Build New World Kamen Rider Cross-Z

A genius Rider who builds everything.
Forum rules

Kamen Rider Build Wiki Link

< Ex-Aid | Build | Zi-O >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Build New World Kamen Rider Cross-Z

Post by takenoko »

Wiki

I thought this movie was a disaster. It's all the worst bits of Build compressed into an hour and it shows.

I don't get it. I like the characters. But any time drama has to happen it's the worst stuff I've seen, and the artifice of it shows. You know how Grease is just a Rider that exists to show up first, get beaten up, to be saved by Build? That's how all characters are like in this who aren't Banjou. They're fodder so the hero can be motivated to save the day. It's even worse when it's female characters because fridging is a thing.

If you still want to see my super negative reaction to it, click the spoiler:
Spoiler
What? The backstory for the Lost Smash not being restored is pretty weak sci-fi.

I guess as a story this is okay, but man Build has some of the dumbest sci-fi. Banjou has Evolt genes. No wait he loses them. No wait, he changes his fucking DNA. No wait Evolt put a small part of him in Banjou. It's a fantasy story where there's no real rules, I get it. It's just dumb.

Burn to death in an alternate dimension? Your body gets restored, but it's still got burn marks. For reasons??? But not the face or arms. Cause the lady still has to be pretty.

Hate how Evolt is retconned into being a protagonist into this. None of the stuff related to the Blood Planet aliens make any sense.

A spider huh? Guess our Rider snake, bat, spider collection is complete.

God I hate this drama bullshit. Like anytime this show stops to try to tell a story it's the most tedious things. I like the characters, but not that has nothing to do with anything that comes from "main plot". It's just the worst story.

Poor Sawa, reduced to just being the driver for the main girl guest star.

Good thing Sento knew that Banjou would save her this time after putting her in danger in a battlefield... The worst.

Oh, wait, this is getting worse. Amazing! She's literally there to motivate/power up Banjou.

As terrible as this story is, at least we get to see Banjou's actor convulsion acting any time Evolt leaves his body.

Wait what? They're just letting Evolt go? He literally told you he'll be back. The whole point of bashing two worlds together was to prevent Evolt from happening since you literally can't beat him normally. He told you earlier that he killed your parents! Banjou, he's not your friend!

Oh great Yui likes him now.
Nagao Mariya is a cutie.

Oooh, I was wondering if that was Shindo Gaku, but ultimately decided it didn't look like him. He's looking good!
BreadToku
Gabu

Re: Build New World Kamen Rider Cross-Z

Post by BreadToku »

So I love Kamen Rider Build, and I thought that my enjoyment of seeing the characters again would at least carry me through whatever kind of flaws this film's story would have. It didn't! If anything, that made it worse!

Literally every story development and sci-fi explanation that happens in this movie just frustrated me. Every time they try to add more lore to this show, they just make things worse. It was already hard enough to buy in the Be The One movie that Evolt apparently just had three other alien partners around. Now he has this older brother, and I could feel the veins in my forehead popping when they tried to make Evolt look 'less bad' in comparison.

Speaking of, I dislike Killbas a lot. On top of his existence taking away from Evolt as a villain... his actor overacts pass the point of being entertainingly stupid and just lands in regular stupid. I don't doubt it was intentional to make him look really zany, but I got tired of his presence really quick. His design is cool, at least.

And the other introduced character, Yui, is... um, there. I don't want to sound mean since the actress does a decent job, but I couldn't stop thinking about this character really didn't need to exist? Killbus alone would have been enough to kickstart the plot, and if you needed a second person to hang around Banjou... That's what Sento is for, I figured? His belt being stolen prevents him from transforming, so it's not like he would have stolen the focus away from Banjou, I don't think. And if not, then whatever she was doing could have been given to Misora or Sawa.

I don't necessarily mind the other characters getting their memories back, it is even nice to see them reunite! But... they don't get to do anything afterwards? At the very least, you think Grease and Rogue becoming riders again would lead to a triumphant return but no, from the second they appear and until the end of their screentime, they are just constantly being beaten up! It's absurd. In that sense, I honestly think Misora and Sawa got the better end of the deal in this movie in that at least we didn't focus entirely on how not-effective they are.

And then there's Evolt, by far the biggest sticking point here. For all the faults the narrative of Build had, I still ultimately really liked him in that show and thought he was a great villain. But him just being back in this movie seriously feels like a spit in the face of the show's entire story. They merged two whole different parallel worlds together in order to destroy this guy! And this movie just says 'oh nah, actually turns out he's fine'. Most ridiculous of all, he just leaves at the end and nobody cares? Our heroes are just like 'yeah you better not cause any trouble'?! He's going to freaking destroy entire planets, you idiots!

