My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Saber 10 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last Week's rating: 3.44 /5 stars (16 votes)

Fan Sub-title: Go Go Primary Rangers

It took 10 episodes, but dare I say that one was pretty good? Totally called the twist, with all the heavy-handed hinting, but it didn't matter. I wanted to see this moment happen. And while I think Kento is still super boring, it's nice to see him feel conflicted, and in turn, it adds some strain and nuance to his and Touma's relationship

I have in my notes that Touma having the three make the vow this episode was probably the most I've liked him in this series so far. Funnily enough, Touma saying he's a man that keeps his promise in episode one is the other big moment

From the notes: What a crazy looking face from Kaidou. You know, I think he'll do a good job portraying a crazed swordsman

But yeah, I think this is the best Saber episode so far. It's very focused. (Sorry Buster and Ren!) It's more or less just a big fight scene, but it's good stuff. Koichi keeps it exciting without going over the top. Love the look of the three Wonder Combos side by side

It feels dumb that Storius comes in and does the big explosion, instead of Calibur and the three musketeers just smashing into each other instead

I hope the payoff with Touma, Kento, and the girl has a good payoff. Maybe the girl is the mysterious woman. Who knows? It's not a great mystery, but at least it feels like there's some stakes

5/5 stars, probably as good as Saber will get

Edit: Also, wtf Southern Base? More Swordsmen? Are you serious? There's already three Swordsmen too man (sorry Buster, Ren, and Slash, you guys are okayish)
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: KR Saber 10 released

Post by Catastrophe »

I'm a bit sick of the fake our evil transformed character with the modulated voice. Yeah, it wasn't the dad in this case, but apparently the dad was still a traitor?
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

Can i just say ill be super happy is the narrator is the final foe? his creepy ass needs to be taken out via Rider Kick. lol if the creepy narrator is actually Kento's dad.
They hyped up the arther book, but now theyre kinda saying that "match 3 like colors is ultimate form rider!" and the arthur book is just ... forgotten.
I liked the Twist that its, my guess, Touma's dad is the traitor or at least guy with the dark blade. also, not looking like they will be obvious with the blade of light being the opposite to the dark blade but rather Fire is. although fire does give off light.
I kind of feel like we've been missing Touma getting memories back? i mean i know theyve shown him have flash backs and they were him getting memories back, but, was it after every fight? i guess they off camera'd that for the most part?
finally the giant book being made ... it look ridiculous.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I think the part that annoyed me about the memory scene is that while Touma just realised the other kid was Kento, Kento already told him in the 3rd or 4th episode they were childhood friends. Nothing ever really expanded on, but WE already knew that the other kid with Touma and the girl was Kento, so the reveal kind of falls flat.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, I was totally going to say that. Was the boy being Kento ever a mystery? He already knew they were childhood friends. It's just dumb to treat that as a big reveal. Damn, Touma, how does your amnesia even work anyway

I just hate Kento as he's set up, since it's all done through exposition. We're told he and Touma are best friends and that they used to have fun times as kids. But on screen, he's just some asshole that shows up 3-4 episodes in and says they're best friends. Just ignore the fact that they haven't seen each other in like 15 years and that Kento comes in on a flying carpet. Kento feels less like a friend and more a walking, pondering, expositioning plot device to Touma's ill-conceived secret past

It's a Rider show. So obviously the mysterious girl is going to turn out to be Touma's sister or something platonic like that

Touma frankly has a better relationship with Rintarou who's relatively a stranger to him
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT

Post by Catastrophe »

Also, Kento switches from being everyones best friend to angsting out and fighting Calibur.
TheNinjaDragon
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TheNinjaDragon »

Sounds like Saber's still falling deeper into the rabbit hole. 😝
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

I am still mostly neutral on Calibur even after this episode. Before now, he's just been a stoic swordsman who betrayed the heroes in the past for mysterious reasons, and now... he is still just that, but at least now he has a human face and name to him. I don't need him to start acting crazy like Genm or anything, but I really would like for him to display more personality sooner rather than later. Also, Buster and Kenzan are nowhere to be seen, but honestly I'm glad that at this pointm the show doesn't feel the need to shoehorn the extras into every episode if they're not needed.

