Is the swordsmen infighting this year's job wars?

The pen is mightier than the sword!
Galada
Go Go!

Re: Is the swordsmen infighting this year's job wars?

Post by Galada »

While the job wars was easily the worst part of Zero One, it was at least entertaining, with some well-written scenes, fun characters, neat interactions e good morals. While I can't compare it to the the current arc of Saber, since I gave up on this stupid series like 10 episodes ago, just the mere fact that I gave up on watching it weekly when I normally don't do that with Super Sentai or Kamen Rider, no matter how bad it is, tells how much worse I think this garbage is.
KazanZipangu

Post by KazanZipangu »

TheNinjaDragon wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:07 am At this point, I'm just kicking back with popcorn in hand, waiting for Toei to pull a Bleach: The Thousand Year War and say that Ren was destined to die to fulfill an asspull destiny about Armageddon. Then Touma gets his final form out of nowhere, dies and revives in the same episode (or just pull a W/Double), then beats the final boss in one hit. Afterwards, Takuro Fukuda does this in the breakroom to celebrate.

Truly sorry for putting all of this into your guys' heads, but better to prepare for disappointment then have your hopes crushed. If nothing else, this series is at least still more interesting than Ryusoulger (even if I actually liked that show myself).
>Literally Takuro Fukuda after Saber ends it's run: https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/new ... 13/45e.jpg

Which just goes to show that Takuro is a talentless hack who can't do anything right. Especially when he has Keiichi Hasegawa (and to a lesser extent, fellow talentless hack Nobuhiro Mouri) constantly holding his hand.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

decade368990 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:38 am Even the Japanese people are not happy with the way Saber is currently running.
Here is the link: https://lovetokusatsu.com/2020/11/03/ja ... -episodes/
“It’s hard to support the show because you don’t really get to know any characters. The content goes on and on with shallow content. I feel like I’m watching a 30-minute toy commercial.”

“It’s not funny or boring, it’s not much of anything. Even though a lot happens in a 30-minute episode, it feels empty.”
Aeikozz
Faiz
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Aeikozz »

i really need to go back and rewatch the episodes from episode one.

i'm caught up it's just it's very weird when how his friends just straight up stopped trusting him out of the blue.
like i'm trying my best to just judge this series on it's own. but it's soo hard. At least the effects are pretty. i'm watching for the action now.

and i mean isn't that why toei wants me to watch any fucking ways? they don't want me to care about the story they want me to buy the toys.
Twilights_Bard

Post by Twilights_Bard »

I think the biggest issue for me with the infighting compared to the usual conflict between Riders is that in most seasons, the conflict is because of their character traits and how they viewed the world, most recent example being Fuwa and Aruto. Neither were technically in the wrong, but Fuwa's view of Humagear put himself on a course where he was going to naturally come into conflict with Aruto. This happened in Ryuki, everyone had their own paths that ended up crossing the other Riders with only one real way of solving issues.

The Saber Riders though, are pretty much on parallel paths, except when they story forces them into conflict with Touma, and it ends up with this unnatural feeling because they don't seem to be moving down their own paths, they're curving around whenever the staff want to create conflict. It's frustrating because it makes the conflict feel shallow instead of something that can be worked through.
SIRasdf
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa

Post by SIRasdf »

I'll openly admit to Saber never being the BEST series, writing-wise. Like it's not on the same level as Zero-One but that's fine. What does keep me going is two things, the comedy is pretty good and the fight choreography is SPECTACULAR, the four-way fight in the last episode was particularly good. So while yes, the storytelling may not be up to snuff, the show does have enough good going for it to keep me interested.
WannaFantaMan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Legends of Tomorrow
2nd Favorite Series: Boku no Hero Academia
Dreamy: I have too many to list xD
Favorite Actor?: Kevin Conroy
Favorite Band: Hanson
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Fallout 4 and Elden Ring
Quote: AH, BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!! My mortal enemy!
Type: ESFJ Provider

Post by WannaFantaMan »

I actually got so bored of Saber so quickly, I haven't watched it since episode 6. I already had a "meh" opinion of Saber before that point but once I got roughly ten minutes into episode 6, my level of interest got so low that I couldn't even finish watching the episode and gave up on the season completely. The exact same thing happened with OOO but I only got bored with it around episode 40ish when it felt like nothing was really happening to me. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the reasons the writing has been so subpar lately is due to COVID impacting production of Zero-One. The fact that they had to cut the season short probably didn't help with everyone involved with writing Saber as they might have suddenly had the time table moved up for the show. I've also noticed that this happens every couple years to both Super Sentai and Kamen Rider. Ninninger had the same slump at one point as did Kyuranger and in the end you either stuck with it cause you liked what had happened so far or you gave up and just waited for the next series to start. This is probably an unpopular opinion but I HATE Kyouryuger with A PASSION! While I liked the concept of them not know each others civilian identity, the majority of the characters were super fucking annoying to me. King in particular is a MASSIVE Mary Sue IMO and good lord he was obnoxious. Hell the only Kyouryuger I didn't hate was Torin and Nobuharu and since they didn't get alot of screen time at the beginning, I stopped watching it after 3 episodes. I personally thought they did a VERY good job taking the characters and making them less annoying for the Power Rangers adaptation and I ended up thinking it was better xD
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

