Poll: What's your opinion of Ryusoulger?

Another dinosaur Sentai???
Forum rules

Ryusoulger Wiki Link

< LVSP | Kishiryuu Sentai Ryusoulger | Kiramager >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:08 pm

☆☆☆☆☆ What a valiant knight!
8%
☆☆☆☆ Second to red
17%
☆☆☆ Background regular
25%
☆☆ Second worst dinosaur
28%
☆ This is really not my knight
22%

Total votes: 36
WannaFantaMan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Legends of Tomorrow
2nd Favorite Series: Boku no Hero Academia
Dreamy: I have too many to list xD
Favorite Actor?: Kevin Conroy
Favorite Band: Hanson
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Fallout 4 and Elden Ring
Quote: AH, BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!! My mortal enemy!
Type: ESFJ Provider

Re: Poll: What's your opinion of Ryusoulger?

Post by WannaFantaMan »

While I clicked on 4/5, I'm actually giving Ryusoulger a 3.5/5 (i rounded up because I wanted to xD). While it started off kinda weak IMO, it got REALLY good towards the end but I feel like it was a bit too little too late. Also found out recently that Hasbro has decided to use Ryusoulger as the basis for the next Power Rangers season after Beast Morphers is done and I'm like, "..........WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING RYUSOULGER!?!?!?!?" They LITERALLY just finished Kyoryuger not that long ago and this was the perfect time to take a risk and use maybe ToQger or LuPat, but NOPE, BACK TO DINOSAURS!!! Someone hold me please :(
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I ended up giving the series a 4. I think it's very flawed, but not fatally so. Usually when there was a problem, it left me more scratching my head than gnashing my teeth in frustration.

It was too Koh focused, and it was more interested in making checks it wasn't interested in cashing, but I really liked the rangers who weren't Koh and Canalo (sorry Canalo, you were a one note joke).

I remember there were several episodes where I went in going "how's ryusoul going to screw up this week?" and left them going "Oh yeah, I had a pretty good time with that". At worst, this series will be kind of forgettable. And Koh, not the most annoying red at least.
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

It's alright. Ryusoulger may just be the most 'standard' Super Sentai season I've seen. Colourful heroes beat on monsters every week with loud toys until the last stretch where the stakes ramp up and they have an explosive finale. Anything that might have been more interesting story-wise always suffered from lack of follow-up (everything to do with non-ranger ryusoul tribe people like the masters, Set, that prime minister who just left her job...), or lack of pre-planning (Nada, the Druidons in general...) and it was always a shame, but at least never terribly so.

There was just rarely ever anything to dig deeper into. I don't want to fault the show for not being what I would have preferred it to be, and for a standard sentai, it was always nice to look at when it came to action, effects and set-pieces. That is basically the feelings I expect to have on most sentai seasons, really.
Last edited by BreadToku on Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
hiro9796
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: TOQger, Kamen Rider Zero One, Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger VS Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Agito, W, Zero One
Dreamy: Sinon (SAO), Megumin (Konosuba)
Favorite Actor?: Endo Aya, Shimono Hiro
Alignment: Lawful Good
Quote: Ah le le!

Now, count up your sins!

By the power vested in us by the Global Police, we will deal with you by force!

There's only one person who can stop you, me!
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by hiro9796 »

