Faiz
Favorite series: Gumby
2nd Favorite Series: Dengekibikifaizenger
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Re: Akiba Tsuu 5 released

Post by jolly_old_saint »

What?!

Everything in good taste, I'm sure.

I stand by this being a powerfulomenal episode.
chronoxiong
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Shinkenger/Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Double
Dreamy: Keiko Kitagawa
Favorite Band: One Ok Rock
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: "Walking the path of Heaven, the man who will rule over everything." -Tendou Souji

Post by chronoxiong »

Oh snaps, it's Natsume from Gekiranger! Man she has grown up and is still looking cute (I hope that didnt sound creepy because I said "still"). This episode was hilarious and I did not get offended with any of the jokes towards PR at all. I just appreciated that it was being mentioned and played a part of the plot for this episode. Glad to see that Koichi Sakamoto was the American Director that held the audition because his name was mentioned on this show already and he's all over the Toku scene at the moment so it makes sense. I was actually hoping for this show to clown on the Dragon Ranger's American shield but it never happened. I did laugh at the American flags to cover the suits though. Sakamoto must be having fun seeing all these suits back in action again. And yeah, it seems like Luna plays a big part in the show's storyline. She seems to be going with all the delusions so it will be interesting to find out why that is.
Last edited by chronoxiong on Thu May 23, 2013 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

jolly_old_saint wrote:crazy grampa ramblings
Chou offensive!
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

takenoko wrote:Have a sense of humor guys. Don't get butthurt over nothing.
I'm not "butthurt", I just thought that Lynxara had a nice point there and wanted to share it.
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

for the sake of discussion, i will say this. Powerful rangers have a reason to be jerks. since in this universe...this alternate universe...this whatever, sentai actually stole from PR. while they may be jerks, they kind of have a reason for not liking Sentai. Also, sometimes a parody can be intended well intentioned and afective, but the execution makes it the opposite.
but hey, this probably was done in good fun.
Dienz217
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Decade
My boom: NERF-ing
Quote: Just passing through~

Post by Dienz217 »

Was the "I was...." part intentional? *Sorry but it has been bothering me*
______*If you're reading this.....You have too much time*______
________________*Proud To Be A Lurker*_________________
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Oops. "It was". Looks like one of the QC suggestions was improperly implemented.
Silentwolfdog
Save the life
Favorite series: Garo (and many more)
My boom: Iljimae 枝梅
Quote: I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.

Post by Silentwolfdog »

Wow, what an uncomfortable ep to watch.

Anyhow, I was wondering, did Wild Force used GaoRanger series without permission because it was mentioned in ep that Gaoranger used Wild Force series without permission? That part sort of threw me off. It was just too strange to be mentioned like that in ep unlike Chinaman.
Showa wa yume ga atta jidai dakedo, ima wa yume ga nai
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

Silentwolfdog wrote:Wow, what an uncomfortable ep to watch.

Anyhow, I was wondering, did Wild Force used GaoRanger series without permission because it was mentioned in ep that Gaoranger used Wild Force series without permission? That part sort of threw me off. It was just too strange to be mentioned like that in ep unlike Chinaman.
the only explanation i can think of is that wild force was technically the first series in the polarizing "Disney-era" whic, it seems, had some sort of conflict between disney and toei since disney wanted more control over sentai...i should say that i don't have any confirmed source. but it's the only explanation i can give.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Nah. The joke is that in the alternate universe, Japan ripped off Power Rangers to create Sentai. In reality, Power Rangers rights holders probably have to pay Toei some stuff for using their material in their shows. Again, reality is bent for the sake of comedy.
MarcosPMA
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Ahim
Favorite Actor?: Masaki Suda
My boom: Penguins :3
Quote: Sekia wo sore o Ai to Yubun da ze!

Post by MarcosPMA »

takenoko wrote: I don't think anyone in Japan watched the episode and thought "Oh yeah, these are how Americans act, those big jerks. Always addressing Japanese as sushi and throwing their weight around."
I thought this was pretty hilarious XD
SPACE KITA!!!!!!!!!
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Haha, wow! I had always wondered if we were going to get a lampooning of Power Rangers in the second season of Akibaranger, and Toei has completely delivered and then-some.

