Type: ISFJ Protector

Hurricaneger 20 years after discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

Wiki

lol nao in her old fashion clothes. red guy's clothes are nice too

Bye kid, you're getting abandoned

Those are amazing sandals lady

The monster designs are pretty nice

The Hurricanegers are just standing by and letting those two jobbers get killed. Nice

These villains are collecting the infinity stones...

Looks like these guys serve the Tokugawa clan
https://doyouknowjapan.com/symbols/

Is this princess the first person under 30 in the movie so far?

Does anyone recognize what kind of theater this is? Or is it anachronistic?

The princess is hilarious. Seriously, past Hurricanegers, are they going to spectate this whole story?

I noticed a few scenes back that the bad guy lady is wearing fake skin on the top and it's very distracting

Wait, in the middle of beating up the two commanders they decided just to retreat. But why? It's not like they were pushing them back

I feel like Oboro wasn't in the 10 year anniversary was she?

Everyone stay in costume so we can save on the twins special effects for the rest of the movie

Oh, these are literally the eternity stones

Why did the bad guys teleport to the middle of a street?

Magic crystal looks cracked already

Huh, based on the design of the web, it looks like the crystals were originally going to be around the center?

38 minutes in and the ancient Hurricanegers do something

Why'd it take her 20 years to decide to do something after her lover died?

Minor complaint about these after specials is that there isn't much opportunity for character growth. Either it's already happened in the main show or it repeats it, making it less interesting

At least we get to see them fight across ninja town

Why'd she put on a mask just to turn into a cgi monster?

Someone likes the entertainment arc of demon slayer

Gotta love the simplicity of the ancestor's ninja outfits, with the sliver of color poking out of the lining of their robes

Kageyama's theme is still the best

Always love making-of footage in the credits

This was much more enjoyable than 10 years after. The plot's weak, but servicable. But it's just fun to see this cast hang out and work together again, while also dragging some new people along with them
Thenosa Yechette
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Super Sentai.
Type: INTP Architect
Location: A backwater place in this backwater planet(according to Agent Abrera)

Re: Hurricaneger 20 years after discussion thread

Post by Thenosa Yechette »

As enjoyable as it may be, I think it kinda beats the point of the after specials. In these after specials, I usually want to know what the team is doing in the present, so many years after their season had ended. While this one did have the present Hurricanegers, they were never the focus characters, they were more like featured characters. We have no idea what is happening to their lives in the present. We never found out who Nanami is married to. Or whether anyone other than Nanami or Kouta is married or not. I dislike it when these after movies fail to tell us what the team is doing now after (kinda) retiring from being heroes. Even one scene or two acknowledging what they're doing will do. I was hoping to get something like that till the end, but nothing.
Thenosa :)

Finished watching:
SS:
Dekaranger
Boukenger
Shinkenger-Ninnninger
Lupinranger VS Patranger-Zenkaiger
Akibaranger
KR:
Kiva
Build
Zero-One -Revice
Misc:
Ryuukendo
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

The Hurricangers were creating history again. They started the "10th year after" trend, and here they made the first "20th year after". The shows that were able to follow this delivered pretty fun movies, I loved hearing the original music kicked in and brought a wave of nostalgia. Well for the sentai side anyway, when Kamen Rider tried it we got that OOO movie.

This movie was an old friends gathering 20 years later. The plot is straight forward but serves its purpose. This was just a bunch of old friends getting back together to have some fun, and it's very enjoyable to watch. They got the WHOLE main cast back, down to the hamster (probably not the same one), and OMG even SHURIKENGER! The Head of the Shinobi was Shurikenger's voice actor! His clothes even have his Galactic Ninja Alliance star symbol! He missed the 10th Anniversary and I'm sooooooo very happy he's in this one!

Aging works in mysterious ways. Ikki looks older than his big brother now.

Oh, they need to stay in morph? That's a good way to get around green-screening. I bet it's a nightmare to juggle green-screening and camera angles between 10 characters played by 5 actors. But... they stayed in morph even in the lab? That means Oboro didn't get to actually interact with the cast?

Mugensai was a hamster again for no reason, at least he got to appeared as human in the past. I feel Oboro's assistant had more meaningful lines in the DonBro's crossover than in the actual movie.

Wasn't this gem plot used in Zenkai vs Kirame?

Wait, why was the last pass back to Younosuke green-screened?

