V-Cinema Ghost RE:BIRTH Kamen Rider Specter Released

G-g-ghosts?!
Forum rules
Kamen Rider Ghost Wiki Link

< Drive | Ghost | Ex-Aid >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Rating

☆☆☆☆☆
16%
☆☆☆☆
16%
☆☆☆
13%
☆☆
26%
29%

Total votes: 31
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

V-Cinema Ghost RE:BIRTH Kamen Rider Specter Released

Post by Lunagel »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Ghost_RE:B ... er_Specter

FUCK THIS MOVIE.

Ahem.

Fuck this movie.

Putting everything else aside, let me just ask this simple question: Why? Why make this? We already had a prologue of sorts with Legend of Alain (which explained almost nothing) and an epilogue HBV (which explained more nothing). This doesn't really explain anything, just add more questions. Who really wanted this? I can't even say anything positive about it because it has no redeeming value. There's no good dialogue, I'm not happy to see any of these characters again, and I certainly am not taken in by anything done here. It's such a blatant cash grab it's honestly insulting.

Was this really what they had in mind for Makoto and Kanon's backstory from the first? Why did they make almost no effort to explain it in-series? If all those Makoto clones were failures but there were at least 3 or 4 in the series that could transform were they actually failures? Did Alain know about this or what? What was the point of that fucking egg song?

The production values are fine but it's clear that not an an ounce more of effort than absolutely necessary went into this movie. The acting is mediocre, the story is downright laughable, the sound editing was fucking awful in some parts (the rain scene was particularly hard to make out the words), and the dialogue was incredibly trite, especially Alain's speech at the end.

I feel like I've wasted like 5 hours of my life on translating and editing this stupid movie and I can only hope you all suffer as much as I did because misery loves to make other people miserable.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: V-Cinema Ghost RE:BIRTH Kamen Rider Specter Released

Post by takenoko »

That story was garbage.

Were the Makoto clones something that showed up in the main series?

What's with toku and having a song in it lately? Did they learn it was a way to fill up the time. Speaking of which.

This is my padding song~ I hope you will sing along~

This movie had too much padding~ It makes me full of angering~

How can a movie that's just a little over an hour feel so long? Let's analyze and deconstruct this story, because it deserves to be nitpicked to death.

We know the bad guy is bad because he kills Takaiwa Seiji at the beginning. But then, he doesn't do anything until the last ten minutes. So there's no real conflict except for when Makoto has angst break downs and he gets in a really strained friendship fight with Alain. And Alain loses... even with the power of friendship upgrade? As long as we're being cliched as-fuck why not have Makoto literally stab Alain in the back.

What is egg man's plan anyway? He modifies the people that follow him, and plan to kill the ones who don't. But then plan to kill the ones that did follow him anyway? Or was that just because he was missing an arm? Did the director have the hots for Aya Marsh, so they gave Makoto another little sister? Chloe didn't really do anything!

Hey Alain, if you're going to give a speech about friendship, maybe the friend from your story should be there. I mean, his little sister is there. I'm no expert on how PR works, but it kind of sounds dumb if you talk about this guy and he can't be bothered to show up to your big shindig.

Also force ghosts. I'm out
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

takenoko wrote:Were the Makoto clones something that showed up in the main series?
They were. I believe the show tried to explain that they were related to Makoto taking the Deep Specter Eyecon and the Ganmaizer wanting to study humans. The clones after a while started to resemble Makoto to the point not even Kanon could tell the difference apart.
Lunagel wrote:Was this really what they had in mind for Makoto and Kanon's backstory from the first?
That's debatable. I mean, it'd imply that Takuro Fukuda wrote the episodes he did of the first quarter (1-5, 7-8, 11-12) to introduce Kanon, disappear after writing 27-28 and write the summer film (100 Eyecons, which introduced Makoto's dad), return to do 39-40, 47-50 and give us this (which doesn't mesh with 100 Eyecons) as some big, master plan.

:?
TorchWood
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Pirate Sentai GoKaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Special Operations Squadron Go-Busters
Alignment: Lawful Evil

Post by TorchWood »

Would this be something Kinga F be interested in?
Something happening on a show turns into a board comment.
Ixalion
There are five lights!
There are five lights!
Favorite series: OOO's
Dreamy: Hana-Chwan!!!
Favorite Actor?: Takeru Satoh
Favorite Band: ONE OK ROCK
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: GUNDAM!!!
Quote: "It's not because I am nice. That's why I can't tell you to trust me. It's not like I can save everyone, right ? But if I don't reach out my hand while I can, the regret would make me wish I were dead. I reach out my hand because I don't want that." - Hino Eiji , Kamen Rider OOO.
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Ixalion »

Not sorry for egg puns I'm about to use.

This was not an egg-hilarating movie to watch, story was not Egg-ceptional and overall everything was just a scrambled mess

Only gets a one star from me only because I liked the Sin Spectre and Burst Necrom suits as they stood out more Egg-stravagently for me...that's it.
SengalBoy
Quote: Yare yare daze~

Post by SengalBoy »

Isn't V-Cinema releases usually indicate that the KR show is popular enough to warrant a spinoff? Pretty sure everyone hates Ghost even in Japan. Unlike Double or Gaim or Drive, nobody asked for this.
iori93
Favorite series: Blade
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger
Dreamy: Luka Millfy
Quote: saa omae tsumi wo kazoero!

Post by iori93 »

Fuck this movie. Fuck ghost
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Ninninger got a V-Cinema also so Toei doesn't care as it gets them those yen.

Chloe has the hands of an old woman for being so young.

