together in this epic show.
Forum rules
Wiki Link
ZombieT
I am not a number. I am an individual!

Name error?

Post by ZombieT »

Are you sure the name isnt supposed to be Möbius/Moebius? I have only seen the intro so far but they do show a moebius strip in it.

Oh and sorry to make my first post a complaint. I love the work you are doing :)
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

http://hicbc.com/tv/mebius/

I think the show knows what its own name is.

Remember Japanese is a phonetic language and that a Möbius strip is a German word in origin. Since it can be pronounced may-be-us, having the e there makes snese.
ZombieT

Post by ZombieT »

takenoko wrote:I think the show knows what its own name is.
I dont know man. Ive seen plenty of mangas and other japanese products who have bothe spelling errors and horrible grammar in their names.

But ok, if the error is by the original makers then there is no sence in correcting it.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

ZombieT wrote:I dont know man. Ive seen plenty of mangas and other japanese products who have bothe spelling errors and horrible grammar in their names.

But ok, if the error is by the original makers then there is no sence in correcting it.
Agreed, but Mebius is the official spelling. It's obviously referring to a moebius strip, since you see it in the logo and in his attacks. I wouldn't call it an error, since it seems like the spelling is intentional.
Jim Ballard
Go Go!

Post by Jim Ballard »

Takenoko is correct. While it is certainly best translated into English as "Möbius", Tsuburaya went with "Mebius" as the official spelling. To stick with Ultraman examples, look what they did with European words in ULTRAMAN NEXUS; "Enfance" became "Anphans", "Jeunesse" became "Junis", "Kurain" into "Klein", etc.

I suppose it's worth considering that real words cannot be copyrighted, while these new renderings can.

Return to “Ultraman Mebius”