Not officially a Sentai
bowspearer
Go Go!
Favorite series: Boukenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dairanger
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Re: Akiba Tsuu 13 released

Post by bowspearer »

Joosche wrote:There are already any news for a new season? Or this is THE END?
Spoiler
As someone else raised, the so-called suicide flag, is the actual flag for a supposed death flag for mecha anime and ends the moment everyone thinks the hero is dead. Hakase fulfilled the other end of that flag and the cheeky 4th wall offside by Akagi is a dead giveaway that season tsu3ri is going to happen.

In terms of the series overall, it was fantastic. Initially the whole thing, as per usual didn't quite make sense, including these random hospital scenes which gave slight teasers but seemed out of place. Then they went and tied everything in in a way which had a mountain of pennies dropping at once and was just done absolutely brilliantly.

Once again, a fantastic series which hits well above its timeslot. Bring on season 3, or as I imagine it being called, season tsu3ri.
Arawynn
Douza Uru Zazaado
Favorite series: Garo, KR Blade
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger
Dreamy: Kouga, Tetsu
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by Arawynn »

This season was confusing when it began. But then it tied pretty well with S1. The new Blue grew on me as the season progressed. There are a lot of loose ends however. Just killing off the Akibarangers wont make them go away I think. Hoping for season 3!

Great work on the subs and karaoke as always. Thank you TvNihon <3
Last edited by Arawynn on Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
KR - Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-o, Kiva, Decade, W, OOO, Fourze Sentai - Dai, Time, Gao, Hurrican, Aba, Deka, Magi, Bouken, Geki, Go-on, Shinken, Gosei, Gokai, Gobust Other: Garo, Garo: Makai Senki
dancercotillion
Vaglass
Vaglass
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Pityin' foo's.
Quote: Some laws you break.
Some laws break you.

Post by dancercotillion »

I rather enjoyed all the cover songs playing through the episode. That was a nice touch.

There have been a surprising amount of Sentai members who've died. They should have all been there, but with those little napkin headband things and hand a set out to the Akibarangers.
Tomos
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Languages/singing

Post by Tomos »

JonSilver wrote:LOVED seeing Yellow Four since Bioman was my very first Sentai way back when. All in all, Akibaranger gave me some good laughs although I did feel sad that they really did die despite the "happy" tone of the ending. Still, at least the door is open for season 3!
I agree. I liked that they made the last scene quite poignant. It could have been handled much worse.
Aura Mask
There are four lights!
There are four lights!
Favorite series: Maskman
2nd Favorite Series: Changeman

Post by Aura Mask »

To be honest, I didn't care for this season. I liked season 1 up until the end, but this did not work for me. It had a few funny moments, but for the most part it was stupid.

My biggest problem is how lazy Naruhisa Arakawa's writing. Arakawa was a great writer for a long time, but he is well past his prime and he really doesn't care about what he writes anymore. Akibaranger never had a real plot. It was just a bunch of disconnected stories. There was no structure or consistency to anything that happened in this series. The best example is episode 12, which disregards everything that happened in the previous episode to do something that comes completely out of nowhere and doesn't fit what the show is about at all. None of the episodes had anything to do with each other. Arakawa just kept throwing random stuff onto the show instead of having an actual story.

The characters were very inconsistent, especially Luna, who went from knowing a lot about Super Sentai on episode 2, to knowing nothing about it by episode 4, to all of a sudden caring about Super Sentai on episode 11 when she had no interest in any of the preceding episodes. Being a parody does not exempt the show from having good writing and good character development. It was the strong character development that made Carranger a great show. Akibaranger doesn't even try to have good character development. Luna's two biggest moments in the show were overshadowed by Nobuo, and Yuuko didn't have a single focus episode. Even Nobuo's development was disjointed.

This show isn't very mature either. I know that it is a parody show, but it is supposed to be for older fans. Instead, we basically get Dekaranger with more T and A. Putting tons of nudity into a show doesn't make it mature. Any horny 14 year old can do that. This show's comedy mostly involved yelling every line and explaining every joke to the audience. Even Go-Onger was funnier and more mature than this.

I don't really need Akibaranger in my life. If I want to watch a good Super Sentai parody, I can watch Carranger. Carranger showed me new ways of developing characters and telling stories. I didn't see anything in Akibaranger that I couldn't also see in a typical Adam Sandler movie. I don't know if there will be a season 3 or not, but if there is, I'm not watching it.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Hmm, fair enough, although I think you're being overly critical about the show. Part of the fun in the parody is bringing out preestablished tropes and shining a light on them to point out how ridiculous they are.

I liked season two better than season one. I think the delusion world changing things in reality was a good plot point, and led to a lot of interesting scenarios. Yeah, there was no overall story arc, but the same could be said about season one as well. But I can forgive that since that's not the main point to AkibaRanger's existence.

I also really liked Luna's character, whose character arc is probably one of the main driving forces for this season. She knows nothing about Sentai because after the events of 2, she no longer became a Sentai fan. Sort of a big part of the plot. She started to care about Sentai after episode five, and it just progressed to her big moment in episode 12.

