Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Lingo that appears in AkibaRanger

Post by takenoko »

Akiba is short for Akihabara. Also known as the electronic city, in recent years it's become the Mecca for otaku in Japan

非公認 Hikounin means Unofficial. The Hi acts a negative like un- or non-, while Kounin means official.

The logo for AkibaRangers is an A on top of the kanji for Hi 非

The opening song repeated parts A-a-a Ki-ki-ki and Ba-ba-ba spell out Akiba

Pompoko and the tanuki are references to a Ghibli movie about tanuki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pom_Poko

Moegi Yumeria (CN) 萌黄ゆめりあ. The parenthesis CN means Cosplay Name. Mo-e means cute, the Gi or Ki means Yellow, and Yume means dreams.

Aoyagi Mitsuki 青柳 美月. Ao is Blue. Yagi means Willow. Aoyagi together means "Trough shell, short-necked clam". And Mitsuki means "Beautiful Moon"

Akagi Nobuo 赤木 信夫. Akagi means "Red tree". Nobu means "Trust, faith" and O means "Man; husband"

Hakase Hiroyo 葉加瀬博世. The joke is Hakase's first and last name can be mispronounced as Hakase, which means "Doc, professor"

Zukyuun is the onomatopoeia for "Bang"

-tan is like a babyfied, cuter version of -chan

Normal attack (Temp)! the (temp) means it's a temporary name.

Comiket is Comic Market, a convention held in Japan

Malshiina calls the AkibaRangers a Pachimon パチモン when she finds out they're not official Super Sentai members. It means: (n) cheap imitations of famous brands. It's pretty funny sounding, so I'm sure it has some interesting etymology

Jadan Houjin Sutema Otsu is pretty much: Evil Corporation Troll
Sutema = Stealth Marketing
Otsu = Thanks, good job (being used sarcastically here)

Originally Sutema was used for people who tried pretend to be fans in order to push their goods. But eventually people started calling trolls and people who just talk without paying attention to others Sutema Otsu in the way westerners call people trolls.

Shachiiku is a reference to Shachiku 社畜 which literally means "corporate livestock". Basically they're faceless guys who have no permanent positions, they get all the dirty work. In battle they yell things like "Overtime!" and other corporate lingo

Moegi's "nya" is the Japanese version of "meow"

In the opening song, the A-a-a is for Abunakatta which means "that was dangerous" or "that was close"
It's also Anti Res (Anchi Resu) which is short for "I don't like your response." with the Japanese misuse of the English word anti-

Ki-ki-ki for Keyboard and Kinchou/nervous

Ba-ba-ba for Bakusui, which means "crashed, fast asleep". Baku for explosion. Bangohan = dinner

Hitokara = Karaoke alone

Toku son = Toku songs

w, www = LOL

In the ending, the "bonus" that's talked about is in Japan, a lot of toku/otaku goods often have limited time bonuses.

The part where he talks about getting the same character five times sounds like he's putting money in a gashapon (bubble toy) machine, which spits out a random gashapon toy.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

For episode two

Post by takenoko »

Otagei = A kind of otaku dance, literally "Ota performance"
http://www.dannychoo.com/post/en/3020/Otagei.html

I'm surprised they did a Maid/Meido pun two episodes in a row.

This isn't really a lingo thing, but the "Shake hands with DekaRed" thing is a common thing that appears in the commercials for the live action shows at Tokyo Dome City or whatever.

Itasha = Originally meant "Italian car". It got corrupted into ita from itai/pain since pain somehow got incorporated into otaku culture. Itasha literally means "pain car" and tends to be covered in anime and video game illustrations. They slightly misspell the name for the actual mecha in show, making it Itasshaa.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Re: Lingo that appears in AkibaRanger

Post by takenoko »

Meant to add this with every episode release

Kitaaa = If you've seen Densha Otoko, you know what this means. If you haven't, you should watch Densha Otoko

Yoru no Chou/Night Butterfly 夜の蝶 = Euphemism for "hostess"

Sekuhara = Short for "sexual harassment"

Kaiun 開運 form = Better luck form (for BoukenRed)

