My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Saber 18 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last Week's rating: 3.87 /5 stars (15 votes)

Fan Sub-title: More fighting between Touma and his friends please

Nice mask Tassel

/me wonders if Touma is such an irresponsible bookshop owner to have a dragon that breathes real fire around kids

What is this roof tthat they keep meeting on. Whose roof is this? Is this what people do instead of meeting in the city?

That seal head that Touma has is kind of disturbing

Resolution was okay but it's not very exciting to see Touma use a new sword. He has Excalibur and Ikazuchi already. What does adding the sword of light add?

Oh, so sword of light is needed in this arc to save people who are turned into Megiddo. I feel like people withholding information from each other for dumb reasons and not talking to each other is the sign of weak writing...

So why was Tassel wearing that mask?

Edit: This is so stupid. The very first line in the episode proper is Mei asking Yuuri what will happen if Yuki is cut down in her Megiddo form

/me uses his own wiki to figure out which of the bad guy commanders is in this episode

Snoopy figures from Daigo Speedy:
https://deagostini.jp/snh/
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Re: KR Saber 18 released

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

Pretty good. Not as good as the last one though.
Again, teasing us with Tassel’s connection with the story….
So, the villains like to play ”happy” music when they’re happy. At least they’ve got some interesting sides to them huh….
So Yuuri was a swordsman at some point.
And now they have an “actual” conversation after already trying to beat each others’ butts off.
Again, not explaining things fast enough….
Oh, so they have Yuuri fight from within shadows too, I forgot that after the last episode…
Seriously, instead of just saying “don’t do it, don’t do it” and taking all the hits, Touma just could’ve explained what’s going on!!
Don’t they ever get tired of doing the “tying the last bandage knot too tight”?? Cuz I’m seriously bored…
“I’ll save Yuki-san” is all Touma’s been saying… What does he plan on doing exactly?
What is the whole point of Mei being in the battlefield the whole time if she doesn’t help them?
They finally saved Yuki-san… Nice technique.
Touma’s finally becoming smarter I guess.…
Wow, Yuuri sure came around soon enough..
That final scene where Yuuri says that he could’ve saved Yuki-san all along… Hilarious….
So, is Rintarou Reika’s main target?
takenoko wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:33 pm < Previous
Wiki
Next >

What is this roof tthat they keep meeting on. Whose roof is this? Is this what people do instead of meeting in the city?

That seal head that Touma has is kind of disturbing
I already asked that question in a previous episode! Why do they keep coming to this roof??!! Where is this roof?
And what do you mean by "Seal head"?
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
Twilights_Bard

Post by Twilights_Bard »

Ok, seriously, the Sword of Logos guys are carrying around the idiot ball like it was a 4 for 1 deal and made of some super-precious metal. If Touma was an actual traitor then the dude must either A) Work really really fast, which I'm doubtful of, or B) Have somehow managed to convince the fire sword to appear at that time, accept him, know Kento enough to get that trust, be FAKING the damn amnesia, get Calibur to seal his sword so that he can trick the Sword of Light and claim the power of Arthur...I mean we complained about the breakneck pacing but that's a lot to do in a relatively short time, assuming that Touma was planning to betray them from the get go, otherwise....yeah, I'm not sure when it's possible.

I was going to say that it doesn't take much for Touma to yell there was a person in the Megiddo, but he did, so point to him at least for trying. But seriously, has no one taught the swordsmen to observe when they can? Is the book Sophia gave to Mei the only way they know when something is happening? Seriously these are supposed to be...well professional monster hunters and they make a herd of cats seem easier to keep on track. Also while I'm at it, Mr. Yuuri Sword thingy, can you give the full explanation about cutting the Megiddo down next time? I'm not trying to make Touma the smart one here but I came up with the same conclusion he did...And my brain is currently trying to figure out if Mei trying to talk some sense into Rintaro would work, probably not.

Not sure what Reika is doing but the 'barely in scenes' thing doesn't do much for me, it's too easy to appear like a master manipulator when doing this.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral

Post by takenoko »

Twilights_Bard wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:41 pm Ok, seriously, the Sword of Logos guys are carrying around the idiot ball like it was a 4 for 1 deal and made of some super-precious metal.
I love this phrase

>And what do you mean by "Seal head"?

When Yuuri is looking around the book shop, one of the items on the table is a seal head
ShepardRahl
Infinity
Favorite series: Kamen rider
2nd Favorite Series: Super Sentai
Dreamy: Yoshizawa Hitomi
Favorite Actor?: Dwayne Johnson
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Rider Belts
Quote: I will tell you something about anything...if not everything.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by ShepardRahl »

So I had been really busy and unable to watch toku for some months and got quite a backlog. I finished Zero-One (overall I liked it…I hated that they killed off Izu but I was glad they didn’t bring her back at the end because that would have been a cheap cop-out) and started Saber. I’m caught up to this episode and here’s my thoughts…

After episode one I was like…Oh man. I don’t know about this. Please keep in mind this is all written as I progressed through the series.

