KR Grease released

A genius Rider who builds everything.
Forum rules

Kamen Rider Build Wiki Link

< Ex-Aid | Build | Zi-O >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Grease released

Post by takenoko »

Wiki

Good or bad, it feels very much like a Build story. Best parts are the characters and their relationships to each other (maybe too many relationships), worst part are the story and why anything is happening.

Build's best when it's a comedy. It's worst when it's angst ridden and over the top violent. Did the writer have to mess up the pristine new world too?

I'm sort of okay with Sawa and Gentoku ending up together. I'm less a fan of Miitan dating Sawatari. I feel like that relationship was always played for laughs, so it's weird to see it become something. Also the age difference always made it a bit weird and creepy?

I guess this'll mean the end of Build for good. Thanks to the cast for bringing these characters to life.

Notes I wrote while watching
I don't like clean shaven Gentoku

What is going on here? Are the bad guys imperialism Americans?

LOL why did he kill his own man. Build really has problem with the over the top violence sometimes

Wait, why do they want to bring Misora to their base that's already been raided by the enemy once before?

What an unpleasant reminder of why I hate the writing in this series. So Grease, decides not to go pick up Miitan, despite it making the flimsiest of sense. Then decides to go anyway after they're already in trouble so he can rescue them.

Please stop sacrificing the three idiots. Someone protect them from this writer!

Did Takumi just come in with three bottles of pee
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: KR Grease released

Post by Lunagel »

Not the greatest movie ever but probably one of the better after-series release ones. Grease is best when he's mugging for the camera and there was a loooot of mugging.

Lots of gaijin dudes in this. Not sure I really like the frankly overplayed evil foreign minion trope though.

Grease's new form was alright I guess. Not really a huge fan but it looked okay.

So Sento is Katsuragi but Katsuragi is also Katsuragi? This seems like a very complicated family reunion. No wonder Katsuragi noped out with that (kinda sexy) goatee

I mean it was a pretty amusing hour but ultimately they can't really do anything too crazy in a straight to DVD release.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

The one thing that really stood out to me the most in this was that they obviously lost the boots that Sawatari would wear with his costume and didn't want to spring for replacements, so he's wearing UGG boots instead and it really stands out.

That aside, I'm kind of in the 'why did this need to be a thing' group. I love Build, but thought the ending was perfect. I like seeing the characters again, but the plot for this one was kind of weak, especially since the motivation is that apparently the three idiots are dead again (but lol nope). As usual, the comedy notes are pretty good, and I did like that my boy Gentoku ended up with Sawa.

My main issue with this being the last chapter in the Build saga is that Evolt is still alive and running around somewhere, and the conclusion is going to be in a book I can never read.
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

I still choose not to think about what Cross-Z New World did to backtrack the ending to Build. Nothing in that movie happened, as far as I'm concerned. While this movie technically has to take place after Cross-Z, it's easier for me to just see it as it's own thing because... the story is really straightforward V-cinema stuff. New bad guy appears with vague, never-before-seen connections to the existing characters, cause trouble, good guys go fight them and the star gets a new form. I know that was basically how Cross-Z New World went too, but this one at least didn't spit in the face of the TV series' ending.

Just a flashy, superfluous little movie to see everyone (except Evolt, I guess) one last time. Honestly, I don't like Sawa and Misora being paired up with Gentoku and Kazumi. The former is actually inoffensive and even cute, but combined with the latter, it really feels like someone going 'well, gotta have the female characters get together with the guys because that's the only way this will feel complete'. Misora basically is only 'Grease's love interest' in this movie and nothing else.

That aside, the action was fun. I do not like Perfect Kingdom but I get it, it works as a combination of Grease and the trio. I actually thought Phantom Build looked cooler. Also I thought it was funny how Prime Rogue showed up here in a dramatic context. That'd be like if Bibiru (I don't remember how to spell it) Geiz appeared again but we're meant to take it seriously despite it's origins.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Mii-tan and Grease together. Yeah, no. Remember kids, if you stalk and obsess over a girl enough, she'll eventually fall in love with you!
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Catastrophe wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:09 am My main issue with this being the last chapter in the Build saga is that Evolt is still alive and running around somewhere, and the conclusion is going to be in a book I can never read.
Damn it, you're right
Deadrider50
Infinity
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Ghost
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Ex-Aid
Dreamy: Shijima Kiriko
Favorite Actor?: Sano Gaku
Favorite Band: DA PUMP
My boom: Download all Tokusatsu and Anime Series
Quote: I'll do it in my way. Don't butt in
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Deadrider50 »

Catastrophe wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:09 am
My main issue with this being the last chapter in the Build saga is that Evolt is still alive and running around somewhere, and the conclusion is going to be in a book I can never read.
You're right. There is a Kamen Rider Build Novel that is going to be published this fall 2020 (I think). The Producer Shirakura announce that New World Grease isn't Build's ending chapter.

This movie have it's up and down. Kinda enjoyable for me. The final fight was really, really awesome and make me want to get my own Perfect Kingdom (someday). Thanks Build and the main casts for bringing this amazing series come to life.
Last edited by Deadrider50 on Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deadrider50
Infinity
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Ghost
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Ex-Aid
Dreamy: Shijima Kiriko
Favorite Actor?: Sano Gaku
Favorite Band: DA PUMP
My boom: Download all Tokusatsu and Anime Series
Quote: I'll do it in my way. Don't butt in
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Deadrider50 »

By the way... Sorry if I'm being rude but I found a few mistake and translation errors.