I understand that Evolt needed to have a role in this film, but there had to have been multiple better ways to go about it. For example, if they brought back the dramatic threat of Banjou possibly turning into Evolt himself. Or even if he did survive the show's finale, then still only limited to being stuck inside Banjou, and then in the end is either destroyed for good (like sacrificed to defeat Killbus) or just trapped in the new fullbottle so he can't bother anyone. That'd actually be kind of funny, wouldn't it?

Oh yeah, the new form is cool-looking. It's a fusion sort of thing like Cross-Z Build from Be The One was, though done in a more subtle way. I actually really like the colour scheme, plus the coat looks better here than on Black Hole Evol. It also reminded me of Sin Specter, which I consider a positive.

I could point out little nitpicks like how it still makes no sense for Banjou to be able to access Cross-Z Charge, or how Yui having those burn scars defies all sorts of logic, or asking why does Evolt first come out as Blood Stark, but those things wouldn't bother me regardless of how much I love or hate the film, so whatever.

I don't have high hopes for the next of these New World movies, but I at least can't be disappointed when it comes, so that's good. I think.
Last edited by BreadToku on Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ridebeat
Adventure
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Ghost
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Agito
Dreamy: Shijima Kiriko
Favorite Actor?: Sano Gaku
Favorite Band: DA PUMP
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Video Game
Quote: The law of victory has been set
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Ridebeat »

takenoko wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 11:16 pm Wiki

I thought this movie was a disaster. It's all the worst bits of Build compressed into an hour and it shows.

I don't get it. I like the characters. But any time drama has to happen it's the worst stuff I've seen, and the artifice of it shows. You know how Grease is just a Rider that exists to show up first, get beaten up, to be saved by Build? That's how all characters are like in this who aren't Banjou. They're fodder so the hero can be motivated to save the day. It's even worse when it's female characters because fridging is a thing.

If you still want to see my super negative reaction to it, click the spoiler:
Spoiler
What? The backstory for the Lost Smash not being restored is pretty weak sci-fi.

I guess as a story this is okay, but man Build has some of the dumbest sci-fi. Banjou has Evolt genes. No wait he loses them. No wait, he changes his fucking DNA. No wait Evolt put a small part of him in Banjou. It's a fantasy story where there's no real rules, I get it. It's just dumb.

Burn to death in an alternate dimension? Your body gets restored, but it's still got burn marks. For reasons??? But not the face or arms. Cause the lady still has to be pretty.

Hate how Evolt is retconned into being a protagonist into this. None of the stuff related to the Blood Planet aliens make any sense.

A spider huh? Guess our Rider snake, bat, spider collection is complete.

God I hate this drama bullshit. Like anytime this show stops to try to tell a story it's the most tedious things. I like the characters, but not that has nothing to do with anything that comes from "main plot". It's just the worst story.

Poor Sawa, reduced to just being the driver for the main girl guest star.

Good thing Sento knew that Banjou would save her this time after putting her in danger in a battlefield... The worst.

Oh, wait, this is getting worse. Amazing! She's literally there to motivate/power up Banjou.

As terrible as this story is, at least we get to see Banjou's actor convulsion acting any time Evolt leaves his body.

Wait what? They're just letting Evolt go? He literally told you he'll be back. The whole point of bashing two worlds together was to prevent Evolt from happening since you literally can't beat him normally. He told you earlier that he killed your parents! Banjou, he's not your friend!

Oh great Yui likes him now.
Nagao Mariya is a cutie.

Oooh, I was wondering if that was Shindo Gaku, but ultimately decided it didn't look like him. He's looking good!

That is really Shindo Gaku. But still, I think this movie should have a better ending than this.
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Kiriko
Favorite Band: Jam Project
My boom: Yakuza Video Games
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Kurokage X »

Whooo boy I haven't been in here in a long time. Not that I think anyone in here would probably miss my presence but whatever I come back watching crap. Cross-Z Evol Suit might be the best of Ryuga's forms in my opinion, color schemes and the coat sold it for me. Yui's actress did fine with what she has. and that's all the positives I got

The downsides, good lord. The others get their memories back so yay? But the real question is why? Forget the plot saying how they got their memories, I'm talking why the hell do they get it back anyway when they don't do squat. Kazumi and gentoku get their rider powers back and they get beaten down, how disappointing. Now Yui I see is just there. So she explains that in the old world she was basically tortured to be a lost smash then die for the bottle yet in the new world she still has scars from the insident, how can that happen? as a character I felt meh. she gets pissy over ryuga not saving her and by the end is now dating him. Something's not write with that

Killbas I think is a mess. His rather flamboyantness and ham is so over the top it hurts. His rider form is not bad, maybe a little overzealous with the red but nothing I'd lose sleep over

Evol coming back and is suddenly view as now a lesser than evil and alive again, just hurts me more. the riders created a world where he doesn't exist yet he still is. Makes me think that evol is personally holding the writer hostage to keep him alive in exchange for the writer not being killed by him.