Only Red got a new form and it's mostly just adding more clothing on top. I guessed they didn't want to make too much on these one-off new suits. The kabuki themed suit looked rad though.

Cgi arachnophobia alert.

Lol The Head of the Shinobi dumped his outer coat, referencing when Shurikenger dumped his armor to do his power change.

In the credits:
Aunja clapping when the princess finishing her last scene was adorable.
Ikki actually jumped off the roof himself, didn't use a stunt double. Even the Megerapper on the roof looked concerned.
There's a scene where the cameraman is lying on the ground while Nami jumped over him. Now I'm imaging what if she didn't jump far enough and crashed into him.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault

Post by takenoko »

>The Hurricanegers were creating history again. They started the "10th year after" trend, and here they made the first "20th year after".

Never underestimate the indomitable will of Nao

>Aging works in mysterious ways. Ikki looks older than his big brother now.

I guess I'm not the only one who noticed that. Honestly, they both look kind of the same to me? Am I agist?

>Mugensai was a hamster again for no reason, at least he got to appeared as human in the past. I feel Oboro's assistant had more meaningful lines in the DonBro's crossover than in the actual movie.

Yeah, it seems weird to create a new character only to not give her very much to do? She's literally mini Oboro in terms of plot exposition, but Oboro could have just done that herself? I guess she's eye candy and they did get a joke out of her presence

>Wasn't this gem plot used in Zenkai vs Kirame?

Was it? I guess Kiramager had a lot of gem stones though

>Lol The Head of the Shinobi dumped his outer coat, referencing when Shurikenger dumped his armor to do his power change.

Oooh

>There's a scene where the cameraman is lying on the ground while Nami jumped over him. Now I'm imaging what if she didn't jump far enough and crashed into him.

The risky business of running a stunt and special effects studio
msf232
Faiz
Dreamy: 민지여신
Favorite Band: Dreamcatcher
My boom: Nothing definite, changes from time to time
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by msf232 »

takenoko wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:43 pm Everyone stay in costume so we can save on the twins special effects for the rest of the movie
Considering Nanami/Nami got a (brief) scene which others didn't get, I say we could've had a few more with her
Also because it's Nao Nagasawa
Finished:
Dairanger, Shinkenger, Kyoryuger–キングオージャー
Kuuga–Geats
Nexus, R/B
Ryukendo, Rescue Force
スパイダーマン
CH THE LIVE
Akibaranger, Akiba S痛
Wakusaver S2, Jyuukaizar
CPH GandD
Aeikozz
Faiz
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Aeikozz »

These are the reason i continue to live upon this realm. I will never get enough of these.

Just amazing.

Can we talk Oboro-san and her reconization of using a Logitech Keyboard? It feels good to be using the same one she's using.

I loved this entire plot.

Thanks again guys.

To another 20 years!
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I haven't been paying any attention to any of the promo materials, so maybe this wasn't a surprise to everyone else. But I had no idea this was going to be an AU-style movie. As a result, I spent the first 25 minutes completely and utterly confused about what in the sam hell was going on and why they were no longer rangers.:lol: The explanation afterwards helps put things in context, but I don't think this was the way the movie was meant to be seen; anyone who knew these were the ancestors from the get-go probably got more out of the movie overall.

I do have to agree that a movie that doesn't actually feature the characters from the series proper is an odd route to take. We did get the actors (which is always a huge thing to pull off in these reunion movies), but I was expecting a lot more of the characters than what we got. So the whole thing comes as a bit of a curve ball. I do however agree with the point that it's hard to write a reunion movie that develops the OG characters at all (since they're already developed), so that was an efficient work-around to that problem.

The plot was straight-forward, but I have no complaints once the time travel aspect was explained. It was ultimately all window dressing to do a Hurricaneger movie set in a historical era - and it's not the first time we've seen Toei do this. (Tourists, please come visit the scenic Kyoto Studio Park!). The villains are an utter ass-pull, all things considered; but that's always going to be a problem for a reunion movie since most series end with killing off the villains for good. Though I was a bit surprised that they didn't work Wendinu and Furabijou into the movie, as they're the only face actors from the original series that are absent - and they had that gag about coming back in another 10 years.

The highlight of the new characters is without a doubt, Oiranda. Limited character background aside, her actress was very clearly having a ball playing the part. It's not a ham-job, per-se, but she knew what she was getting in to and was living it up.:lol:

Action-wise, they made good use of the Toei backlot. It's interesting that they once again opted to shoot a reunion movie with a minimum of transformed action; even counting Edo Red, almost everything is done with the actors and or stand-ins. As with the 10 Year movie, I do feel it makes for a toku movie that's light on the toku, but in this movie they do make up for a bit more with the greater villain presence.

