Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Reporting over Miura Haruma's suicide criticized

Post by takenoko »

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20 ... fe/025000c

Thought this article was interesting to read. Japan is kind of famous for it's ridiculous number of suicides. I wonder if the lack of care when reporting them might accidentally be romanticizing the act, leading to copycat suicides.

It's a troubling aspect about suicide that depending on how the media reports celebrity suicides, it can actually cause a rise in suicides to occur.
https://freakonomics.com/podcast/new-fr ... e-paradox/

In a culture where consideration is such a highly valued virtue, it's surprising that this isn't something that is taken into consideration. Although it's probably pretty hard to control the flow of information, where anyone on Youtube could be a "news source"
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: Reporting over Miura Haruma's suicide criticized

Post by Catastrophe »

New Zealand has a criminal law that prevents the media from reporting or discussing suicides. They can still report the death and say 'Found unresponsive at home', but can't mention the cause of death or how they did it.

This extends to some other media as well, such as books and movies that discuss it (but not fictitious portrayals of it).
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, I was surprised by how much there was to it. I had a general idea of stuff like that from the Freakonomics podcast, but I didn't know that they weren't supposed to describe the details or even what the location was like
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I think it's to also try and crackdown on the tabloidy nature of the reporting of it.

My personal feeling is that the TMZs of the world love to run these speculative pieces as to why public figures commit suicide in order to get more clicks rather than show respect. All death is tragic, but to me there is something extra sad about someone thinking they don't have a way out of whats tormenting them other than to take their own life.
decade368990
Train man
Favorite series: Kuuga
Dreamy: Osaki Ichika and Kudo Mio
Quote: Grow a spine, J.A.R.V.I.S. I got a date. -- Tony Stark

Post by decade368990 »

Not just Japan. Even Korea is famous for suicide. Many actors and actresses as well as production staff suicide because how dark it is to survive in the entertainment circle.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, that's a shame that irresponsible reporting and making money come first in priority over the well being of their readers
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT

Post by Catastrophe »

Modern journalism is pretty cancerous. I can't stand clickbait and low effort articles.
Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Dreamy: Koyomi / Rian
Quote: Lost in Thoughts All Alone

Favorite Super Sentai : Goseiger / Kyoryuuger / ToQger / Kyuuranger
Favorite Kamen Rider : Wizard / Gaim / Ex-Aid / Build / Zero-One
Favorite Garo : Yami Wo Terasu Mono / Gold Storm Shou / Kami No Kiba

Post by Mandalori »

That's how it is everywhere I think because of how they got paid. Probably being paid by the number of articles they make rather than the quality of the research because it's easier to quantify. Our whole society need to change, but there are only a few of us who are ready to change their whole way of life because change is hard and you don't know if it's going to be better or worse. That and the fact that those who decide really don't want things to change because it's more beneficial to them that way. In the end, we're all slaves of a system we didn't make.

Return to “Japanese Culture Appreciation”