Maybe the next one will be better, can't say I'm confident but gotta have some hope
Currently Watching
Super Sentai: Kiramager
Kamen Rider: Saber
Ultraman: Z

Finished Watching
Super Sentai: Go Onger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger Onward
Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Kabuto, Kiva, Fourze Onward
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, X, Orb-R/B
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I think Killbas' over the top acting was pretty fun to watch personally. If the rest of the movie is bad, at least the scene chewing is fun heh
The M
Infinity
Favorite series: Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
Dreamy: Fumika Baba
Favorite Actor?: Takeru Satoh
Favorite Band: EARNEST DRIVE
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Kamen Rider
Quote: "Now, shall we begin the experiment?"

Post by The M »

Personally I loved Killbus over-the-top personality ! I the only one who watched waiting for him to summon a Stand (from JoJo) ???
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Kiriko
Favorite Band: Jam Project
My boom: Yakuza Video Games
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Kurokage X »

Maybe when I first saw it raw his over the topness was fine, maybe a bit much for me. Looking at it again with a fresh perspective, it just hurts
Currently Watching
Super Sentai: Kiramager
Kamen Rider: Saber
Ultraman: Z

Finished Watching
Super Sentai: Go Onger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger Onward
Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Kabuto, Kiva, Fourze Onward
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, X, Orb-R/B
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I could handle most of the movie. I am probably the biggest Build apologist around here though.

The part that annoyed me though was how the ending effectively undoes the ending of the series. Sento and Banjous sacrifice is undone because A) their friends regain their memories and they can hang out again and B) Evolt it back and promises to come back.

I still reckon that this plot of having these surviving Blood aliens would have been more interesting in the main show then left to the movies. At least Killbas was fun and I enjoyed his spider leg kill finisher.
Dante ShadowRoadz
7X

Post by Dante ShadowRoadz »

So a bromance to a romance and a river of cringe weaving all the way through @_@

Banjou being a joke character but playing it straight was what saved him for most of the series but only cause it played as balance to Sento's seriousness the other 70% of the time they weren't making jokes endlessly. Grease and Rogue coming back was just lip service at best, they could have at least given them a bit of time to shine, maybe forcing Killbas to stay divided into the other Smash so he couldn't fight at full power or something. Other than that, this never really needed EVERYONE to have their memories back, but at least its something of a redemption for the sacrifice they made to save the whole world from being consumed.

Evolt being back of course nullifies that entirely anyways though. He's never not been evil, and he's only going to come back later and start the whole mess all over again. Only thing they have going for them now is that they know the score and have their full armory ready from the get-go. Cross-Z Evol does much better for the Evol Trigger gear than Evolt Level 4 ever did, the black and white was just glaringly garish with the Evol Cobra design and coloring and I never knew why they didn't do a better job of color blending it to make him more suitably menacing. Even Killbas Spider for all its overuse of red was suitably villainous the whole way through.

And good lord, the tsundere is strong here. Yui goes from hate to thirst in the span of ten minutes, and even then she's only potentially fridge material to get Banjou's Hazard Level up again, which we knew Evolt was going to do in the first place. They could have used Misora easily in that and gotten the same effect without having to shoehorn in a new character entirely. And really, the bromance angle with him and Sento was already played up enough, they didn't need to get him a new girlfriend.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I'm a bit late to the party, but I think the 1080p release needs a v2.

Every minute or so I'm seeing the image stutter. Checking my video player logs, it's not a problem with the player - all frames are being delivered as expected. Instead, if I step through the video frame by frame, it's clear that the problem is the video itself. There are frames that seem to be duplicates and out of order, leading to the stuttering. You can see this (relatively) clearly around 13:32.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Huh, that's super weird. I wonder what would cause that. I didn't encode it, but the avs file doesn't have any glaring mistakes or anything that I saw
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:30 pm Huh, that's super weird. I wonder what would cause that. I didn't encode it, but the avs file doesn't have any glaring mistakes or anything that I saw
I'm just as confused as you are. The source would be a 23.976fps Blu-ray, so there's no need for IVTC or other shenanigans. There are no good reasons (that I can think of) for why this would be happening. Which means whatever the cause, it's probably extra stupid. :lol:
DokiDoki Yukai
Adventure
Favorite series: Go-Onger
2nd Favorite Series: W, ToQger
Dreamy: Iwanaga Hiroaki
Favorite Actor?: Watanabe Mayu
Favorite Band: AKB48
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Sailormoon Crystal
Quote: If you're determined to fight...let's see how strong you are.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by DokiDoki Yukai »

WHY WAS KILLBAS SO SWEATY THE ENTIRE TIME? It was so distracting, and not in a good way, like...can somebody just dab him down....dry towel? Church fan? Anything??

Return to “Kamen Rider Build”