Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Saber Promo released

Post by takenoko »

Wiki

I'm kind of excited because books and swords are all cool things. Don't really like the cheap dragon shoulder pad though. Hope the fantasy aspect of this show isn't thrown away like in Ryusoulger

Kneejerk reactions:
<~takenoko> haha that's fucking peter pan
<~takenoko> wait kamen rider blaze is the water rider?
<~takenoko> weird, the bike is a reference to an italian publisher?

Looks like Blade rides a trike? Will vehicles get integrated into Riders again?

I think the themes are cool, but ultimately whether this is a good or bad show will live or die based on who's writing it
VerusMaya II
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Mebius, Lupinranger vs Patranger, Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Ryukendo
Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo
Type: INFP Healer

Re: KR Saber Promo released

Post by VerusMaya II »

<~takenoko> weird, the bike is a reference to an italian publisher?
Whoa this totally slipped past me. Nice catch. lol
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I guess De Agostini Publisher must be a big deal, but my ignorant American self has never heard of them. Does anyone else know them, or is this just a weird pull from Toei?
VerusMaya II
Humongous

Post by VerusMaya II »

Figured I'd use this thread to listen all the name puns/references/whatever that are gonna get lost just a tad in translation:

SABER:
Kanji is 聖刃, with 聖 (sei) meaning "holy/sacred" and 刃 (ha) meaning "blade". Combined we get "seiba".

THE BOOKS:
Wonder Ride Books. They appear to be serial-numbers-filed-off fantasy (and possibly others) books. Divided into 3 groups: Divine Beasts, Animals, and Stories.
Known books are:
- Brave Dragon (not sure on any reference here)
- Evil Dragon (not sure)
- Lion Senki (戦記 (senki) meaning "war history", possibly a double-nod reference to Heroic Legend of Arslan (アルスラーン戦記) and Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe (whose lion was named Aslan). "arslan" also means lion in Turkish)
- Jackun to Domamenoki (obviously Jack and the Beanstalk, but instead of the official ジャックと豆の木 they're using ジャッ君と土豆の木 Jackkun and the Beanstalk. They removed the -ku part of Jack and added -kun, and also threw in a 土 (do) "earth" before the beanstalk part which I'm unsure of the purpose of)
- Kobuta 3 Kyoudai (obviously Three Little Pigs, but instead of the official 三匹の子豚, they're using 子豚3兄弟 Three Piglet Brothers)
- Peter Fantasista (obviously Peter Pan. You could interpret the "fantasista" as a corruption of "fantasy", but otherwise, how in the world is a soccer/futbol position related to Peter Pan? idk)
- Lamp Do Alngina (I'd assume Aladdin, but unsure on how they corrupted the words here)
- Sarutobi Ninja Den (猿飛忍者伝 kanji is literally "Monkey Jump Ninja Legend", with a reference to Sarutobi Sasuke, a fictional leader of the ninja clan Sanada Ten Braves)
- Genbu Shinwa (玄武神話 references one of the four Chinese constellations, the black tortoise Genbu. 神話 (shinwa) means "myth")

OTHER RIDERS:
They're all named after some kind of sword... so far. There's several we don't know the name of.
- Blades or Bladez (ブレイズ), the water rider and our lion buddy.
- Espada (エスパーダ), Spanish/Portuguese for sword, but more specifically a Roman spatha. The lightning rider.
- Kenzan (剣斬), with 剣 (ken) meaning "sword" and 斬 (zan) meaning "to cut/kill with a sword".
- Calibur, a pretty safe reference to the legendary sword Excalibur.

ENEMIES:
Their group, apparently including the traitor/evil Calibur, is called Megido or Megiddo.
We've got Legiel (レジエル), a corruption of "legend". Zuosu (ズオス), a corruption of "zoo"? And Storius (ストリウス), a corruption of "story".

MISC:
As mentioned above, Saber's bike appears to be a reference to the Italian publisher De Agostini, corrupted into De Agospeedy. (Cute.)
My guess for Bladez's bike is a portmanteau of liger ライガー and car カー. This would make it "Ride Gatlicar".
All the runes on the things (belt, books, sole of foot) are very stylized romanized Japanese (English characters) and can be translated. The sole of his foot reads "This leg/foot is a Rider Kick." Nice!
Last edited by VerusMaya II on Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Few notes

>SABER:
Kanji is 聖刃, with 聖 (sei) meaning "holy/sacred" and 刃 (ha) meaning "blade". Combined we get "seiba".

Also a pun on Saver

- Lion Senki (戦記 (senki) meaning "war history", possibly a double-nod reference to Heroic Legend of Arslan (アルスラーン戦記) and Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe (whose lion was named Aslan). "arslan" also means lion in Turkish)

I like translating Senki to Chronicles when possible

- Jack and the Beanstalk (obvious, but instead of the official ジャックと豆の木 they're using ジャッ君と土豆の木 Jackkun and the Beanstalk. They removed the -ku part of Jack and added -kun, and also threw in a 土 (do) "earth" before the beanstalk part which I'm unsure of the purpose of)

Maybe to give it an elemental affiliation? Not sure. Domame doesn't seem to even have like good google results in Japanese

- Lamp Do Alngina (I'd assume Aladdin, but unsure on how they corrupted the words here)

Japanese? Dunno since I haven't seen it myself

OTHER RIDERS:
- Blades or Bladez (ブレイズ), the water rider and our lion buddy.

I guess it'll be fixed by the time this comes out, but the katakana is also "Blaze" which was why my initial reaction to finding out he's a water rider was funny

ENEMIES:
>Their group, apparently including the traitor/evil Calibur, is called Megido or Megiddo.

Does anyone know if Megido is something?

>We've got Legiel (レジエル), a corruption of "legend". Zuosu (ズオス), a corruption of "zoo"? And Storius (ストリウス), a corruption of "story".

The Zuosu one stumps me. Maybe Zukan/Encyclopedia?

MISC:
>My guess for Bladez's bike is a portmanteau of liger ライガー and car カー. This would make it "Ride Gatlicar".

I put down Ride Gatri Car. I think the middle part is from Gatling + Trike, since it has three wheels
VerusMaya II
Humongous

Post by VerusMaya II »

takenoko wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:57 pm ENEMIES:
>Their group, apparently including the traitor/evil Calibur, is called Megido or Megiddo.

Does anyone know if Megido is something?
Well we've got Tel Megiddo, which is also the root for the word Armageddon (end of the world). Actually now that I've dug into this further I'm convinced it's meant to be "Megiddo", since the badies do indeed want to destroy and remake the world.
takenoko wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:57 pmMISC:
>My guess for Bladez's bike is a portmanteau of liger ライガー and car カー. This would make it "Ride Gatlicar".

I put down Ride Gatri Car. I think the middle part is from Gatling + Trike, since it has three wheels
Oh... trike. Yeah it's a triple portmanteau. That makes it even more difficult haha. Ride Gatliker?? Ugh. Hate this.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Ooh, good catch on Tel Megiddo

Are we sure the Tricar is Blades' personal vehicle? It doesn't seem very lion themed at all. Maybe it's just a generic vehicle for the other holy blades
Mighty Action X
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Quote: "Fast means going slowly without interruptions."
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Mighty Action X »

I love reading and I also write webnovels and fanfictions too so I can relate to Saber as he is a novelist. This KR is about reading and writing and the fantasy world of myths and fairy tales and I adore that. My only skepticism is that the head writer of this is also the former head writer of Ghost.
Ghost23
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Ghost23 »

I'm fine with the motif but just not feeling the design of the driver and parts of the costume. It just makes it more like something that should be in a sentai instead.
hiro9796
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: TOQger, Kamen Rider Zero One, Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger VS Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Agito, W, Zero One
Dreamy: Sinon (SAO), Megumin (Konosuba)
Favorite Actor?: Endo Aya, Shimono Hiro
Alignment: Lawful Good
Quote: Ah le le!

Now, count up your sins!

By the power vested in us by the Global Police, we will deal with you by force!

There's only one person who can stop you, me!
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by hiro9796 »

The driver looks like a combination of build driver with three slots with a ryusoul ken as the handle. The collectibles look rather bulky too. And as everyone pointed out, its weird a water theme rider is named after a term related to fire and burning. It could have ended up with a neutral sounding name similar to saber if he/she is multi elemental.
Zerato
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Drive
2nd Favorite Series: Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger
Favorite Band: Starset
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: The guy who will bring about the end of the world...unless you give me a sandwich.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Zerato »

As a long-time avid reader, I have high hopes for this series. As someone who has seen Ghost, I'm nervous about this series. This is going to be an interesting year.
KR
Seen: Kuuga, Agito, 555-Ex-Aid; Amazons
Dropped: Build, Saber
Now: Ryuki, Gotchard
Fave: Drive

SS
Seen: Jetman, Dekaranger, Boukenger-Zyuohger; Akibaranger
Dropped:: Kyuranger, Kiramager
Now: King-Ohger
Fave: Kyoryuger
decade368990
Train man
Favorite series: Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: W
Dreamy: Osaki Ichika and Kudo Mio
Quote: Grow a spine, J.A.R.V.I.S. I got a date. -- Tony Stark

Post by decade368990 »

takenoko wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:17 am I guess De Agostini Publisher must be a big deal, but my ignorant American self has never heard of them. Does anyone else know them, or is this just a weird pull from Toei?
If you're mentioning De Agostini, then you're probably referring these links?

https://deagostini.jp/kpf/

https://deagostini.jp/site/kpf/pretop/#series

https://deagostini.jp/backnumber/key_se ... code[]=KPF
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

Random question: does anyone know who the lady was in the background of the henshin scene? She looks familiar.
Kamen Rider Blade
Go Go!
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Type: ENTJ Fieldmarshal

Post by Kamen Rider Blade »

Kamen Rider Bladez is gonna be confusing as all getup.

I hope Kamen Rider Blade gets to make some helpful cameos =D
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

resop2 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:13 am Random question: does anyone know who the lady was in the background of the henshin scene? She looks familiar.
I'm guessing that's Mei?
https://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Kamen_Rid ... Characters

Oh crap, it's by the guy who wrote Ghost? I mean, the trailer doesn't have a lot of dialogue, but the stuff that was there was a bit eye rolly...

Return to “Kamen Rider Saber”