Favorite series: LuPat
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: There are alot.
Favorite Actor?: Alot of this too.
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: INFP Healer

Re: Akiba Tsuu 5 released

Post by Kuchiri »

I can't find any. I just know the reference Pheonix makes because that is what everyone bitches about with the American Green Ranger. If you look at some like promotional stuff they had to do in the suits you can see tommy with the foamy one on.
Tomos
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Languages/singing

Post by Tomos »

I just thought it was very weird to watch. I didn't exactly find it funny.

One interpretation of this on YouTube is that Akagi didn't like Powerful Rangers and that Luna was the sensible one. That's not the impression I got at all. I thought Akagi was like ''Oh,it's just there'' and Luna was typically affected by reality changing. I like both and I would probably do what Akagi did if it happened. It would've been hard to side with what the Powerful Rangers were doing.

Like PR's attempt, this was a very roundabout way of addressing the topic. I didn't really get it.
Revorse
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva/Blade
Quote: "For you, there is no finale."

Post by Revorse »

So...do they not like Power Rangers overs in Japan? That's kinda what this episode seems to be trying to push out.
The Powerful Rangers where amusing. I suppose that's the typical American stereotype, huh? But why can't we ever get positive stereotypes? I suppose if stereotypes were always compliments there wouldn't be complaints about them, but I digress.
Luna's english was kinda cute. That's the kind of accent I'd love to find in a girl.
Also didn't the George spurtonbeil or whatever say "You're perfect?" not just perfect?
And something definitely up with Luna. She got some kind of funky influence over their universe. Maybe she's special.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Not as good as the DaiRanger episode. Still pretty funny though.
Akari
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: KR Faiz/Ryukendo
2nd Favorite Series: GARO
Dreamy: Yuria Haga(Mari/Mio)
Favorite Actor?: Shouma Yamamoto
Favorite Band: JAM Project
My boom: Tokusatsu!!
Quote: Ultimate Ryukendo! Raijin!

Post by Akari »

SpinelSun wrote:
Kuchiri wrote:In Power Rangers since they didn't have Zyuranger's Golden Chest Piece they created their own foam one.
Ha, never noticed. Any comparison shots?
http://henshingrid.blogspot.com/2009/10 ... i.html?m=1

This is not the best example but it is interesting to learn about Saban vs. Toei suits. What's interesting or rather my opinion is the american shield doesn't exist anymore. It didn't look very durable and its cheaper to ship original Sentai props to NZ then to store 20 yr old props that weren't the highest quality to begin with.

Thanks to guile_bio for his help with the sig and gif
Kamen Rider Ookalf
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Kamen Rider Ookalf »

Revorse wrote:So...do they not like Power Rangers overs in Japan? That's kinda what this episode seems to be trying to push out.
Well, it has its fans...
JonSilver
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by JonSilver »

I'm not 100% sure... but Luna's rival... was that the daughter from Gekiranger?! o_O

EDIT: okay, so I apparently didn't read the first message :p
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

Hey! i guess in this universe, Image Comics did not cancel their comicbooks adaption of power rangers!(and please, i know image comics did Zeo, not mighty moprhing, it was a joke. seriously tough, that cover was very 90)
I guess this episode was directed to power rangers haters who call PR a rip-off because sentai came first...and i'm sorry to say this, but powerful rangers have reason to hate sentai. Unlike real life, where saban actually made a deal, here toei stole PR footage and made their own series. Altough, considering the 90 cover, i wouldn't be surprised PR was created by marvel, since that could explain why they are acting like jerks...
I have to comment, it is a shame they did not use slightly different suits to parody the american footage/sentai footage dissonance you see in PR.
Also, this episode just spoilered for me how did green join the zyuus...