WannaFantaMan wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:41 pm I wouldn't be surprised if one of the reasons the writing has been so subpar lately is due to COVID impacting production of Zero-One. The fact that they had to cut the season short probably didn't help with everyone involved with writing Saber as they might have suddenly had the time table moved up for the show.
Zero-One lost episodes when they had to halt production but they put recap episodes in their place, so it's not like Saber's schedule was moved up at all. It shouldn't have affected Saber at all except to implement anti-COVID measures
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I love Kyouryuuger so much. I hope someday you'll consider giving it another try, because it's so much fun and it's shocking how well they give each character characterization considering how many characters they add to the damn series. I think it starts slow, but I ended up loving the different commanders and the many rangers and extended heroes
WannaFantaMan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by WannaFantaMan »

takenoko wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:16 pm I love Kyouryuuger so much. I hope someday you'll consider giving it another try, because it's so much fun and it's shocking how well they give each character characterization considering how many characters they add to the damn series. I think it starts slow, but I ended up loving the different commanders and the many rangers and extended heroes
I know about the commanders and stuff but I REALLY don't like how much of a Mary Sue King is and that's my main complaint. While I know there have been other Mary Sue type character before him (AKA half of the Gokaigers IMO xD) they at least had moments where they showed that they DID actually have flaws and some pretty big ones that they had to get over. Not to mention how hilarious and over the top they were at times. King IMO comes off as a super Mary Sue when he hasn't even been on screen for more then two minutes within the very first episode and from the clips I've seen, he kind of stays that way for most of the show. When they adapted it for Power Rangers, they gave his counterpart MASSIVE character development and gave he never really came off as a Mary Sue to me. Also while I'm on the topic of Power Rangers (because WYNAUT), while I really like Go-Onger for how wacky it was, I personally think RPM is better then it's source material. Feel free to shoot me now OTL
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Oh, I never paid attention to Daigo to be honest. I just know he loses his shirt a lot lol. The other rangers are good though and the supporting characters are great (especially some of the past toku veterans). Just my opinion on it
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

WannaFantaMan wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:00 am I know about the commanders and stuff but I REALLY don't like how much of a Mary Sue King is and that's my main complaint. While I know there have been other Mary Sue type character before him (AKA half of the Gokaigers IMO xD) they at least had moments where they showed that they DID actually have flaws and some pretty big ones that they had to get over. Not to mention how hilarious and over the top they were at times. King IMO comes off as a super Mary Sue when he hasn't even been on screen for more then two minutes within the very first episode and from the clips I've seen, he kind of stays that way for most of the show. When they adapted it for Power Rangers, they gave his counterpart MASSIVE character development and gave he never really came off as a Mary Sue to me.
Does your view on Daigo changed if the show actually pointed out his OPness as being an actual weakness?
WannaFantaMan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by WannaFantaMan »

Phoenix512 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:53 am
WannaFantaMan wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:00 am I know about the commanders and stuff but I REALLY don't like how much of a Mary Sue King is and that's my main complaint. While I know there have been other Mary Sue type character before him (AKA half of the Gokaigers IMO xD) they at least had moments where they showed that they DID actually have flaws and some pretty big ones that they had to get over. Not to mention how hilarious and over the top they were at times. King IMO comes off as a super Mary Sue when he hasn't even been on screen for more then two minutes within the very first episode and from the clips I've seen, he kind of stays that way for most of the show. When they adapted it for Power Rangers, they gave his counterpart MASSIVE character development and gave he never really came off as a Mary Sue to me.
Does your view on Daigo changed if the show actually pointed out his OPness as being an actual weakness?
Daigo being a Mary Sue is only one of the reasons why I'm not a big fan of Kyouryuger as I've already stated, but it is a large part for me. I really didn't like most of the characters (with the exception of Candelira, Luckyuro and Aigallon and Torin) in terms of what was shown the first few episodes which can be a deal breaker for me.
Hero99
It's not even funny
It's not even funny
Favorite series: OOO
2nd Favorite Series: Zero-One
Favorite Band: Veltpunch
Type: ISFP Composer

Post by Hero99 »

Honestly the only big problem I see with this current arc is that the infighting started because Touma didn't mention how the lady from southern base was trying to scout him? He just says "oh it's her" and naturally after "everything" that happened with Calibur, the rest of the swords men turn on him.

The whole job wars in Zero One did drag on for a while, but the conflict makes more sense there because they were trying to prove whose product worked best. In Saber, it just feel like someone started a schoolyard rumor about someone, then the kids walk up to them to say "You're not my friend anymore".
Ghost23
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Ghost23 »

It isn't just not having calibur gone that has stagnated the story, it's also the other characters just suddenly going to the southern side. Seriously they fought along side Saber and knows how he is and suddenly they believe some woman they just met over a guy they risk their lives with? Plus they wrote off the one guy that would side with Saber, a bit obvious. I would have thought Rintaro would have the smarts to see the truth but I guess the writers are gonna drag this one out.

Return to “Kamen Rider Saber”