My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Saber 06 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Episode 4's ratings: 4.32 /5 stars (19 votes)
Last Week's rating: 3.88 /5 stars (17 votes)

Fan Sub-title: Green ninja doesn't even have toy cms yet, calm down with the new rider intros

I don't feel like I can generate an opinion. Did we have 3+ storylines going on this time? It's too busy and I don't think we're spending enough time with any particular group

When did Rintarou+Mei become a thing? Mei looked nice this time, but was otherwise completely superfluous. Rintarou seems like he has a neat little substory going on, but the gravity of it feels completely at odd with the oddball green guy who was introduced

2/5 stars it's a mess, and the green guy seems annoying
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: KR Saber 06 released

Post by Lunagel »

*yawn*

Green dude has one setting and it is "annoyingly loud". Can't manage to muster any interest in him.

I think it's getting close to the time when we admit that bringing on the Ghost guy was indeed a bad idea.
VerusMaya II
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Mebius, Lupinranger vs Patranger, Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Ryukendo
Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo
Type: INFP Healer

Post by VerusMaya II »

There was really only 2 storylines going on here. Touma, Kento, Ren, and Daishinji dealing with remnants from last week and trying to fix Touma's sealed sword. Meanwhile, Mei and Rintarou are chasing after Zoous after running into him last week as well.

Ren being the annoying little brother type seems right to me, he definitely looks the part. It's actually kinda cute how Touma manages him, even getting his own poking fun jab in. I expect he'll be kicked down and realize his strength is a sham, and have to build himself back up honestly. His dual swords combining into a giant shuriken is really cool... And his finishing move being a scroll instead of a traditional book!

I'm weak for the hero's power being taken away, one of my favorite tropes. But it's nice to see instead of trying to fight without his powers, or angst about it, Touma goes straight to researching and learning.

Rintarou gets wrecked and mocked, and then decides to do some training in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber I guess.

Starting to see less full-screen CG transformations and more instant in-action ones. Knew that'd be the case... Not sure why people are so jumpy about this season, assuming the worst. I've been enjoying it well enough so far - every ep is getting better compared to the last. Not the cleanest or most coherent Rider, but it's doing well enough.
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

Nope, I’m done. I wasn’t feeling it after last week’s episode, but this week was a total dumpster fire. The characters are obnoxious, the weapon jingles are exhausting, and the story seems to be taking the approach of throwing everyone and everything at the wall (with little to no explanation) and hoping something sticks. I think the only thing I like about this series is the opening theme song. The pen is indeed mightier than the sword - it’s just a pity the writer(s) didn’t use theirs to create a decent story.

See you in 2021, Kamen Rider.
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

Given the nature of their merchandise and how hard their debuts drive home their one big personality trait/gimmick, Buster and Kenzan feel by far the most expendable characters to me, or at the very least have the highest chance of just getting shuffled off to the side later on. I'd say it's a given, but Zi-O and Zero One both proved that sometimes even the most sensible of narrative decisions don't always play out in these shows that can never take a break.

Anyhow, Ren comes across really unnatural in his battle-loving attitude, which is sadly not new for characters on this show! I assume the obvious route for the character is that he'll be forcibly humbled eventually. I liked Kenzan's fight with Desast though! It felt like the thing that got the most fanfare in this episode, which felt weird because Kenzan's first transformation didn't do the usual big fancy CG background effect. ...Also weird is that Espada's Lamp Hedgehog form, his Ikazuchi Volume 2 form, didn't even get it's entire speech played... or did anything other than the finisher.

That weirdness aside (and now to even more weirdness), the rest is just set-up for the next episode. Touma will be heading off towards who-knows-where to get his power back, and Rintarou's is off to get revenge for his master again. I'm not expecting a lot out of either of these plot threads, since I get the feeling they'll both be resolved within one or two episodes, but eeeeeh, should be fun?

