Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Game of Thrones Season 8 Episode 06

Post by takenoko »

Ah a dead kid, what a good start

Why are you going alone Tyrion? What is the point of going alone?

Jaimie and Cersei confirmed dead. I swear that I thought Cersei would jump out at him at the start of the scene though. Still disappointed that Jaimie didn't kill her.

Those are some long ass steps. Ooh, love the shot of Danny coming out with the demon wings.

What was the plan there, Tyrion? To be a moral martyr?

Arya has great expressions so far.

Tyrion has a nice cell.

Jon, get your head out of your ass.

Remember... that's not snow...

Seriously, this is how Danny dies? No agency, no chance to fix her mistakes?

Also, don't be Jon Snow's lover.

Why's Drogen melting hte iron throne? Does he understand symbolism too?

Who the hell is this guy talking?

Sam, nice try bringing democracy to Westeros

Bran, the boy who lived...

Why Bran the Broken? That sounds so wrong...

Oh man, I burst out laughing when Tyrion decreed that Jon would be sent to the night's watch.

Brienne, you forgot to write "died stupidly protecting his queen. Completely unnecessary. Basically threw his life away for no reason, undoing all his character growth."

Those most expensive show on TV and we get long shots of Tyrion sleeping and moving chairs...

Yes, yes, Sam. We know you're the stand in for George.

What, Bron is master of coin? Ah Bron, you're the best as usual.

Ah Jon, home sweet home, eh?

Arya looks fantastic in this scene.

I guess that's an ending. Love how not only did all of Ned's kids survive, but they all ended up as rulers of every section of Westeros.

Was it me or did the female characters get especially screwed over by the last season?

I'm not going to focus on what they could have done differently for too long, since that can go in a million directions. But here's the thing, this whole series establishes Cersei as the most hateful bad guy. You want to see her suffer for what she's done to the protagonists. One thing the last season needed to do right was have her die in a way fitting for her crimes. Instead, she dies when some rocks fall on her...
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: Game of Thrones Season 8 Episode 06

Post by Catastrophe »

Gods, what a horrible ending to this show. The tenseness of the first 20 minutes was outdone by whatever came next. Bran as King? What is that small council? What is there to do at the Nights Watch for Jon? Why do they care about appeasing the unsullied when they all fuck back off to Essos at the end?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

The good moments are few and far between. The shot of the different Starks getting ready for their day at the end is kinda cool. And Arya looks good as a rogue going out for adventure.

But what a totally bloodless ending. I know it's hard to end on a high point after killing Danny and having everyone still fighting with each other at the end, but what was the point of all that again? It feels like it subverted our expectations, but in a totally thoughtless and air hissing out of a bag way.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

The only legitimately heartwarming scene in the entire episode was Brienne filling in Jamies entry into the White Book, evening adding the part about returning to Cersei even if it pained her to do so.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

I kinda feel like that line Tyrion says "well no one is very happy so I guess it's all okay" is somehow prophetic here?

It was an ending. Sure was. But it's not really satisfying for any of the characters at all and we end up with someone on the throne I don't think really anyone was rooting for or even expecting to become king. The only one who mayyybe gets any halfway decent ending is Sansa and possibly Arya but even then meh.

And frankly it's insulting that Danerys all of a sudden becomes "mad". Her whole goal this entire time was just the Iron Throne, why bother with the rest of the world? I have to wonder how much is GRRM and how much is the screenwriters.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

https://takkynoko.tumblr.com/post/18501 ... of-thrones

Did you guys see this video? I know it's supposed to be tongue in cheek, but it hits pretty close to home...
Catastrophe wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:56 am The only legitimately heartwarming scene in the entire episode was Brienne filling in Jamies entry into the White Book, evening adding the part about returning to Cersei even if it pained her to do so.
I know it was supposed to be touching, but I couldn't get into it. What would have been better is if he didn't throw his life away for no reason and Brienne's epilogue was about what she was doing, and not how she remembered this one guy she slept with one time.

>And frankly it's insulting that Danerys all of a sudden becomes "mad". Her whole goal this entire time was just the Iron Throne, why bother with the rest of the world? I have to wonder how much is GRRM and how much is the screenwriters.

I wonder if George just told that to the TV guys to fuck with them. "There's no way the TV show will end better than my books!"
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT

Post by Catastrophe »

One of Martins many criticisms of LOTR was that it was a happy ending. I have no doubt that this is probably the general endgame he has in mind.

The problem is that she goes nuts within the space of one episode. I feel like they would have benefited from having 10 episodes for both this and the previous season.
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

The books definitely benefit from being able to show everyone's thoughts in an omniscient narrator style, so maybe it'll be a better descent into madness.

I'm glad it's not Jon who becomes king because frankly I don't think he would have been anything more than a mediocre one, but I'm a bit pissed that the Unsullied just kinda fuck off back to nowhere without a word even, and the Dothraki don't even get a mention.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Catastrophe wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:53 pm One of Martins many criticisms of LOTR was that it was a happy ending. I have no doubt that this is probably the general endgame he has in mind.

The problem is that she goes nuts within the space of one episode. I feel like they would have benefited from having 10 episodes for both this and the previous season.
But the ending is so dumb on a meta level. It feels like they tried so hard to subvert expectations that it's just bland and borderline doesn't make sense.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT

Post by Catastrophe »

I agree with you both 100%.

I like how Jon gets to fuck off back to the North and hang out with Tormund and Ghost. I wish he got to make that decision himself to go do it after everything he had been through.

Subverting expectations for the sake of it isn't smart or interesting if the build up and payoff aren't earned.
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

https://www.comicsands.com/got-new-theo ... 90696.html

I'm not quiiiite sure that's how the succession would go but it does make some sense.

Return to “TV”