This is the story of a gold wolf furry and his adventure with all his friends
Mxylv
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Makai Language

Post by Mxylv »

Looks like the Makai language symbols form a functional cipher! The HwTM stone's inscription being read aloud helped me get through Mutsugi's message in HwTM #1; between those two, all that are missing are L, P, Q, V, and X. The only one of those that natively appears in Japanese is P--we only have C due to "CH"--so the most likely option for the others would probably be a Horror name or something.
Decoded HwTM #1 Message
Fun facts:
(1) After reading the letter, Ryuuga asks, "Hametsunomon ga hiraku da to?" as if quoting, but the word "hiraku" never appears in the text.
(2) The word "kankatsu" was missing an A (at least, I think it's an A), meaning either Mutsugi made a typo in-world, the CG artists didn't double check it because no one in their right mind would spend time decoding this, or both.
I've also made a font of what we have so far, though I'm considering it a WIP until we at least find P
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, HwTM, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: Makai Language

Post by Lunagel »

Wait, is this a new makai alphabet or the same one since the first?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

That's pretty neat. Have you guys looked at past shows to see if it's the same?
Mxylv
Humongous
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

Judging from a couple screenshots, it looks like they're the same. I wasn't able to find any keys or related work, so I just started the attempt from scratch. I was surprised that I couldn't find anything relevant, though; has it been worked out elsewhere?
Watching:

Watched:
Donbrothers
When in doubt,
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

This is the first I've heard of someone attempting to translate it. I always assumed it was gibberish
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

yeah ditto, I didn't think they actually designed a whole new alphabet. But then again I'm pretty sure they've always just read everything in makai language aloud, so there wasn't really any need to transcribe?
Mxylv
Humongous

Post by Mxylv »

Decided to try and transcribe the stone tablet from the latest episode; no idea if the info actually spoils anything, so tagging just in case.
Tablet Transcription
3/13/24 second pass
Some parts are definitely more accurate this time, but only time will tell for sure
Definitely didn't get everything right this time ("yi" isn't a valid Japanese letter and the best I could make of "jduyu" was some kind of a typo for づゆ/djuyu/zuyu), but I'm pretty happy as long as I got the basic meaning right.
Last edited by Mxylv on Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Watching:

Watched:
Donbrothers
When in doubt,
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

Hmmm, I think it's definitely prophesizing something to come in the show. It'll probably pop up in later episodes, we'll see how well you did lol
Mxylv
Humongous

Post by Mxylv »

Progress update--the Forbidden Fruit anatomy page gave us the letter P (from はっぱ/happa/leaves), the last Japanese letter missing! I've updated the font with this, alongside a hyphen (found in the forbidden fruit's right-hand text wall) and a more accurate letter S.

I decided to take a look at the fruit page itself, though the blotchiness and the how ancient the Japanese itself was styled (despite their using the English ゲート/gēto for "gate") meant I could only translate about half the contents and had to make a lot of guesswork, but here's what I ended up with--again, potential (though likely pretty minor by this point?) spoilers:
日本語
人界と魔界を積むぎりゲートのはぜまに
実りし果実口にし者は
世のここわりを見据えし知恵を受け
すべてを現象を統べる力を得る__禁断の
果実は長き時をかけ実ぞ乱をだれ
その未人の陰我より開きしゲートには未のはず乱れる
人界に封印されしゲートのうちに宿ると弛れる否。
禁断の果実口にし者その姿を見たものも居らず
実の容姿その実の味を知る者はいない。
その実古より伝承されし絵空事とくたえられる。
その実人界に伝わりし全地全ののうの神伝説
が起源とされてる出るつ人界と神界の双方のーーーち___
守護支配する王であり人界も神界も父を奪われる
出るつ た の 役目を有し____の異名で
全宇宙の気障を支配し_____ と呼ばれし武具を
有したその__神界最強の謳われし強大な力…
English
Those who eat the fruit that grows between the gates of the human world and the demon world will receive wisdom as they look ahead to the troubles of the world.
The forbidden fruit, from which one can obtaining the power to control all phenomena, ripens for a long time to bring about chaos. The fruit will be found when the gate is opened.
No one has ever seen the forbidden fruit, and no one knows what it looks like or how it tastes.
It has been handed down since ancient times and is considered to be a fairy tale. The tale of the God of all the earth has been passed to our world [oh hi That Toei Show], and the fruit is said to have originated from both the human world and the divine world.
When a king who protects and rules the human and divine worlds' father will be taken, he fulfills his role and is known as ____, who rules over all the troubles in the universe and is called ____. Whoever possesses the mighty [either "armor" or "weapon"] that is said to be the strongest in the divine world...
UPDATE: My thoughts on what it means
Pretty much the only story-relevant information appears to be the bit about someone losing their father, which is way more direct than the tablet last ep was. That suggests that Souma's a more integral part of Mutsugi's plan than just being an emotionally volatile knight. This may recontextualize the flashback itself--Mutsugi knew Godou had a son in training, so her whole reason for coming with him (or else her goal after her temptation) may have been to get him out of Souma's life at a crucial location in an attempt to kick-start the prophecy and force destiny onto her side. Come to think of it, nearly everything she's done after that is be very selective about who fulfills which parts of her goal for her, so attempting to do so with a prophecy wouldn't be out of character.
Those last missing words appear to have been smudged, very deliberately, to annoy me personally. But hey, I know more than I should now, so I'd consider it a win. I'm going to check what I can make of that portion of the Gate of Destruction page later, but some of the text from a cursory look seemed a little similar to what the stone tablet said.
Watching:

Watched:
Donbrothers
When in doubt,
Mxylv
Humongous

Post by Mxylv »

Gate of Destruction page--unlike last time, only a fraction of each line was showing, so the below lines may not connect correctly or even make sense, but I think there's some information to be gained from it nonetheless. The most notable term for me is honoobito/炎人, which I'm dubbing "The Man of Flame" (the actual term's gender-neutral and could refer to any character, but I'm going with whatever sounds the most ominous)
日本語
されども
命を与えられ
魂魄を
求めそれいざなうを
光恐れ忌み嫌う魔獣よけずいし
する光の民抗えない宿命を決死
刃も時が流れた炎人を呼ばれる
姿のもの陰りに隠れすみ光
忌み嫌われていた意な炎人おのが縢り
多説の陰我払った枳実を用いてじゃ
に一夜に希望が訪れた炎人
用いて多説を徹し君臨せし破滅ノ門
長き時を経て炎人数多のは
破滅ノ門の邪神を
炎人が封いられし門を安置した
永久の迷ひゅうあり微すを
その迷宮所在を金肥
混沌を世の再来封印する
魔戒の民陰りに怯えし光
忌まわしきじゃの印を生み
魔の理を慣行
その使命隱密とし之くす
民の邪神がゲートとし一夜に
闇に生まれ闇に忍び
希望の光と
English
However
given life
soul
Ask for and invite it
A demonic beast that fears and abhors light
The people of light are determined to overcome their irresistible fate.
The blade also [has something to do with] the Man of Flame, from a time long past.
A light hidden in the shadows
The detested, abominable Man of Flame was joined [presumably with/to something]
Using the truth behind various theories
Hope came to the Man of Flame in one night
The Gate of Destruction that reigns through multiple theories
After a long time, [“there are many Men of Flame” or “the Man of Flame (verb) many (direct object)]
The evil god of the Gate of Destruction (as a direct object)
The Man of Flame placed the sealed gate
A trace of eternal confusion (as a direct object)
Find the location of the labyrinth
Seal the chaos back into the world
The light that made the Makai people fear darkness
Produces an abominable mark
Practice magic
Its mission is secret
The people's evil god turned it into a gate in one night
Born in the darkness, stalking in the darkness
With the light of hope
AI-translated
however
given life
the spirit of the soul
I seek it and it leads me to it
to repel light and repel the demonic beasts that fear and loathe it
the people of the light, determined to die to a fate they cannot resist
time has passed, even the blade is called the flame man
the light that hides in the shadows of the form of things
the flame man, the flame man of the abomination, the flame man of the abomination, the flame man of the abomination, the flame man of the abomination
with the trifoliate fruit that dispelled the shadows of many theories
Hope came to the flame man in the night
He used his many tricks to reign, the Gate of Destruction
Long time has passed and the flames are many
The evil god of the Gate of Destruction
The flames have sealed the gate and enshrined it.
The eternal labyrinth.
The location of the labyrinth is now known as Kanehi.
Chaos is sealed in the world's return
The people of the Makai warriors, frightened by the shadows and the light
They give birth to the sign of the abomination of the abomination of the abomination
Practice the truth of evil
Its mission is secret and unexplained
The evil god of the people became the gate, and in one night
Born in darkness, creeping in darkness
with the light of hope.
Translated with DeepL.com (free version)
It also struck me that some parts of the stone tablet may have been wrong; "kami" may have been "tami," in which case the god-protector may have referred to a people of light instead of a god, and I'm guessing that "honoo-biho" is actually "-bito"/the Man of Flame; I've updated that post with the results of a second go-through.