1. At 29:02, the "GATAGATA GOTTON ZUTTAN ZUTAN" translation timing is a bit off.

2. At 30:26, the "Hazard Attack" finisher announcement is missing.

3. Another mistake I found at 50:24. It should be "BatEngine" for Mad Rogue's transformation annoucement, not his "own" name like Build Genius, Prime Rogue and Cross-Z Magma.

4. For the the Akaba's finisher, it shoul be "Castle Break! Gakin!" (Just like in the DX Perfect Kingdom) at 56:29-56:31.
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Ashki »

Finally had a moment to sit down and watch this, and I'm definitely in the minority on one point. Kazumi's behaviour has always been creepy and (coming from someone who's had a stalker) definitely makes the "otaku" title fit in the pure (non-American) sense. HOWEVER, I think Misora's always had some potential interest in him. The stalker crap makes you want to keep your distance, but deep down, I think he actually started feeling something more than fanatical idol obsession for her once they began hanging out together. And Misora had the chance in this movie to reflect on how much he's actually grown in this respect.

She made it quite clear in the beginning "short" that she hated his fixation on Mii-chan and seeming ignorance of Misora. But his actions during the movie likely made her wonder if he's actually noticed Misora the person after all. Now, whether or not they'll have a successful relationship, that will likely have to wait for the novel, but it's going to come down to whether or not Kazumi can give up on Mii-chan and realise how lucky he is to have the person instead of the character. If he can't learn to cherish the who over the what, then the most they'll ever be is friends, and I really hope the novel explores this.

Also, Downfall would have made an amazing evil faction for an entire series, but I definitely get why people didn't like having them suddenly crammed into a lighthearted movie. I would love to see how they would have functioned in, say, Amazons.
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I dunno about that, I've never seen Misora show an interest in him personally. It all seemed too one-sided
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I also assume that there is supposed to be a pretty big age gap between them as well.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Catastrophe wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:58 pm I also assume that there is supposed to be a pretty big age gap between them as well.
Well, the actors are 23 and 34. So it's not like an 18 year old marrying a 40 year old, but she's in her early 20s and there's more than a 10 year gap, so your mileage may vary on what you consider creepy, buuuut...
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Kiriko
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Yakuza Video Games
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Kurokage X »

welp, this movie compared to cross-z it's better than that though I don't think that's saying much honestly. The foreign "decepticons seekers" terrorists organization is noteable for the amount of foreign guys in their army, though I don't think that's saying much. And oh this simon guy just exists to give plot exposition and then die for the main bad guy to take over and add yet another character I don't give a damn about to the body count. If I'm gonna make another transformers comparison, he might as well be if megatron took shock wave's post as scientist and then kill starscream who in this case would be that simon guy. Thank god this would be the last time I would have to worry

Metal Build, while it might be an all black Build, I like it. Though if you replace the tank eyes with bat, then we got batman as a kamen rider. Grease Perfect Kingdom, I like that it shows the three crows and grease as one instead of what blizzard did which is just grease colored blue and their logos are on the shoulder pads.

Nice to see the crew one last time. Sawa and gentoku getting together, hmm ok. Misora and Kazumi getting together, ehh a little bit creepy considering it's an otaku getting his idol even if it's mostly gonna be one sided relationship.

Overall, movie is ok though at least I can say bye bye to Build
Currently Watching
Super Sentai: Kiramager
Kamen Rider: Saber
Ultraman: Z

Finished Watching
Super Sentai: Go Onger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger Onward
Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Kabuto, Kiva, Fourze Onward
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, X, Orb-R/B
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

That was an okay movie. Which coming from Build, is about all that I could realistically hope for. So the movie lived up to my expectations, and better still, it was better than the Cross-Z movie.

A lot of this was by-the-numbers, for better or worse. It makes for a very traditional KR plot. It just makes for a very traditional KR plot. Meanwhile it was great that they were able to get all of the core cast together for a movie (this being something past KR movies struggled with), and they wrote the story well enough that it doesn't strain the suspension of disbelief in why Kazumi gets the most focus.

The fighting was pretty good, especially for a direct-to-DVD release. If anything, I think the weak point there was the Perfect Kingdom suit. It seemed like they were being extra careful with it; there were few physical clashes and a lot more CGI there. So I'm willing to bet the suit is a bit on the fragile side of things. It's kind of a so-so design to start with, so there's no love lost there.

As for Kazumi and Misora... yeah. Besides the uncomfortable age gap, there's the matter of essentially rewarding being a stalker. Oh, and Misora got kidnapped and used as a damsel in distress yet again. For as often as she gets targeted, how has this girl not yet figured out the concept of running away from the villains? :|

I'm going to miss the build driver sound effects, though. The "Are You Ready?" shout is always fun.:D
Lunagel wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:50 am Lots of gaijin dudes in this. Not sure I really like the frankly overplayed evil foreign minion trope though.
I enjoyed it. Sometimes It's just fun to be an over-the-top villain. Gaijin smash! :lol:
BreadToku wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:24 am I still choose not to think about what Cross-Z New World did to backtrack the ending to Build. Nothing in that movie happened, as far as I'm concerned. While this movie technically has to take place after Cross-Z, it's easier for me to just see it as it's own thing because... the story is really straightforward V-cinema stuff. New bad guy appears with vague, never-before-seen connections to the existing characters, cause trouble, good guys go fight them and the star gets a new form. I know that was basically how Cross-Z New World went too, but this one at least didn't spit in the face of the TV series' ending.
I like this. It's a fairly enlightened view. There's no undoing the mess that was the Cross-Z movie. But it's a lot easier to enjoy this movie by forgetting about the last one.

Return to “Kamen Rider Build”