Hurm, I could not even raise one more star even if I wanted to so yes, not my dino knight after all. Sure, I do like certain things like Bamba being a tsundere. But there is hardly anything that could add up a point. In the end, what is Ryusoulgers all about? Are they supposed to imitate Gingaman where they saved their people who got turned into stones? And trust me, as much as I don't like Lupinrangers hogging all the toys, I just don't like Ryusoulgers one man show with the mecha fights. Not even the older generation Sentai does that oftenly. If they actually can have three mechas fight simultaneously, why not do that in the beginning once all three are there? I don't like how most of their deductions towards a problem or rather Minusaur weakness, especially by Melto, does not sound logical in any way to relate even if those were completely made up. DimeVolcano quiz is sensible I believe. That is just it. The pacing and plot progression is totally a mess. Ah, I don't care anymore. This series is just overall garbage and adieu forever!!!
WannaFantaMan wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:21 pm While I clicked on 4/5, I'm actually giving Ryusoulger a 3.5/5 (i rounded up because I wanted to xD). While it started off kinda weak IMO, it got REALLY good towards the end but I feel like it was a bit too little too late. Also found out recently that Hasbro has decided to use Ryusoulger as the basis for the next Power Rangers season after Beast Morphers is done and I'm like, "..........WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING RYUSOULGER!?!?!?!?" They LITERALLY just finished Kyoryuger not that long ago and this was the perfect time to take a risk and use maybe ToQger or LuPat, but NOPE, BACK TO DINOSAURS!!! Someone hold me please :(
Count me in, I was hoping for ToQger or anything other than Ryusoulger. Just that, it's just weird even if I don't care watching Power Rangers now as opposed to before when I had no idea what Sentai is. Last Power Rangers that I ever watched from start to end was only and only Mystic Force. I do watch a bit of Samurai and Super Samurai but that is just it. And don't forget Hasbro wants to sell toys, even though their Transformers toys suck, with lots of gaps, apart from not being all accurate with the ones in the games/animes. And here I wish there were third-party companies who could produce better Sentai and Kamen Rider role play swords and gun toys with substantial length for the blade and handle respectively as opposed to butter knifes or spatulas for kids. There were like at least 50 third parties for transformers
kevinlafriday
Infinity

Post by kevinlafriday »

I've seen enough bad sentai to know this one takes the cake. The characters are stupid. The story is stupid. The enemy is stupid (I've never seen the villain group so unorganized before they felt like small time bandits).

But, what's amazing for me personally is that the red character is not as stupid as Lucky (Kyuuranger) and Takaharu (Ninninger). I thought it would be the worst, but at least it redeemed itself (about 0.5%). The only redeemable character of this series is indeed Bamba. He is the most logical and reasonable character, not like the others who, because of sentai tropes, have to be idiots.
KamenriderDuel
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: OOO
2nd Favorite Series: Go-Onger
Dreamy: Escape
Favorite Actor?: Gai
Favorite Band: Everyone
My boom: Trains
Quote: "No quotes please"

Post by KamenriderDuel »

I really didn't like this series, but I have to admit I loved to hate it. Other seasons I didn't like I just dropped, like Goseiger, Zyuohger, and Ninninger, but this one kept me around for some reason. Its writing was comically bad even for a Sentai but I kind of loved it. When this series first started I had such high hopes for it, but it quickly started to almost become "The Room" of Sentai to me. I don't want to see much more of them, but it was at least fun laughing at them for awhile.
hiro9796
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: TOQger, Kamen Rider Zero One, Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger VS Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Agito, W, Zero One
Dreamy: Sinon (SAO), Megumin (Konosuba)
Favorite Actor?: Endo Aya, Shimono Hiro
Alignment: Lawful Good
Quote: Ah le le!

Now, count up your sins!

By the power vested in us by the Global Police, we will deal with you by force!

There's only one person who can stop you, me!
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by hiro9796 »

KamenriderDuel wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:33 am I really didn't like this series, but I have to admit I loved to hate it. Other seasons I didn't like I just dropped, like Goseiger, Zyuohger, and Ninninger, but this one kept me around for some reason. Its writing was comically bad even for a Sentai but I kind of loved it. When this series first started I had such high hopes for it, but it quickly started to almost become "The Room" of Sentai to me. I don't want to see much more of them, but it was at least fun laughing at them for awhile.
Wow, that is what I feel with Lupin VS Pat, just from the perspective of toys.
kikaida
IXA
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Blade

Post by kikaida »

I first started watching Sentai with Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger. This is the first Sentai that I couldn't wait for it to be over. When I first heard about Ryusoulger I was hoping for dragons . . . not dinosaurs. Ryusoulger is done and I have hope for Mashin Sentai Kiramager, partially because I liked Mahou Sentai Magiranger and Go Go Sentai Boukenger and Kiramager looks like a mash-up of the two. I thought the cops and robbers idea of Kaitou Sentai Lupinranger VS Keisatsu Sentai worked well and I liked it much more than Ryusoulger. Ryusoulger RIP.
"There is no charge for awesomeness . . . or attractiveness." Po.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Ahh Ryusoulger. If nothing else, I think it's safe to say that this is going to end up being a memorable series.

