3 anime movies in consideration for oscar nomination

Talk about Annie May here
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

3 anime movies in consideration for oscar nomination

Post by locuas »

so, there are 19 submittions from which 5 will be nominated for "best animated feature" oscar.
some of them are obvious. Frozen, Despicable me 2, Monsters University, smurfs 2(what the hell?). but there are also some foreigners this time two. incuding 3 japanese movies:
"The wind rises" from Hayato Miyazaki(which is also his last movie, isnce he retired as a director)
"A Letter to Momo" from Hiroyuki Okiura
and, shocking for me, "Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie - Rebellion".
i mean, by this point something from ghibli in consideration is no shocker, and "A letter to Momo" looks like the kind of things you could see in consideration. But Madoka? don't get me wrong, i love Madoka, and i think it is an excellent work of fiction(hell, i expect a lot out of Gaim BECAUSE of madoka), but i would think that would be the kind of thing they would overlook because...you know, some people would say it is just a magical girl movie.
even then, i am under no illusion that the movie is going to be nominated, i know perfectly well that it will probably stay as a submission. With that in mind, i would love for it to be nominated, and when it is presented as one of the nominated, to see someone's puzzled reaction to it.

If i believe one of those three is going to get nominated, that is "The Wind Rises". it is Ghibli and Miyazaki, and that's familiar enough for regular movie goers for it to have a nomination.
Edit:
source:http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-207_162-576 ... ure-oscar/
Last edited by locuas on Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: 3 anime movies in consideration for oscar nomination

Post by takenoko »

I've never even heard of Letter to Momo. Sounds like this Madoka anime is pretty good though.
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

takenoko wrote:I've never even heard of Letter to Momo. Sounds like this Madoka anime is pretty good though.
neither did i, but it seems it won a prize in Italy, so i guess it is good.

Madoka is the story of a girl who discovesr the existence of Magical girls. little girls who fight monsters known as witches(monsters in the lovecrafitan sense, btw) in order to protect the world. to become a magical girl, you need to make a contract with a creature named "Kyuubey". to make a contract, you have to make a wish, and that wish will be fufilled.

that is ALL i can tell you without spoiling the big surprise. but if you decide to watch the anime, remember, stay at least until episode 3.(they are only 12 episodes) or you may want to watch the first two movies.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I haven't seen it, but from what I have heard, Madoka is essentially magical girl Ryuki.
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

Hmm, speaking as one who has seen Madoka, it's more that it's a stark post-modernist deconstructionist approach to the magical girl genre in the same way that Evangelion was a post-modernist deconstructionist approach to the Giant/Super Robot genre.

As for the similarities to Ryuki well... That feels as saying that Pacific Rim was essentially American Eva, there are similar tropes and story arcs but that's just because those tropes tend to exist in those settings not that they were tropes that only existed in one and thus use in another would mean they are drawing from it... Also Madoka has a much better more emotional pay off than Ryuki (bias against Ryuki)
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

Kogashi wrote:Also Madoka has a much better more emotional pay off than Ryuki
I like Ryuki but, I do have to agree with this.
Also, I dunno.. Wolf Children came out fairly recently and I could see that lined up with Miyazaki films much better; but then again, that'd require people knowing what WC is. >>

Return to “Anime”