As of this point in this show, I've kinda settled for Saber just being kind of brainless action and effects first and foremost. I thought the same for Zi-O for a while too, so not saying this can't change, but I'm down to just treat this show as a twenty-minute popcorn break every week for now.
Mighty Action X
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Quote: "Fast means going slowly without interruptions."
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Mighty Action X »

I want to punch that Green Rider in the face.
PDA
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by PDA »

PHurricane wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:13 am Nope, I’m done. I wasn’t feeling it after last week’s episode, but this week was a total dumpster fire. The characters are obnoxious, the weapon jingles are exhausting, and the story seems to be taking the approach of throwing everyone and everything at the wall (with little to no explanation) and hoping something sticks. I think the only thing I like about this series is the opening theme song. The pen is indeed mightier than the sword - it’s just a pity the writer(s) didn’t use theirs to create a decent story.

See you in 2021, Kamen Rider.
i really admit that i had lots of concerns and pre conceptions about saber from same guy who wrote ghost, right now i dont started to watch series and on youtube i just saw some stupid finishers like crazy fairy exploding on enemy, paper pigs and something from blue rider. i really dont liked nothing so far but at least i try read other people comments here to try develop some courage to watch saber but as you wrote...see you in 2021, kamen rider.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Awww. I get that the story and characters are a mess right now, but I'm hoping things will calm down after the Christmas series arc
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Because I've been deleting these as I finish watching them rather than archiving them, I can't go back and check, but didn't Blades see the Medigo guy transform and fight the other monster in some alleyway in town and now their out in the countryside somewhere? The between episode continuity the last two episodes has been strange.

I have to agree with the sentiments of others that there seems to be a bit much going on this episode. Blades current thing seems tacked on compared to what else is going on. Ninja dude is annoying AF.
FangTrigger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: OOO
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Kamen Rider Sentai
Quote: Impossible is nothing.....Master everything!

Post by FangTrigger »

I haven't watched the episode, I just need context for the front page picture. Is that Abs-Busting Taro standing alongside the Babymetal Tinkerbell?
Tokyo
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dengeki Sentai Changeman
2nd Favorite Series: Juspion
Dreamy: Kiramei Pink (Kiramager)
My boom: The official, yet 100% Brazilian, Juspion manga that came out.

Post by Tokyo »

Gosh... what a messy scritp! They had another character introduced without having any real introduction! And we finally get to see the hairy guy being important in the plot, but again... no introduction to that guy!
The sword get's stuck in the belt and they simply realize that they have to go somewhere to do something! WTF was that??? No explanation or reason for any single important plot point! And, of course, we have the blue guy deciding to avenge his master. The trope is good, but with so much happening at the same time, and with an extraordinary over-speeded pace to the story, we don't even have time to be emotionally attached to that situation.

Characters popping up left and right without no introduction at all! Plot lines out of nowhere, with also no introduction, built action or explanation. The pace is at light speed right now, and we're just at episode 6!!!
My gosh... how I miss Zero-One!
Mighty Action X
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate

Actually, if they're aiming for a very busy Kamen Rider plot from start to finish, I'm okay with it.

It's actually a fresh approach if you think about it.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

What? Being absolutely incoherent by design?
Mighty Action X
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate

Catastrophe wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:27 am What? Being absolutely incoherent by design?
It's messy okay but I won't proceed to call it incoherent because it's not.
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Kiriko
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Yakuza Video Games
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Kurokage X »

Too much happening at once compared to other episodes.

Not a fan of the green guy. I get he's like a kid who thinks strength is justice but god damn I can't help but feel annoyed by him. Not exactly sure what makes him so fascinated with Kento but I don't expect too much. Seems clear he'll end up being humbled by the end but ehh. His suit, ehh. Oh yeah and Kento used two books but who cares.

Touma's blade is stuck so lets go to somewhere else to fix it. K. So we get to know a little more about the blacksmith so there's some interest.

So Rintaro's beef with the no sleeves guy is he killed his master. I do find it neat how it kinda shows that the two are the animal men of their groups so they can have some sense of rivalry, but that can't stop me from feeling like I should care more but thanks to everything else, I can't.

2/5 god what the hell happened to pacing. I know it's messy since we're in the first quarter of the show but even by that standards, this feels like it's going all over the place. At least it's not overusing the CG henshin sequences so that's why my score is a little higher
Currently Watching
Super Sentai: Kiramager
Kamen Rider: Saber
Ultraman: Z

Finished Watching
Super Sentai: Go Onger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger Onward
Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Kabuto, Kiva, Fourze Onward
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, X, Orb-R/B

Return to “Kamen Rider Saber”