I totally lost it when TyrannoRanger and DragonRanger showed up and started beating on the Akibarangers while wearing those American flag themed neckbraces. I can absolutely see why some people would find that depiction insulting or in poor taste, but frankly I found it hilarious. Of all the ways they could lampoon PR, this really ended up being one of the best. Having Sentai being a PR derivative and then the delusion Power Rangers being rude, short-tempered jerks who English-laden dialog and ogle Malshiina is so far from reality that it's a riot.

And this episode was also a great example of why Akibaranger lives up to being a loving parody of Sentai. Anyone could have been Spielbergton, but the picked the one person in Japan who has any real standing to portray a PR fan: Koichi. Similarly, doing a mock-up of the ridiculous muscle-bound PR artwork was an excellent in-joke. And what else needs to be said about getting both Red and Green in this episode (the two most popular MMPRs), and having the dagger toy break their altered states? Oh, and Speilbergton suddenly getting the idea to make Akibaranger in America once reality was "fixed" is worth a mention too (if only, if only).

Though what's up with the sudden rival for Luna? Some of this I'm sure is because it's only a 13 episode series, so they don't have a ton of time to develop story concepts. But out of 10 finalists in the audition, Akina suddenly latching onto Luna like that just doesn't flow well; it's not clear why these two are rivals instead of merely competitors. On the other hand the fact that Tsuu Shogun is mentoring a young female idol in the way of Sentai villains is as creepy as it is funny, so I hope this is going somewhere.

Speaking of Luna again, is it me or did they give her the idiot ball and have her run in for a safety in this episode? I can get how she would be confused about the origins of Sentai, but I'm totally lost on why she would want to serve the Powerful Rangers. She certainly hasn't shown a desire to serve the Sentai members. It gets her out of the way so that the others can get beat up, but that's about it.

Next up, Toei really seems to be getting their mileage out of Malshiina's transformation sequence. Which would be great if she had a real transformation jingle rather than that scat version. It was funny the first time; now it's grating. On the other hand the jingle they play before she transforms is a wonderfully "darker" version of the Akibaranger jingle, so it's not as if the production team couldn't have gone all the way on this.

Finally, am I the only one who finds themselves preferring the Akibaranger cover of Girls in Trouble over the original? Something about the lower octave of having the men sing it gives it a better harmony.
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

takenoko wrote:Nah. The joke is that in the alternate universe, Japan ripped off Power Rangers to create Sentai. In reality, Power Rangers rights holders probably have to pay Toei some stuff for using their material in their shows. Again, reality is bent for the sake of comedy.
yes, but why start with wild force of all series? it just looks like a random series to pick. i would have picked time force,(considered one of the three best pr series) or maybe SPD, since that one seemed to have a decent reception in Japan, and i could see them remaking it. I don't know, it's just WIld force looks like just random.
dancercotillion
Vaglass
Vaglass
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Pityin' foo's.
Quote: Some laws you break.
Some laws break you.

Post by dancercotillion »

ViRGE wrote:Finally, am I the only one who finds themselves preferring the Akibaranger cover of Girls in Trouble over the original? Something about the lower octave of having the men sing it gives it a better harmony.
Nope, I like the cover more, too. Some of these credits songs are quite nice! This one, the SunVulcan one, Ninja "Cap-tan". Yeah, man, this is some really weird fan service, but I like it.

I liked how the Powerful Rangers weren't fighting like an action show so much as just beating the shit out of the Akibarangers like a pack of street fighters, choke-slamming Yellow into a wall, punching Red in the throat, and being assholes about everything.

Were their voices when Zyuranger was restored actually Geki and Burai? I have problems believing it would be the real Burai, last I had heard he'd retired from acting for years and years because of hard feelings towards it or something.
TBustah!
Mega
Favorite series: Zyu to Kaku
2nd Favorite Series: Bouken to Kaizoku
Favorite Actor?: Toku? Hiroki Suzuki
My boom: Slot cars
Quote: "The future.... is in the past! Onwards, Aoshima!"
Type: ISFP Composer

Post by TBustah! »

14:56

Yes, Luna. Because all Americans are xenophobes and/or can't appreciate a higher quality product. :roll:

Return to “Hikounin Sentai AkibaRanger”