Dreamy: Yuria Haga(Mari/Mio)
Favorite Actor?: Shouma Yamamoto
Favorite Band: JAM Project
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Tokusatsu!!
Quote: Ultimate Ryukendo! Raijin!

Good for start with?

Post by Akari »

A simple question. Would this be a good place to get an idea of what Ultraman is all about? I am a fan of Kamen Rider, Super Sentai, etc..but have never seen Ultraman. Is Mebius good or is another of the shows a better starting point. (Not starting with the original since it isnt available, but from what TV-Nihon has subbed so far.

Thanks to guile_bio for his help with the sig and gif
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: Good for start with?

Post by Catastrophe »

Mebius is the 40th series, and has lots of cameos and stuff. Not the degree of Gokai or even Decade, but they are present.

To be honest, unlike the others that just export the theme to a different setting, most Ultraman series are the same, just with different characters and dealing with monsters and stuff, so it'd be fine for getting a taste of old school giant monster smackdowns. I'd say this over Ultra Seven X though, which is kinda more adult oriented.
Akari
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: KR Faiz/Ryukendo
2nd Favorite Series: GARO

Post by Akari »

Well, I haven't seen most of the Sentai (Only maybe 4 or 5) but I still REALLY enjoy Gokaiger, so I shouldn't mind not being able to pick out every guest, just to enjoy some giant smackdowns.

Also, I HAVE seen most of the Heisei Rider shows and Decade was MEH...Soooo...

zeta_gundam
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
My boom: Drawing
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by zeta_gundam »

I say Mebius is a good start. It's kind of 'stand-alone', as per most Ultraman series, but makes many references to the original Showa-era Ultraman Series. If you watch the series, you'd realize that some of the kaijus are actually the kaijus from the earlier Showa Ultraman series. You get cameos from the older heroes in the later episodes, which is pretty neat.

Another great series to catch is Ultraman Tiga. You can find subs online, and original DVDs as well. Tiga rebooted the Ultraman franchise in 1996, after a long hiatus. It started Ultraman in a different continuity from the original series. Ultraman (1966) all the way up to Ultraman 80 (1980) was set in the same continuity. Some of the subsequent Ultraman Series also had their own continuity. Mebius on the other hand, went back to the same universe of the very first Ultraman series, where the last series aired some 25 years ago from the time of Mebius (2006). It was pointed out specifically in the first episode of Mebius that kaijus haven't appeared on Earth for 25 years, setting it back in the Nebula M-78 universe of Ultraman.

For myself, as I've watched some of the older shows as well, it's very nostalgic to watch Mebius. (That's also why I wanted to see this series to the end, hopefully. I'm really thankful to SWD and ookami especially, as well as the QC'ers, in helping me in this.)
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I think Mebius would give you a taste of how the regular Ultraman series are. Like someone else said, they are all pretty much the same thing.

I honestly don't like those type of shows. My favorites are Nexus and Seven X which don't conform to the formulaic Ultraman formulas.
Akari
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: KR Faiz/Ryukendo
2nd Favorite Series: GARO

Post by Akari »

What do you consider the standard formula versus the difference of UltraSeven X and Nexus?

takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Monster appears. Guys in planes fight it for bit, but fail to defeat it. Ultraman shows up and defeats the monster. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I've tried watching Max and Mebius, but it never seems to be about anything. I mean, you can probably simplify Sentai in this way (Which I kind of do in the back of my head) but at least Sentai has various themes about the team dynamic. Both series are predictable in their own ways, but Ultraman seems utterly predictable and just not very fun, which just doesn't interest me very much.

Return to “Ultraman Mebius”