Ressha Sentai Toqger: Where are they now?

Den-O reincarnated! Den-O will never die!
Forum rules

Wiki Link

< Kyouryuuger | Toqger | Ninninger >

Current Spoiler Policy: Rumors and basic info about upcoming show okay. Further plot development like extra rangers not okay.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Ressha Sentai Toqger: Where are they now?

Post by takenoko »

Lunagel wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:54 pm https://www.sponichi.co.jp/entertainmen ... 9000c.html

Shison Jun announced today he's leaving his talent agency to go independent.
For those of us who don't live in Japan, what's that mean? In the past, it seems like actors who leave their agencies don't usually return to roles previously arranged for them, hence no Tendou cameo, etc.
TokuGeek1999
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TokuGeek1999 »

Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

takenoko wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:11 pm
Lunagel wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:54 pm https://www.sponichi.co.jp/entertainmen ... 9000c.html

Shison Jun announced today he's leaving his talent agency to go independent.
For those of us who don't live in Japan, what's that mean? In the past, it seems like actors who leave their agencies don't usually return to roles previously arranged for them, hence no Tendou cameo, etc.
Pretty much, yeah. Generally they only do it if they have big issues with their agency or if they think they are big enough they can make it through the inevitable backlash and lean period afterwards. The other two people I can think of that left their agencies are Tendou Souji's actor, and Joujima Yuuki's actress from Fourze (though she was in a cult so it's sort of different).

Any contracts the actor had went through the agency, and while Toei definitely *could* negotiate a new contract directly with Shison, they won't, because that would be cutting his old agency out of the picture. If they want to keep a good relationship with the agency (and they do, it's one of the largest in Japan) then they won't use him in the same role again.

I'd say the chances of them getting him again for a special just went from slim to none.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I never really cared about toq 1 anyway, just replace him with the kid version

Edit:
I guess I still don't totally understand why someone would make this decision. It seems like such a devastating decision that unless he's sick or something, I'm not sure why he would do this if he continued to want to be in the entertainment industry

Is this his sort of way of saying he's retiring from the public spotlight?
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

The article seems to suggest that he wants to essentially go independent. Which I guess maybe implies bad blood? I dunno, and I doubt they'd say anything. Certainly it sounds like he wants to keep on in the industry, but representing himself.

Certainly just retiring from the industry doesn't mean they have to never come back. Kyoryu Pink retired in 2018 but still did King-Ohger, albeit in a fairly minor role, though I assume that's more due to her being too busy to commit, hence her going on one location shoot and being green screened into another.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

takenoko wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:42 pm Edit:
I guess I still don't totally understand why someone would make this decision. It seems like such a devastating decision that unless he's sick or something, I'm not sure why he would do this if he continued to want to be in the entertainment industry

Is this his sort of way of saying he's retiring from the public spotlight?
If he was mid or low-tier then yeah, I'd agree. But he's a big name now (like I see his face on ads in the supermarket big) so he can probably weather the storm. If he was retiring he'd just say retiring and not going independent.

HowlingSnail wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:22 am The article seems to suggest that he wants to essentially go independent. Which I guess maybe implies bad blood? I dunno, and I doubt they'd say anything. Certainly it sounds like he wants to keep on in the industry, but representing himself.
It's quite possible there's bad blood. The agencies are pretty cutthroat and ruthless, but they're pretty much the only way to get a job when you're just starting out. They're probably taking a big cut of whatever he gets as well, so if he thinks he can still make it after cutting ties, he'll probably get more money.

I don't doubt he'll still be a big name in the entertainment industry, but I do doubt that we'll see him in any tokusatsu again.
TokuGeek1999
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TokuGeek1999 »

We could have Tenta Banka as the new TOQ 1
Ruffinn Kein
7X
Favorite series: Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: 人知れず生まれ、人知れず生きる、そして人知れず消えるもの。それでも人に知られ、思い出されたいもの。
Type: INTP Architect
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ruffinn_kein/

Post by Ruffinn Kein »

takenoko wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:38 pm I feel like TOQ 10 years after might be hard. To quote Luna (probably) "Toei can't afford Shison Jun or Ryuusei". And I don't know what's happened to Ririra, feel like I haven't heard anything from her recently
Making a 10YA wouldn't make sense in-universe. The ToQger returns movie takes place in the year 2025 and has flashbacks from 2015. So they technically already did a 10YA for ToQ. So unless they want to replace an already canon movie, how are they going to make sense of making another 10YA...? Other than just celebrating the 10th anniversary in the real world maybe.
I always like Riria's stuff. She hasn't done much recently, but whatever she does, I always try to watch. I watched last year's DoraKoi for her. She did 2 dramas that I have watched/checked out this year: the JP remake of Blue Birthday(which also has Hama Shougo/LupinBlue in it) and "Kekkon Yoteibi".
Ruffinn Kein 🙃
TokuGeek1999
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TokuGeek1999 »

Ruffinn Kein wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:38 am
takenoko wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:38 pm I feel like TOQ 10 years after might be hard. To quote Luna (probably) "Toei can't afford Shison Jun or Ryuusei". And I don't know what's happened to Ririra, feel like I haven't heard anything from her recently
Making a 10YA wouldn't make sense in-universe. The ToQger returns movie takes place in the year 2025 and has flashbacks from 2015. So they technically already did a 10YA for ToQ. So unless they want to replace an already canon movie, how are they going to make sense of making another 10YA...? Other than just celebrating the 10th anniversary in the real world maybe.
I always like Riria's stuff. She hasn't done much recently, but whatever she does, I always try to watch. I watched last year's DoraKoi for her. She did 2 dramas that I have watched/checked out this year: the JP remake of Blue Birthday(which also has Hama Shougo/LupinBlue in it) and "Kekkon Yoteibi".
You are correct
TokuGeek1999
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TokuGeek1999 »

TokuGeek1999
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TokuGeek1999 »

OH MY OH MY GOD!!!!
https://twitter.com/shin_nagahama/statu ... NGl2Q&s=19
SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT LATER TODAY!

Return to “Ressha Sentai Toqger”