Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

MegaRanger VS CarRanger released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Denji_Sent ... _CarRanger

Well, CarRanger certainly looks like a series. So that guy is DekaPink's ex-husband?

Always fun to see the MegaRanger crew again.
ViRGE
Save the life

Re: MegaRanger VS CarRanger released

Post by ViRGE »

Well this should be interesting...
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

i loved it. the gold tectors were a nice touch. and the chasing the carranges in their old ass car while mega ranger uses the cyber slider.
oh yeah space furby grants wishes!
~chisato's~ fantastic smile too!
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

I watched a version of this eons ago on Youtube, so I'll look forward to re-watching it when it eventually watch Megaranger! Thanks!
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Gallus Faberge
7X

Post by Gallus Faberge »

I liked it too, the Carrangers seems to be a lovely bunch. I want to see more of them *wink, wink, hint, hint*
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Gallus Faberge wrote:I liked it too, the Carrangers seems to be a lovely bunch. I want to see more of them *wink, wink, hint, hint*
Been licensed, please support the official release.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

CarRanger is fantastic series and it's great to see this special.
Monkeyjb1988
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: Time is the fire in which we burn.

Post by Monkeyjb1988 »

I have seen this teamup several times and must say it's one of the greatest ever. Very funny and even a bit heart warming (no spoilers, but I'm referring to the Carrangers' wish they have). Very action packed too. Highly recommended unless you absolutely can't stand Megaranger or Carranger (Megaranger is my favorite).

I've watched Pocket Universe's encode and I must say it looks great in HD. Obvious this was one of the films Toei went back to the film for. I'm sure TV-Nihon's subs are better, I'm just saying that, if you've only seen copies of the film taken from the DVD, you're in for a treat. Heck, if TV-Nihon used the Blu-ray for the SD copy, even THAT will look better than any copy before.

What I'm saying is download this film now... or at least as soon as you can :)
Lunagel wrote:
Gallus Faberge wrote:I liked it too, the Carrangers seems to be a lovely bunch. I want to see more of them *wink, wink, hint, hint*
Been licensed, please support the official release.
To those outside the US, sorry about that. It stinks for you, not gonna argue that. It's just TV-Nihon's head if they do Carranger other than its two teamups (don't forget Ohranger. No hurry on TV-Nihon's part, just saying Carranger has two, both unlikely to be on Shout's set)
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them

Post by takenoko »

I've got the modern sentai movie Blu-ray set, which is what this is from. So we could, but it's super unlikely that we'll have the staffing to do them.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Well that was fun. It suffered from some of the usual VS movie forced plot contrivances (someone always gets mind controlled, it seems) and the McGuffin was annoying, but it still worked in the end. It was a one-off adventure without feeling irrelevant. And it's definitely better than most of the VS movies as of late, if only because it doesn't try to be so over-the-top.

Meanwhile the Megatector was neat as a plot device. This is the first Sentai team power-up, isn't it? I can't think of anything coming before that. However putting gold chest pieces on the Megarangers looks rather garish, aesthetically speaking, especially over MegaPink.

As for the CarRangers, I see why it gets called a silly Sentai. As a group they're certainly space cadets in every sense of the word. I do however approve of Red Racer's taste in wishes/food.:p

And holy cow, an English OP! I didn't realize they even did those. Did that used to be a VS movie tradition or something? Not that I could make out half of the lyrics due to background noise and the soft annunciation of so many syllables, but that's still really neat.
Monkeyjb1988 wrote: I must say it looks great in HD. Obvious this was one of the films Toei went back to the film for.
Completely agreed. Megaranger looks great in HD. The DVDs have always been kind of crap due to Toei's bad mixing of 30fps and 24fps material, which makes both static and moving shots rather blurry. With a proper 24fps HD presentation you can really see the details on the various suits and props. Color quality is improved as well; it's still a bit dull, but there's more color contrast/intensity than in the series itself and it definitely looks closer to real life. It really goes to show that the poor image quality of the series wasn't due to how it was filmed, but rather how it edited for TV. The one downside here is that since it's such a high quality transfer, the lower quality stock footage stands out, and you can see wires and gaffer's tape that wouldn't have shown up on TV.

On that note, I'm surprised there's such a high quality version of this available. Weren't VS movies direct-to-video back in the day? I was under the impression that releasing them as actual movies was a relatively recent change. In which case I'm pleasantly surprised Toei didn't edit and store it like any other episode of the TV series.
takenoko wrote:I've got the modern sentai movie Blu-ray set, which is what this is from. So we could, but it's super unlikely that we'll have the staffing to do them.
While we're on that subject, does Megaranger have a summer movie? And if so, will you be doing that as well? :)
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Sadly, Mega and Time don't have summer movies. Don't think that was brought back till Gao?
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote:Sadly, Mega and Time don't have summer movies. Don't think that was brought back till Gao?
D'oh. :?

In that case will we be getting Giga vs. Mega and the relevant Timeranger VS movies?
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Post by TypicalStandUser »

Kinda nice to see Yuji Kishi in his younger days before he became Ken, as well as Motohashi Yuki before she became a flesh-eating monster.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

ViRGE wrote:In that case will we be getting Giga vs. Mega and the relevant Timeranger VS movies?
Yup. Just need the pretime for ginga and Xiilia just asked me about time vs last night. She'll probably do it more around when the episodes came out.
Monkeyjb1988
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: Time is the fire in which we burn.

Post by Monkeyjb1988 »

takenoko wrote:I've got the modern sentai movie Blu-ray set, which is what this is from. So we could, but it's super unlikely that we'll have the staffing to do them.
Yeah, no hurries. I was just saying, Car vs Oh was fair game, the episodes are not. I know you guys are busy. No worries :D
ViRGE wrote: I must say it looks great in HD. Obvious this was one of the films Toei went back to the film for. Completely agreed. Megaranger looks great in HD. The DVDs have always been kind of crap due to Toei's bad mixing of 30fps and 24fps material, which makes both static and moving shots rather blurry. With a proper 24fps HD presentation you can really see the details on the various suits and props. Color quality is improved as well; it's still a bit dull, but there's more color contrast/intensity than in the series itself and it definitely looks closer to real life. It really goes to show that the poor image quality of the series wasn't due to how it was filmed, but rather how it edited for TV. The one downside here is that since it's such a high quality transfer, the lower quality stock footage stands out, and you can see wires and gaffer's tape that wouldn't have shown up on TV.

On that note, I'm surprised there's such a high quality version of this available. Weren't VS movies direct-to-video back in the day? I was under the impression that releasing them as actual movies was a relatively recent change. In which case I'm pleasantly surprised Toei didn't edit and store it like any other episode of the TV series.
Yeah, I just rewatched Mega vs Car on Blu-Ray (have the set :D) and then watched the trailer. Night and day is an understatement. I was actually surprised: the stock footage sticks out a little, but there were shots I were sure were done on 90s SD video but they looked as good or almost as good as the rest of the movie. Of course, I did see wires for when one grunt went soaring but hey, there's only so much Toei can do without using time travel and giving the Megaranger production more money/modern film technology.

As for your surprise as to why it looked so good, from what I understand, the series from Carranger to Timeranger still had stuff done on film, like visual effects (laser beams, static composites, but possibly also major composites considering my surprise at how good some looked), titles, and maybe even pre-editing, and did the final edit on video. All 2016-Toei had to do was rescan that film and boom: gorgeous Mega vs. Car. That is likely why all the V-Cinemas from Time vs. GogoV to Geki vs. Bouken were upconverted: EVERYTHING other than shooting the film was done at the video stage and THAT would have involved redoing the composites and edit.

Don't get me wrong, the later team-ups did look good. I saw some of them then watched the (not upscaled) trailers and there are SMALL improvements caused by the upscaling and some shots look almost as good as HD. However, pit one of them against Mega vs Car, or any of the films before Time vs GogoV, and the true HD ones win.

So yeah, Toei (seemingly) only had to do a rescan and slight re-edit and that is why we have a great looking Mega vs. Car. If you see the trailer also on the disc and still made of the blurry video, you can imagine Toei deciding it was worth the effort for the pre-2001 team-up. Going just by the trailers, the younger films looked presentable. Upscaled Mega vs. Car: Nope.
takenoko wrote:
ViRGE wrote:In that case will we be getting Giga vs. Mega and the relevant Timeranger VS movies?
Yup. Just need the pretime for ginga and Xiilia just asked me about time vs last night. She'll probably do it more around when the episodes came out.
Just a heads up: Time vs GogoV is an upscaled team-up but it does look WAY better than any encode of the Timeranger DVDs.

One last thing: got the 1st volume of Gorenger on Blu-Ray: looks great. Not perfect, but a huge improvement. Looked almost like it was filmed a few weeks before the remastered Mega vs Car, not over 20 years. :)

Return to “Sentai-Denji Sentai MegaRanger”