Like:
  • The book theme is okay I guess, but it seems they are going lowest common denominator with it.

The suits are okay.

I like the boy band’s monster forms.

I like Calibur’s king dragon form.
Dislike:
  • Novelist Touma. I hate these types of characters. I hated it when…Ghost???(I don’t remember exactly)…did it, and I hate it here.

I like elaborate henshins, but these are just unnecessary. The henshins have been getting more and more camp with each new Rider series.

Mei is over the top.

Boy band villains.

CG. I like the transition effect when they cross worlds, but the rest of it is tiresome.

All the bubbles.

Episode 2 and they already have power ups. I miss the good old days when the riders would only get two power ups through the whole series.

The suit actor for Buster seems to be quite a bit thicker than the actor for Ogami. If that is supposed to be a portrayal of his age, they are doing it wrong.

Ren acts like a five-year-old
By the time we get to the end of the series it will take an entire episode just to get through all of the book’s and drivers’ speeches.

When Touma henshined into dragonic knight and saw his left hand I thought he was going to start venting on people.

This feels much more like a sentai than a Kamen Rider show. I think that’s part of the problem. When your attacks consist of the three little pigs and an enemy is the ugly duckling quaking at you, I tend to tune out.
Saber would have been so much better if it were themed on King Arthur and the knights of the round table, instead of books and fairy tales. But we have a Hanzel & Gretel rider. So I guess my life is now complete.
I will tell you something about anything...if not everything!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>The suit actor for Buster seems to be quite a bit thicker than the actor for Ogami. If that is supposed to be a portrayal of his age, they are doing it wrong.

Any time you've got a thick Rider, you know it's got to be Okamoto Jirou! (Except when it's Tominaga Kenji). I mean they're both thick dudes, aren't they?

>Saber would have been so much better if it were themed on King Arthur and the knights of the round table, instead of books and fairy tales. But we have a Hanzel & Gretel rider. So I guess my life is now complete.

oooh, yeah. Imagine if the Arthur stuff played a bigger part in this story than almost nothing at all, lol. Ah what could have been
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster

ShepardRahl wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:30 pm This feels much more like a sentai than a Kamen Rider show. I think that’s part of the problem. When your attacks consist of the three little pigs and an enemy is the ugly duckling quaking at you, I tend to tune out.
Saber would have been so much better if it were themed on King Arthur and the knights of the round table, instead of books and fairy tales. But we have a Hanzel & Gretel rider. So I guess my life is now complete.
Why didn't hey make the King Arthur topic a bigger thing exactly? It's a very big thing, and NOBODY thought of giving the importance it should get after bringing it up in the first place? :? :|

And yeah, the whole thing with Sentai and Rider trying to be like each other IS NOT working well. Saber has been bad for quite a while now, even though it got slightly better for the last few episodes. And the resemblance with Sentai is only making it being disliked by people.
The same thing about Zenkaiger. They finally address the many worlds existing in the Sentai universe and turn it into a whole thing. Just like many Rider seasons seen before. And man, I'm not ready for this, AT ALL!! And of course, the suits and henshined forms. Why are they so dumb-looking? They're literally just shrunk down mechs.... And the Zenkaiser suit, well I plain hate it.
SERIOUSLY, whoever in TOEI thought about experimenting and interchanging Rider and Sentai elements TOTALLY ruined it for these two seasons. :cry: :!: :| :shock: :?

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
Mighty Action X
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Quote: "Fast means going slowly without interruptions."
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Mighty Action X »

I have three thoughts about this episode.

1. Lack of communication is bad.
2. Blind obedience is unhealthy.
3. And Ren is still a big fucking moron.
msf232
Faiz
Dreamy: 민지여신
Favorite Band: Dreamcatcher
My boom: Nothing definite, changes from time to time
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by msf232 »

Ren is showing no signs of improvement

Mei needs to not be sitting on the battlefield like a moron

The cinematography in this episode was actually good though
Finished:
Dairanger, Shinkenger, Kyoryuger–キングオージャー
Kuuga–Geats
Nexus, R/B
Ryukendo, Rescue Force
スパイダーマン
CH THE LIVE
Akibaranger, Akiba S痛
Wakusaver S2, Jyuukaizar
CPH GandD
ShepardRahl
Infinity

Post by ShepardRahl »

Thenosa Yechette wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:57 am
ShepardRahl wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:30 pm This feels much more like a sentai than a Kamen Rider show. I think that’s part of the problem. When your attacks consist of the three little pigs and an enemy is the ugly duckling quaking at you, I tend to tune out.
Why didn't hey make the King Arthur topic a bigger thing exactly? It's a very big thing, and NOBODY thought of giving the importance it should get after bringing it up in the first place? :? :|