I almost forgot, PR's dagger...thing used the exact same song, so how did it had an effect over them?
archer9234
Faiz
Favorite series: Hurricanger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Hurricane Blue
Favorite Actor?: Patrick Stewert
Favorite Band: Project R
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Hulk Universe
Quote: "Don't get us angry. You REALLY don't want to see us angry!" - Hulk & She-Hulk

Post by archer9234 »

The US Green Ranger shield was bad because actor JDF and the suit stunt performer couldn't move in the closer Zyuranger one. So that crappy shield was made. And why would Akibarangers offend PR fans. I love both franchises. And wanted them to make fun of PR for a long time. They were missing this from season 1. I get mad they have no US imports in the shop. There are places that have the PR toys sold along side the Sentai toys. And the Lightspeed Rescue toyline was released in JPN too.
Last edited by archer9234 on Wed May 22, 2013 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

i think the episode is more about people who hate PR because it is not sentai than it is about PR being a copy of sentai.
Blaze Dragon
Infinity
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: W/Fourze
Favorite Band: TETRA-FANG
My boom: Dejimanz

Post by Blaze Dragon »

Man, the Engrish in all the ep was really painful. Perfect for this series, I guess, but I couldn't help but laugh at Luna having apparently practiced her English so much...yet sounding absolutely off. And Spielburton just reacting as if it was perfect did not help.

The episode itself felt kind of weak, and in more than one moment I kind of hoped they had stayed closer to MMPR if they were going to make a parody of it. Those guys weren't exactly Tommy and Jason at all, nor Burai and Geki. It seriously felt like they had the suits, and that was that. Neither Zyuranger nor MMPR, just...guys in suits. After the amazing Dairanger one...yeah, could've tried harder. And Luna making me want to punch her through most of the episode did not help.

I can't say I didn't laugh at the Powerful Rangers comic book though. That thing was hilarious. And Nobuo pointing out that they were getting beaten up yet still trying so hard because they loved Sentai was non-ironically beautiful. Brought a smile to my face.

The male Girls in Trouble! sung by, of all people, Nobuo and General Two was awesome too. And then there's this scene which I'm not really sure if it appeared on previous episodes but I sure as hell didn't see it until now,
Now I really want this to happen.
http://www.youtube.com/user/BlazeDragonEternal My Youtube channel. Has whatever I've uploaded that I know Toei won't delete and close my account with!
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

locuas wrote:i think the episode is more about people who hate PR because it is not sentai than it is about PR being a copy of sentai.
I'm just gonna bounce off of this and quote Lynxara here:
Right, so you can't excuse it as coincidence when there is an episode that essentially states that Power Rangers is just corrupted Sentai. Nobody held a gun to Arakawa's head and made him depict the Powerful Rangers as such a negative thing. He could've made them harmless and sad, like China Red, or well-meaning but buffoonish. It's significant that he didn't.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I think you guys are overreading the intention of the writer in a silly parody TV show. It's just funny to portray the Americans as over the top stereotypes.

If they wanted to simply say "Power Rangers is bad", they probably wouldn't have ever mentioned it and went with a storyline that didn't stir up any such issues. Have a sense of humor guys. Don't get butthurt over nothing.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Yeah it's a parody with a good heart behind it. There isn't really any malice behind it. To the point about the Powerful Rangers not really being one or the other, if we are basing this on Luna's delusion, she probably doesn't know the character themselves and thus you get the American stereotype of the Powerful Rangers. Also are other Americans offended by the stereotypes that Japan tends to use for Americans because I'm not offended by it at all and find it funny most of the time.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Well, to clarify my position, I don't think stereotypes are bad by themselves. It's all about framing/context. If used effectively, like here, it can be really funny while still poking fun at the concept that it's based on. I don't think anyone in Japan watched the episode and thought "Oh yeah, these are how Americans act, those big jerks. Always addressing Japanese as sushi and throwing their weight around." No, they're that way because it's a damn comedy show and a lot of comedy is about exaggerating things for comedic effect.

The problem is when the stereotypes aren't used effectively. In those cases, they can come off as groan worthy or even mildly offensive. When I see gaijin in toku, at worst, it makes me feel slightly uncomfortable. "Oh, so that's how you're going to portray that character, huh? Hurramph." It's just entertainment. Trying to read a political view into it would be going over the top.

I don't feel like this episode said anything about the writer/Toei's view on Power Rangers. It just had a little fun with it. That's all it was.

Return to “Hikounin Sentai AkibaRanger”