KR Drive Movie Surprise Future & Re-ray released

I'm a fine-tuned supersonic speed machine
Forum rules

Kamen Rider Drive Wiki Link

< Gaim | Drive | Ghost >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Drive Movie Surprise Future & Re-ray released

Post by takenoko »

Wiki http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Kamen_Ride ... ise_Future
http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Re-ray

Huh, that felt like a really weak movie to me. I liked the twist with Eiji's son, after seeing those shorts after the main episodes. The crane fight was really good. The ending credits looked good, but were probably too expensive for the visuals you got.

But yeah, the story. The sub plot with the police turning on Tomari was really forced. It just made me mad every time we returned to those guys arguing. It took us out of the action and made us focus on this forced ass conflict that doesn't make sense.

The characters were also used really poorly. We barely know Eiji before the other shoe drops. Go and Chase were just used as random meat shields for Drive. Although again, the Chase fight against the Crane was pretty good. The present day Roidmude were just guest appearances in this movie. Ghost's cameo intro was random as fuck. Storywise, I just didn't feel like there was anything for me to latch onto. It's hard to care about the action if you don't care about the people fighting.

Which is too bad, since we got Dark Drive, some Chase/Drive hybrid, and Drive Type Special. Plus we got to see Proto Drive's car.

The summer movies are always going to be spectacle over story, but this one felt particularly egregious. I normally like Drive's characters, but this wasn't their best outing. There wasn't any humor or fun scenes between the characters. After seeing what they did with Yongou, it sort of makes me resent these vacuous summer outings. It always seems like the special effects come first, then the story is written around that, even if it comes off as pretty dumb and irrelevant.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Re: KR Drive Movie Surprise Future & Re-ray released

Post by Phoenix512 »

Krim is truly the Grim Reaper's nemesis with how many times he keeps coming back to the world of the living.

I think this is the third time where the police has turned against Shinnosuke. I would like for one Drive movie where the police aren't a hindrance for the most part. Also this time is a bit stupid with the whole reputation stick. Kiriko just telling the guy to fuck with reputation was probably what everyone thought about it including the audience.

I really do like the fights in this one but overall story did suffer from the police subplot. I did like the scene where Shinnosuke is at the garage hearing Belt-san's recording. I wonder if I'm the only one who thought that the future Belt should have disappeared once Shinnosuke defeated 108. Also how did Tridoron get repaired so quickly? It wasn't from proto-Tridoron since it was in pieces.

I would really like if there was a scene at the end where we see the new future with Eiji being with his parents, Shinnosuke and Kiriko.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Unfortunately I need to report a problem with the Type Lupin encode. Somehow the deinterlace/IVTC was bad. It's encoded at 23.97fps, but every 5th frame is a repeat, so it would seem the wrong frame was dropped.
msf232
Faiz
Dreamy: 민지여신
Favorite Band: Dreamcatcher
My boom: Nothing definite, changes from time to time
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by msf232 »

No blog post?
Finished:
Dairanger, Shinkenger, Kyoryuger–キングオージャー
Kuuga–Geats
Nexus, R/B
Ryukendo, Rescue Force
スパイダーマン
CH THE LIVE
Akibaranger, Akiba S痛
Wakusaver S2, Jyuukaizar
CPH GandD
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Was at work, then had to sleep to prepare for work tomorrow. Only just now had time to work on fansub stuff.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I've always felt that the biggest problem in Drive's suit design was the damn tire, and Super Dead Heat pretty much confirms that. I would have been happy to have a design like that all season, and it does a better job selling the Iron Man-esque elements of the series.

Also, we need more Chris Peppler! For a movie that was so Krim-centric, we didn't actually get any new footage of him as human Krim.
Phoenix512 wrote:I think this is the third time where the police has turned against Shinnosuke. I would like for one Drive movie where the police aren't a hindrance for the most part. Also this time is a bit stupid with the whole reputation stick. Kiriko just telling the guy to fuck with reputation was probably what everyone thought about it including the audience.

I really do like the fights in this one but overall story did suffer from the police subplot.
Unfortunately I think you hit the nail on the head there. Especially as this movie came out barely 2 months after the multi-parter where Brain framed Shinnosuke. It was a really lazy plot at best, and distracting at worse. Still, we've had worse KR summer movies and better KR summer movies. This one is probably somewhere in the middle; it gets bonus points for not being a total mind-screw and not being absurdly non-canon (i.e. Gaim).

