Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: OOO 10th: Fukkatsu no Core Medal discussion thread

Post by takenoko »

>On the plus side, I'm seriously impressed that Toei was able to get the whole cast back for this. Not only the stars, of course, but also all the supporting actors right on down to the Greeds.

Yeah. I mean, Mezool's actress basically looks like a totally different person because she's all grown up now. They needed to give Satonaka more sarcastic lines

>the first 45 minutes of the movie are a speed-run of OOO's major themes

Ooh, you're right. I guess that's the tricky thing about an anniversary story, Toei in particular has a lot of trouble balancing "old stuff we want" with "new stuff to make it feel worthwhile". It's probably pretty hard to balance that in general, but you can literally tell any story in toku. I mean, this is a story about a bird hand that's actually a medal befriending an underwear drifter who has war trauma

>And while he's for all practical purposes the co-lead of the series, OOO was built around the two of them together

This is also a really good criticism. I'm guessing Watanabe wanted more crunchy material and probably asked his character be killed off so he wouldn't have to cameo again. Still sad for our usually optimistic hero, though

>But a twist for the sake of a twist is not good writing

/me likes this post

Not to be cynical, but with another net movie coming out, it's hard to not see it as a cynical set up for more story:
https://www.kamen-rider-official.com/news_articles/1666
That said, this still doesn't explain the dire ending for Zeroes Others: Vulcan and Valkyrie. Are we going to get more Zero-One or is it really ending like that? So weird. At least Genms seems like they'll expand that story as long as they keep want to give Genm money to keep chewing the scenery

>I'm also a bit surprised that we didn't get any of OOO's insert dongs here

I too wish for insert dongs here

>Not even Time Judged All, which you'd think would be a shoe-in for the Tajador fight.

I guess the victorious tone of those songs wouldn't fit the darker nature of the story. Who wrote this anyway? Mouri Nobuhiro?! Feels like he always gets stuck writing the spin-offs. /me checks. Ooh yeah, and the main writer for OOO was Kobayashi Yasuko, and she's probably busy working on some anime. Come back, Kobayashi! We got Inoue back, and he's been behaving himself for the most part

>Though I do appreciate the writers taking the time to work in some flashbacks/refreshers on the series. OOO had a dense (and somewhat confusing) set of arcs, especially towards the end

I always have mixed feelings about these. Like the Matrix Resurrections leaned way too heavily on reminding you of better times, often doing a disservice to the actual movie you're watching

>but as great as it is to see the whole cast together again, it doesn't feel particularly rewarding or entertaining in the end.

Saaaame

>PS Why don't Gouda's core medals have a matching color scheme? He's a Greeed, he should have a distinct color.

Especially since with a name like Gouda, you'd think gold would be his color and greed theme?

> I'm not sure if Kobayashi could have done any better given the time and toy constraints. But I'm reasonably confident that she couldn't have done worse.

Maybe, but Kobayashi is like the master of writing great stories that are often heartbreaking as well. That's her trick. I feel like Mouri tried the trick, but doesn't have the grasp on the characters and their emotions to make it work
Gokider
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Gokider »

ViRGE wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:22 am PS Why don't Gouda's core medals have a matching color scheme? He's a Greeed, he should have a distinct color.
takenoko wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:02 am Especially since with a name like Gouda, you'd think gold would be his color and greed theme?
The Medals were made by the Kougami Foundation whose medals don't match color-wise even with clear sets. Goda was just the Greeed that came from this set and isn't really like the other Greeed.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:02 am Ooh, you're right. I guess that's the tricky thing about an anniversary story, Toei in particular has a lot of trouble balancing "old stuff we want" with "new stuff to make it feel worthwhile". It's probably pretty hard to balance that in general, but you can literally tell any story in toku. I mean, this is a story about a bird hand that's actually a medal befriending an underwear drifter who has war trauma
Exactly. Which is why I don't give the writers too much flak. But as a viewer, you can tell when they get the balance wrong. in Toei's case, it's usually under-innovating.
Not to be cynical, but with another net movie coming out, it's hard to not see it as a cynical set up for more story:
https://www.kamen-rider-official.com/news_articles/1666
Interesting. I hadn't seen that there's going to be a Birth X movie as well. Watanabe is listed as appearing, but even if it's set before the current movie, I'm thinking it'll be a cameo. Either way, they definitely planned both movies at the same time, so some cynicism is warranted - especially since they have a CSM Birth driver planned as well.
>I'm also a bit surprised that we didn't get any of OOO's insert dongs here

I too wish for insert dongs here
Dammit! Why is that even a valid word in spell checkers?! :oops:
I guess the victorious tone of those songs wouldn't fit the darker nature of the story.
Hmm, you're probably right. I'd still like to have heard one of them, but I can appreciate not fitting the tone of the movie.
We got Inoue back, and he's been behaving himself for the most part
What are "things I never thought I'd hear us say"? :lol:
Gokider wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 12:26 pm
ViRGE wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:22 am PS Why don't Gouda's core medals have a matching color scheme? He's a Greeed, he should have a distinct color.
takenoko wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:02 am Especially since with a name like Gouda, you'd think gold would be his color and greed theme?
The Medals were made by the Kougami Foundation whose medals don't match color-wise even with clear sets. Goda was just the Greeed that came from this set and isn't really like the other Greeed.
I'm mostly nit-picking for the sake of nit-picking here; it doesn't actually matter. Though from a production standpoint, it's one of those little things that's inconsistent for seemingly no good reason.
Gokider
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Gokider »

ViRGE wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 1:34 pm
Gokider wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 12:26 pm The Medals were made by the Kougami Foundation whose medals don't match color-wise even with clear sets. Goda was just the Greeed that came from this set and isn't really like the other Greeed.
I'm mostly nit-picking for the sake of nit-picking here; it doesn't actually matter. Though from a production standpoint, it's one of those little things that's inconsistent for seemingly no good reason.
Fair enough. If anything, the fact that it still feels off without Goda having his own form says something.

Of course, he doesn't have a complete Rider form either as he absorbed the other medals and reuses parts of Ancient OOO's "Absorption" Form. Not that both weren't mostly reused parts to being with.
Aeikozz
Faiz
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Aeikozz »

I enjoy it, but damn. that ending coulda been better. We didn't have do him like that.
Kurow
Mega
Favorite series: Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Rina Akiyama (Agito)
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: girls
Quote: Ore Sanjou!
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by Kurow »

After not liking and drop Revice and got this movie and I was hoping for something good. It was not good but it was not bad either. Is a movie to celebrate the 10th years of this great kamen rider series and I think that to finally wrap it up.

All the actors looks great but Hina specially looks like a woman now (Still incredible beautiful). The bromance between Ankh and Eiji still there and if you analyze the story is just the reverse ending of the original show. Ank survives this time and Eiji is gone. The only difference is that this time there is not a promise from Ankh to try to bring Eiji back. Eiji was always someone troubled by his tragic past and that event when the kid died and I think that in the "wrong" way the writer just want to let him rest.

Ankh died at the end of the original show, came back temporary during that movie (I don't remember which one) and now is alive again in this movie but Eiji is gone.

Anyway I will give this one a 4/5 out of nostalgia because it was from the golden age of Kamen Rider and specially the golden age of this website/forum and TV Nihon in general.
Last edited by Kurow on Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Final Vent!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I had mixed feelings about this one, but it's cool to see the different reactions from people
showtime
Number 6
Number 6

Post by showtime »

imo it was decent movie for pretty much an hour of content. I feel like the whole movie wasto engage in the nostalgia. I thought the ending nice and was a nice send off.

Return to “Kamen Rider OOO”