I wish I could say it'll be memorable for being a great series, but sadly that's not going to be the case. There's just no escaping the fact that, similar to KR Ghost, something clearly went very wrong behind the scenes. This isn't a series that executed well on bad ideas (e.g. Ninninger); instead, it's a series that is going to be defined by the fact that it didn't execute on anything very well.

Going into this series, a lot of us were expecting Toei to make a carbon copy of Kyouryuuger, the incredibly successful Dino Sentai that pretty much ran for another 4 years after it was done. But much to my surprise, this show generally tried to do its own thing. The toys were definitely aping Kyouryuu - the heroes just put their widgets into swords instead of guns - and we got that incredibly awkward and not at all catchy ending dance, but from a plot and characterization perspective it went in a very different direction at times. Which is good. A clone of Kyouryuuger may have done better, but it would have been entirely creatively bankrupt, and probably pretty boring as well.

Still, this was definitely a conservative series a lot of the time. It frequently avoided taking big risks and it seemed to be content being almost sitcom-like at times, with action scenes thrown in. And toys. Lots of toys. Oh so many toys. In fact I kind of pity the writers there: it can't be easy to write a good show around having to show off a new soul or mecha every week for what felt like the first 6 months.

Conservative series can still work, but it means the underlying writing has to be very tight. Since you take no big risks there are no big rewards to reap; you can't accidentally succeed on the strength of one element, in spite of weaknesses elsewhere.

And this is where Ryusoulger struggled. While there were clearly attempts to do big, series-long arcs, most of them didn't stick. The Elder that showed up 3 time. The Ryusoul tribe. The Druidons in general. Etc. Even when they had interesting ideas on the table like Gaizorg, they never could stick the landing. Nada was an intriguing character, but he never got the development needed to completely connect with him. And his downfall after his heel-face-turn was all too sudden.

Instead the strength of the show was on its characters, which delivered mixed results. All of the characters are fun, and even Canolo's stupid marriage shtick can usually be overlooked. Koh is definitely overexposed - which in turn exposes the fact that as a character he's somewhat bland - but he's likeable. And importantly, as the Red, he's not a hyper goofball running off of idiot energy like Takaharu or Lucky.

The real standout here, of course, is Bamba. They wrote a stoic 80s/90s character into a modern Sentai, and it worked beautifully. While I suspect this was done mostly for contrast reasons - both with his brother and with the core three - it none the less became a genuine reminder of how cool a stoic hero can be. The world is going to pot? He's going to man up and get the job done without freaking out. In a better world, he would have been this series' red, but besides the fact that he's just a bit too old by Toei standards for the face of the brand, I just can't see Toei doing another stoic red; it doesn't fit their market. In lieu of that, I hope they seriously consider using him in KR in a couple of years; he would probably make a fantastic recurring character there. Meanwhile, my one regret is that they didn't take Bamba's advice to kill the minosaur host more often.:lol:

A short-out also goes to Asuna and her actress. As The Chick of the group she had to carry an outsized portion of the show on her own, and it worked well. Especially towards the end of the series, the actress was really working her range, and it showed. At the end of the day Toei probably underused her a bit, which is a shame.

Getting back to Canolo (you will always be Cantaloupe to me), his whole marriage shtick was a drag, especially since he was already the butt monkey to start with. But it would have been a whole lot easier to overlook all of this if his quest had any sort of payoff. Dealing with stupid marriage jokes for 40 episodes, only to not get married in the end (and thus dooming the sea tribe to extinction) was a major let down, and a waste of everything they had done with the character up until that point.

As for the villains, they generally sucked. The Druidons as a whole were poorly handled, and likely were a victim of some last minute changes. But the end result was that we didn't get a fully fleshed out Big Bad, and as a whole the group was disorganized, undermining the perception of any threat. The individual generals were pretty good though; they were kind of one-note, but Tankjou and Cachi had their moments. Meanwhile Wiseru and Kleon became the stars of the villain group. Wiseru was overused at points, but he was great in small doses, especially when they had him go in extra hammy. And Kelon's weird "suffering everyman" status worked very well most of the time. Certainly he was the highlight of the Druidons, and it's a shame he didn't get a proper ending, as that likely would have put his legacy over the top.