Speaking of her, she didn't really much to do just like Takuru since for some reason, he didn't fight once as Ghost.

Also when was this filmed? It seems like they got Takuru's hair color corrected from the Heisei Generations movie because his hair was way too bleached. Also Akari has longer hair in Specter but still short in Generations.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I like how they kill off Takaiwa Seiji early on.

"Ghost doesn't really do anything in this movie. Mind dying at the very beginning?"
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

Phoenix512 wrote:Also when was this filmed? It seems like they got Takuru's hair color corrected from the Heisei Generations movie because his hair was way too bleached. Also Akari has longer hair in Specter but still short in Generations.
I think this is after generations considering Makoto and Alain never used their final forms in the crossover movie. I think they just gave Akari hair extensions to make it seem like time had passed.
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Kiriko
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Yakuza Video Games
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Kurokage X »

hmm, I don't know what to say about this
Sin Specter looked cool with the fallen angel motif but Necrom's "devil trigger" upgrade form looks bad for the head piece and jacket. On a side note, I should add more to my Devil May Cry & Ghost comparison
As for the story what is this, more and more questions are ask and none are answered so why is this real other than waste people's time and film this mess of a plot? We got Jairo dead but who cares about him, Saionji is dead for good but who cares about him, and we got Onari being funky. Danton is not a good villain because he hasn't done much in this until it's the climax, with a monster form that comes out of nowhere because while it looks nice comes out of nowhere, not to mention doesn't appear like a villian but more like a dude getting a hero role but is edited to look like a villain. The Makoto clones plot is retconned since it's not tied to the Shin Specter but because Adel found the cloning facility and are prototypes so why can they transform.

Takuro Fukuda I'm putting you on my list on writers I don't recommend or would want to acknowledge as a Kamen Rider writer, stick with Ultraman. You make Toshiki Inoue look like a better writer in comparison and some of his stuff doesn't do well
Currently Watching
Super Sentai: Kiramager
Kamen Rider: Saber
Ultraman: Z

Finished Watching
Super Sentai: Go Onger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger Onward
Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Kabuto, Kiva, Fourze Onward
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, X, Orb-R/B
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

WTF was this movie?

No seriously. We can't just have V-Cinemas for everything because then the shit ones like this might tank them.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Who voted 5? Defend your answer!
Eternal_Winterbane
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Go-Busters
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Eternal_Winterbane »

Can't really add anything to fuck this movie. As with Ghost the series I really only enjoyed it for the suits as they were interesting enough, that and no matter how shit the series i am too stubborn to abandon it :P that said I really like the Sin Specter jingle and the form. However apart from the lazy plot, character development and pacing (especially with the villain) I can't believe that laziness extended to making the Burst Necrom eyecon non-compatible with the necrom driver itself, (due to the error sound before the call) I mean come on, you made three different colours of the same eyecon, i doubt it would be that hard to do another and add in the new form calls. *sighs* Let's hope if we get good ex-aid ones
Des_Shinta
Favorite series: OOO
2nd Favorite Series: Kuuga
Dreamy: Ayumi Kinoshita
Favorite Actor?: Steve Blum
Favorite Band: JAM Project

Post by Des_Shinta »

SengalBoy wrote:Isn't V-Cinema releases usually indicate that the KR show is popular enough to warrant a spinoff? Pretty sure everyone hates Ghost even in Japan. Unlike Double or Gaim or Drive, nobody asked for this.
They also do them as an attempt to actually get what they wanted out of a given series monetary-wise, as shown by Gobuster's, Toq's and Ninninger's V-Cinema's after said shows underperformed. It seems to be a both-extremes kind of thing, either; "people loved this show! let's Give them more content even if it Severely hurts the material people loved" or "What? people hated this show? let's try and fix that by giving them something else for it to see if they'll turn around!"

I still stand by Amazons' production screwing over Ghost--those that like Amazons I'm happy for you and not saying you shouldn't have gotten it--as it's death spiral didn't begin until Grateful's debut and the following resource shortfalls. It's early issues would still have been in the manageable zone had they been able to fix them before their midway point...But goddamn, even with a movie that gave them a key opportunity to FINALLY give the Ganma world exposition they were prevented from doing, they entirely wasted this.
And it's not like Fukuda's an inexperienced writer, but it really felt like...there was no coordination or discussion about what the show was and where it was going between him and the other writers for it's storyarc, and then he had nothing and no time to establish or develop anything in more than a handwaved fashion with how he wrote less than half the series he was the head writer for. Keiichi Hasegawa seemed to want to more orient this to a Clarkes-law driven series with advanced technology being behind these ghosts to more befit Kamen Rider's Cross of fire motif, Fukuda attempting the spirituality/God-being apotheosis stuff which floundered as you can't just splash that in to something and make it work.
In a way, it felt Like what happens whenever Inoue and Kobayashi share credits on a series; they contradict each-other Due to their clashing ideologies despite them both preferring a similar tone to their writing. In Ghost's case, that contradiction left the show aim- and directionless, despite the supposed goal of the show being given in the first damn episode.
..Oooh god,that first episode was so promising, Too. I mean, remember when the Ganma actually were ghosts that were lacking identities, not projections of people put in stasis chambers because their world was inexplicably toxic?

I don't think anyone will argue with naming Ghost the worst series of the Neo-Heisei Run. As even if you're someone who doesn't care for Amazons like myself (I really just cannot get into it), as Season 2 has shown it's at least been building to some form of point intending to justify it's general unpleasantness and flaws.

Return to “Kamen Rider Ghost”