Garo Yami wo Terasu Mono 13 released

MissTokuLover
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Garo Yami wo Terasu Mono 13 released

Post by MissTokuLover »

MarcosPMA wrote:LOL at Takeru. I think he's the kinda guy that gets angry instead of sad, which is fine, except that there's no immediate outlet for his anger, so he just ends up flailing around ruining the scene. Adding to that, there's no real reason he should feel so much for the family, I mean, it's not like he formed a big emotional connection to them that one episode. It's rather overdone and puts me off a bit. You really can't blame the actor too much though, if the director keeps going with it then at that point I think it's a director's choice rather than an acting choice (cuz any actor worth his/her money will tell you that he's totally overdoing it.)
but I can tell Takeru genuinely loves that girl (forgot her name) and really care for her, so that really gives him a reason to be all sad and angry about the family. Although he wasn't all that close to the family, but he is close to the girl, and I think his anger & sadness is mainly for her sake, not his own. He cares for her very much and it saddens & infuriates him that her family was so cruelly taken away from her.
If you think about it, it makes sense. If I was in his position and there was someone I deeply cared about who had his family killed by a murderer, I would be really sad & furious too.
OOOKaiser wrote: Are we ever going to get a episode about Ryuga's past? We don't know much about when he was young and his mother. Also I realized Aguri is useless in close combat after getting his ass beat up by that madou horror.
I'm sure we will eventually, I read on another forum that ep 16 is probably the episode when we'll get some answers to Ryuga's past. But I'm not sure since I haven't read the upcoming ep summaries.

As for Aguri, I see what you mean, I think every fighter has his/her strengths and weaknesses in combat. For Aguri, it looks like his weakness is close combat, as an archer, his strength is long-range/distant combat.
MarcosPMA
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Ahim
Favorite Actor?: Masaki Suda
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Penguins :3
Quote: Sekia wo sore o Ai to Yubun da ze!

Post by MarcosPMA »

MissTokuLover wrote:
MarcosPMA wrote:LOL at Takeru. I think he's the kinda guy that gets angry instead of sad, which is fine, except that there's no immediate outlet for his anger, so he just ends up flailing around ruining the scene. Adding to that, there's no real reason he should feel so much for the family, I mean, it's not like he formed a big emotional connection to them that one episode. It's rather overdone and puts me off a bit. You really can't blame the actor too much though, if the director keeps going with it then at that point I think it's a director's choice rather than an acting choice (cuz any actor worth his/her money will tell you that he's totally overdoing it.)
but I can tell Takeru genuinely loves that girl (forgot her name) and really care for her, so that really gives him a reason to be all sad and angry about the family. Although he wasn't all that close to the family, but he is close to the girl, and I think his anger & sadness is mainly for her sake, not his own. He cares for her very much and it saddens & infuriates him that her family was so cruelly taken away from her.
If you think about it, it makes sense. If I was in his position and there was someone I deeply cared about who had his family killed by a murderer, I would be really sad & furious too.
I understand he cares for her, but I don't think that one episode (episode 7) was enough to elicit such a response from him moving forward. He's been that way ever since the first episode with the family, and even then I thought his emotional response after seeing that the family came back was a bit much. I can understand the response now, since he's gotten closer to her, but the fact that this has been his response since the beginning just puts me off. I don't think the emotion is wrong (I would be sad/mad too if I were him), I just think he's overdoing it and it comes out forced instead of natural. This is why I say I think it's a directors choice rather than the actor.
SPACE KITA!!!!!!!!!
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Gutted didn't actually change during the fight and just stabbed the horror with blunt arrows. Also, our first look at blazing armament and its in a non combat setting, lame.
MissTokuLover
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by MissTokuLover »

MarcosPMA wrote: I understand he cares for her, but I don't think that one episode (episode 7) was enough to elicit such a response from him moving forward. He's been that way ever since the first episode with the family, and even then I thought his emotional response after seeing that the family came back was a bit much. I can understand the response now, since he's gotten closer to her, but the fact that this has been his response since the beginning just puts me off. I don't think the emotion is wrong (I would be sad/mad too if I were him), I just think he's overdoing it and it comes out forced instead of natural. This is why I say I think it's a directors choice rather than the actor.
Then that goes back to the first point I made about his over-acting, it doesn't matter whether it was a flaw in Ikeda's acting or he was simply following the director's orders. Either way, his acting in those emotional scenes were very forced and unnatural and it turns me off. I'm not just referring to his scenes in ep 13, his over-acting was too much in ep 7 (the debut of the family ep) also.
I think his acting in most of his scenes are tolerable, to me his acting is more natural most of the time. It's mainly when it comes to those emotional scenes when he has to act all sad & angry, that's when he overdoes it.
Catastrophe wrote:Gutted didn't actually change during the fight and just stabbed the horror with blunt arrows.
I'm assuming you are talking about Aguri in this episode, I agree with you, I was actually quite surprised with him in this ep. Ever since the beginning he had always been acting all cocky and looking down on Ryuga and Takeru, but in ep 13, we finally saw his weakness in his skills. Zaruba called him a "coward", which was correct to some extent since he was contemplating on running away from the fight. But I think that was a good thing, because for the first time Aguri finally started to notice his own weakness & vulnerability, for the first time we saw him in a different way. I think by finally realising his own weakness, he can only learn from this to move forward from here on and also helping him open up to the others more. Thus instead of running away, Aguri decided to stay with the group to finish the job and seems to have finally formed good bonds with Ryuga and the others. He had some good character development in this ep.
dancercotillion
Vaglass
Vaglass
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Pityin' foo's.
Quote: Some laws you break.
Some laws break you.