Meanwhile, the new Shurikenger (Tenkai) is nowhere to be found. *shrug* And while this is a very minor nitpick, I thought it odd that the MacGuffin stones were red, blue, yellow, and transparent. Given the obvious symmetry in the color of the stones and the color of the rangers, I would have expected the last stone to be green.
takenoko wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:43 pm The Hurricanegers are just standing by and letting those two jobbers get killed. Nice
And that's the part that threw me for the biggest loop, until it was finally explained that these are different people (ancestors) in the past.
I noticed a few scenes back that the bad guy lady is wearing fake skin on the top and it's very distracting
A flesh-color leotard, you mean? I noticed that as well. It's pretty common these days in Toei productions, I feel. The sides of Mele's outfit were the same way. 50/50 on whether it's for modesty reasons, or just to keep the actresses more comfortable. And while she was designed to fit in to the sexy female commander role, they clearly weren't trying to go as far with the skin as say, Malshiina.
Wait, in the middle of beating up the two commanders they decided just to retreat. But why? It's not like they were pushing them back
They weren't exactly winning, so much as they caught the bad-guys off-guard.
I feel like Oboro wasn't in the 10 year anniversary was she?
She was, but just for the trial.
Why'd she put on a mask just to turn into a cgi monster?
The movie was solid up until that point. I don't know who decided they needed a CGI spider fight, but they were incorrect. I have to assume the mask was to hide the use of a stuntie (as usual). There was nothing in those scenes that required a stuntie, but since it's an outdoor lot, they must have filmed the night scenes at night. So I am going to guess Oiranda's actress was not available for those shots?
Oh, they need to stay in morph? That's a good way to get around green-screening. I bet it's a nightmare to juggle green-screening and camera angles between 10 characters played by 5 actors. But... they stayed in morph even in the lab? That means Oboro didn't get to actually interact with the cast?
It would seem not. Keeping the rangers transformed means that they didn't have to do a separate studio day with the entire cast; it's entirely possible the base scenes weren't even filmed around the same time as the rest of the movie (on-location).
Wasn't this gem plot used in Zenkai vs Kirame?
Ahh, yes. Those were those funny-shaped wishing stones rather than colorful jewels. But it is indeed the same basic concept.
takenoko wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:35 am Never underestimate the indomitable will of Nao
Amen.
Aging works in mysterious ways. Ikki looks older than his big brother now.
I guess I'm not the only one who noticed that. Honestly, they both look kind of the same to me? Am I agist?
No, it's not just you. If it wasn't for the colors, I'd never be able to tell which was which. They look more like brothers now than they ever did before.
Yeah, it seems weird to create a new character only to not give her very much to do? She's literally mini Oboro in terms of plot exposition, but Oboro could have just done that herself? I guess she's eye candy and they did get a joke out of her presence
I had that thought as well. Either she's eye-candy (though that role seems redundant with the princess and the big bad?), or as we didn't see Oboro in the DonBros special, this was the writers' solution to not being able to get Oboro's actress for that production? Either way, there's no getting around the fact that she didn't add much to the story.
Last edited by ViRGE on Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost23
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Ghost23 »

How many sentai series are ninja themed? The one that plays Nami, she's still beautiful as ever. She's my sentai girl crush. I don't think I found another one in any of the other series.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault

Post by takenoko »

This, Kaku, and Shuriken, right?
msf232
Faiz
Dreamy: 민지여신
Favorite Band: Dreamcatcher
My boom: Nothing definite, changes from time to time
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by msf232 »

takenoko wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:41 am This, Kaku, and Shuriken, right?
Yes, those would be the ones
Finished:
Dairanger, Shinkenger, Kyoryuger–キングオージャー
Kuuga–Geats
Nexus, R/B
Ryukendo, Rescue Force
スパイダーマン
CH THE LIVE
Akibaranger, Akiba S痛
Wakusaver S2, Jyuukaizar
CPH GandD
DrGamer2039
That's so ridiculous
That's so ridiculous

Post by DrGamer2039 »

I loved how different this was. Gotta love that about Hurricaneger. Always gonna be doing something cool.

The scene where Oboro tells them they can't de-morph is really funny to me.

Return to “Super Sentai (Completed)”