Ryusoulger 35 released

Another dinosaur Sentai???
Forum rules

Ryusoulger Wiki Link

< LVSP | Kishiryuu Sentai Ryusoulger | Kiramager >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:23 am

★★★★★
No votes
★★★★
10%
★★★
60%
★★
10%
20%

Total votes: 10
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Ryusoulger 35 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Previous episode rating: 3.08 / 5 (12 votes)

Alt Title: Ultimate Gattai of Disappointment

Indian face

Huh. Feels kind of redundant to have both Set and Elder act as mentors.

Wait, is that all we're getting for Bamba and Towa's trial? They just easily succeed? It's cute that Bamba is sharing the eggs he made.

Okay, Canalo's trial is the best. I give you the trial of not being a perv.

Melto, use your dandruff to find a bridge

Pity we don't see the team fending off Pricious more before Koh comes to just handle it on his own

What the fuck. The ultimate combination is just for red/gold to use? Why is Sentai such bullshit nowadays

Feels like in another Sentai, this would have been a momentous episode. As it is, some of the trials are amusing, but overall everything that normally would be cool falls flat for me.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: Ryusoulger 35 released

Post by Lunagel »

A resounding meh.

There's not really any sense of accomplishment cause even after the stupid trials they *still* need Red to come in and save all their collective asses. Plus once again new mech is Red/Gold only. THIS IS NOT KAMEN RIDER GUYS, WE WANT THE OTHERS TO DO SOMETHING.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Exactly my thoughts. These trials took the masters a long time to do, and the power up does nothing for anyone. Not even Red really, it just allows him to figure out the cooldown on his new toy.

And the ultimate mecha still only piloted by Red and Gold.

Lame episode. Lame series.
hiro9796
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: TOQger, Kamen Rider Zero One, Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger VS Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Agito, W, Zero One
Dreamy: Sinon (SAO), Megumin (Konosuba)
Favorite Actor?: Endo Aya, Shimono Hiro
Alignment: Lawful Good
Quote: Ah le le!

Now, count up your sins!

By the power vested in us by the Global Police, we will deal with you by force!

There's only one person who can stop you, me!
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by hiro9796 »

Admit it, this is the worst series for Super Sentai that being a one or two men show. Poor planning, poor execution
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

It was by no means a terrible episode. But I'm also having trouble coming up with nice things to say about it?

What we got was a very straightforward A to B plot. A lot of things happened, and it was almost more than the episode had time for. 6 different trials, a fight against Pricious, a new mecha combination.

But I'm not sure it did any of that especially well. The trials were real hit & miss: Bamba's was great (like everything else Bamba) and Canolo's was a good way to play with an otherwise tired running gag. But then Melto's was kind of dumb, and I'm honestly not sure what Koh's actually was. All I know is that contrary to really making him stronger, it made him smarter by teaching him the weak point in his own weapon.

That Koh has to come in and save the day does rub me the wrong way, however. He's been the focus of the last couple of episodes already. So now we're on the 3rd episode in a row of "Koh shows off his new toy, while everyone else gets defeated so that they can cheer on Koh" and it's getting tiring.

As for the new mecha formation, I kind of like it? One of the smartest things this show has done thus far is not slapping together every single mecha, or parts from every single mecha. So we don't end up with bits and bobs perched on the robo's shoulders and legs because they ran out of other spots to put things. Which, to be sure, the new formation is still a cluster that can't even walk, but it's a lot less of a cluster than other ultimate robos.

The problem, as everyone else has alluded to, is that the creative staff also threw out the other rangers in the process! Even if it's not actually comprised of each Ryusoulger's mecha, I still expect all of them to show up to pilot the show's final combination. The fact that they're not there runs counter to the very nature of being a Sentai. But I digress...

It's a shame the actual fight wasn't better though. There are some moments of brilliance, like having the cluster mech swing Space Dragon around (that was a good cheat, hiding the feet). And I liked the concept of having him fight on land, in the sea, and in the air. But at the end of the day, it was a 90 second fight that was mostly CGI and green screening. It was not a terribly impressive debut.