On a side note, the police captain must have been a relatively famous actor? I can't imagine why they'd spend so much time with him otherwise.
takenoko wrote:The crane fight was really good. The ending credits looked good, but were probably too expensive for the visuals you got.
If anything I felt the crane fight was the low point of the movie from a SFX perspective. The CGI wasn't very good to begin with, but then they cut between the CGI model and a real crane a few times, and it was very obvious (and jarring).
After seeing what they did with Yongou, it sort of makes me resent these vacuous summer outings. It always seems like the special effects come first, then the story is written around that, even if it comes off as pretty dumb and irrelevant.
At this point I think we're just going to have to accept that Yongou was a happy accident, and judging from the promo materials surrounding KR1's net movie tie-in, not something Toei intends to repeat. The summer movies are always going to be bombastic; Yongou worked because as a net movie and could be smaller in scope. The summer movies by contrast will always be more action-heavy affairs, though they could definitely be done better.

Side note: since this release also includes the Lupin episode, what's left for Drive. The winter team-up movie and Tokujo?
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

It's Type Tokujo and the Chaser side story that's left. Ghost/Drive is going to be under Ghost.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

That was a pretty good movie. I'd actually forgotten Ghost was in it...

Can I ask though, why Super Dead Heat? That's what the Drive Driver says, so surely it'd be good to keep it and Chou Dead Heat (Which the Mach Driver says) as distinct things?
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I thought the joke was that the Mach Driver said the same thing as the Drive Driver, but in Japanese? It's one of those weird things about Drive that never made too much sense to me.
Akari
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: KR Faiz/Ryukendo
2nd Favorite Series: GARO
Dreamy: Yuria Haga(Mari/Mio)
Favorite Actor?: Shouma Yamamoto
Favorite Band: JAM Project
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Tokusatsu!!
Quote: Ultimate Ryukendo! Raijin!

Post by Akari »

First of all there is not even a throw away excuse as to why he couldnt use Chase's Shift Car?

Second, The setup for why the police are mad at Shinnosuke is weak. Not even a point to explain what he blew up that put him on the run. He had to have caused collateral damage before. Really weak time travel story in general

Thanks to guile_bio for his help with the sig and gif
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote:I thought the joke was that the Mach Driver said the same thing as the Drive Driver, but in Japanese? It's one of those weird things about Drive that never made too much sense to me.
The Mach Driver is a dick in general. I can't count the number of times Mach was defeated and the driver told him good job. So being developed in America while speaking Japanese is hardly its biggest offense. :lol:
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Akari wrote:First of all there is not even a throw away excuse as to why he couldnt use Chase's Shift Car?
I assumed the Chaser Signal Bike was modified from the normal design so that it would work for Chase, since he's not human. But now I think about it, it doesn't make a lot of sense. For starters, surely the Driver should at least close and then fail like when Kiriko tried being Drive. And secondly, Mach had no problems using it that time.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Kurow
Mega
Favorite series: Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Rina Akiyama (Agito)
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: girls
Quote: Ore Sanjou!
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by Kurow »

Thanks a lot for the release!

I need to admit that during the regular show they did a great job hyping this movie with all the information, previews and short scenes that we saw about Eiji.

Sadly the movie was not good enough and it was very obvious that the Kiriko was her mother and it was a bit surprising to see that the roidmude knew a lot about Eiji, his mother and his father too. The roidmude killed Eiji in the future so it was dark story and that is something good and welcome always in a tokusatsu specially these days.
Final Vent!
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

HowlingSnail wrote: For starters, surely the Driver should at least close and then fail like when Kiriko tried being Drive.
Huh? Apparently I've missed something here. Which episode was that in?
Akari
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: KR Faiz/Ryukendo
2nd Favorite Series: GARO
Dreamy: Yuria Haga(Mari/Mio)
Favorite Actor?: Shouma Yamamoto
Favorite Band: JAM Project
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Tokusatsu!!
Quote: Ultimate Ryukendo! Raijin!

Post by Akari »

ViRGE wrote:
HowlingSnail wrote: For starters, surely the Driver should at least close and then fail like when Kiriko tried being Drive.
Huh? Apparently I've missed something here. Which episode was that in?
I forget but I think it was a special or net movie or something. Not in the series.

Thanks to guile_bio for his help with the sig and gif

Return to “Kamen Rider Drive”