Niwaka 俄 originally meant "Sudden, abrupt" but has taken on the meaning of "noobie, new guy". Akagi calls Aoyagi this in episode 3

Senshu = Sports player. Akagi appends this to Yumeria's name when he's interviewing her like a sports player and asking if she's a "rotten person"

Fujoshi 腐女子 = Written by combining the kanji for "rotten" and "girl", this is a term for women who get really excited about gays

Real ju bakuhatsu shiro リア充爆発しろ = "I hope you blow up from your real life satisfaction". Actually learned this one from doing the Oreimo radio shows. I guess this is what otaku enviously shout at normal people. Akagi shouts it towards Mitsuki in episode 4

Seme = In yaoi terms, this is the dominant partner in a gay relationship. The subservient one is an uke

Katsu = What zen monks shout just as they hit you for losing your discipline. I think it uses the kanji for "to scold"?

Tsundere = Personality type. Initially standoffish, but warms up eventually
nanaholic
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com

Post by nanaholic »

Instead of "trolls" I think it's more appropriate to use "shills" which is the proper term referring to people who engages in stealth marketing.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Trolls is in more common usage though. Also, current usage of the term in Japanese is closer to troll now than its original meaning.
nanaholic

Post by nanaholic »

Shill is common too on the internet. Also in the show the corporation isn't trolling, and you can tell it's a self-poking reference that the show is itself engaging in stealth marketing for the Hounin Sentai, so the show's usage of the term is sticking with the more original meaning instead of the bastardized usage.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I don't know what part of internet where shill is common but I can say that I never heard of it.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I've heard of shill before, so that'd be fine for Sutema.

It's just that from what I could find on the subject, it seemed like people were using Sutema Otsu as a reply to people who weren't necessarily plugging a product, but just droning on about a subject that the listener wasn't interested in. Sort of like "Yeah, yeah, I'm not interested in your lecture, shut up." I thought I saw an article about someone saying that people had started to use Sutema Otsu as a reply to everything, so it has lost it's original meaning, but right now I see that 2chan is having some war with affiliate sites and ads and stuff and seeing Sutema Otsu there. So I dunno?
nanaholic

Post by nanaholic »

Phoenix512 wrote:I don't know what part of internet where shill is common but I can say that I never heard of it.
The place where I see it used all the time are tech blogs - such as Ars Technica, Engadget, Gizmodo etc. In fact that's where I learn the term in the first place because I keep seeing it popping up there.
takenoko wrote:It's just that from what I could find on the subject, it seemed like people were using Sutema Otsu as a reply to people who weren't necessarily plugging a product, but just droning on about a subject that the listener wasn't interested in. Sort of like "Yeah, yeah, I'm not interested in your lecture, shut up." I thought I saw an article about someone saying that people had started to use Sutema Otsu as a reply to everything, so it has lost it's original meaning, but right now I see that 2chan is having some war with affiliate sites and ads and stuff and seeing Sutema Otsu there. So I dunno?
I agree there is debate on the usage right now on 2ch on what is the contemporary usage of it should be and that the term is evolving, but I think the key part here is what the writers intention was when they are using it, which is why I suggest that the writers were probably poking fun at themselves for stealth marketing the Official Sentai due to the parody and tongue-in-cheek nature of the show. Also if you take into consideration that Sentai shows in general are about selling merchandises to customers, the original meaning of "shilling products" makes much more sense than "trolling".
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I dunno, I can see the point either way depending on how one interprets the bad guy organization. I mean, I suppose you could say that they're shilling non-otaku lifestyles to the denizens of Akihabara. I definitely feel like that's part of the meaning there.

But to me, the writer's chose to use a slangy net lingo for a reason. And while they are shilling their culture to the otaku, there's nothing really net lingo-sounding about "shilling" something.

I definitely don't disagree with anything you're saying. It's just for the purposes of a pithy in-sub translation, it was just easier to say these villains are trolling the good guys. Having a lengthy explanation of "stealth marketing" is definitely more appropriate for the forums or the wiki.

Return to “Hikounin Sentai AkibaRanger”