Unfortunately the heroes and villains had to live in a series full of faulty world building. World building is season-long stuff, so this is where the series' big problems were especially destructive. It's really hard to get invested in the series and its characters when so many basic aspects of the world were just never explored, or that exploration was never brought to a close. The Druidons, the Ryusoul tribe, Heras. Heck, did anyone remember that Mosa Rex existed after he finally agreed to trust the Ryusoulgers and work with them?

On the plus side, the action was good. I admittedly am too lazy to do a proper count, but I feel like they had Sakamoto directing several more episodes than usual this year. And Sakamoto brings the pizzazz, especially with the untransformed fights (another shout out to Bamba's actor here). It did seem like there was a lot less experimentation with camerawork and such this season, however. There weren't as many first-person shots and long takes this year as compared to the last couple of series. Whenever Sakamoto wasn't directing, it was all quite traditional.

The mecha fights were also notable, both good and bad. On the plus side, we got some fun fights this year, taking advantage of how relatively nimble some of the base suits are. And we also got some cool stunts, like the flaming swords (which sadly, they only ever did once). But on the downside, it's impossible to ignore that elaborate mecha fights just kind of stopped for about 10 episodes in the middle of the series, with no given or apparent reason. It's another indicator that something went wrong behind the scenes.

And finally, I want to call out attention to the last 7 episodes of the series. Now that we've been able to see the complete show, I am very strongly of the opinion that something big happened behind the scenes between episodes 41 and 42. The sudden discontinuity, and quite frankly the show becoming more introspective and better all-around, is a strong indicator that either the last part of the show underwent a major rewrite, or they just threw out the series bible entirely and started winging it.

As a result of this, the entire endgame scenario with Heres doesn't make a damn bit of sense. It's practically a non-sequitur. But once you can get past that, what the series did in its final episodes was a lot more interesting than it was doing the rest of the time. We got better character moments (and better use of the characters), as well as more meaningful stakes. This didn't come without casualties, as pretty much all the world building was tossed aside, as were the Druidons that anyone cared about, but it gave us a glimpse of what the should could have been if it was more organized from the start. The series always had potential, it just took entirely too long to find it.

Overall then, I'm giving the show a 3 of 5, with the good-but-not-great finale helping to drag it up from a 2. Even when it wasn't working well, the show was inoffensive, if a bit spastic. So it avoided the pitfalls of series like Ninninger and Kyuuranger, where you're just glad to be done with the annoying characters. All the while, when the writers could pull something together, then Ryusoulger had its moments of greatness.
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Kiriko
Favorite Band: Jam Project
My boom: Yakuza Video Games
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Kurokage X »

Well, I don't know about you guys but it feels like the last heisei series in toku seem to end on rather weak notes.

To get the positives out: I like the suits, the arm armor gimmick, and armor gimmick even if some of them felt defaulted to one ranger. Mechas, or the concept behind it, are great with the high amount of versatility they can have in battle. Nada's arc I think was great but afterwards it felt downhill. The action doesn't disappoint.

Now for the bad: the rangers, except for Bamba and Nada, are all one note. Guess the plus side is I couldn't muster any anger towards because they don't have much to get angry with. The villains, as much as I love Wiseru, are also one note but as a villain group, they don't feel like a real threat and don't feel like an order is established. The story felt like it went nowhere like what are the reasons for the rangers to fight the bad guys aside from being just filling the roles needed for the show.