Post by dancercotillion »

Man, these new songs seriously blow. I guess I'll be skipping the opening and closing from now on.

(The opening visuals were edited specifically for the original song, which is why they don't match the new one at all. Different tempo, different rhythm, it clashes and doesn't sit right. They should have at least made new wallpaper for their new song, jeez.)

I don't know if Aguri was necessarily a coward. Zaruba sure thought he was, but Zaruba is usually with a guy who rushes almost blindly into combat. Aguri's all about finesse and technique, which is what he wanted to go to the Senate for. He figured there had to be some new technique he didn't know which would help. I don't think he was running away at all, he's just not hot-blooded like the others.
MissTokuLover
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by MissTokuLover »

dancercotillion wrote: I don't know if Aguri was necessarily a coward. Zaruba sure thought he was, but Zaruba is usually with a guy who rushes almost blindly into combat. Aguri's all about finesse and technique, which is what he wanted to go to the Senate for. He figured there had to be some new technique he didn't know which would help. I don't think he was running away at all, he's just not hot-blooded like the others.
I'm not so sure about that. If he was really such a technical fighter who relied so much on technique and precision, and if he truly felt that there must be some other fighting technique that he can acquire that would help him, then why did he change his mind about going to the senate afterwards? That's what made me question his initial intentions a bit. If he was so determined to learn a new technique, then he would've went ahead with his initial plans to go to the senate. He knew at that point that his current skills are not sufficient enough, he knew he needed to be stronger. But he decided to stay with the group, so it made me think that what Zaruba said about him being a coward really affected & bothered him, and with the way Aguri reacted to that comment, his reaction seemed like he was not opposing that comment, so there's probably some weight to Zaruba's comment, for it to affect him that way.

Sure maybe he wasn't a coward and the real reason he wanted to go to the senate was to learn a new technique, and the reason he decided to stay was because of those human souls, but maybe not. The way I see it, Zaruba's comment about him being a coward definitely affected Aguri in some way, especially by the way he reacted to it, so that just tells me that maybe Zaruba was right to some extent at least. And that Zaruba's comment also played a part in Aguri's decision later on to stay instead. If Zaruba was wrong about Aguri's intentions, then I think Aguri's reaction to the comment would've been a bit different, the way he DID react to it just gives me the impression that deep down he knew that Zaruba was right, or at least partially right.
dancercotillion
Vaglass
Vaglass
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Pityin' foo's.
Quote: Some laws you break.
Some laws break you.

Post by dancercotillion »

He may have been sensitive to the optics of him pissing off out of town just after getting his ass kicked. These are all just ways of saying that, sure, he was really badly shaken by his failure to take down the Horror and had a crisis of faith in himself over it, however. Ultimately, he sacked up and look his lead from Ryuuga's forthright, graceless advice.
MadCow
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: W
Dreamy: Watanabe Natsuna
Favorite Actor?: Takeru Satoh
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: miraculous
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by MadCow »

The plot is starting to ramp up. I enjoyed this episode, it had a lot of moments, both emotional and character developmental, though I didn't like both OP and ED, and Takeru's freakout ruined the mood again. Also we get to see more armor this time around.

So.... it looks like Vol City is one big food farm. Lure people into the city with false promises and raise their hopes, then harvest them. That's some nasty work going on for sure, and now it is confirmed that the Kaneshiro group is behind it all.

Also, I think these madou horror will have something to do with Garo's current black form. The golden wave seems to be only affecting Ryuuga, so it has to be important plot-wise.
MissTokuLover
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by MissTokuLover »

dancercotillion wrote:He may have been sensitive to the optics of him pissing off out of town just after getting his ass kicked. These are all just ways of saying that, sure, he was really badly shaken by his failure to take down the Horror and had a crisis of faith in himself over it, however. Ultimately, he sacked up and look his lead from Ryuuga's forthright, graceless advice.
Well you basically just proved my point. His earlier failures really affected him, he finally realised his own weaknesses & vulnerability and was sensitive at that time, it showed that he was mentally weaker than he had been letting on. When you're in that kind of situation, you're more prone to feelings of wanting to avoid facing the problem head-on. So when Zaruba called him a coward, that was like the final nail in the coffin, if Zaruba was wrong about him being a coward, I doubt those comments would've affected Aguri that much, but instead, he was genuinely bothered, which gives me the impression that there's some weight to Zaruba's comment.

