Survey: All-time best episodes for TN subs?

If your problem doesn't fall within the three sub-categories, please use the Feedback Forum above
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Survey: All-time best episodes for TN subs?

Post by takenoko »

So our 6th anniversary is coming up in October. WoZ had the idea of coming up with a showcase of some of the best episodes from TN subs and rereleasing them on the anniversary. To do that, we're having a mini-contest to decide which are the top episodes of all time from our subs

Rules:
-I'm going to go ahead and say no last episodes. The idea behind this is to create renewed interest in our older series.
-Another thing is that it should be something from the first 5 years of TN (there's no point in picking something as recent as this year, since those are fresh in people's minds)
-Only one submission per person. If forced to pick only one episode, it'd force people to put more thought into their pick
-Episode numbers, no episode titles

To submit, either post to this forum or e-mail it to me (takkynoko@yahoo.com) the following information:

1) Series name
2) Episode number
3) About 2 paragraphs or more to explain why this should be considered the best. Use a spoiler box if answering this on the forums.
Kamen Rider Gumo
Faiz
Favorite series: Zyuranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
Dreamy: Reiko Chiba
Favorite Actor?: Takaiwa Seiji
Favorite Band: Twisted Sister
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: DragonBall Z
Quote: "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest...is silence..."
Type: ENTJ Fieldmarshal

Re: Survey: All-time best episodes for TN subs?

Post by Kamen Rider Gumo »

SERIES: Kamen Rider Blade
EPISODE: 14
REASON:
Spoiler
This is the episode where Tachibana's girlfriend, the one link he had to anything resembling a normal life, was brutally and savagely taken away from him by the Peacock Undead. It marked a turning point for the character as well as the point where the series really started to pick up steam.
In addition to that, it was the first solid hint we would get about the series' fourth Rider, Leangle, which served to shake up the series more than any other 'Dark Rider' I've seen in a KR series to date, which makes it doubly notable and worthy of the title.
Yuusha
7X
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider AGITO
Dreamy: Anna Nagata
Favorite Actor?: Shigeki Hosokawa
Favorite Band: SHAKA LABBITS!
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Io Shirai
Quote: "Even if one evades the fangs of the Dragon by soaring high, they are drawn in by its furious winds, then are shredded by the claws"

Post by Yuusha »

Series: GARO
Episode: SMILE
Spoiler
Reason: SMILE is such a brilliant departure for Toku. Presenting the events of GARO upto episode 13 as a dream sequence from the female lead's perspective is totally original. The fact that it was presented as a stage play only made it that much more fascinating. It really bridges the first 13 episodes and the rest of the series. It is a piece that relies heavily on the performance Mika Hijii (Kaoru), as she is the only character onstage/on-camera from start to finish. The fact that Hiroki Konishi (Kouga) remains an offscreen character who is only mentioned by other characters, further shows that GARO has such incredible depth that you don't need the main character to even make an appearance.

I was torn between this and episode 45 of Kamen Rider HIBIKI
Spoiler
(Dying a Glorious Death Zanki!) since that was one of the most emotional episodes of HIBIKI but... it needs to be viewed with episode 44 (Forbidden Secret) to get the full impact. So Smile is the winner for stand alone.

James
ByronDZero
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
2nd Favorite Series: Super Sentai
Dreamy: Yuriko Shiratori
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Favorite Band: Monkey Majik
My boom: One Piece

Post by ByronDZero »

Series: Kamen Rider Blade

Episode: 35

Spoiler
Kenzaki achieves King Form & uses it to destroy the artificial undead which nearly ripped the other riders a new one. Seeing the very 1st Royal Straight Flush still gets my heart pumping
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Saejima Kouga »

GARO
8 & 22
Spoiler
Episode 8 is the one that has the woman (Mayumi!<3) whose husband died and she started killing people and removing their fingers out of grief. Though it was weird and freaky, this episode was heart touching because of the depth that the lady's character has. She missed her fiance/husband to the point of she went psychotic. It was a beautiful episode, and had one of the most memorable horrors in GARO.

Episode 22 is the one where Episode 8's father comes in. He has the gun that can turn people into horrors. He's very enraged and seeking revenge and tries to kill Kouga. Then after eating the soul of the horror that was once his daughter, he felt her pain and realized that Kouga saved her. It was also heart touching in a sense, and had some nice action.

I think since these had powerful meanings and messages in them, but weren't revolved around Kouga and Kaoru, that they should be used for the special whatever we're doing.
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
lonegamer7
Save the life
Favorite series: Transformers
2nd Favorite Series: Mythbusters

Post by lonegamer7 »

Series: Transformers Galaxy Force
Episode: 48 "Forever the Watcher Over Space-Time"
Reason:
Spoiler
One of my top episodes, and the only TF episode - of any series to date - to actually make me cry (I hadn't watch the '86 Transformer: The Movie till picking up the 20th anniversary release). Here, we have the Cybertrons trying to find a way back home to save others' lives and unfortunately, almost all options available to them is gone. All but one, which comes at a cost to one of the mechs who has become quite dear over the series' progress. Even knowing the result, it pulls the heartstrings. It's like the episode echoes that line in the opening song to Headmasters as sung by Kageyama Hironobu: "We'll leave this beautiful universe for those we love."

Transformers Victory episode 29, "Awaken, Victory Leo!" was a close second, but that's because I'm a sucker for TF/human interactions.
Spoiler
And how Jean didn't give up on trying to reach Victory Leo and actually succeeding, as well how GENTLE Victory Leo was when picking up Jean, yet a little rough while rescuing Holi.
Last edited by lonegamer7 on Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shado Kabuto
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Faiz Kabuto Blade
2nd Favorite Series: Den-O Deka Magi Bou

Post by Shado Kabuto »

Episode 46
Boukenger

Spoiler
This episode was my all-time favorite of Bokeunger. It was the final confrontation of Yaiba and Masami. Yaiba let Masami lived when he killed his group during their treasure hunt. Masami grew angry and wanted take revenge against Yaiba. So Yaiba stole the Three Headed Dragon of Darkness to plunge the world into darkness.

Masami confronted Yaiba and fought their last battle on the top of a building. Yaiba and Masami fought hard eventually Yaiba lay a critical blow on Masaumi, but Masaumi uses his Hammer Dynamite to killed Yaiba after he said final words. This episode was the best and most sought revenge driven subplot I have seen in Sentai.
I walk the path of HEAVENS
Thanks Guile for the Kabuto Avy's and Signatures
thanks bauffie for the sig.
zeronos_potato_form
Go Go!
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kiva
Dreamy: Saki
Favorite Actor?: Hidenori Tokuyama
Favorite Band: Tetra-Fang

Post by zeronos_potato_form »

Kamen Rider Den-O 28
Spoiler
Most saddening starting, when all excepy momo is about to disappear due to the movie climax scence. LOLX I nearly cried sia... but all end up a happy ending... And watch momo cry

OR (if Den-O is too new)
Kamen Rider Kabuto 35
Spoiler
The truth about ZECT? What the hell is going on? Not all about alien come, alien die? TRUTH ABOUT TO REAVEAL. PRESENTING: The 1st apperance of native

If the top cannot due to any reasons
Last Try: Kamen Rider Kabuto 46
Spoiler
Death of our favorite emeny spieces, a allies, a comdy. Dedicated to: Kamishiro Tsurugi Kamen Rider Sasword

And the last last one
Spoiler
Crazy la. That all cause I really out of brain juice
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

A) See rules, one submission
B) Avatar: Way too fucking big
riderkicker
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Jetman
2nd Favorite Series: BLACK
Dreamy: Hikawa
Favorite Actor?: Hosokawa
Favorite Band: FoC
My boom: King! Ha!

Post by riderkicker »

I actually don't know. I can name a FAVORITE episode, but not one for the work the team did. (That's pretty hard, as a good deal of the time it is spot on.)

Lemme think... I think I'll go with that storyarc in Kabuto where Tendou had to pwn a Worm in cooking.
And at that Albie cried a single tear which turned into a jelly bean all the colors of the rainbow! And
suddenly...Albie wasn't racist anymore!!!
Deka_Hero
Humongous
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Quote: I DEMAND THINGS TO BE AWESOME! - Michel Bay

Post by Deka_Hero »

Kamen Rider 555 (Fiaz)
Epsiode 33

Spoiler
This Episode was very emotional, as a Main Character, Mari, who i had personally grown very fond of, died because she could see the good in anyone. A Few episodes before, an old friend of her's became a Orphenoch, she refused to believe he had become a savage monster, and she tried to reason with him. it seemed to be working until he suddenly attacked her, leavening Mari fatally wounded.

And in this episode, she died of her injurys, a truly shocking moment for me. I felt the disbelief and sadness that Takumi and Kentaro felt at that moment (though to a lesser extent of course). After this (over the next couple of episodes) everyone greaves for her, and Takumi basically sell's his soul to the devil to bring her back. She was revived a episode or two later, but it's this episode than really got the emotions flowing.
Last edited by Deka_Hero on Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
SailorCallie
There are four lights!
There are four lights!
Favorite series: PGSM
2nd Favorite Series: Yu-Gi-Oh!
Dreamy: Ryo Bakura
Favorite Actor?: Kevin Smith
Favorite Band: The Cringe
Alignment: Lawful Evil
My boom: Macross

Post by SailorCallie »

Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon
Act 24

Spoiler
In the lobby area, Sailor Moon struggles down the stairs but loses her balance and falls down the last few steps. Tuxedo Mask rushes up to her and yells at her for being stupid. She snaps back, then suddenly freezes, realizing it was a replay of her earlier conversation with Mamoru in the crosswalk. Wondering why she didn't realize before, she slowly reaches up and removes Tuxedo Mask's mask, and reveals him to be Mamoru. The two of them stare at each other silently, seemingly frozen in place.
gatoronfire4lord
Infinity
Favorite series: Akibaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Decade
Dreamy: Maya (Kiva)
Favorite Band: Avalon

Post by gatoronfire4lord »

Kamen Rider Den-O
Stop 44

Spoiler
This episode is so well written from an emotional standpoint. It was just revealed that fighting the evil Imagin could make the good Imagin disappear as well. Ryotarou makes the decision to fight by himself and forbids the other Imagin to fight with him. Kohana realizes that all Imagin could disappear but suddenly realizes she isn't okay with that. Ryutaros is saddened by the news and wonders if he's needed. Momotaros is angry because he wants to fight anyway, and has to convince Ryotarou by beating the snot out of him. The team re-commits to each other and fighting evil at ANY cost.

This was the episode that really started off the final arc. It felt like an "Are you in or not?" episode, where the good guys realize there is likely an ultimate cost to doing what's right but do it anyway. The strength of Ryoutarou's character really shined here. That's why it's perhaps Den-O's best episode, and definitely one of the best TV-N subs in the last 5 years.
Bauffie
Save the life
Dreamy: Nakatsu Shuichi
Favorite Actor?: Matsuyama Kenichi
Favorite Band: Gazette
My boom: Hayami's trendy hat

Post by Bauffie »

Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger
Episode 13
Spoiler
I think that this is one of TVN's earliest release and a 'remake' of it would fit the anniversary theme. I couldn't remember an episode that is about the team as whole other than the final ones, so I chose one of the rare episodes that is centered around Boss(he transforms for the first time... and he wear shades! :D). We get an epic fight(DekaMaster vs 100 alienizer) and a sweet scene between Boss and Swan-san. We have a taste of this series' main focus that is character development with the portrayal of the serious side of a justice defender and his sentimental side. Also, all individual mechas are shown, along with the Deka Ranger-Robo(and Murphy :0).

The cast is also interesting because of the recurring actors. Agent Abrella, the main villain, is voiced by Nakao Ryusei (Jellyfish imagin, Ladybug Fangire, ...) and Ben-G, the weekly villain, is voiced by Hiyama Nobuyuki(Wolf Imagin, Hatsuden Banki, ...). :3 Also, the actress Kikuchi Mika who will be in Go-Onger movie plays DekaPink.

Lol... I fastforwarded the episode in 10 seconds to see if I missed anything. My 5 years old nephew comes and asks if it's "Power Ranger SPD". Damn... I'm impressed at how he recognized the American counterpart from the few images that he saw. I thought kids his age thought all PR were the same. XD

P.-S. Wow... :\ That avi is big... Can't the admin/mods shrink it to at least half its size?

P.-S 2. Ah man... DekaMaster is so smexy.
victorstillwater
IXA
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Hibiki

Post by victorstillwater »

I sent an entry via email. :) I hope you get it Take-sama! :D
Victor Stillwater:
Former Professional Blogger and Tech Support Rep. Giant Robot Pilot. Kamen Rider-in-training.

Visit my NEW blog of games and geekery at http://iamstillwater.wordpress.com

Return to “Tech Support”