I don't think anyone claimed putting nudity in the show made it mature. Given that it's a show about in-jokes and stuff, having the exposition is a necessity since most people watching probably aren't going to get all of them on their own.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I don't remember AkibaRanger having that much nudity or the thought it really had so much T&A. AkibaRanger is a meta show and thus you need all the explanations you can get. I don't think most of us would get the joke with the Boy mecha since it's so uncommon. Yuuko had some character development which involves her getting married. Since she was a returning character, she didn't need to get more character development compared to Luna who is completely new. As for AkibaRanger having no overall story arc, there is one but it doesn't reveal itself. It reminds me of Shinkenger where you have a bunch of unconnected episodes but actually they were connected for a big plot point later on.

Also what's your definition of mature anyway?
toni2212
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Luka Milffy
Favorite Actor?: Hidenori Tokuyama
Favorite Band: Psychic Lover
My boom: Ogino Karin
Quote: "Time travel isn't confusing, it's Toei that makes it confusing" - me

Post by toni2212 »

@Aura Mask:

That's a fair point, but you are forgetting that for an Unofficial series running for only 12(+1) episodes, establishing a normal plot isn't gonna work for a director. That's why they go with the direction. The show seems stupid because it was meant to be stupid. But some people like it, and some are not. I also think the show is kind of stupid, it's stupidly hilarious.

Yuuko actually got 1 focus episode though. The powered up episode. That is technically the same with official series where some members only got 2-3 focus episodes.

Overall, you got a good point. But that's your opinion eventually, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. :D
Tomos
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Languages/singing

Post by Tomos »

I think both series had their good and bad points. Like I didn't like episode 12 of the first series either. I hope this isn't the end, because if they could reference the character revival trope as well that would be pretty cool. Maybe they could just do a special just to do all the things like that.
JosueFm
Quote: just wanna henshin

Post by JosueFm »

Guys.... agh My heart barely made it out of that last episode intact!

Loved the season, I also loved the twists with Tsu Shogun/Hatte/Malshiina. I'm still pretty young in my
Sentai fandom, but this just makes me want to dive in all the way.

I am really gonna miss these chars (Much like we all did after S1). Looking forward to what, if anything, is next for
Nobou and the gang.

Thanks Tv-Nihon for the hard work!!!!!
just wanna henshin
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

Aura Mask wrote:The best example is episode 12, which disregards everything that happened in the previous episode to do something that comes completely out of nowhere and doesn't fit what the show is about at all.
The best reasoning I've seen for the Ultraman stuff is that Arakawa said in some interview that, apparently -- he really wants to write an Ultraman show for Tsubaraya which is why there was that random reference when Akagi fought Deluknight, this episode, "Chigauyou" and lots others.
toni2212
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Luka Milffy
Favorite Actor?: Hidenori Tokuyama
Favorite Band: Psychic Lover
My boom: Ogino Karin
Quote: "Time travel isn't confusing, it's Toei that makes it confusing" - me

Post by toni2212 »

I guess Arakawa is trying to appeal towards Tsuburaya by using Akibarangers as his stepping stone to gain recognition.

I have a hunch feeling if there was gonna be a season 3, Timeranger is gonna be in there as a way for Hatte to revive them.

Thank you again for the hard work Tv-Nihon staff. I understand with the addition of Akibarangers, you guys are really working around the tight corner. But still you guys continue despite being pushed to the edge.
Netto no Zen-Aki
Gabu
Favorite series: Sentai
2nd Favorite Series: Rider
Quote: "We cannot change the past, for it is written in stone. So we look to the future, for it has yet to be written."

Completed:
KR- Ryuki, Kabuto, Kiva, Den-O, Decade, W, OOO, Fourze, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
Sentai- Deka, Magi, Bouken, Geki, Go-On, Shinken, Gosei, Gokai, Go-Bust, Kyouryu, ToQger
ETC- Ryukendo, Rescue Force, Rescue Fire, Garo, Garo: Makai Senki, Garo: Yami

Current:
Shuriken Sentai Ninninger
Kamen Rider Ghost

Post by Netto no Zen-Aki »

I will say this, if they make a Season Three, there's no doubt in my mind they'll make a Season Four because then you could call it a semi-official sentai for having a full 52 episode series *mind you four of them are Clip Shows, so that would be 48 actual episodes*. I would laugh so hard about that. But I did laugh at the ending when there was that part from Hatte Saburo that read "Now I can work on the Official series." or something along that line.

BRING ON TSU3RI!
Kamen Rider Unknown
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Kamen Rider Unknown »

Netto no Zen-Aki wrote:But I did laugh at the ending when there was that part from Hatte Saburo that read "Now I can work on the Official series." or something along that line.
LOL, I laughed too. :lol: He wrote; "Now I can focus on the official shows." - Hatte

More then likely it will be a third season....they still didn't get their "Sixth-Ranger" yet.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

That twist towards the end was great. I do hope for another season, but at the same time I don't want it to get stale.

I really enjoyed this whole thing. They didn't have to set up as much as they did with the first one, and the meta between the two was great.

Return to “Hikounin Sentai AkibaRanger”