And yeah, the whole thing with Sentai and Rider trying to be like each other IS NOT working well. Saber has been bad for quite a while now, even though it got slightly better for the last few episodes. And the resemblance with Sentai is only making it being disliked by people.
The same thing about Zenkaiger. They finally address the many worlds existing in the Sentai universe and turn it into a whole thing. Just like many Rider seasons seen before. And man, I'm not ready for this, AT ALL!! And of course, the suits and henshined forms. Why are they so dumb-looking? They're literally just shrunk down mechs.... And the Zenkaiser suit, well I plain hate it.
SERIOUSLY, whoever in TOEI thought about experimenting and interchanging Rider and Sentai elements TOTALLY ruined it for these two seasons. :cry: :!: :| :shock: :?
Yeah. They made such a big deal of having to get King Arthur and they only used it once or twice. For something that's supposed to have "immeasurable power" it gets sidelined a lot.

Saber has gotten a little better. The story has picked up a little bit so it has me a little more interested.

I'm also very iffy about Zenkaiger. I know sentai is for kids just to sell toys, but it's been getting progressively more...childish?...immature?...with each series. Kamen Rider has too. With Saber and Zemkaiger it looks like they are trying something different and with Saber it's not working. I've read even Japanese audiences hate Saber.
Dante ShadowRoadz
7X

Post by Dante ShadowRoadz »

Two episodes of decent pacing in a row, I'm almost inclined to be optimistic. Though again, the actual contents of the episode feels like it fits wayyy later in the season than it is, due to how rushed and compressed everything previously has been. That said, this was a decent take on the situation at the given moment for the plot, and the fight scenes are still consistently good. I'm liking the Sword of Light, Rider of Shadow concept all the more, it fits in its own way as being an powerful 'original' Sacred Blade, if nothing else. Though again, they mention Arthur's power in passing and it plays no role in anything going on. I'm seriously wondering just how hard the pandemic has bowled over their original ideas for the season.

The other swordsmen are still hopeless though, Rintarou and Ren especially. For all he's seen and learned since meeting Touma, Rintarou is little better than a puppet at this point and Ren is a step below even that. Buster Dad and Slash are way too experienced to be making these dumb choices without hearing the full state of things, that and the bit with Touma and Yuuri's 'miscommunication' about how he could have saved Yuki more easily tells me that they're falling back on the old "everyone is misunderstanding everyone else because nobody actually talks" trope. Hopefully things will improve going forward.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

So... is anyone else wondering if Sophia's actress left the show? It feels like if she got sidelined for plot reasons, she'd still show up from time to time at least. But we haven't seen a peep from her in what feels like two months
Mighty Action X
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Quote: "Fast means going slowly without interruptions."
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Mighty Action X »

takenoko wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:38 pm So... is anyone else wondering if Sophia's actress left the show? It feels like if she got sidelined for plot reasons, she'd still show up from time to time at least. But we haven't seen a peep from her in what feels like two months
To be honest, the atmosphere, though dark, feels better without her around.
ShepardRahl
Infinity

Post by ShepardRahl »

takenoko wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:38 pm So... is anyone else wondering if Sophia's actress left the show? It feels like if she got sidelined for plot reasons, she'd still show up from time to time at least. But we haven't seen a peep from her in what feels like two months
I got the impression the southern base was holding her prisoner. As to why we haven't actually seen her, I couldn't say. Unless we're just not supposed to see her for plot.
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster

ShepardRahl wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:25 pm I'm also very iffy about Zenkaiger. I know sentai is for kids just to sell toys, but it's been getting progressively more...childish?...immature?...with each series. Kamen Rider has too. With Saber and Zemkaiger it looks like they are trying something different and with Saber it's not working. I've read even Japanese audiences hate Saber.
Sentai keeps changing how its story will be every year. We had Lupin VS Pat not so long ago so.... Actually, there's no telling what TOEI will do with which season. It's certainly true that Sentai has lessened the amount of slightly mature and/or darker elements in the last two decades. But still, things can definitely change at any time. Without a doubt, KR has more mature and darker, deeper plots to it than Sentai in general. So they shouldn't usually be compared even if they're both for kids and by TOEI, imo.
And I am DEFINITELY not surprised that even the Japanese audience hates Saber. If there's nothing really strong going for it, you've got no choice but to dislike it. But of course, Saber has been getting better. So I have hope that it gets to a better position than where it is at the moment.
Now that you mention it, I think it's possible that the actress left or was removed from the main cast. Although, I don't feel that Sophia served any actual purpose in the show anymore. So it might be better off without her after all. :| :| :?

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice