Kiramager Episode 26 released

MagiRanger Deux
Forum rules

Kiramager Wiki Link

< Ryusoul | Mashin Sentai Kiramager | Zenkai >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:49 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
56%
☆☆☆☆
44%
☆☆☆
No votes
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 9
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Kiramager Episode 26 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last Kiramager's rating: 4.56 / 5 stars (16 votes)

Alt Title: Power up

New villain, new power up!

I had to laugh when the A plot and B plot came together with the lesson "don't use too much power or you'll melt into mud". When I was watching the episode, I wrote in chat "kids, learn your place and don't surpass your limits"

More evidence that Jyuuru is on the spectrum, he sees that Mabushiina has been crying and reacts by going "Great, I can use these"

Noticed that Yodonna's shoulder pads are ducks, because there's literal quacking sound effects whenever she's on screen. Not that I'm against it, but why ducks?

Silver's quip "Goodbye Triangle, Welcome Silver" is a reference to this children's song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opqb2nQAySA

So excited for next week! More Kuwae Sakina in Garo please
ImageImage
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Re: Kiramager Episode 26 released

Post by Phoenix512 »

First Saber is more like a Sentai but we have Kira becoming more like Garo. First it was Garo cast members and now concepts with the 100 second timer (it's real close to 99.9). I'm a bit surprised that Tamatoto didn't get to kill the last Bomb Jaken before the timer expired. I guess the writer wanted to show off the power of friendship with Silver getting the final blow.

Preview:
Spoiler
So Kira and Geki are the same universe after all. It's nice to see Miki again and didn't realize that Natsume was Ryume from Garo.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I really liked this episode. Kira works well because of the good balance of leaning into and subverting classical Sentai cliches.

If this was any other show, the lesson would be 'Break your limits and go beyond', but our hero finds a way to subvert the lethal side effects of the power up. It's great and I love it.

I was also not really sold on Takamichi for a while and have been slowly warming to him. This episode did it for me. Just waiting for the bowling maskman doing the splits between the tree and one shotting him was fantastic.
Mighty Action X
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: "Fast means going slowly without interruptions."
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Mighty Action X »

The power up is actually better than how it is seen in the scans.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Only thing I'm not a fan of is them sharing the weapon. But I doubt they'll have another scene where all 5 of them do it like in this episode.
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

A really solid conclusion to the previous episode's cliffhanger in my book. The big new power-up is certainly no SWAT Mode or Magilegend, but it's just really nice to see everyone on the team being all sparkly together. It's maybe a 'standard' power-up episode all in all, but Kiramager has been consistently good at giving off a really fun and fresh energy that makes plots that I've seen a hundred times still plenty exciting.
Catastrophe wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:56 pm If this was any other show, the lesson would be 'Break your limits and go beyond', but our hero finds a way to subvert the lethal side effects of the power up. It's great and I love it.
It's especially funny since Koh from just the very previous series talked about breaking your limits every chance he got. The Kiramagers would tell him that's not a good mindset!
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT

Post by Catastrophe »

Koh had to continually attempt to break his and his teams limits because Bamba was the only competent Ryusoulger.

The Kiramagers don't have that issue!
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

So the new shiny suits for the Kiramagers are made of negative ki and if they wear them for more than 100 seconds the negative ki will start turning them into Horrors?

What's next? Will the next installment of Garo have one of the Knight's able to grow to be 100 feet tall? Will the next installment of Ultraman feature heroes who ride motorcycles?

Good writing, good continuity, and good action. Kiramagers is definitely winning the Super Sentai war with the Logosgers.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

The writing in this episode was still kind of weak, but since this was a two-parter I wasn't really expecting much of a change from the previous episode. So in a roundabout way, this episode was at least consistent.

Everything involving Tametomo is still kind of cringey. I get what they're going for in trying to set up a rivalry between Yodonna and one of the Kiramagers (since Red already has Garuza), but it's still kind of built on an uneven foundation. That said, the episode was better for not being focused on him crushing on her, but rather her mocking of him, so baby steps.

I thought the idea of limits was also handled in a less-than-clear way towards the start - it just looks like of absurd when Silver wins after getting his ass kicked for the last 5 minutes - but I appreciate where they were going. Kiramager has made a name for itself in subversive morals of the day, and "kids, learn your place and don't surpass your limits" is pretty damn subversive.:lol:

Meanwhile, we finally get our first all-team power-up in what, a decade? It's not especially good looking, but it will do. The 100 second limit is an interesting twist that, hopefully, means the writers have nailed down a way to explain why the power-up doesn't get spammed at every opportunity (a regular Sentai plot hole). It reminds me a bit of KR Ex-Aid's invincibility power-up, but I'm assuming that Jewel won't somehow end up the chosen one that can use it forever.

The Go Ranger homage with that power-up is significant. Almost to a confusing degree. This isn't an anniversary season, so I'm not sure what on earth they're celebrating here. In the meantime, Bandai really wants to sell a toy bow this year, don't they? :lol:

I'm surprised there's no mecha power-up or change to go with the team power-up, since that's how things normally go with Sentai. But maybe that will come later? We're still owed Titan #4, IIRC.

As for Yodonna, her character still needs a bit of work. But man am I happy to finally have a face villain.

Finally, wouldn't Yodonna's plan have been ruined the moment the Rangers defeated any one of the Bomb Jamen? Since the portal required 5 bombs in specific locations, in principle 4 would not have been enough. So defeating the rest of the Jamen was somewhat superfluous. Also, I wanted more bomb bowling.:(
takenoko wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:48 am More evidence that Jyuuru is on the spectrum, he sees that Mabushiina has been crying and reacts by going "Great, I can use these"
Huh. I never thought about that before. You just might be right! :lol:
Noticed that Yodonna's shoulder pads are ducks, because there's literal quacking sound effects whenever she's on screen. Not that I'm against it, but why ducks?
The Yodom theme is stagnant water, right? Water and ducks makes some kind of sense, but I'm at a loss for how it ties into stagnant water specifically. Though are we sure those aren't crows?
Catastrophe wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:26 am Only thing I'm not a fan of is them sharing the weapon. But I doubt they'll have another scene where all 5 of them do it like in this episode.
I'm also not a huge fan of sharing a single weapon. But at the same time, I hope they don't forget that this is an all-team power-up? After years and years of having the entire team share a single power-up, I'm going to be disappointed if we immediately go back to that.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

>Meanwhile, we finally get our first all-team power-up in what, a decade?

Has it been that long???

>As for Yodonna, her character still needs a bit of work. But man am I happy to finally have a face villain.

I kind of like her unhinged laughter, it's just weird enough that it works for me
takenoko wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:48 am More evidence that Jyuuru is on the spectrum, he sees that Mabushiina has been crying and reacts by going "Great, I can use these"
Huh. I never thought about that before. You just might be right! :lol:

I really feel like they're setting him up that way. In a way it's nice because it's subtle and while not explicit, it's there if you know what signs to look out for. I wonder if any of the staff have spoken about it
The Yodom theme is stagnant water, right? Water and ducks makes some kind of sense, but I'm at a loss for how it ties into stagnant water specifically. Though are we sure those aren't crows?

I dunno, aren't they orangey? I think they just like them because they like the sound effect that goes along with it.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:30 am >Meanwhile, we finally get our first all-team power-up in what, a decade?

Has it been that long???
I just went back and counted to be sure. We haven't had anything resembling an all-team power-up since Go-Busters 8 years ago, and that still excluded two characters.
I dunno, aren't they orangey? I think they just like them because they like the sound effect that goes along with it.
Well they're silver and gold(ish), but I'd attribute that more to style than trying to use color to indicate the type of bird. Instead, I'd suggest looking more at the beaks; a long, hooked beak is not common in ducks.
windfall
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Gekiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by windfall »

ViRGE wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:39 am
I thought the idea of limits was also handled in a less-than-clear way towards the start - it just looks like of absurd when Silver wins after getting his ass kicked for the last 5 minutes - but I appreciate where they were going. Kiramager has made a name for itself in subversive morals of the day, and "kids, learn your place and don't surpass your limits" is pretty damn subversive.:lol:
I think the overall message that they're sending is to be realistic. Hurting yourself by going beyond limitations is a reasonable concern and unlike the BNHA characters we don't heal as well as they do.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT

Post by Catastrophe »

It's also nice because it bucks to usual Shonen style trend of 'Always go beyond'

It's one of the reasons Kiramager jives with me.
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

all past sentai: "we'll beat you by surpassing our limits!"
Kira: "well beat you by respecting our limits!"
i remember an adage about boundaries are more freeing that a blank slate, but that pretained to writers block i think but maybe it applies here too? granted the 100 sec limit DOES add some suspense.
Farr
7X
Favorite series: Blade / Deka
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim~W / Shinken
Dreamy: Umeko / Hana
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Farr »

windfall wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:58 am I think the overall message that they're sending is to be realistic. Hurting yourself by going beyond limitations is a reasonable concern and unlike the BNHA characters we don't heal as well as they do.
I agree, I mean it's not really what Olladdin said, but I like the final Message better,
"Go beyond, but make sure you don't overdo it, and take care of yourself."

But yeah i agree, the Weapon sharing is a bit weird, it's like a double limit, but at least it's a Team based Power-up which makes more Sense, in Terms of how it was created, a "The Monstone couldn't handle it, but I'm Red so I can go full Ballista." would really felt wrong, especially since it doesn't feel like a to much red centered Sentai, sure he has to Gizmo-up all the Gadgets, but still feels pretty balanced.

I'm not really a Fan of how the Power-up is designed thou, but with all what has been going on in 2020, and in general Kira feeling like a rather budgedy Sentai it's good enough.

Also can we appreciate the Move Sena made in Ep25 at around 19:30? that looked great :mrgreen:

As for 26, I kinda liked the Irony of Sena supercharging past the bad Guy, missing several Bow Shots being like 'shrug', and then comes Jyr...Red and defeats his Bomber with an Arrow Rain, that surely missed quite a bit more :lol:

Return to “Mashin Sentai Kiramager”