Side note, but I really appreciate that the team, despite no clear evidence of translation attempts, decided to write unique lore for this and put it in anyway
Watching:

Watched:
Donbrothers
When in doubt,
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

The one thing that Garo has consistently been fantastic at, A+, stellar, no notes, is the aesthetic. And a huge part of that is the set/props/costumes. Time and time again, even if the story was kinda shit, the production staff have given us some of the best world building I've ever seen. So yeah, I'm not surprised that they wrote lore for this in a language no one can read, but I am still massively impressed.
Mxylv
Humongous

Post by Mxylv »

Very much agreed; from what I've seen, whatever they end up doing, it's clear they committed to it

Update re. the Forbidden Fruit page: I just noticed the OP includes a few frames of a more detailed view of some of the earlier text; combining it with the first image gave something more consistent, but more historical than prophetic--which is probably a good thing, since we're so near the show's end anyway.
日本語
人界と魔界を積むぎしゲートのはぜまに実りし果実口にし者は世の事わりを見据えし知恵を受け。すべての現象を統べる力を得ると言う禁断の果実は長き時をかけ実らんをされ。その実人の陰我より開きしゲートには実らずみっされず人界に封印されしゲートのうちに宿る。禁断の果実口にし者その姿を見たものも居らず、実の容姿その実の味を知る者はいない。

その実古より伝承されてものし絵空事と伝えられる。その実人界に伝わりし全地全ののうの神出るつが起源とされてる出るつ人界と神界の双方の秩序。守護支配する王であり人界も神界も父と歌われる。出るつ たの役目を有し天空神の異名で全宇宙の紀章を支配しケラウノスと呼ばれし武具を有した。その武具神界最強の謳われし強大な力を有した出るつ。狙うのすを機会し時たち待ち世...
English
Those who taste the fruit that grows between the gate where the human and Makai worlds meet will receive wisdom as they look ahead to the affairs of the world. The forbidden fruit, which is said to give the power to control all phenomena, ripens over a long time. It is said that the fruit does not grow in gates opened by humans' Inga, but resides in a Gate sealed in the human world. No one has ever been seen who has tasted the forbidden fruit, and no one knows its appearance or taste.

The fruit is considered a fairy tale passed down since ancient times. It is said that the fruit was passed down to the human world, and that its origin is the god of the whole earth and the whole world, who formed the order of both the human and divine realms. He is a king who protects and rules, and is sung as the father of both the human and divine worlds. The role he took was known as the Sky God, who ruled over the entire cosmos and possessed an armament known as Keraunos*. This armament is said to be the strongest in the divine world and possesses immense power.

*κεραυνός, ancient Greek (keraunós, “lightning, thunderbolt”).
I got a bit further this time and filled a lot of blanks, though there was still quite a bit else there. As it is, though, it kind of feels like someone was basing their writing on Genesis and then someone told them to switch to Greek myth halfway through without letting them rewrite the rest of the overview. The most noteworthy later line I found suggested keraunós was armor rather than a weapon, as the Japanese word could mean either--蒲も有した防具としてケラウノスの力を皮層/"The power of Keraunos is applied to the skin as a protective armor"--but I'm guessing each kanji's meaning, and the rest of the writing suggests a weapon to me, so I'm not really sure.
Watching:

Watched:
Donbrothers
When in doubt,
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Saejima Kouga »

Spoiler
The lightning bolt part explains something shown in the preview.
So the fruit would be like the fruit of the tree of knowledge in Genesis. Interesting find!
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.

Return to “Garo”