Zenkaiger 01 released

Covid Sentai Singleranger
Forum rules

Zenkaiger Wiki Link

< Kiramei | Kikai Sentai Zenkaiger | DonBro >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:12 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
64%
☆☆☆☆
15%
☆☆☆
10%
☆☆
8%
3%

Total votes: 39
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Zenkaiger 01 released

Post by takenoko »

Wiki
Next >

Last Kiramager's rating: 4.53 of 5 (17 votes)

Alt Title: So can Kikainoids breed with humans?

Are Kikainoids fully functional? I'm asking for a friend

I think the invasion saved Kaito from eating a bunch of metal bits and dying

Overall, I thought this was a pretty good first episode? With Sentai first episodes, I often feel overwhelmed and annoyed by all the shit they try to cram into one episode. Just focusing on two-three main characters and the bad guys works

Hopefully the translation captures it, but Zyuran's dialogue with the teens partying is hecka cliche and full of dumb dad puns

Shall we play a game of spotting the Sentai references per episode? It felt like each line of the opening song had at least two or three!

Edit:
Luna found the joke that the Cup Noodle is referencing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtpL14W5Of8
Slowking
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Favorite series: Magi/Geki/Gokai/Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gosei/W
Quote: Henshin!

Re: Zenkaiger 01 released

Post by Slowking »

I was quite skeptical at first but I really liked it.

Kaito will clearly be getting a lot of focus but I didn't find him annoying like other reds in the past.

Introducing one character at a time will help flesh them out which is important in the beginning of a series. And I thought introducing Zyuran here worked well.

The CGI in the mecha fight seems slightly improved but it may be just me.

Ijirude reminds me of Gien from Timeranger.

We collected all past sentai references in Gokaiger before, so it's a great idea to do it for Zenkaiger too. The Bang bang in the opening reminds me of the Goranger theme.

Oh and, casual kitty at 01:31.
Behold the Emperor!
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

I'm cautiously optimistic? Kaito didn't irritate me, the grandma was amusing but not ridiculously out there (something to be said for older actresses, they don't overact), and searching for each member one-by-one is an old trope but relatively fresh for sentai, where everyone's a team to start with. I'm not thrilled with there being only one face actor but if the suit/voice actors do well enough maybe I'll get used to it?

Although honestly I was really into Bukkowaus's design. It's so monolithic and cool, and the voice matches perfectly. Hoping we get a half human/half Kikainoid commander further on.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Bukkowaus's is veteran voice actor Nakata Jouji

You may recognize him as: Tankjou from Ryusoul, Azauld from Jyuohger, Roshuo from Gaim, etc.
https://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Nakata_Jouji
Mighty Action X
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: "Fast means going slowly without interruptions."
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Mighty Action X »

It was actually a pretty good first episode.

It's like an Ultraman with a Kamen Rider Host and there's five of them so it's a Sentai.
TheNinjaDragon
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TheNinjaDragon »

I like how you nicknamed this iteration the way you did, takenoko. :P But anyway, I'm interested in seeing where they go with this!
deuxcolors
Adventure
Favorite series: KR Build
2nd Favorite Series: Zero One
Dreamy: Almost everyone is too damned pretty
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Tokusatsu, Voice Acting
Quote: We are all fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance.
Type: INTP Architect
Instagram: deuxcolors

Post by deuxcolors »

99% of the time I'm not a fan of the first few episodes of Sentai, and I generally will drop off and just watch KR.
There are exceptions of course (Kiramanger was once I didn't like the start, but got back into and glad I did).

That being said, I LOVED THIS EPISODE.
It reminds me of the 3rd (?) season of Power Rangers with the mech empire (never watched the Sentai), but I only caught bits of it at the time since I wasn't interested in PR at the time.

I totally understood why people weren't happy with the idea of one human with four bots as a team, but in the context of this story it actually works (and if it wasn't for COVID my guess would have been 2 or 3 humans with 3 or 2 bots instead).
I like the mug of the hero, and technically he isn't a Red even if he is the leader.

I'm not quite sure why I feel so strongly about this season, but I am really looking forward to it.

Full disclosure. I couldn't wait for the TVN release so I watch someone else's (I promised Take I will watch the TVN one as well) and it didn't come across in that sub but I had a feeling that the red bot (I'm horrible with names) was giving off a "hello young peoples" vibe when he showed up at the cookout.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

The first episode of a new series on a Monday night?! Holy smokes, you guys are really on the ball this week! :o

Anyhow, I tend to find Sentai first episodes a bit on the overwhelming side of things, and this one was no exception. There's just so much to get through; new characters, new villains, new toys (merchandising!). The fact that they only gave us 2 rangers at the start is probably for the best, as I can't imagine fitting in anything more, but it was still a heavy episode.

