TV-Nihon 2020 Feedback thread

If your problem doesn't fall within the three sub-categories, please use the Feedback Forum above
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

TV-Nihon 2020 Feedback thread

Post by takenoko »

We just had a staff meeting and a few issues came up

Making our torrents work with Nyaa's tracker
Currently we can't because our tracker requires our url be first while nyaa's require's theirs to be first. I think this is just something we'd need to set in our tracker software but anyone know anything about that?
http://www.tvnihon.com:6969/announce
http://nyaa.tracker.wf:7777/announce

Updating our encoding process
Like what's the current demand for h265 encodes? Should we increase the bitrate to improve the quality of the videos?

Training people to be timers/typesetters
Obviously we have a dearth of typesetters at the moment. Would people be interested if on occasion we posted some code and explained how the effects worked? Maybe we can convert the Wiki forum into a general programmer lounge?

Any other feedback that people have currently?
If it's just requesting we do X project, we do have a thread for people to submit project requests
Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Dreamy: Koyomi / Rian
Quote: Lost in Thoughts All Alone

Favorite Super Sentai : Goseiger / Kyoryuuger / ToQger / Kyuuranger
Favorite Kamen Rider : Wizard / Gaim / Ex-Aid / Build / Zero-One
Favorite Garo : Yami Wo Terasu Mono / Gold Storm Shou / Kami No Kiba

Re: TV-Nihon 2020 Feedback thread

Post by Mandalori »

Having page on the Wiki that explain how you do your work (timing, encoding, typesetting, etc) so people have a support to be able to help you.
Explaining the whole process so people can do it on their own so more people will be able to help.
Tokyo
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dengeki Sentai Changeman
2nd Favorite Series: Juspion
Dreamy: Kiramei Pink (Kiramager)
My boom: The official, yet 100% Brazilian, Juspion manga that came out.

Post by Tokyo »

Mandalori wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:40 am Having page on the Wiki that explain how you do your work (timing, encoding, typesetting, etc) so people have a support to be able to help you.
Explaining the whole process so people can do it on their own so more people will be able to help.
That's a great ideia! I know nothing about computers so I can't even begin to help. If there is a page explaining some stuff, maybe more people can give you little helps here and there...

Also, I'd love to see more old school series being subbed. There is a lack of series from the 70s, 80s and 90s with good subs out there.

Anyhow, your website is awesome! You guys should be very proud of what you do!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I wrote kind of a generic description of how the process work. Feel free to ask questions:

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=24414
Dark Ren
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Zi-O
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: Heeeennnssshhhiiiiiiinnn...!!!

Post by Dark Ren »

Maybe update status for side-projects?

for example the status of old project like PGSM DVD, Kabuto HD, Blade 60 fps, etc

While I know it could add unnecessary question from people like asking when it finished or something, it can also help people who have certain skill and interested in the project to step in and help.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

PGSM, luna said she'd work on it after her project. Kabuto is infinitely stalled. You'd have to ask xiiliea about blade, but I'm guessing nothing's happening with that or she'd let us know
Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Mandalori »

I think he meant something that's permanently on the front page, like some others groups do. With what's being worked on and what's the status.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Frankly, we'd be too lazy to keep something like that updated consistently. Well, lazy is a bit harsh. Keeping a tracker update probably wouldn't be difficult to do, but it would take away from time actually working on the stuff. It wouldn't take that much time, but if I have like 15 minutes of free time one day, I'd rather spend that working on a sub than checking in and seeing what the progress is for each project. Hopefully that makes sense
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Nope, I'm going to embrace the lazy label, I am definitely too much of a bum to consistently keep it updated
Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Mandalori »

takenoko wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:49 am Frankly, we'd be too lazy to keep something like that updated consistently. Well, lazy is a bit harsh. Keeping a tracker update probably wouldn't be difficult to do, but it would take away from time actually working on the stuff. It wouldn't take that much time, but if I have like 15 minutes of free time one day, I'd rather spend that working on a sub than checking in and seeing what the progress is for each project. Hopefully that makes sense
Unless it's the ones working on it that's keeping it updated. It could be in a thread on the forum.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Let's imagine how this would work

Timer: Timer does their timing, sends the timed script and updates the tracker, not so bad

Translator: Translator does the same, but for me after translating and typesetting Saber 2 hours, I really don't want more work draining my mental facilities

Editor: Edits the script, updates the tracker

Typesetter: Again, it varies per typesetter, but this process requires a bunch of creative work and coding, updating a tracker is probably the last thing they want to do be doing after doing their stuff

QC first pass: Here's where it'd get tricky. Would each qcer update the tracker to say they did some work on it? The translator after they've checked it off? Giong through a list of comments and updating a script and writing a response to everything can be pretty draining, again I would personally find it annoying to do an update in addition to moving the script over, setting up the encode, and updating the qc thread to put it into fqc

fqc: ditto here

Again, remember all the staff here are volunteers and no one is paid to do this. I feel like having the additional work of updating the status, as well as the judgemental time constraint of people looking at the tracker and going "why's person X holding up the project" would take the fun out of doing the stuff?

The staff here are doing this because they love the work and it's supposed to be a fun hobby for them. Sure, some projects can last a long time since people more or less do it whenever they want, but me, Davinci, Drax, and many others have got a full time job in addition to this, Luna has a kid and has paid gigs to work on, Xiiliea just got out of eye surgery and has paid gigs to work on, I could go down the list. I don't think it'd be as fun for people if outside forces were scrutinizing how the treats are made

That said, we're trying to hold each other more accountable? We just had a good staff meeting last month, and we're trying to finish up side projects as we do them (obviously some exception has to be made for our anniversary). I'm trying to get out of my job so I have more time for focusing on the group, etc. Steps are being taken to try to finish up the side projects we've started
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

My opinion has always been that you guys do this shit for free, and therefore don't really 'owe' anybody anything in regards to schedule updates for projects. I'm busy enough with work and children and can't imagine trying to do something like doing weekly subs, let alone working on some additional project.

I've always gone by the 'It'll be done when/if it's done' rule of fan translations. A little bar on the homepage showing progression doesn't make it go faster.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I mean realistically, it might make it go faster for some people, but for others it'll just cause them stress and make them put it off. No one wants to do studying if it's framed in the context of homework, but studying because you're studying something you like you'll find time for. Fun = productivity when it comes to hobbies
Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Mandalori »

How is putting something like "Kiramager 40 : in QC", or "Saber 38 : looking for the raws" mentally draining?
I think that just putting the general step where it is would be enough. The point of doing this is to stop people from asking you how it's going or when it will be done. Also, allow them to have an ETA without asking you anything since they'll be used to how long it usually take, so they'll know if it's going to take faster or longer.
It might even allow people to know what you need so they'll be able to help you without you needing to ask for it, like for the raws example above.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Because it's one more thing to do on a list of a bunch of other little things to do. Have you ever made anything in your life before?

Here's how many steps just releasing an episode includes:
-Encode the file
-Distro the file
-Make sure the file is on the seedbox ftp
-Create the torrents
-Upload the torrents to the tracker
-Seed the torrents
-Move the distro file to the release folder in dropbox
-Submit to Tokyo Toshokan
-Move the release thread to the general forums
-Find a picture for the front page
-Update the front page
-Update the Google Doc
-Update the T-N Wiki
-Update the IRC topic

Yes, we can add one more step to update the status to that and by itself it wouldn't be a big deal, but honestly, fuck that. It's neither fun, interesting, nor required and we'd probably stop keeping track after a few weeks

Return to “Tech Support”