In the end, this series felt so so at best or just plain shit at worst. so 2 stars I guess. Seriously how did toku end the heisei era with some weak notes
Currently Watching
Super Sentai: Kiramager
Kamen Rider: Saber
Ultraman: Z

Finished Watching
Super Sentai: Go Onger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger Onward
Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Kabuto, Kiva, Fourze Onward
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, X, Orb-R/B
WannaFantaMan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Legends of Tomorrow
2nd Favorite Series: Boku no Hero Academia
Dreamy: I have too many to list xD
Favorite Actor?: Kevin Conroy
Favorite Band: Hanson
My boom: Fallout 4 and Elden Ring
Quote: AH, BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!! My mortal enemy!
Type: ESFJ Provider

Post by WannaFantaMan »

hiro9796 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:44 pm Hurm, I could not even raise one more star even if I wanted to so yes, not my dino knight after all. Sure, I do like certain things like Bamba being a tsundere. But there is hardly anything that could add up a point. In the end, what is Ryusoulgers all about? Are they supposed to imitate Gingaman where they saved their people who got turned into stones? And trust me, as much as I don't like Lupinrangers hogging all the toys, I just don't like Ryusoulgers one man show with the mecha fights. Not even the older generation Sentai does that oftenly. If they actually can have three mechas fight simultaneously, why not do that in the beginning once all three are there? I don't like how most of their deductions towards a problem or rather Minusaur weakness, especially by Melto, does not sound logical in any way to relate even if those were completely made up. DimeVolcano quiz is sensible I believe. That is just it. The pacing and plot progression is totally a mess. Ah, I don't care anymore. This series is just overall garbage and adieu forever!!!
WannaFantaMan wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:21 pm While I clicked on 4/5, I'm actually giving Ryusoulger a 3.5/5 (i rounded up because I wanted to xD). While it started off kinda weak IMO, it got REALLY good towards the end but I feel like it was a bit too little too late. Also found out recently that Hasbro has decided to use Ryusoulger as the basis for the next Power Rangers season after Beast Morphers is done and I'm like, "..........WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING RYUSOULGER!?!?!?!?" They LITERALLY just finished Kyoryuger not that long ago and this was the perfect time to take a risk and use maybe ToQger or LuPat, but NOPE, BACK TO DINOSAURS!!! Someone hold me please :(
Count me in, I was hoping for ToQger or anything other than Ryusoulger. Just that, it's just weird even if I don't care watching Power Rangers now as opposed to before when I had no idea what Sentai is. Last Power Rangers that I ever watched from start to end was only and only Mystic Force. I do watch a bit of Samurai and Super Samurai but that is just it. And don't forget Hasbro wants to sell toys, even though their Transformers toys suck, with lots of gaps, apart from not being all accurate with the ones in the games/animes. And here I wish there were third-party companies who could produce better Sentai and Kamen Rider role play swords and gun toys with substantial length for the blade and handle respectively as opposed to butter knifes or spatulas for kids. There were like at least 50 third parties for transformers
I REALLY tried to like Samurai, and for a while I thought they did a good job adapting Shinkenger...even though they fucked up alot of small things (changing Heaven, Wood and Land to Sky, Forest and Earth. having the mechs be "folding zords" instead of the awesome sounding ORIGAMI ZORDS, I mean COME ON. Along with some other things), but the moment Antonio showed up, it went down hill SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FUCKING QUICKLY. Not to mention the shitfest that was Clash of the Red Rangers. That had SO many continuity errors, plot holes...not to mention the reason they came up with for why Eka Darville's character didn't de-morph. I will admit though, in my opinion, they did a VERY good job condensing Goseiger from 50 episodes down to 20.
Raziel-Faustus
Favorite series: kamen rider ooo
2nd Favorite Series: kamen rider kiva
My boom: eurobeat
Quote: What is today but yesterdays tomorrow

Post by Raziel-Faustus »

im givin it a 3 mainly as i tried to be positive because there are things i did like in this series namely wiseru and kleon, the suits, the mech fights were generally entertaining, i liked some of the rangers (banba) and the rest werent offensive so thats a fine but its really hard to ignore the fact that the plot never really gets off the ground. then when there was sparks for something interesting in gaisorg they killed him off for the battalizer after that it just became a slog. plus despite how the last five introduced a semi interesting idea in god being the bad guy that should have been set up earlier or at least lay the building blocks. so in conclusion it felt like a lot of missed potential and more focused on checking off a list.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

With 36 votes this series gets a 2.61 out of 5 stars! Quite low compared to other sentai series. Ninninger only surpasses it by getting a 2.5

Return to “Kishiryuu Sentai Ryusoulger”