leader is going to be a recurring plot.
WannaFantaMan wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:30 am It's gotten to the point where I basically laugh like a crazy person during the mech fights because of how strange and random it ends up being. I MEAN THE CLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWS of doom showed up to fling stuff at them???
The mecha production team clearly had a blast filming that. It was utter nonsense, but they got to have the robo slide underneath a bridge and chuck scale buildings at it. I'm really not digging the mecha designs this year, but at least the guys that stage these mecha fights are getting to do some unorthodox things in the meantime. :D
PHurricane wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:42 pm I’ve been having a hard time connecting to the Kiramei Stones when they’re in the jewel forms since they’re basically just talking bricks. Shovellow and the support crew were able to emote so much better in their vehicle forms with something as simple as the lights serving as eyes.
Agreed in full. While I'm not a fan of the designs this year, the production team did a good job of emoting using what amounts to an RC shovel. It's really good use of the physical models, and in my mind at least, underscores why actual models are so much better than pure CGI mecha.
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

i feel like Gokaiger hate the Kirameiger role call pose. and pretty sure Luka wont hold Doc like Tame holds Sena ....
Marvelous: at least I wont have to touch any of you lot.

anyway....

im not so much mad that the aux mechs are replacement or additional weapons, but its episode 5. couldnt we have waited longer? like ep10? if those other Kiremei stones had been this thing mentioned every episode until they were NEEDED, then fine. my second issue is, ok ... the flat bed became a shield. fine. the Roller became a hammer ... which they used a roller first then a hammer. ok. but the forklift is legit a fork. and the fork and knife combo attack was silly. granted 1000x more effective and useful than Wan-maru(ninninger) but even so. and NONE of them realised the giant monster was a crane game?

and yeah lying to Shovellow was messed up. but a Leader isnt always the person who calls the shots. Tame is the teams Tactician and gunner. Jyuuru supports his team and makes sure they keep "sparkling" for the things theyre good at to maintain the teams strength. while we havent seen him do this with Pink yet, its coming. i think it was said that a good Red has to trust his team and its hard because he has to trust 4 other people, where as the team member only have to trust 1 member the Red. So Jyuuru helps his team grow as individuals, and im sure him being the wallflower he likely is will benefit from all of that too. OF COARSE, thats dependent on the writers being capacble writing such a script where that can shine through.
windfall
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Gekiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by windfall »

Show has been good so far. I expect the villains to get more screen time and development once we get through these introductory character episodes. Although I'm not particularly unsatisfied if they keep it relatively simple with a group of evil aliens that want to take over the world (even if we sort of got that last season).

The story takeaways are somewhat questionable, but are they really that unrealistic? Interpersonal relationships are complicated, and while I prefer honesty to deceit, I think it's fine to use, let's call it alternative, tactics to keep things running smoothly. The world isn't all black and white after all. I'm sure we all know a few people that need to be approached in certain ways.

I think the bigger question we should is asking is why does a supposed jewelry company have security cameras monitoring the rooftops of random buildings in the city?

Return to “Mashin Sentai Kiramager”