Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Kotaku's Retro Game Master

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, linking it would be against the rules.
archer9234
Faiz
Favorite series: Hurricanger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Hurricane Blue
Favorite Actor?: Patrick Stewert
Favorite Band: Project R
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Hulk Universe
Quote: "Don't get us angry. You REALLY don't want to see us angry!" - Hulk & She-Hulk

Post by archer9234 »

I just don't understand Kotaku's logic. If I where them. I'd test out subbing the whole episode, first. Before I'd even consider this really weird dub combo. Money couldn't be an issue. We are STILL hearing the original narrator. They didn't go buy the masters, to correctly remix the audio. I'm just UGH... It's like where half way back in 1999, on TV.
gopudding
Complacent masses
Complacent masses

Post by gopudding »

I'm not in the US, but I was 'lucky' enough to see the episode from a .mp4 rip. Yeah, the dubbed announcer is bad. Like, really, really bad. Subtitle timing is all messed up, and they've cut a lot of content from the episode.

Since direct links aren't allowed here for some reason, Google search 'Something Awful Game Center CX' for new fan-subbed episodes.

Pretty crazy that it's been about a year now since TV-Nihon gave up on the series.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

gopudding wrote:Pretty crazy that it's been about a year now since TV-Nihon gave up on the series.
Dude, read the front page:
Edit: People've been asking, but yeah, we do plan to do more GCCX episodes. I just want to catch up on some other projects and have them in good spots before taking them on. Thanks for your patience.
We haven't given up on it so, manage some patience.
Mister Chief NZ
Adventure

Post by Mister Chief NZ »

You can't really call someone impatient when it has been a year since the last episode was released and accompanying the last release was the quote: 'Don't worry, you won't be waiting six months for the next one'. Just saying.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Don't be a dick about it, dude. Come on. Stuff happened and I already apologized for breaking my promise. Real life doesn't always go the way you expect sometimes.

Anyway, he wasn't calling the guy impatient. He was telling the guy to be patient. Plus, the previous poster said we had given up on the series, which we have said on the front page and in this thread to not be true.

Seriously, this is from the guy who himself was caught posting things untrue last night:

First this claim:
Mister Chief NZ wrote:I'm going to guess that he knows how to pronounce Japanese names correctly.
Then a complete denial of it:
Mister Chief NZ wrote:I'm not saying it isn't. I'm saying that it is on purpose.
And then you say you haven't even watched the episode itself:
Mister Chief NZ wrote:I'm not even brave enough to watch the episode. I need to work myself up to it.
You're not exactly standing on the moral high ground yourself when it comes to making accurate claims.

You've already made two posts spamming other group's subs. If you're not here for our subs, maybe you should just go away. If we're not fast enough for you, maybe you should stop coming here and seek other sources instead of complaining about how slow we are. If you like the way we do things, maybe it's worth just being patient for it. Talking with the self-entitled people like you is kind of why I get sick of dealing with the fans. It just takes the fun out of fansubbing.
Mister Chief NZ
Adventure

Post by Mister Chief NZ »

takenoko wrote:Don't be a dick about it, dude. Come on. Stuff happened and I already apologized for breaking my promise. Real life doesn't always go the way you expect sometimes.

Anyway, he wasn't calling the guy impatient. He was telling the guy to be patient. Plus, the previous poster said we had given up on the series, which we have said on the front page and in this thread to not be true.
I completely understand that you have priorities and that you don't owe anyone anything. I'm grateful for all the work that you and others have done. I was just defending his stance that it would be reasonable for a casual visitor to think that the show had been dropped. That's all.
takenoko wrote:Seriously, this is from the guy who himself was caught posting things untrue last night:

First this claim:
Mister Chief NZ wrote:I'm going to guess that he knows how to pronounce Japanese names correctly.
Then a complete denial of it:
Mister Chief NZ wrote:I'm not saying it isn't. I'm saying that it is on purpose.
The original announcer from the Fuji TV pitch was Patrick Harlan who speaks fluent Japanese. I thought that he was still the announcer in the Kotaku version. I fail to see what I was denying there. At this point I was still acting under the presumption that he was the announcer so I said that the mispronunciations must have been a directorial choice. I then realised I was wrong and corrected myself.
Mister Chief NZ wrote:I was wrong about the announcer. They changed who it was from the original sales pitch.
takenoko wrote:And then you say you haven't even watched the episode itself:
Mister Chief NZ wrote:I'm not even brave enough to watch the episode. I need to work myself up to it.
You're not exactly standing on the moral high ground yourself when it comes to making accurate claims.
That was a joke. I had just watched a few minutes of it and was going to watch it some other time. Also, how does any of this bring in to question my moral standing?
takenoko wrote:You've already made two posts spamming other group's subs. If you're not here for our subs, maybe you should just go away. If we're not fast enough for you, maybe you should stop coming here and seek other sources instead of complaining about how slow we are. If you like the way we do things, maybe it's worth just being patient for it. Talking with the self-entitled people like you is kind of why I get sick of dealing with the fans. It just takes the fun out of fansubbing.
I thought that people like me who are fans of this show would want to know that there are other groups subbing it. Their efforts are pretty underground so it would have been easy for someone to miss and I know that if I was in their shoes I would want to know. Keep in mind I never poster any links as to respect the rules.
makere
I am the new #2
I am the new #2
Favorite series: GameCenter CX
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by makere »

strider_hiryu wrote:From Kotaku:
Brian Crecente
It will only be available in the U.S. Sorry!
It sucks, i´m from Chile so i can´t watch it.