I'm also left to wonder whether part of the story was left on the cutting room floor. The episode makes a point of the ultimate combination being sealed away - that Mosa Rex wanted nothing to do with it - but no real conflict comes from it. Canolo never has to convince Mosa Rex of anything; he just shows up deciding to trust the Ryusoulgers. So what was the point of that plot thread to begin with?
takenoko wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:23 am It's cute that Bamba is sharing the eggs he made.
That was a legitimately good sight gag. For everything the show doesn't do well, it has been pretty consistent about delivering funny sight gags.

Also, the masters sure get around a lot for being dead people.:lol:
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

ViRGE wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:55 am But at the end of the day, it was a 90 second fight that was mostly CGI and green screening. It was not a terribly impressive debut.
I usually don't watch the episode before I translate, and the effect lines the timer puts at the end for me, so basically in the script it goes:
Let's go!
Battle's over!
I had to double check the transcript to make sure no lines were skipped XD
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I do like that the top portion of the new combination is made of Youryuu-Oh's parts. But it's hard to get into the mecha battles when the story behind them is so empty.

Tokusatsu with a bad story behind it is a hollow thing indeed!
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

It's not like the fight scenes are that great either.

For as meh as Lupin Vs Pat turned out to be, the fight choreography was stylish.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:14 amBut it's hard to get into the mecha battles when the story behind them is so empty.
I still feel like something has fundamentally changed behind the scenes with regards to mecha fights. They still stage them, and sometimes the practical effects work is as great as ever. But overall they are fewer and shorter, and often feel a touch lazier than they were in the first quarter of the series. Where is the series that gave us a robo that wielded actual flaming swords?
Mxylv
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

I'm going to agree with ViRGE that the trials were really up and down. Melto's and Asuna's didn't seem to have anything to do with their characters, whereas Canalo's and Koh's seemed to fit them pretty well (a little disappointed that Koh's ended in a strategic fight rather than a self-realization/actualization moment, but as an analogy for Koh discovering he still has weaknesses it kinda worked?).

The focus was also rather disappointing. How can an episode that revolves around challenging every character to their core still be Red-centric? Did any of the characters learn anything to practically apply to their fighting, beyond Koh learning he has to be selective about when he uses his power? I didn't think it was a terrible episode overall, but the payoff certainly suffered.
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
hiro9796
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: TOQger, Kamen Rider Zero One, Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger VS Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger

Now, count up your sins!

Post by hiro9796 »

Obviously, ultimate combination really is ultimate but why stick with two pilots that can summon all Kishiryuus? For Sentai, Ultimate means you MUST have EVERYONE in there, at the very least all core members if Sixth is unable to join. KyuuRanger seems more justified that the debut of KyuuTamaJin had Lucky and Tsurugi, who realised the flaws of piloting a gigantic robot with 12 sets of pedals and cranks that obviously requiring 10 more people for easier control and full power. This one is ultimate bullshit Toei ever put in a Sentai series. Worst series ever in this aspect. Hypothetically, if I were in charge, I would get this series down to final episode by end of January. March or February is too long to wait. It's loads of bullshits now.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT

Post by Catastrophe »

Especially with this season, where the mechas have been shown to break apart in that lego like format.
hiro9796
TQG
TQG

Now, count up your sins!

Post by hiro9796 »

If the next season Sentai do things like this again, I'm not watching it anymore. It's just getting annoying with doing the one or two men show for mecha fight in a six fighters group. They should just stick with Kamen Riders as the title for Sentai.
Kamen_Rider_Shiki
Douza Uru Zazaado
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
2nd Favorite Series: Garo
Dreamy: Malika
Favorite Actor?: Nao Nagasawa
Favorite Band: Uverworld
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Garo
Quote: "Living by supporting eachother is the game called life," so why can't I get a girlfriend?
"Nobody's Perfect," until you fall in love with them.

Post by Kamen_Rider_Shiki »

Everyone remember six years ago when Kyoryuger had a training episode where everyone grew and was able to fight off the motw except for Daigo? And his development was the episode later? It's amazing how slowly they've turned the latest Dinosaur Sentai into the latest Ninja Sentai.

Speaking of which, dinosaur Sentais don't have combinations with every piece; except the seven piece combination in Zyuranger.
Favorites:
Kamen Rider - Black, Agito, W, Gaim, Drive, Ex-Aid
Super Sentai - Jetman, Megaranger, GoGo-V, Shinkenger, ToQger
Other - Garo, Ryukendo, Rescue Force

Return to “Kishiryuu Sentai Ryusoulger”