4%
4%

Total votes: 23
afbratt
Number 6
Number 6

Re: Boonboomger 01 discussion thread

Post by afbratt »

so I guess we're getting an updated/modifed looking Bearrv as one of the support mecha for this season?
TokuGeek1999
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TokuGeek1999 »

v2 is much better.
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

That was a pretty good extended PV for some random Kpop boy band. However, are we going to get Super Sentai this year?

The band's use of sewing buttons for head pieces was pretty funny.
CheetahLynx
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Engine Sentai Go-Onger

Post by CheetahLynx »

takenoko wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:10 am Why are they meeting at the airport?
Because that's where Taiya was supposed to deliver Mira in the first place
CheetahLynx
I was gonna list all the series I've watched but there's a 255 character limit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Oh well.
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

Wait a minute, this was a real show? What a bad joke!

What have we learned so far? The leader (since he wears red) is a kidnapper who snatches a bride from her wedding to be taken to her old boyfriend at an airport. She is apparently unaware of this and unwilling. Along the way to the airport, convenient bad guys of convenience show up which have nothing to do with the kidnapping. These Team Rocket wanna-bes become infatuated with the kidnapped bride's wedding gown and use force to take it and turn the wedding gown into a MOTW. The bride becomes so infatuated with Red's fighting of the MOTW that she decides that she wants to kick butt as well. Since she has a stupid pun name like the rest of the super hero(?) team, she is allowed to change. The "fighting" is pretty awful. Finally Team Rocket takes off and the bride is delivered to the ex-boyfriend. The bride inexplicably apologizes instead of kicking the guy between his legs.

So, do the heroes have an excuse for their criminal behavior like the Lupin's?

Did the ex-boyfriend pay a fortune to kidnap the girl only for her to run off with the guys he paid?

Are the heroes living a life of crime because it is cool, or is it because they are losers who could not monetize their skills in any other way?

Has there ever been a Sentai season where not only was it a sausage season, but the guys were such losers that they had to kidnap a female before she decided to join them out of Stockholm Syndrome?
fartboy
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: ToQger
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Robert Baldwin
Favorite Actor?: Yosuke Kishi
Favorite Band: Do As Infinity
Alignment: Neutral

Post by fartboy »

Seems to be the end of the armored Sentai we've had for a bit now. Not just in costume design, but in pacing as well.

It's also nice we have a red that's an actual leader/boss. I swear the last time we had one was Gokaiger. Ever since then they've been equals or noobies in a fish out of water situation.
msf232
Faiz
Dreamy: 민지여신
Favorite Band: Dreamcatcher
My boom: Nothing definite, changes from time to time
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by msf232 »

fartboy wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:31 pm It's also nice we have a red that's an actual leader/boss. I swear the last time we had one was Gokaiger. Ever since then they've been equals or noobies in a fish out of water situation.
We had something in Donbrothers... but that might not have been a good thing
Finished:
Dairanger, Shinkenger, Kyoryuger–キングオージャー
Kuuga–Geats
Nexus, R/B
Ryukendo, Rescue Force
スパイダーマン
CH THE LIVE
Akibaranger, Akiba S痛
Wakusaver S2, Jyuukaizar
CPH GandD
fartboy
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: ToQger
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Robert Baldwin
Favorite Actor?: Yosuke Kishi
Favorite Band: Do As Infinity

Post by fartboy »

Oh yeah... lmao
:mrgreen: :lol:
Ghost23
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Ghost23 »

So another car theme sentai. Not loving the suit designs and story so far is kinda 'meh' but it's still early to judge. I do love the girls attitude after joining up.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

There's a lot to unpack with this series. And given how bombastic first episodes can be, I think I'm going to hold off for another episode or two before making too many judgements, since I don't have a feel for what a "normal" episode is going to be like.

Still, if the rest of the series is anything like this first episode, then this looks like a promising year. This episode had me grinning like an idiot at times, and you can't ask for much more than that out of a Sentai episode.

We haven't seen nearly enough of the main characters to make any real judgements. But I massively appreciate how this year's red isn't a hyperactive screamer. We'd have to go back to at least LuPat to get one of those (even Momoi Taro was a screamer), and farther still to Go-Busters of all things to truly get the calm-and-in-control leader type for Red. Suffice it to say, ti's been too long, and I'm looking forward to red not being an idiot.

In fact, I appreciate that, despite this being a more light-hearted series than King-Ohger, none of the main characters are (currently) running around with the idiot ball. All too often, it feels like Toei only knows how to make a series funny by making the main characters morons, and at least for the first episode, Boonboomger escapes that. Thus far, it comes off as a slightly ridiculous series with characters who play things straight, and I think that has a lot more potential to be entertaining (and avoiding being grating) than a series full of ridiculous characters.

And real, physical shooting locales! How I've missed you! I won't rehash King-Ohger here, but I am very, very glad that Sentai is back to shooting in real places and on real sets. And I like the car, especially coming from King-Ohger's lack of props.

I'm still not sure what to make of the suits, though. The busy helmets are really throwing me off, especially in contrast to such clean suits. But they work well in a fight. This episode in particular seemed to recycle a lot of stunt choreography from Kamen Rider Drive and Power Rangers RPM (which always did more with the vehicle theming than Go-Onger), but it used it effectively.

And the first giant robot fight of the series was well done (they usually are). The model work with the mini cars was on point, and I cracked up with the car alarm bit. The giant robo itself, I'm less sure of. It's basically a one-piece robo with gloves (not even arms; it has fully functional hands on its own), which isn't especially interesting. But I should see it in action some more. (And what kind of name is Boondorio, anyhow?)

Also, gyahsoline is a terrible pun. I mean, it's truly god-awful! :lol:

Overall, this series comes off as if Carranger, Boukenger, Kamen Rider Drive, and Go-Onger got freaky with each other and had a baby. I'm not sure how well that baby is going to turn out, but it certainly has some interesting genes.
takenoko wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:10 am The actor they got for the groom has an amazing face
Right? It's a bit role, but man if he doesn't nail it.
44-88. Is that number significant?
Uh, 88 is. But I really, really hope that's not what Toei has in mind. Otherwise they have some explaining to do.
Oh come on, that's just lifted from Boukenger
I can't tell from the shots in this episode. Does the Boonboom Changer actually have a wheel on the bottom, like the Accellular? Or is that purely for effect? It's been 18 too many years since Boukenger, so I don't mind them bringing back the wheel gimmick. Certainly Boukenger got some great stunts out of it.
I guess we can't permanently escape the Sentai cgi dimension
I am curious to see if that's just stock footage we'll blow through in the future, or if it will be a recurring thing. I didn't mind it in this episode, but it could get tiresome if it's a constant thing.
Man, that's a pretty cool robo suit. It's weird that it's voiced by Pikachu though
I can't help but think that someone at Toei really loves Pokemon, especially this year. Between the VA for the robo and the fact that Gotchard has kids trying to find and trap magical monsters, the Pokemon influences on SHT are hard to miss.
Kurow wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:37 am A wedding dress as a week 1 monster? ok I guess you can't complaint... we have saw it all at this point.
Hey, normally we have to get through half a season (or more) to get one of the girls in a wedding dress. This year we're getting it first-thing, so I can't really complain. :oops:
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

ViRGE wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:03 am (And what kind of name is Boondorio, anyhow?)
They don't say his full name in-show, so you don't get the full awfulness of it, but he's Boondorio Boonderas. Which, if you couldn't tell, is a really bad play on "Antonio Banderas"

Really scraping the bottom of the barrel here
Tokyo
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dengeki Sentai Changeman
2nd Favorite Series: Juspion
Dreamy: Kiramei Pink (Kiramager)
My boom: The official, yet 100% Brazilian, Juspion manga that came out.

Post by Tokyo »

The center of the first episode was not the red. Gotta love that!
CGI is trash, as usual.
I like the fighting and the characters, tho. Not so much for the villains. They're too goofy for me.
Maybe I missed something, but they let a whole bunch of vehicles get out of the garage, but only used 4 of them? C'mon Toei. I know you wanna sell toys, but put some context to it.
All in all, this first episode surprised me. I thought it'd be awful, but it's actually good. If they can keep up this energy with descent story telling, I'm all for it!
Gave it a 4/5
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Lunagel wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:31 am
ViRGE wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:03 am (And what kind of name is Boondorio, anyhow?)
They don't say his full name in-show, so you don't get the full awfulness of it, but he's Boondorio Boonderas. Which, if you couldn't tell, is a really bad play on "Antonio Banderas"
btw, I'm going with Boondorio Boomderas since if BoonBoom is named after him, that would explain the spelling convention

(just let me change all the boons to booms!)

>I like the fighting and the characters, tho. Not so much for the villains. They're too goofy for me.

With Nana Mizuki at the helm of the female villain, I think things are going to be good

>Maybe I missed something, but they let a whole bunch of vehicles get out of the garage, but only used 4 of them? C'mon Toei. I know you wanna sell toys, but put some context to it.

Oh, I didn't even notice that. Guess that's gonna be stock footage

>There's a lot to unpack with this series. And given how bombastic first episodes can be

I see what you did there

>But I massively appreciate how this year's red isn't a hyperactive screamer. We'd have to go back to at least LuPat to get one of those (even Momoi Taro was a screamer), and farther still to Go-Busters of all things to truly get the calm-and-in-control leader type for Red.

But Don Momotarou is right there

>In fact, I appreciate that, despite this being a more light-hearted series than King-Ohger, none of the main characters are (currently) running around with the idiot ball.

ugh, that ball

>Also, gyahsoline is a terrible pun. I mean, it's truly god-awful! :lol:

I didn't catch that, so big thanks to a qcer for pointing that out
takenoko wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:10 am The actor they got for the groom has an amazing face

Apparently he's a suit actor of all things. So he's not normally a face actor, I don't think? He's got big, Eustace from Narnia vibes

>Certainly Boukenger got some great stunts out of it.

Boukenger had some legendary shots with the wheel, and I'm sure these will be good too. /me sets a countdown till someone spins it with a bullet flying by
Man, that's a pretty cool robo suit. It's weird that it's voiced by Pikachu though
I can't help but think that someone at Toei really loves Pokemon, especially this year. Between the VA for the robo and the fact that Gotchard has kids trying to find and trap magical monsters, the Pokemon influences on SHT are hard to miss.

I'm sure the executive reasoning amounts to nothing more than "Pokemon sure kicks our ass in ratings. Let's borrow their stuff like Palworld"
Tokyo
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dengeki Sentai Changeman
2nd Favorite Series: Juspion
Dreamy: Kiramei Pink (Kiramager)
My boom: The official, yet 100% Brazilian, Juspion manga that came out.

Post by Tokyo »

We have an evil monster who is always asking for marriage in a threatening way. Reminds me of my ex girlfriend.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Lunagel wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:31 am

Really scraping the bottom of the barrel here
*blinks*

An Antonio Banderas reference in 2024? Really? :shock:

Don't get me wrong, I like the guy. But the peak of Banderas' popularity was 20 years ago; so this is a very dated reference. What an odd choice to go for with a name...

(Plus, if you're going to name a robot after an action movie star, it seems like you should have picked someone who played a robot)
takenoko wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:01 pm >There's a lot to unpack with this series. And given how bombastic first episodes can be

I see what you did there
I know you'll never believe me, but that was purely accidental. :oops:
>But I massively appreciate how this year's red isn't a hyperactive screamer. We'd have to go back to at least LuPat to get one of those (even Momoi Taro was a screamer), and farther still to Go-Busters of all things to truly get the calm-and-in-control leader type for Red.

But Don Momotarou is right there
The moment Taro transformed, he yelled at everybody. If it wasn't for his low-key demeanor when he wasn't transformed, he would have easily been one of the loudest reds in Sentai history. And that's no easy feat!
takenoko wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:10 am
Apparently he's a suit actor of all things. So he's not normally a face actor, I don't think? He's got big, Eustace from Narnia vibes
"Has anyone told you that you have a ridiculous face? Here, put on this foam rubber mask to hide it!" :lol:
I'm sure the executive reasoning amounts to nothing more than "Pokemon sure kicks our ass in ratings. Let's borrow their stuff like Palworld"
You're likely correct. I'm just a bit surprised by the suddenness of it all. We've gone from no Pokemon influence to a whole lot of Pokemon influence in a very short period of time.

Return to “Tire People”