Testing 265 encoding (cq 26 added, cq 30 deleted)

Ask all tech support and help questions for playing our videos here. THERE IS NO GUARANTEE YOUR QUESTION WILL BE SOLVED!
Forum rules
First, check to make sure your file is complete by running it through RapidCRC or checking it with a torrent. If it's incomplete, the torrent will fill in the broken parts.

Don't use Quicktime, Realmedia, or WMP to play our files. Basically, they suck, and you're going to have a bad time.

Use VLC, Gom Player, or Media Player Classic with some codec packs installed.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Testing 265 encoding (cq 26 added, cq 30 deleted)

Post by takenoko »

Oh, slow is for more detail. Okay, good to konw

I think the problem with the capper is that when it broke a few years ago, the person buying the replacement parts went cheaper instead of for power. It's definitely less powerful than our original machine, unfortunately
Kamen Rider Blade
Go Go!
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Type: ENTJ Fieldmarshal

Post by Kamen Rider Blade »

I wonder if people can donate enough $ so you can get a modern ThreadRipper or even last gen ThreadRipper.

Then you can get some "Real" CPU encoding speed.

Heck, even a Ryzen 9 7950X would be a huge improvement for your encoding performance.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

This, my friends, is why I'm a console gamer lol. Threadripper? I think one of these chips cost more than the computer itself

What information would you guys need if we wanted to upgarde the computer? I assume the ram is alright as is, it's just the cpu that needs a boost? A 4000 dollar chip is not in our budget, but I think we can pick up a 500-1000 dollar one?

I'm going to keep you guys in mind, since I'm probably going to need to replace my computer next year anyway
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Since it's 10 year old hardware, there's almost nothing that can be reused. You'd need to replace everything at this point: new CPU, new motherboard, new RAM. It could probably use new storage, too, but at least that's cheap.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hYhcBL

There's room to play with things. But there's a good starting point.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

That'd be great for my personal pc, but surely we can find a cpu and just slap that into the mb of the computer we have now?

Edit: Looks like I still have my receipts from when we replaced our computer in July 2022

CPU Intel CPU Core-i5-4690 3.50GHz 6Mキャッシュ LGA1150 BX80646I54690
https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

MB BIOSTAR intel H81 チップセット搭載 Micro-ATX マザーボード [ H81MHV3 3.0 ]
https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:58 pm That'd be great for my personal pc, but surely we can find a cpu and just slap that into the mb of the computer we have now?
No. All of that internal gear is outdated by nearly a decade. Current generation tech doesn't use the motherboard, the memory, etc. That all has to be replaced if you want a modern CPU.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

So it turns out the guy who has our capper owned the cpu that parts picker says is compatible with our mb

It boosted the encode from 4.69 fps to 5.81. A 2 horu encode is now 1 hour 37 minutes. So yeah, kinda marginal savings as predicted...

I'll have to find some time to budget for a new pc next year. I assume black friday is probably the best time to buy PC parts. I don't know when the next big sale day for pc stuff would be. Guessing there won't be a mlk sale for fry's eh?
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:59 amI assume black friday is probably the best time to buy PC parts. I don't know when the next big sale day for pc stuff would be. Guessing there won't be a mlk sale for fry's eh?
Black Friday is very hit and miss. For commodity parts (RAM and storage) you sometimes land good deals. CPUs and motherboards, less so. That tends to be driven more by the product cycles; no one is going to give you a good deal on an in-demand product that just came out.

Past-holiday sales is not a bad time. Otherwise you're going to be waiting awhile for anything resembling a sale.
megamanultra
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Legos
Quote: Whatever it is, I didn't do it. (Unless of course, you like it)
Location: Somewhere, out there, in the vast deepness of spac.....er US

Post by megamanultra »

takenoko wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:59 am So it turns out the guy who has our capper owned the cpu that parts picker says is compatible with our mb

It boosted the encode from 4.69 fps to 5.81. A 2 horu encode is now 1 hour 37 minutes. So yeah, kinda marginal savings as predicted...

I'll have to find some time to budget for a new pc next year. I assume black friday is probably the best time to buy PC parts. I don't know when the next big sale day for pc stuff would be. Guessing there won't be a mlk sale for fry's eh?
In my experience, prices for computers tend to go down the most during tax season, due to trying to get those tax return dollars and to clear out inventory before new products start hitting in late Spring/early Summer.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

That's good to know. I actually picked up the cpu and mb for myself from virge's list. I'm not too sure how we're going to do the capper situation, since those parts would need to be bought in japan. Easiest would probably be through amazon.co.jp but otherwise not sure
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Let me know if you have any problem with those parts. But it should be pretty easy to slap together.

And if you have the upload bandwidth, the capper situation is less important. High complexity HEVC is only needed for distribution and storage of the final files; capper systems can easily get away with large, low-complexity files if the bandwidth is there.
vasyear
7X
Quote: don't piss on my leg and tell me its raining

Post by vasyear »

that's a good idea, no one uses SD much anymore unless it's for a phone or something
lostinbrave
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by lostinbrave »

ViRGE wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:26 pm Since it's 10 year old hardware, there's almost nothing that can be reused. You'd need to replace everything at this point: new CPU, new motherboard, new RAM. It could probably use new storage, too, but at least that's cheap.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hYhcBL

There's room to play with things. But there's a good starting point.
I was going to go build an AMD version recommendation, but looking into it it seems that handbrake, at least, and I assume does not take advantage of the Higher IPC that the AMD chips give and get 30-40% more performance from the comparable Intel chips.

It seems that in Japan chips are quite a bit more expensive.

Processor:
Intel Core i7-13700K 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor
Cost: for open box on Amazon JP 115,000 yen or 812.93 USD (I wouldn't trust open box)
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/Computer- ... ref=sr_1_4

Ironically the next tier up the Intel Intel CPU 13th Generation Core i9-13900K is only 79,000 or 558.45 USD
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/Generatio ... f=sr_1_13

Cooler:
DeepCool AK620 CPU Fan Air Cooled High Performance Dual Tower CPU Cooler
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/DeepCool- ... ref=sr_1_2
7,740 yen or 54.00 USD

Motherboard:
ASRock Z790 PG LIGHTNING ATX LGA1700 Motherboard
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/Motherboa ... ref=sr_1_1
23,900 yen 168.95 USD

Memory:
TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL32 Memory
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/FLRD532G5 ... ref=sr_1_2
19,551 yen 138.21USD

Storage:
SK Hynix Platinum P41 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/SHPP41-10 ... ref=sr_1_1
11370 yen 80.37 USD

Power Supply:
FSP Group Hydro PTM PRO 650 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/PLATINUM- ... ref=sr_1_1
15800 yen 111.69 USD

Total it's all coming out to 1,111.67 in USD 25% more in Japan.

We could probably Optimize for Japanese pricing, but not knowing the tools that people use in Japan it could be tedious. This would be pretty future proof though.
ImageImage
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I probably won't look into upgrading the shared computer till later in the year. Don't feel comfortable asking for money for that so soon after funding the servers and material costs. But that's good data for when we are ready later

I'm going to try building the computer that virge so generously put together for us and hopefully can do the higher end encoding on my end

BTW, we're using Megui to do the actual encoding. I like Handbrake fine for reencoding stuff I pirated to a more economical size, but it doesn't support avisynth script, which is how we put all our different video filters together. I dunno, Megui is what we use for encoding 264 too, so it's an old reliable for us anyway
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

It's all just a GUI front-end chaining together many of the same tools anyhow. Handbrake tries to keep things simple by only offering a limited set of features.

Conversely, if you wanted to be ultra-nerdy, you could just use command line FFMPEG and feed it the raws and AVISynth scripts.

Return to “Playback Help”