My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Saber 02 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last Week's rating: 3.24 /5 stars (42 votes)

Fan Sub-title: Maybe Nagare can save us all

Have to say, I enjoyed this episode quite a bit more than I was expecting. I think the CGI still looks very cheap, but I enjoy a cool vehicle section, especially if it's done well (even if it does come off as video gamey)

The use of the powers and different books are pretty fun too. I'm liking Touma more for his ability to use his imagination and it's cute that it impresses Nagare, the more veteran swordsman

Meanwhile, I'm really liking Nagare for being a character to ground Touma and Mei. I like his stiff knightly attitude and that he's literally just book smart. God Toei, why don't you make a show about knights and have them act like knights, what a concept!

Worst part was the cheap looking chest and cape for Blades. I think the concept is good, but there's something cheap looking about the material used for Blades and Saber's armor this year

I'm hoping to learn more about the villains sooner than later, considering how many of them there are. As we've seen, the villains will make or break a show

Edit: Also the opening sequence is pretty nice

4 / 5 stars, show's starting to show some promise
VerusMaya II
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Mebius, Lupinranger vs Patranger, Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Ryukendo
Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo
Type: INFP Healer

Re: KR Saber 02 released

Post by VerusMaya II »

I love the opening!! Though some part of me thinks the OP and ED songs should be switched. The ED feels more "get hype" and the OP more somber.

Rintarou is a cutie and I wanna pinch his dumb little cheeks when he does his C: face.

The music around 7:30 sounds like Zelda's Song of Storms!

I don't totally dislike Blade's suit, but not in love with it either. It's really top-heavy. The suits have the shiny undersuit, matte black parts, and then shiny colored parts. I think it's just the lack of texture on the top colored plastic/fiberglass that makes it look cheap? (The Zoids lion is cute tho :3)

The bike scene was.... not awful! CG looked alright, interspersed as it was with scenes of the actual suits and bike. The "sliding under the truck" bit made me cringe but I suppose a kid would think that was the coolest shit. I think the boon of having CG scenes like this is that it allows them to expand the world. To some extent this truly did feel like an epic adventure to save a part of the city.

Rider kick piercing the monster through book pages was dope af.

Why do people keep barging into Touma's place! So rude!
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

In "The Ant(s) and the Grasshopper" the ants worked hard all summer while the grasshopper played and sang but then the ants were fine during the winter while the grasshopper went hungry. It's a parable to teach children that you shouldn't put off hard work because it will help you in the future. So where the FUCK were they getting shit about the grasshopper protecting the ants and then the queen making more ants and the queen glowing? Did we read different books? Were they in fact watching a bootleg A Bug's Life? For a show about loving books, they certainly don't know much about them.

The episode wasn't bad, but it sure was a plot dump. Not thrilled with everything happening so far, reminds me far too much of Ghost and I hated translating that series.

Raise hands everyone who wants to punch that fucking narrator.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

I see they're getting around the problem of filming bike scenes by just borrowing cutscenes from the Saber PS2 game.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

Those video game cutscenes are at the very least PS3 worthy!

More very standard early episode stuff with a lot of near-mindless action as we're very slowly introduced to the basic concepts of the premise. That said, I found it pretty entertaining! Between the idealistic hero and the overeager civilian, and now the polite yet awkward fellow from another world, I can already see the fun dynamic that our current three leads will settle into from here on out. The guy who comes in on a carpet in the end, I immediately get the sense that this is going to be the 'cool but antagonistic' one.

I still don't really have any strong opinion on either Saber's or Blades' designs, but I do like how it looks like their form changes are like Build or OOO in that it's just exchanging sections of the suits, making for a subtler change of design than usual. I like these because it makes the big important upgrades later that change up the whole suit feel that much more special.
Dante ShadowRoadz
7X

Post by Dante ShadowRoadz »

I liked it better than the premiere episode, though that narrator is getting grating already. The motivation is still a bit of an issue with Touma since he hasn't actually connected anything personal to the cause, he's just doing the noble good-guy thing which is fine only a few episodes in, but I hope they actually give him some stakes soon. Rintarou seems like he's going to merely be the straight man for the other two's antics, hopefully they give him a bit more than just that to work with. Mei wasn't nearly as annoying this time but I get the feeling they're going to push her tag-along nature further rather than rein it in.

The OP and ED definitely make this feel more like a Sentai than a Kamen Rider season, though hopefully it won't lean too heavily into it the way Ghost did. The animal spirits out of the books seem a bit too on the cartoony end of things, I'm getting Go-Onger/Toquger vibes from the design aesthetics of them and the suits, especially the big googly eyes and plastic-y material of them. The concept of making half-form power-ups again like with Double could be an interesting combination, let's just hope they don't blaze through a whole catalogue of them to get to the super form as quickly as they did with Zero One.
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Kiriko
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Yakuza Video Games
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Kurokage X »

Well, this episode definitely beat the first one.

