ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Pirate Sentai GoKaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Special Operations Squadron Go-Busters
Alignment: Lawful Evil

Gkids, Studio Ghibli Ink Home Entertainment Deal

Post by TorchWood »

From Hollywood Reporter:

Gkids, Studio Ghibli Ink Home Entertainment Deal
Indie distributor Gkids is partnering with Studio Ghibli to handle the famed Japanese animation studio’s catalog in North America.

Beginning Oct. 17, Gkids will begin reissuing new Blu-ray and DVD editions of Studio Ghibli’s films, with six initial titles from Academy Award-winning director and studio founder Hayao Miyazaki. They are: Howl’s Moving Castle, Kiki’s Delivery Service, My Neighbor Totoro, Ponyo, Princess Mononoke and Oscar-winning Spirited Away.
FULL ARTICLE HERE
Something happening on a show turns into a board comment.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Gkids, Studio Ghibli Ink Home Entertainment Deal

Post by takenoko »

Oh? I wonder how different the translations are going to be. If I recall, the subtitles on the Japanese DVDs are the same as the Disney's?
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

They are also showing several of them in theaters in both subbed and dubbed as Fathom Events.

https://www.fathomevents.com/series/studio-ghibli-fest
TorchWood
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Pirate Sentai GoKaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Special Operations Squadron Go-Busters
Alignment: Lawful Evil

Post by TorchWood »

From GKIDS Facebook:
A NOTE ON STUDIO GHIBLI BLU-RAYS:
First thanks to everyone for your kind words and enthusiasm!! It's surreal to have gone from owning a VHS tape as a kid to putting our logo on the same film decades later. Literally a dream come true.

I wanted to provide some quick answers to frequent questions:
- we may have gotten carried away with "ALL FILMS". The actual press release is more specific... we will now have all films in our collection except Grave of the Fireflies (always excluded due to the fact it is not represented by Ghibli in USA), and The Wind Rises, which is still new. And we are not going to re-release our current Ghibli titles (Poppy, Ocean Waves, Only Yesterday, Kaguya, Marnie). I'm proud of them, think we did a great job, and there's nothing I'd change yet.
- there will be three subtitle streams on every film: English for Japanese audio (translation), English SDH (aka "dubtitles"), and French
- if it's on the Japanese Bluray (from Ghibli), we probably have it. If it's not, sorry, I wouldn't expect to see it at this time. Old dubs, old tweaks etc. Ghibli is extremely particular about their masters and what is "studio approved." While I share some fondness/nostalgia for previous versions of things, Ghibli is particular about the dub you hear and the presentation you receive. In a good way. These editions will be "studio approved." We are carefully reviewing transfers, updating subtitles (where appropriate) and going nuts on the QC process. And pushing some buttons on requests every now and then. If you already own these releases, I don't expect a double dip... yet. We are going to try to earn it :)
- We are starting to release the catalog titles in October and will release a few new ones each month with a goal to get them all on shelves by end of Q1 2018.
- Yes this includes Yamadas on Bluray. I am really looking forward to spreading the joy of that film across the land.
- Artwork is going to be similar to previous US editions on some releases, different on others. It will be revealed this week for the October titles. Every Bluray will have a translated booklet, DVD and BD combo will have O-cards (slipcovers).
- You should all get your Kiki's Delivery Service tickets this weekend!!! English dub on Sunday / subtitles on Monday. We are going to do a great job, but the best place to see these films is still in a theater. Find a theater near you at FathomEvents.com.
Something happening on a show turns into a board comment.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Sounds good to me

Return to “Anime”