So Kaito's parents just happened to create an arsenal of weapons of mass destruction that they've been sitting on for the last 10 years?! Sentai never dwells too much on where the power of the year comes from, but this one is certainly more out there.

Past that, if I'm being blunt, there's nothing on the action front for this episode that particularly impressed me. Neither the ground nor mecha fights were particularly memorable; which is unusual, since Toei normally does something flashy in the first episode to show off. Meanwhile, that has to be the worst T-rex design that Toei has come up with yet.:( I'm hoping that since it's all CGI, we won't be seeing much of it.

Finally, was that an eyecatch I saw mid-way through the episode?! Sentai hasn't done an eyecatch since what, Shinkenger?
Last edited by ViRGE on Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
CrazyAznKT
That's so ridiculous
That's so ridiculous
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Favorite Band: Carly Rae Jepsen
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Playing way too much Yakuza
Quote: We need emotional content.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by CrazyAznKT »

Forget Sentai references, we got a Godzilla reference!

deuxcolors
Adventure
Favorite series: KR Build
2nd Favorite Series: Zero One
Dreamy: Almost everyone is too damned pretty
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Tokusatsu, Voice Acting
Quote: We are all fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance.
Type: INTP Architect
Instagram: deuxcolors

Post by deuxcolors »

I'm guessing we will get the "Big Flashy Intro Battle" once all the team members are reunited.
We get yellow next week, so either only pink in two weeks or pink and blue.
I figure we'll see blue get smacked around a bit more before getting fed up and joining the team.
msf232
Faiz
Dreamy: 민지여신
Favorite Band: Dreamcatcher
My boom: Nothing definite, changes from time to time
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by msf232 »

For me, they ruined the show straight up by putting the Sentai shows in different universes

But without that, I think they did pretty good for a first episode. It's interesting, so can't wait to see what's next. I have a feeling the next episode will give me Zyuohger vibes though.

Also, huge thanks to TV-Nihon for letting me work on this show. And you managed to release it this quickly too. You guys are the best!
Finished:
Dairanger, Shinkenger, Kyoryuger–キングオージャー
Kuuga–Geats
Nexus, R/B
Ryukendo, Rescue Force
スパイダーマン
CH THE LIVE
Akibaranger, Akiba S痛
Wakusaver S2, Jyuukaizar
CPH GandD
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Yep, as expected, they're really retconning the last 10 years of continuity just to cater to Shirakura's love of parallel worlds. Sigh...

Aside from that the episode was decent. But seriously, it's gonna be hard to enjoy it when they're just straight up shitting on continuity like that. At least it didn't make me massively angry like Zi-O's first episode did.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
TheNinjaDragon
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TheNinjaDragon »

HowlingSnail wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:58 am Yep, as expected, they're really retconning the last 10 years of continuity just to cater to Shirakura's love of parallel worlds. Sigh...

Aside from that the episode was decent. But seriously, it's gonna be hard to enjoy it when they're just straight up shitting on continuity like that. At least it didn't make me massively angry like Zi-O's first episode did.
I have a feeling that this show will trump over that one, at least in terms of quality. The main character seems endearing already (to me anyways), so that's a good sign.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

TheNinjaDragon wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:02 am
HowlingSnail wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:58 am Yep, as expected, they're really retconning the last 10 years of continuity just to cater to Shirakura's love of parallel worlds. Sigh...

I have a feeling that this show will trump over that one, at least in terms of quality. The main character seems endearing already (to me anyways), so that's a good sign.
Dear God I hope so. Hopefully we can get some more past actors returning. We've already had Akaranger in the movie, so it'd be a shame if we don't get any more. That might distract from any poor quality.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
TheNinjaDragon
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TheNinjaDragon »

HowlingSnail wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:16 am
TheNinjaDragon wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:02 am

Dear God I hope so. Hopefully we can get some more past actors returning. We've already had Akaranger in the movie, so it'd be a shame if we don't get any more. That might distract from any poor quality.
If the pandemic and Toei's budget keeper allows it, we could get another Gokaiger vs. Goseiger.

Return to “Sentai-Kikai Sentai Zenkaiger”