KyuuRanger Space.02 released

SPACE SQUADRON KITAAA!!!
Forum rules

Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger Wiki Link

< Jyuohger | KyuuRanger | Lupin VS Pat

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:23 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
53%
☆☆☆☆
33%
☆☆☆
11%
☆☆
No votes
3%

Total votes: 36
ViRGE
Save the life

Re: KyuuRanger Space.02 released

Post by ViRGE »

Welp, I'm already tired of Lucky. He needs to get taken down a peg quick, or it's going to be a long year (at least in the parts where he's talking). Though I can't figure out if "Oh it's that pattern?!" means he's genre savvy or just pulling an Akibaranger and breaking the fourth wall. Either could prove interesting...

Spock and C-3PO are a good call for Naaga and Balance. Toei is clearly riffling through major sci-fi series here for inspiration, which isn't a bad thing. That they made the human the emotionless one and the robot the overactive one is an interesting inversion of what you'd expect. At the same time I'm not sure if it's a smart thing to do in the long run; the show only has 5 face actors to begin with, and now they just "burnt" one by making him emotionless, wasting the full emoting range a proper face actor offers. At least they've lined up a good VA and suit actor for Balance, though it can't completely make up for the fact that he's a suit.

Right now most of the characters - and sadly, all of the humanoids - feel like caricatures. Lucky is dialed up to 11 constantly, Spada seems like he is always hosting a cooking show, Hame is laughing at everything inappropriately, and Naaga is an especially dry Vulcan (and Balance is C-3PO if he was even more excitable). I get the archetypes the writers are going for, but none of these characters are well grounded right now. They're not people with interesting personalities, they are the personalities.

Meanwhile we'll see if this holds up, but I like how the staff is embracing the foreign worlds concept, even if it is on a budget. They're running around an industrial plant as a stand-in for an industrial planet, and it feels right; it's not an obvious reuse of one of their standard filming locations. While urban Tokyo is nice, after Jyuohger it's a nice break to get away from it. Production is going to have to go back to the Toei lot sooner or later, but I hope they keep up this kind of variety.
takenoko wrote:I don't like the way Naaga speaks. Spock and Data didn't have emotions either, but at least they could speak fluently. Also they understood friendship on an intellectual level. The writing here makes Naaga seem like a dumb baby who's also slow on top of it. Some combination of the writing/acting is to blame for this, since I normally like characters without emotions. But this one wasn't doing it for me.
Agreed. I can appreciate that they're not making him a functional clone of Spock, but a character that speaks in a broken manner disturbs that part of the unconscious mind that processes speech and is now trying to figure out what's wrong with the guy. There's no reason he needs to speak like that.
I wasn't as impressed with the mech fight this time, but it is interesting that gold and silver's mecha already have humanoid modes.
It was a couple of quick suit shots (on an admittedly nice industrial set), followed by CGI for the rest of it. I will fully admit that I'm not a fan of heavy CGI use for mech fights, but in my book this fight didn't have anything interesting going on.
Draccy wrote:Naaga and Balance are going to be a fun duo, and it's nice to see their Voyagers are more defined and will likely operate solo a little more.
I guess that means Pink and Orange will have Voyagers in the same since, while the main five keep the robo.
Naaga and Balances' mecha aren't standard robo size, and we didn't see suits or physical models. They were pure CGI. I wouldn't expect to see them operating solo too often. They're not meant as stand-alone robos.
Gallus Faberge
7X

Post by Gallus Faberge »

I liked the episode and agree it is an improvement over the last one.

I'm already loving the Naaga and Balance duo. I hope we will see more of them.
Balance and Naaga seems to be very similar, as Balance seems to be compensating in order to get Naaga's emotions to work.

On another note, do you think the team already has the Orion kyutama? Seeing as their main ship is called the Orion gou.

btw, are we allowed to discuss Toy Catalogue pics?
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Gallus Faberge wrote: btw, are we allowed to discuss Toy Catalogue pics?
No.
Crimzonite
Mega

Post by Crimzonite »

I couldn't help but think of Mito Koumon when Gamettsui showed off his Jark Matter inrou. "Bow your head!" :P
Eternal_Winterbane
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Go-Busters
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Eternal_Winterbane »

If they keep this up with the character focused episodes (guessing after the last two members are apart of the team we'll get the first 4's backstories) I will enjoy this alot more than i expected. The mecha fight this week felt rushed and the CGI was really noticeable, but Toei never seem to hit that particular nail properly, I'm glad we got to see how the MoTW become giants but i hope we get an explanation as to why, I'm also liking Naaga and Balance, they are very unique also all the way through the episode it was bugging me as to where i had heard Balance's voice before, turns out his voice-actor voiced Parabolaloid 2 in Go-busters.
Greenstalker
Mega

Post by Greenstalker »

I think Naaga talking slow because he is a snake it is unrelated being emotionless. So we have perfect couple of the man like machine and machine like man. I don't know why but after re watching episode 1 and this episode Hame's mocking seems forced especially on this episode it feels like too sudden as if she is waiting for the last second to make the mock. Hopefully it will tone down. I am recalling that scorpio being an evil ranger at first the opening was making it a little obvious but still calling dibbs on it. The lone warrior types usually get that 'I don't share your view' or 'I can do this alone' type of thing going on but something about him rubs me wrong to the point he is being another Green Zyuranger or Abarekiller or even something like Gouraigers.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Eternal_Winterbane wrote: I'm glad we got to see how the MoTW become giants but i hope we get an explanation as to why,
They did, it was the case the governor was wearing. When it opened he became giant.
Zenuku5
Infinity
Favorite series: Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: Kurenai Wataru
Favorite Actor?: Koji Seto
Quote: Let's make this showy!
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Zenuku5 »

Lunagel wrote:
Eternal_Winterbane wrote: I'm glad we got to see how the MoTW become giants but i hope we get an explanation as to why,
They did, it was the case the governor was wearing. When it opened he became giant.
I think they more meant HOW that made them grow. Like how the gedoshuu simply had their 'second life' where they came back giant, or how the coins were 'filled with Genis cells'. I am also curious but I hope we don't wind up having to hear that explanation again every single episode. Hearing Naria repeat that same line every time got tiresome for me after awhile.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Yeah. Usually they give the explanation in the first episode it happens at least. There was one recently that didn't though and it really pissed me off.
eijiman
IXA

Post by eijiman »

Well, so far this is what i like about this series:
Robot fights are actually made so they look like giants instead of two sluggish dudes fighting.
They seem to be innovating, the suits are very different from each other if you compare it to other sentai's. for example Garou's has fur, scale has plates and such.
The different planets settings are great.
The story seems to be very interesting.
Also they avoided just being the zodiac signs.

Dislike:
Some characters are just plain annoying most of the time with their over the top personalities for example Hame with the incredible fake laugh at all momments and Lucky with his "Lucky" stuff.
TBustah!
Mega
Favorite series: Zyu to Kaku
2nd Favorite Series: Bouken to Kaizoku
Favorite Actor?: Toku? Hiroki Suzuki
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Slot cars
Quote: "The future.... is in the past! Onwards, Aoshima!"
Type: ISFP Composer

Post by TBustah! »

Balance in general is okay, but isn't one annoying catchphrase enough, Toei?

He also turned a 180 pretty quickly... I get that it's a kids' show and you only have so much time, but everything about them joining the team seemed super rushed. Maybe split it up over two or three episodes next time, reluctant heroes don't really work if they aren't reluctant.
njb
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Timeranger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze

Post by njb »

Does anyone notice that TenbinGold doesn't have lips on the helmet?
Watching:
- SS Kiramei, Deka, Ninnin
- KR Saber
Finished:
- SS Time, Shinken to Toq, Jyuoh to Ryusoul
- KR Decade to Zero-One
Shipuujin
Infinity
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by Shipuujin »

Really liking Naaga and Balance. They don't have annoying quips like Lucky does. I swear, he says "Lucky!" in the most awkward times. Balance and (ironically) Naaga actually seem more dynamic than the original 5 so far.

I liked the fighting sequences this episode. They did a good job at showing how the new characters have their own strengths, especially by showing how Lucky can flawlessly move the KyuuSword, but Balance had to change it to a Crossbow. The Naaga and Balance teamwork was great too.
I also really liked the Mecha fight this episode. It was hilarious seeing Naaga and Balance forcefully rip the arms off of KyuuRen-O.
Mxylv
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

16:49 PPAP reference?

Overall, I felt kind of indifferent about the episode, but I like both of the new characters. I liked Balance more than I thought I would, and I like Naaga's attempts to follow Balance and look cool, even though he doesn't understand the significance of what he's doing. They're still both effectively caricatures, but while Naaga's mixing up emotions could be easily overplayed, I actually didn't feel too bad about either one.

This episode's Lucky count - 14 English, 19 English + Japanese
Series Lucky count thus far - 26 English, 33 Combined

Advanced LuckyCount Breakdown:
Spoiler
“Lucky”'s by Lucky in episode 2:
  • Spoiler
    “Yossha Lucky”’s: - - - – - - - - – - - - - -8
  • Spoiler
    “Lucky!”’s, “Luck”’s: - - - – - - - - – - - 3
  • Spoiler
    Referring to his own name: - - - – - - - -1
  • Spoiler
    As an adjective: - - - – - - - - – - - - - – -2
  • Spoiler
    In Japanese: - - - – - - - - – - - - - – - - - 5
Spoiler
Total: 14 English, 19 Both

• Spoiler
    In English said by someone else: - - - – - 12
  • Spoiler
    In Japanese said by someone else: - - - – 2
Spoiler

Total including all Rangers: 26 English, 33 Both
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, HwTM, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Mxylv wrote: This episode's Lucky count - 14 English, 19 English + Japanese
Series Lucky count thus far - 26 English, 33 Combined

Advanced LuckyCount Breakdown:
Spoiler
“Lucky”'s by Lucky in episode 2:
  • Spoiler
    “Yossha Lucky”’s: - - - – - - - - – - - - - -8
  • Spoiler
    “Lucky!”’s, “Luck”’s: - - - – - - - - – - - 3
  • Spoiler
    Referring to his own name: - - - – - - - -1
  • Spoiler
    As an adjective: - - - – - - - - – - - - - – -2
  • Spoiler
    In Japanese: - - - – - - - - – - - - - – - - - 5
Spoiler
Total: 14 English, 19 Both

• Spoiler
    In English said by someone else: - - - – - 12
  • Spoiler
    In Japanese said by someone else: - - - – 2
Spoiler

Total including all Rangers: 26 English, 33 Both
Please make this a weekly thing. In fact, do one better and also add it to the Wiki. :D

Return to “Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger”