Go Go!
Favorite series: Ultraseven
2nd Favorite Series: Sailor Moon
Dreamy: Gosei Blue
Favorite Actor?: Ito Hideaki
Favorite Band: None right now

What did you not like about it?

Post by mantis »

I keep hearing people say how terrible it was and comparing it to Gokaiger...What made it so bad in your opinion? I actually really liked it, albeit it is no Shinkenger or Gokaiger, but what is SO bad about it? I think one of the reasons why I really liked it was because of the storyline of Bladerun.

If this topic was already posted I apologize.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: What did you not like about it?

Post by takenoko »

This thread sort of covers the same subject matter
http://tvnihon.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=176&t=7394

I thought it was an okay series. It had some great moments, and one episode that I couldn't stand. I think people just do the "this series is so much better than last year" thing because it's hard to compare a series that just completed a 50 episode run to a new fresh series where the real flaws or weaknesses aren't yet apparent. I just don't think Sentai needs a lot of scrutiny applied to it. If people didn't like it, they didn't like it, right? Opinions are always going to differ on that axis, and no one is really wrong about what they like or dislike in this case
Therm_Kitty
Gabu
Dreamy: Shotaro!
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Therm_Kitty »

It was placed between a big breakout series and an anniversary series. It's a bit like Sentai's Kiva in that way. They're both doomed to relative future obscurity, but many of the people who get through a few episodes with an open mind like them. It was also pretty generic for the first part, but all of that's in the linked thread anyways.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

My problem with the series has nothing to do with what it came after, before, or between. I thought, overall, the acting was at a lower quality than I expect from sentai. There were too many moments that I just didn't believe the dialogue or the emotions that the characters were expressing. I can forgive a talented cast that does their best with poorly written material, but it's a lot harder for me to overcome a cast that feels like they're just going through the motions.

It's a pity, because I do think that the cast enjoyed working on the series, and there were episodes that I really enjoyed. But even the best episodes were plagued with groan-worthy performances.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I think having a rotating villain group just offsets whatever build up you have. So you spend 1-2 episodes doing an introduction for the new villains. Sure it was all planned to be that way but it ruins the quality of the series. Dekaranger had a similar structure to Goseiger except that it had mostly one-shot villains not entire villain organizations. Boukenger had four different villain groups but they were mostly around for the entire series.
jonty
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by jonty »

I just really didn't connect with any of the characters, partly because of PHurricane's point about the performances, and partly because of what I felt were just poorly conceived/written characters.

Alata was too generically gentle nice guy who is the center of everything. I usually like the nice, slightly naive characters, but I didn't like how it always felt like Alata (or the actor) was doing that voice you do when you talk to little kids. I felt like I was being talked down to the whole time. Plus practically every episode was about how great he is, which added to my distaste. As a contrast, my favorite kind of Red is Ryouga from AbaRanger. I liked how he was easy-going and quick to smile but also got fired up in a more believable way than Alata.

Eri had her moments when she was being kinda ditzy (I thought it was funny when she did stuff like hit people on the head hard and said, "Hey, look at that!"!). But the rest of her character was just so uninteresting. I'm struggling right now to even think of anything else to even say about her, good or bad.

Moune I feel had some promise as a character but she just sorta turned into "the kid", which I never really bought because she felt like pretty much the same age/maturity level as everyone else unless the plot called for it.

Agri suffered from what Luna has referred to as the Tsubasa-syndrome (i.e.: he was just sorta there), but he didn't have the benefit of having Tsubasa's funny sarcasm and chemistry with the other rangers. Agri's focus episodes were mostly pretty boring, and I didn't buy him as the big-brother type. I felt like his thing was, "I'm strong and yell unconvincingly every once in a while"

Hyde was actually probably my favorite of the main five, but I feel there was a missed opportunity there. I think the smart characters are more fun when they're also kind of sarcastic and/or grumpy. Hyde ended up having just as many dumb, naive moments as everyone else. And for the guy that's supposed to be strategist, he usually took a back seat to Alata being Mr. Uber-Red.

I liked GoseiKnight alright, but I feel they spent too much time on the whole, "I sometimes work against the main group because my ideals are different" thing. Plus him not having a real human form sorta limits the ability to connect with him.

Datas...let's not get started on him.

Phoenix brought up DekaRanger earlier; I usually think of Deka as being probably one of the strongest character-driven Sentai. I liked every single main character (each of the core 5, Doggie, Tetsu, Swan). The whole one-shot villain concept allowed more focus on the interesting and fun characters. I wouldn't call Goseiger a character-driven show, but shows are usually more entertaining if the characters are written as if it was a character-driven show. It seems like for Goseiger they just picked out one character trait for each ranger and just threw it on a page and thought that'd be good enough. The thing is, though, that one character trait wasn't even all that interesting.

EDIT
I was just thinking about this again in the shower (because that's the kind of thing I think about in the shower), and it occurred to me that I couldn't recall any distinctive movements or traits that the Goseigers had in henshin-form. I like seeing those because they're fun and they help you suspend your disbelief into thinking it's actually the same person. If I'm not describing it well, examples of what I'm talking about off the top of my head: DekaBlue's thing where he would grab his wrist, AbareKiller's thing where he would touch his hand to his forehead, DekaYellow's sort of shruggy-quirky mannerisms, MagiShine's sort of wrist-twisty thing, Go-onGreen's pretty much everything, Go-OnBlue's pointing thing, all of the Shinkengers' distinctive fighting techniques (like Takeru's super-economical strikes, Chiaki's more free-wheeling swipes, Kotoha's almost-reserved movements, Genta's wild and wacky antics), GokaiRed's whole-shoulder-wasted-energy sword strikes, GokaiYellow's informal head-tilty kind of quirkiness.

I guess most of those are actually kind of cheesy (and sometimes over-acted), but it helps offer some differentiation and distinctiveness. And for some reason, I just really find in-suit physical comedy really funny. All of the ridiculous things that Go-onGreen did made me laugh.

Did any of the Goseigers have any of those mannerisms? The best I can think of is GoseiPink being kind of jumpy and GoseiYellow acting sort of childlike.
DrowningFishy
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: "Silly Kaijiu. Kicks are for Riders!" - hunter-urufu

Post by DrowningFishy »

Wow jonty did you breathe in that post? There was no connection with the charaters, and there was no defining behavor while in suit. It was more or less in suit lets fight and get on with it. Though red was certantly less whiped by pink while in suit.

Speaking of red, I cannot help but think that maybe we are all begining to sign sterotypes to the suit color they wear. Red is supposed to be the strong out going type, not the timid little boy [snips insult here]. Alata was just to frickin like a puppy most the time, even when he started showing he had a pair all I could see is the whimpering mutt.

While rereding your post I think I have been miscounting how many Goseinger's there are... I forgot about black he's just not in my memory... ... ...

However I will say it agian, the story could have had something going on but to many things toppled along the way. With a stronger caste, and some personality it probably make a kick ass series. I am not saying any of the actors are bad, it is just that the personalities of the actors did not work well together. Maybe you could have had a boyish red, if you had someone that actually acted like the leader.

Was there even a rebel or outgoing goseiger?
jonty
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by jonty »

I suppose the Reds are usually the more "manly" types, unlike Alata. The last sort of boyish Red was probably Kai. He was incredibly bullheaded and fired-up, which made him more interesting than Alata, I think. Again, though, Magi had the advantage of having instant chemistry due to all the rangers being family members.

Which brings up another point. I never really bought that Alata was as close to GoseiKnight as we were supposed to believe (since Alata was the one that broke Burajira's spell or whatever it was). If anything, I found the relationships GoseiKnight had with Moune and Hyde more interesting. It just seemed like we were expected to believe that Alata is everyone's single best friend.

Side point: I think they missed an opportunity to develop Moune and Hyde's relationship. They didn't really utilize the supposed opposite character types of the two beyond that one episode and like 2 other brief moments in the show.
fvig2001
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
Favorite series: Cutie Honey
Dreamy: Saotome Miki
Favorite Actor?: Kitagawa Keiko
Alignment: Lawful Evil

Post by fvig2001 »

Like what the others have said. I did not like the cast at all, especially Nozomu, Alata and Hyde. The villains were mostly boring. Buredoran was interesting the first few times but then it mostly dragged on. Moune was the only sort of cute girl there. The Tensou jutsus were repeated so many frickin times that it got old quickly. Either way I'll still watch the team up and the returns when it's out for the sake of closure.
"I'm going to the States to enjoy myself" - Said by a close friend.
atilim
Douza Uru Zazaado
Favorite series: Den-O
Alignment: Neutral Evil

Post by atilim »

4 main villains threw out the show means less development for the evil guys. Shinkenger evil guys and girls had entire eps dedicated to them which allowed you to either hate them or feel pity for them.

Alata sounds and acts like a wimp, in some ways it is good to not be the same Red as the others but they overdid it.
Both girls are kind of annoying and bot are to child like, again they overdid it. Comparing to Shinken Yellow who was also the ''child'' of the group it was way to overkill.
Black and Blue, their development was also really shallow and the only thing you get to see is what their hobbys are.

Overall compared to Shinkenger where the people really got some developmental in their characters Goseiger focussed more on Goseiknight, introducing 3 main villains and the whole finding confidence thing (because they would keep on losing their confidence)

What I did like was Burajira he was a smart evil guy unlike most of the other jerks that just keep on sending random monsters and hope for the best. He came up with really good plans (like that been thing) and he was subtle in his doings. Weird that he got defeated by that due monster since Burajira should have been much stronger but OK, will accept that for the sake of the plot.
Sloth MD
Douza Uru Zazaado
Alignment: Neutral

Post by Sloth MD »

I just could not get into it. It failed to totally catch my interest when the first episodes aired, then nearly lost it after the defeat of the first enemy faction before GoseiKnight showed up.... then there wasn't really much to keep my interest until when that one guy(Burajira?) was the one left standing after 3 enemy factions.

....It just didn't sit right with me... and I really, REALLY hope they're alright in the Shinkenger/Goseiger movie that you guys just did.

Return to “Tensou Sentai Goseiger”