Rintaro's sold on me. I like his polite but awkward mannerism to how to interact with the modern world. Still not getting a feeling with Touma. Kinda annoyed with Mei but not as much compared to before. I know the narrator is suppose to be there because this series is about books and we need a narrator but boy, some part of me know it's gonna get annoying. Hope the bad guy boy band and Calibur get out of wherever they are at some point and stretch their muscles, I'd be a bit bored just sitting and watching somebody's high school project write a book to conquer the world.

I like how the power set is used for this one. You're either gonna use the mcguffins of the year for an attack via scanning or change a third of your main rider form. And the bikes, wonder how long until those get obsolete along with this book corrupting the world thing, unless the CG budget is high enough that it'll be no problem to last for the whole year.

The bad would be the plot dumping. And this series is really trying to be like sentai, or an RPG game if we're gonna get even more riders. All that's missing is the giant robot fights

4/5, hoping to see more good from this series though some part of me kinda doubt it'll keep up
Currently Watching
Super Sentai: Kiramager
Kamen Rider: Saber
Ultraman: Z

Finished Watching
Super Sentai: Go Onger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger Onward
Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Kabuto, Kiva, Fourze Onward
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, X, Orb-R/B
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Still not really doing anything for me. I guess Blades being a goober rather than super serious is unique characterisation. I stand by the fact that his Rider form looks dumb though.
Aeikozz
Faiz
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K

Post by Aeikozz »

i think i've said this before. but sometimes. Opening song to a Kamen Rider can attempt to plead with the viewers to give it a chance. After this episode. i'll probably continue to watch it for now. The song isn't the best and so far it's kinda redeem it self from the shitshow that was the first episode.

Although truthfully i'm probably being crueler to it than i need to be because of that shit zero one ending. ;_;..... Aight Saber let's see what you got this year.
Icingdeth
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: Gundam, Tokusatsu
Quote: One does not care to acknowledge the mistakes of one's youth. ~ Char Aznable
Type: INTP Architect

Post by Icingdeth »

Not gonna lie I kinda like Rintaro but his suit design is way too anime. The CGI isn't absolutely terrible but it isn't great either just hope that they either detail it up or replace it with more real footage down the line.

Cannot stand the narrator already as he seems to be completely useless. At least Woz was entertaining and had an active role in the show proper.
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

So, Touma is Red, Rintauro is Blue, Buster will probably be Green, and Mei will be Pink. I think they will introduce a second female lead to be Yellow.

The CGI Sentai GameEngine-ers?

The plot was forgettable, but the thing that stuck with me was that Blue has a weakness for pastries.

If they do have a crossover this year with Kiramagers then everyone can do the ending dances together.
darkarmorwearer
Gao
Favorite series: Hibiki
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Yu Takahashi
Favorite Actor?: Cleavant Derricks
Favorite Band: REM
My boom: Tokusatsu Gagaga
Quote: Long, long ago! 20th century!
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by darkarmorwearer »

Siiiigh... I was soooo up for giving the season a chance. They lost me in this second episode. I just want a stripped down rider with a good storyline. Will we ever get a Kuuga, Hibiki, or Faiz ever again? I totally wish Mei would become a rider, but I doubt that will happen. SIIIIIGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH........ It's all flash and colors. Are there any companies making indie toku that anyone knows of? Shows or movies? I'd love a mini series like Sh15uya again.
darkarmorwearer
Gao
Favorite series: Hibiki
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Yu Takahashi
Favorite Actor?: Cleavant Derricks
Favorite Band: REM
My boom: Tokusatsu Gagaga
Quote: Long, long ago! 20th century!
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by darkarmorwearer »

P.S. I wish Keita Amemiya would do something other than Garo. Zeram 3?????
dryedmangoez
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by dryedmangoez »

Definitely better than the first episode.
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

omg the intro guy just ... NO.
I am curious about the yellow guy in the intro, like is it the girl? Mei? meh ...

so since this is my first KR am i correct in assuming, with KR (from sentai crossovers) that Kr are part of larger organizations but fight more or less solo? and im guessing too that unlike Sentai they dont cheesily wear their respective color or the same outfit daily? or am i wrong?

really enjoyed the episode, but felt like Rintarou gave up on collecting the book a bit too quickly since they are missing and needing to get back those wonder ride books, id have thought he'd have been more aggressive about taking it back from touma. then he just suddenly takes him to their base, and their leader more or less, welcomes him on board? like that changed so quickly! while the series is about loving books, notice the books are different named. while the ant and grasshopper IS about working hard, perhaps in their world the tale is different? just for legal reasons. remember it was "Peter Fantasia" on the other book. so when they mention a book or story itll likely have elements from that book, but, will be different that what we know.

kinda interesting how only half the costume changes ala Ryusoulger. but their powers leave so much to question, like what does volume 2 do? is it an attack? a new form? will there be a 3? im so intrigued! and what happens if they share a books?

Return to “Kamen Rider Saber”