The big action scene is a lot of fun though, and appropriately feels like a milestone with our main trio of Riders working together at full power. Of course, this will just make the inevitable drama of them going against each other all the more tense. Kento is definitely gonna come to blows with the other two at some point.
BlazeKing20
I am not a number. I am an individual!
I am not a number. I am an individual!
Favorite series: Kyoruger
2nd Favorite Series: Zero one
Favorite Actor?: Chris Evans
Favorite Band: Neffex
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by BlazeKing20 »

Personally I really enjoyed this episode. It feels like saber is finally getting somewhere story wise.
Zerato
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Drive
2nd Favorite Series: Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger
Favorite Band: Starset
Quote: The guy who will bring about the end of the world...unless you give me a sandwich.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Zerato »

It kinda makes sense that this episode was a high point. Typically, new seasons of KR flounder for a while before finally getting stable footing around Christmas. I won't hold my breath, but I won't be surprised if things start looking upwards from here. Also, the 3 Wonder Combos look amazing together. Which is why it's going to suck when we stop seeing them in about 10 episodes.
KR
Seen: Kuuga, Agito, 555-Ex-Aid; Amazons
Dropped: Build, Saber
Now: Ryuki, Gotchard
Fave: Drive

SS
Seen: Jetman, Dekaranger, Boukenger-Zyuohger; Akibaranger
Dropped:: Kyuranger, Kiramager
Now: King-Ohger
Fave: Kyoryuger
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele

Post by Ashki »

This one only got a 4/5 out of me.

The action scenes were good, the mysterious lady obviously knows far more than she's letting on (a lot of lovely ladies this season to counter the annual sausage fest FINALLY), and we're starting to see Toma acting a bit more professional. Well, until the end...

That end is what dropped a huge point for me. As mentioned, we ALL knew (Toma included) that Kento and he were childhood friends, and while he may not have known Kento also knew the girl, the way they present it is just too shoddy, even for a kid's show. The "big reveal" wasn't at all surprising, although I was hoping it would be someone new or SwordGreen's sensei. Oh well. And finally, Toma going off on Kento like that was out of character and pretty much breaking his own promise. What happened to "You don't have to tell us" and "Your troubles are part of our story"? No wonder Kento stormed off.

It's certainly looking like Tassel is going to be the big villain. The "him" at the end is almost certainly the hooded figure in Budget-alon, as Tassel always emphasises "him" when referring to that guy. So it makes me wonder what connection they have.

Also, there's a certain clash between Toma and Tassel. Tassel is a storyteller, a role traditionally passed down from person to person to preserve stories. Toma is a writer, a role in which stories are committed to a physical medium to preserve them. It kind of makes Tassel's disturbingly erotic reactions to Toma even more disturbing, but at the same time, a storyteller trapped in a storybook land could have been banished there by the original swordsmen and is so interested in the story because Calibur may actually know who he really is and is trying to gain the ultimate power to seal Tassel away for good... but our heroes are on the path to releasing him. And Toma, who represents the antithesis of a storyteller is the one who'll open the door so Tassel can destroy the Book and all other books that came from it.

Of course, this will never happen, but one can dream...
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop
Dante ShadowRoadz
7X

Post by Dante ShadowRoadz »

I'm mixed on this one. Granted it was a step up from all the previous episodes, it still carried their baggage, so to speak. King of Arthur was hyped up blatantly and yet it now has the shortest lifespan of any power-up ever, even faster than Shining Hopper in Zero One. None of these upgrades even feel meaningful honestly, they don't give them any significant new abilities or tailor them to different fighting styles like other Rider Forms have tended to, they just ramp up the power meter to the next notch. The fight against Calibur with all three of them in maxed forms was filmed to seem dramatic and awesome, but none of it feels earned.

The twist with Calibur is laughably bad, further cementing this season coming off as being short-changed for proper production value and/or being aimed at a younger demographic who needs all the exposition handed to them. The back and forth with Touma and Kento being 'friends' and 'at odds' is pretty painful to see, and as others have said, Touma's selective amnesia is pretty much just a plot-hole unto itself now. The only real sense of mystery left is what the Meggido are aiming for with helping Calibur achieve his own goals, and perhaps the issue with the girl who vanished when Touma and Kento were kids.

The bit with Tassel suddenly seeming dramatic and dropping actual lore hints... I'm not even sure what to make of it now. He's been annoyingly out of place for nine straight episodes, deciding to do something plot relevant with him now seems like they're trying to justify their flub of having him in the first place.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT

Post by Catastrophe »

Having a quirky narrator that shows up and foreshadowing he's going to be evil just seems really ham fisted to be honest.
msf232
Faiz
Dreamy: 민지여신
Favorite Band: Dreamcatcher
My boom: Nothing definite, changes from time to time
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by msf232 »

That was Yua Shinkawa in the first commercial? Didn't look like her at all!

Or maybe I just forgot how she looks like
Finished:
Dairanger, Shinkenger, Kyoryuger–キングオージャー
Kuuga–Geats
Nexus, R/B
Ryukendo, Rescue Force
スパイダーマン
CH THE LIVE
Akibaranger, Akiba S痛
Wakusaver S2, Jyuukaizar
CPH GandD
takenoko