Kiramager Episode 09 released

MagiRanger Deux
Forum rules

Kiramager Wiki Link

< Ryusoul | Mashin Sentai Kiramager | Zenkai >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Mon May 18, 2020 12:15 am

☆☆☆☆☆
54%
☆☆☆☆
38%
☆☆☆
8%
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 13
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Kiramager Episode 09 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last Kiramager's rating: 4.86 / 5 (14 votes)

Alt Title: Speed Queen VS Karuta Queen?!

Alright Sena episode. Liked how it was grounded in the friendship/rivalry that comes from not understanding each other's point of view.

Kind of a little dissatisfying to learn that Sena isn't necessarily good at Karuta, she just moves faster than other people.

This episode has a lot of wordplay, looks at writer, oh it's Arakawa Naruhisa.

Kind of wish the dialogue of the Kiramager cards were funnier.

I wish the theming between the Jamenshi and Jamenjyu were stronger. I guess karuta cards and go and Kyoto are all things popular in the Heian era?

Garuza is so passive in this episode. He just stands by and reads cards, content to play the karuta game. Then his train gets taken and he's just like "I'm powered up, but I guess I'll just let this happen". Okay???
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: Kiramager Episode 09 released

Post by Lunagel »

In case anyone's interested, we used the translations from Hyakunin-Isshu (Single Songs of a Hundred Poets) and Nori no Hatsu-Ne (The Dominant Note of the Law) by Clay MacCauley (1917) because they had more of an old feeling than some other translations.

In the episode they use poems number 12, 17, 74, 88, 19, 18, 1, 4, 10, and 77.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Huh. Were there any more modern translations that are available? It seems like older and more esoteric isn't always better, and I definitely didn't feel like I understood what all the poems were going for. Even the title seems overly literal. It's weird to translate isshuu has single songs, I've seen the title "One Hundred Poems by One Hundred Poets" used which seems much better. I dunno, I see that 1917 and have to say, damn, that's over 100 years ago now.
Aeikozz
Faiz
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Aeikozz »

I love Sena. She'a adorrable
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Pretty good episode, but the fact that she was no good at the game and just reads people and moves faster is strange. It fits what they've been doing with Kiramager so far, but its the one flaw this series has so far and it sticks out so much.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

takenoko wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:26 am Huh. Were there any more modern translations that are available? It seems like older and more esoteric isn't always better, and I definitely didn't feel like I understood what all the poems were going for. Even the title seems overly literal. It's weird to translate isshuu has single songs, I've seen the title "One Hundred Poems by One Hundred Poets" used which seems much better. I dunno, I see that 1917 and have to say, damn, that's over 100 years ago now.
http://jti.lib.virginia.edu/japanese/hy ... rames.html

Slightly modified version of that particular translation. Unfortunately the 1917 version is pretty much the only one out of copyright and therefore easily searchable. It does capture the spirit of the poem, and the syllabic structure as well. The poems are 700-1300 years old though so they're gonna be fairly hard to decipher.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Hey Sena, maybe don't tell the monster what your strategy is. If he was smart he'd have started faking her out so she grabbed the wrong ones.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

This show is succeeding 100% at being enjoyably dumb. It is a good complement to the dark and depressing Garo.

Now I am wondering if the Kiramager OP would fit well with the Sailor Moon opening animation?

It's too bad that Kamen Rider Zero-One is set in the future. The could have the manga drawing humageer get taken hostage by the bad guys, Izu shock Green buy zooming past her, and have Jewel find Aruto's oyaji gyagu's funny.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Doesn't Zero-One take place in parallel universe 2020?
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

Sena looks geat in that art on the front page!
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

takenoko wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 12:13 pm Doesn't Zero-One take place in parallel universe 2020?
Okay, maybe the set up will be that Garuza uses his bad guy powers to go to the Zero One universe and steal and corrupt the MangakaGeer. Seeing the monkeying around with dimensions, Decade shows up and takes Aruto and Izu to the Kiramager world and hilarity ensues? After Aruto saves the day, Tsukasa does kabedon on Aruto and tells him that a Kamen Rider's character is supposed to progress, not stay static.
WannaFantaMan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Legends of Tomorrow
2nd Favorite Series: Boku no Hero Academia
Dreamy: I have too many to list xD
Favorite Actor?: Kevin Conroy
Favorite Band: Hanson
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Fallout 4 and Elden Ring
Quote: AH, BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!! My mortal enemy!
Type: ESFJ Provider

Post by WannaFantaMan »

Good god just when I think this show can't get any weirder, the preview for the next episode goes, "HOLD ME SAKE!!!" and shows that even stranger events are coming. I feel like I'm watching a Japanese version of Legends of Tomorrow season 3, which I'm loving xD
Vim Crony
7X
Favorite series: Sh15uya
2nd Favorite Series: Faiz
Dreamy: Mio
Favorite Actor?: Cleavant Derricks
Favorite Band: Polaris
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Kiva and Comix

Post by Vim Crony »

I'm also watching Kiramager and Garo. They are a great balance of two shows. Everything else I lost interest in.

Yeah, Garuza's train getting taken again is kind of bumming me out. It seems so simple and not a dramatic arc like it could be. I'm still hoping we got a black and purple sparkling ranger reveal soon.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

After last week's two-parter, I'm not surprised that they went with a lighter episode this week as a breather. Still, it's kind of a lame episode.

I will give the writers credit for fleshing out Sena's character with something other than running. It's a good way to build her up early on. Having Mach along for the ride was a little weird (and don't take your eyes off of the road, lady!), but I can work with it. Also, I appreciate how they tied together Jewel's odd look at Makino near the beginning with realizing that she feared Sena; that had just the right level of subtlety: obvious in hindsight, but it wasn't something unusual for Jewel to do in the first place.

Still, this episode fails the "why don't they just shoot the bad guy first" test. Stupid games is a Sentai trope in and of itself, but normally condition that requires the Rangers to comply with the game is better established first.

Meanwhile, I will never get tired of the Kiramagers stealing Garuza's mecha. But I do admit it's a lot less enjoyable when he doesn't get mad about it.:(

Also, it's going to sound pretty mean, but I got a good laugh out of Sena's smile at the end. It's so forced; it's so badly forced. :lol:
Catastrophe wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 12:59 am Pretty good episode, but the fact that she was no good at the game and just reads people and moves faster is strange. It fits what they've been doing with Kiramager so far, but its the one flaw this series has so far and it sticks out so much.
And Catasrophe gets the award for deep thought of the week. It hadn't even clicked for me that she wasn't actually good at the game; I was more focused on the fact that Makino was trying to screw with her.

Someone at Toei is really enjoying their twisted morals of the week. :shock:
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

It's just the one thing that niggles at me week to week about Kiramager. Everything else is so good, and then there is this one little, which should be inconsequential bit that kills the mood.

Return to “Mashin Sentai Kiramager”