As for Ryuga's advice, well, at that time he still didn't understand Aguri much nor the way Aguri prefers to fight. But I think Ryuga's advice was wise, he was basically trying to urge Aguri to keep fighting, it doesn't matter that he failed to kill that Madou Horror & got his arse kicked instead, it doesn't matter what kind of fighting technique he uses, what's important is to suck it up and continue to fight the best he can as a Makai Knight. That was basically what Ryuga was trying to say to him, he was trying to encourage him, but like always, Aguri just coldly brushed him off.

So I'm glad that ultimately in the end, Aguri finally started to acknowledge & appreciate Ryuga. And he did eventually take Ryuga's advice, I mean, Ryuga basically told him to keep fighting with all his strength using whatever technique he can, and that's what Aguri did, he fought that Madou Horror the best he could without transforming into his armour, even though he was basically getting his arse kicked again for the second time, he didn't give up, killing that last Madou Horror in the ep was a team effort (but it was mainly the partnership with Ryuga & Aguri though). I think subsequently, Ryuga's advice really helped Aguri to open up more and move forward from his past failures. Actually, I think Ryuga is even starting to influence Aguri a bit!
Last edited by MissTokuLover on Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alessar
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Nexus
Favorite Actor?: Konishi Ryousei
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: K-Dramas
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Alessar »

I hate the new OP. The new ending is cool though. (I have not really liked any of the vocal openings but at least I tolerated Savior in the Dark. I'm gonna skip the new OP credits every time from now on though.)

Loved the personality upgrades Ryuga and Aguri got in this episode. Rian continued to appeal. Takeru's acting just bothers me sorry, but the rest of the cast is bringing their A games now. (Plus the writing is a lot better I think).

So I guess all the Makai Knights spent a point in the "Instant Disguise" perk. Also, Ryuga handled a wand, albeit after it was maybe activated by its owner. This confirms something I've theorized for a while. I think the core spiritual power you need to be a Hoshi or a Knight is the same, but it needs to be trained. Ryuga also didn't use a lighter and he just doesn't bother with Zaruba. So... I think these guys actually know some magic, which is an interesting evolution.

The gold wave explanation is far overdue. Apparently Ryuga didn't tell anyone besides Rian he has psychometry ... or is it empathy? It's clearly an actual psychic power. Kouga used to be able to sense horrors by himself (Zaruba had longer range) so I wonder if he'll be able to attune to Madou horrors and discard that new sensor eventually?

Luna, I agree with your comments about the duo. It was barely subtext, and I swear they had a deliberate camera angle to make it look like the guys were almost kissing. I'm sure there are carefully made gifsets on Japanese tumblrs right now.
MissTokuLover
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by MissTokuLover »

How can anyone "not" appreciate the old ED themesong 'So long' by Ootomo Kouhei? To me, that song is one of the best songs we've had in Garo, it's so catchy and the lyrics are very touching, and Ootomo has a great voice! :D

Anyway, Ryuga is psychic, that's obvious from the beginning, although he had only told Rian about his gift, but I'm sure the other guys had figured it out by then when Ryuga used his psychic abilities to channel in on the voices of those human souls. But at the moment at least, he clearly doesn't have the ability to sense Madou Horrors, otherwise they wouldn't need that sensor.

As for the Ryuga-Aguri duo, I'm not really into yaoi but I can just imagine this duo starting to gather some momentum among shippers! Although I'm still rooting for Ryuga-Rian! :)
gh0stwrit3r
Kamen Knight
My boom: Grounded

Post by gh0stwrit3r »

old japanese men are athletic af. xD
JustiFan
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by JustiFan »

I'm just glad Aguri actually managed to laugh a little at the end of the episode; I don't think we've ever seen him act that way before now. In fact, with that expression, no glasses and having been rolled in the mud, the guy actually looked like a completely different person. Probably wasn't intentional but I liked it all the same.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault

Post by takenoko »

JustiFan wrote:In fact, with that expression, no glasses and having been rolled in the mud, the guy actually looked like a completely different person. Probably wasn't intentional but I liked it all the same.
Nah, that's just called good directing
MissTokuLover
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by MissTokuLover »

I agree, we definitely saw Aguri in a different way in ep 13, he had always been portrayed as cold and distant, so it's good we finally get to see him softening up a bit in this ep.

Frankly, I didn't like Aguri at first because of his cockiness & coldness towards Ryuga and Takeru, but after seeing a different side of him in this ep, he's starting to grow on me now.

Return to “~Yami wo Terasu Mono~”