If somebody from USA can record the episode and upload it, please do it!
This would be greatly appreciated, especially when I've been wanting the Ninja Gaiden ep subbed for ages :)
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Well, after I wrote it, I realized I was being too harsh about the matter, but Macaroni's reply was informative and polite. But you really seem to have some sort of aphasia when it comes to your own posts. My point about your quote was that it's very easy on the Internet to post something that's incorrect. I wasn't mad at you because you were defending someone's potential viewpoint, you directly misphrased what Macaroni said and made it sound a lot more accusational than it really was. From my perspective, you were just tossing a little salt in the wound for no reason and using it as an outlet for complaining about the speed of our work.

No one's getting anything out of this by being negative or fighting about it on some thread. A lot of people have been very nice about asking us to continue our work, and I appreciate that. I also appreciate that broken promises suck and I'm not trying to get out of it or deny it. It's just, I'm not going to make things better by dropping what I'm currently working on to do GCCX. There are people who have waited more than a year for some of our projects.

It's a balancing act which changes from week to week and month to month. Like we've said numerous times, just be patient, we haven't given up on the project.

About the other group's projects, for all I know, these are your groups and you're coming here to advertise for them. That's one of the reasons why we have a "no talking about other group's works" rule. Believe it or not, people come into our channel and advertise there group's works like that. This isn't the place for it. You can talk about the show, our subs, and official stuff like Kotaku's works, but that's it. This isn't a free for all advertising spot.

Edit: I'd appreciate it if people didn't post links to pirated versions of Kotaku's Retro Gaming Master here.
Battra
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultra Seven
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Tiga
Dreamy: Sakura Nishihori
Favorite Band: Akira Ifukube
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Ultra Seven

Post by Battra »

That was good it's nice to see being shown to a wider audience, but i'm kinda disappointed that they did include the any of the other segments that accompany the show. Also nice that Kotaku is leaving the show up for the season for those of us that are busy and miss the first showing.

I can see that they're trying to do the show like Ninja Warrior and English announcer to give an overview with the rest being subbed, but the narration at times just makes it sound like it's a joke dub. I think in this case i'd prefer if they just left the narration subbed especially since they didn't even mute or turn down the narration since you can hear some of it after the English.

Question for the translator's is the original narration supposed to be kinda tongue in cheek or is it done straight up, cause looking back at the ones that have been subbed it seems to come off as straight.
Defeat the Great Fire-Breathing Monster... use your Ultra Beam and... STRIKE!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Is it tongue in cheek? I actually had to think about this one, because it is supposed to sort of add to the drama. But it is, in a sense, a parody of the narration for sporting events and stuff too, I feel. I guess the narrator is playing it straight and genuinely trying to get the audience excited, but then you think about the times when you feel pretty sure that they know they're being over the top.
triple_lei
Adventure
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Goseiger
Dreamy: BoukenPink
My boom: Persona series

Post by triple_lei »

Well, I liked it. I didn't see any of the original releases, and the dub/sub reminded me of Ninja Warrior which I also liked. (I'd still prefer a full-on sub, though.)

The most grating thing was the almost-deliberate mispronunciations of the names. First with pronouncing Ryu as "Raiyu" and then cameraman 阿部 as "Abe"... like the president. :x
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

That's pretty terrible, poor A-be. I guess we should be grateful that they even mention the AD and other staff members' names.

So here's something I was wondering about aloud in chat. How much of what got put out was "this is our package from Fuji TV" and how much of it was "this is what Kotaku wants to put out". As I recall, GCCX already had Retro Gaming Master packaged up and were looking for a buyer years ago, plus the showing in New York sounds pretty similar to what Kotaku released.

I'm just wondering if Fuji TV was like "You take the dubbed narrator, no corners, these subs, or nothing at all."
TG23
Gabu
Dreamy: Hell Wolf-kun
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Killing You Guys

Post by TG23 »

In regards to the dubbing, you gotta keep in mind that alot of US viewers still aren't into reading subtitles so them dubbing the narrator/announcer guy makes sense. They probably want to minimize at least some of the reading. Plus they could have went all MXC aka Takeshi's Castle and do original dubs for it or Original Iron Chef and do faithful dubs. It's nice that Kotaku is aware enough that Arino is such a personality that it would be best to keep him in the original language. If we had to lose a voice, I could put up with losing the cool/funny narrator guy.
OMAETACHI, KOROCHU!
archer9234
Faiz
Favorite series: Hurricanger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Hurricane Blue
Favorite Actor?: Patrick Stewert
Favorite Band: Project R
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Hulk Universe
Quote: "Don't get us angry. You REALLY don't want to see us angry!" - Hulk & She-Hulk

Post by archer9234 »

But the people that wanted CX to come to the states, are watching the fansubs. That defeats the point of making it a dub. People just wanted it released legally. Those people who like dub only, most likely never cared or wanted to watch CX. Regardless. This hlaf and half doesn't satisfy either side. You still have a huge amounts of reading to do. And you have a BS dub over.

Return to “GameCenter CX”